Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: NEO-GEO man
Thread ID: 3430
Thread Info
There are 35 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 8222 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Favourite vertical shooter?
Strikers 1945 PLUS Strikers 1945 PLUS 31%[5 Votes]
Alpha Mission 2 ( ASO 2 ) Alpha Mission 2 ( ASO 2 ) 6%[1 Vote]
Ghost Pilots Ghost Pilots 6%[1 Vote]
Aero Fighters 2 ( Sonic Wings 2 ) Aero Fighters 2 ( Sonic Wings 2 ) 31%[5 Votes]
Aero Fighters 3 ( Sonic Wings 3 ) Aero Fighters 3 ( Sonic Wings 3 ) 0%[0 Votes]
Captain Tomaday Captain Tomaday 0%[0 Votes]
Twinkle Star Sprites Twinkle Star Sprites 19%[3 Votes]
Others ( Please specify ) Others ( Please specify ) 6%[1 Vote]
Total Votes : 16
 Print Thread
Favourite vertical shooter? POLL
NEO-GEO man
What is your favourite vertical shooter on the NEO-GEO?

Im a big fan of Strikers 1945 PLUS, so it gets my vote. Its an awesome shooter. Followed i reckon by Aero Fighters 2 ( Sonic Wings 2 for Japan )

I have Sonic Wings 3 on CD, but im not as much of a fan of that as i am the 2nd game, and the levels are rediculously short or seem to be, not to mension the bullets fly at a crazy speed....

Im leaving View Point out cause its not strictly vertical...

reelmojo
A part of me wants to give props to Captain Tomaday... it's just so hard not to love that little guy. But in all seriousness I have to go with Aero Fighters 2. It only just beats out 3 for me. Twinkle Star Sprites has potential to be number 1, but it also might belong in it's own separate category. If I spent more time with TSS in multiplayer I'm sure it could get my vote though.

Of course, IMO none of these games can touch Pulstar but perhaps that's why you only asked for vertical scrolling shooters.

NEO-GEO man
Its a strange one that Twinke star, but i put it in here cause on NEO-GEO SOFT it is listed under the shooting catagory, so i thought it can go in Wink

You really like Aero Fighters 3 over Strikers? Om a pretty big Strikers fan i guess Wink

Yes, Pulstar is awesome, no doubt, but it isnt a vert, that poll will come later on Smile

NeoGeoNinja
AS WITH YOUR RACING THREAD...
Strikers 1945+ is a game I have only ever played via emulation and I think it's great. I think, it is to the Strikers series, what Sonic Wings Special is to the Sonic Wings series (i.e. a culmination of levels etc from all the games).

First chance I get, I'll gun for a copy of Strikers 1945+ for myself! Grin

HOWEVER...
I would imagine, based on what I have played of the Dreamcast version, that FAST STRIKER is probably the best Vertical Shmup for the NeoGeo. Don't know if you have had chance to play it (at all?) yet, and I know you have a small amount of 'beef' with it already, however, it really is as close to a Takumi or Cave shmup the Neo will ever see. I love the DC release, and legend has it, the Neo version is even BETTER (incrementally, but still)... so my vote would HAVE to go to Fast Striker!

It's a seriously good game, at it's absolute best on 'OMAKE' Shock

I still stand by what I said in my initial mini-review (seen by NGDEV themselves!) and with that, anyone who doesn't play this game - even via a DC, is completely missing out! :(

Perhaps, instead of my ticking 'other', you would be kind enough to 'edit' your opening post/poll and add the option? Then, I'll come back and 'tick it'! Cheers mate Wink

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 27. July 2011 11:52
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

boogiepop
For me it's TSS hands down.
Born to Die

NEO-GEO man
I didnt add Fast Striker, cause its not an official NEO-GEO game. I thought about it, but i decided against it.

Its on the NEO-GEO, sure, but its not in the relms of the others on the list.

NeoGeoNinja
NEO-GEO man wrote:
I didnt add Fast Striker, cause its not an official NEO-GEO game. I thought about it, but i decided against it.

Its on the NEO-GEO, sure, but its not in the relms of the others on the list.

IT WAS DESIGNED...
exclusively for/with the NEOGEO in mind, long after the departure of the hardware's golden era (90 - 00) 6 years after the NEOGEO was OFFICIALLY abandoned by SNK.

Whilst not an official SNK release, the game is still more than worthy of being included in the poll. Based on your sentiments though, I do understand why YOU have chosen not to include it Smile

So, whilst Fast Striker IS my first choice, I opted for my second (first 'official' choice) choice, Strikers 1945+. Well, it has the word 'Striker' in it, so I guess it's close enough! Grin

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 27. July 2011 12:38

NEO-GEO man
I personally think that for what you get with those games, you get a great effort, no doubt, but the price and availability are way out there, and opinions on the games from those that have owned and or played this and Last Hope are so varied, its hard to know what would be the go.

hitorkori
id go Alpha Mission 2 as i grew up playing it in arcade where i lived awsome 2nd cart id own after getting aes bk in 90's sonic wings2 a strong 2nd & tss third Smile

NeoGeoNinja
NEO-GEO man wrote:
I personally think that for what you get with those games, you get a great effort, no doubt, but the price and availability are way out there, and opinions on the games from those that have owned and or played this and Last Hope are so varied, its hard to know what would be the go.

YEAH, I UNDERSTAND...
what your saying. The pricing is a bit crazy, but then new NeoGeo releases always were expensive! It's a shame things haven't changed, but hey.

I have never heard any negative reviews concerning Fast Striker actually, not that I'm saying they don't exist. Just haven't come across any myself. I haven't been on NG.COM either, but no doubt many of those guys (10yr+ members) will probably have a pretty jaded view of Fast Striker, along with the fact it actually exists probably! But hey, if we listened to everyone else all the time, I guess we'd end up liking very little! For me, Fast Striker, as a shmup, is a solid 7.5/10... 8 at a push! Smile

As for Last Hope, again, I have ALSO read mixed reviews. personally, I think the game is alright. It's definitely 5/10 material though, with Pink Bullets pushing more of a 6 - 6.5/10 imo. It's a solid effort, but nothing special... not like the 'Star' series Wink

Out of interest, have you played either of these games? Judging by the fact I usually see you listing your NeoGeo purchases here on a near DAILY basis, the actual MVS versions can't be out of your price range! Pfft Grin

Ninja

slangman
I have played Strikers 1945 Plus at my local arcade fairly recently. It was an enjoyable shooter. However for some reason it just didn't grip me that much, when compared to non- Neo-Geo vertical shooters like Mushihime-sama Futari, which I also played the very same day at the arcades and found it to be much better game.

I'll try Strikers 1945 Plus the next time I go to the arcades again. Maybe then I will enjoy it more on my 2nd play-through, since I sort of have a habit of liking games better the second time.

Only briefly played Alpha Mission II and Aero Fightesr II via emulation.
i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/slangman2000/terry5.gif

STE C
I voted Strikers 1945 + it is a fantastic shooter best v shooter on NG. 2nd must easily be the superb Fast Striker, a brilliant effort form a small studio and the thought of what they might achieve with the next release is very exciting ( especially a new shump or Fast Striker sequel would be cool ).

neogeoeno
STRIKER + IS THE BEST MODERN VERTICAL SHOOTER ON THE GEO NO DOUBT ABOUT IT .AS FOR CLASSIC I WILL PICK THE LAST GUARDIAN DUE ITS NOSTAGIA AND BECAUSE ITS WAS THE MUST FAMOUS PLAYABLE SHOOTER GAME IN ITS TIME (1991)Mai

LIFE_IN_2D
Sonic Wings 2. I love the endings and dialogue, pure gold.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Anselm
Viewpoint

(It's vertical AND horizontal so shut up Pfft)

~Anselm~

reelmojo
Vertizontal? Horical?

It seriously looks like I need to put more time into Strikers 1945+.

I would love to try Fast Striker. It's on my list of DC games to pick up in the near future along with Dux.

NEO-GEO man
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
YEAH, I UNDERSTAND...
what your saying. The pricing is a bit crazy, but then new NeoGeo releases always were expensive! It's a shame things haven't changed, but hey.

I have never heard any negative reviews concerning Fast Striker actually, not that I'm saying they don't exist. Just haven't come across any myself. I haven't been on NG.COM either, but no doubt many of those guys (10yr+ members) will probably have a pretty jaded view of Fast Striker, along with the fact it actually exists probably! But hey, if we listened to everyone else all the time, I guess we'd end up liking very little! For me, Fast Striker, as a shmup, is a solid 7.5/10... 8 at a push! Smile

As for Last Hope, again, I have ALSO read mixed reviews. personally, I think the game is alright. It's definitely 5/10 material though, with Pink Bullets pushing more of a 6 - 6.5/10 imo. It's a solid effort, but nothing special... not like the 'Star' series Wink

Out of interest, have you played either of these games? Judging by the fact I usually see you listing your NeoGeo purchases here on a near DAILY basis, the actual MVS versions can't be out of your price range! Pfft Grin

Ninja

Yeah being able to pay for it isnt the issue, i can easily afford it, but justifying the cost for a game i can only play on my own is abit more of an issue for me.

I think even if the games are total rubish, they are an incredible effort, and Last Hope AES package looks phenominal and worth a shot just for that.

Anselm wrote:
Viewpoint

(It's vertical AND horizontal so shut up Pfft)

~Anselm~

It is, but that makes it isometric Wink So you shut up!! HAHA!!

Ive left it out, but the reason i have is cause i have a grand master plan for these series of polls, where my next will be horizontal shooters, followed by favourite shooter of all time, all on NEO-GEO, and the two after market games will be in that, as will View Point.

View Point is awesome, no doubt there Wink But its not an option this time round.

Strikers is a game that if you take abit of time to get into it, you can have a screen fully loaded with bullets, and you can actually weave through them without too much difficulty once you get the feel for the plain you picked. Its something that blows me away when i can weave in and out of bullets and come out the other side with the same number of planes as i went in Wink

RiKo
I have to agree with Ninja and go for Fast Striker. i would say its an 8/10 shooter too. Thats compared to all other shooters on all-formats. On Neo Geo it's most likely the best vertical shooter out there. i have only played Alpha Mission on Neo Geo but Fast Striker is one of the best vertical shooters you will find anywhere. and its also technically amazing for the Neo Geo. it has a lot of modern elements too which you dont find in other Neo shooters apart from maybe Blazing Star which did have a few more modern-elements. Most people wont be able to play the NG version so get the DC version if you can, then you can play Mars Matrix as well Smile

i really want Strikers! i narrowly failed to get a copy about 2 years ago and i havent had a chance since.

I disagree with Ninja about Last Hope, I have the Pink Bullet version and i think its a really good game. i was addicted to it for a while. The bosses arent very spectactular and are all quite similiar but apart from that its really good. When i got it i wasnt expecting it to be that good. i love the rotating-pod mechanic. i definitelyprefer it to Pulstar. Pulstar looks and sounds better but i think Last Hope plays better and is faster and less-frustrating. Having said all that nothing can match the mighty Blazing Star on NG if you are talking horizontal shooters Smile
Edited by RiKo on 28. July 2011 17:29
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
NEO-GEO man
Horizontals will come in the next poll. Then in the next poll after that, unofficial games such as Fast Striker will be there also.

Riko, if you go for Strikers 1945 on MVS, be careful about what you select to buy, there is a few boots floating around. If you dont care about that fact, and only care that it works perfectly, i have a boot here that was sold to me by a person that claimed it to be SNK made, which i dont believe it is. It works perfectly fine though, exactly as the genuine does, without opening the cart, you cant really tell.

If youre interested in buying it from me, make me an offer.

merlin
TSS is easily my favourite game on that list but although technically it is of course a vertical shooter it feels very different to the others so I can't really compare it. Quite a unique game.

I voted for Ghost Pilots. I've always loved that game and aside from TSS it's probably the Neo Geo shooter I've played the most and am best at. It might seem like a fairly simple game lacking in fancy power ups but for me it's hugely enjoyable. For an early Neo Geo game it actually looks quite impressive.

Strikers 1945+ and the Sonic Wings games are excellent too. For me Sonic Wings 2 is also more enjoyable than the third game Neo Geo Man. I think most people prefer the second game.
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

Jump to Forum: