Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: shion
Thread ID: 3424
Thread Info
There are 12 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 4703 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Arcade Games for the Occult Arcade Gamer
shion
For a while now, I've been keeping a record of arcade games that have stood the test of time (by my account) and are true classics, despite not necessarily being popular. Still, I've found these games to be more entertaining especially when played co-op than your run-of-the-mill, cliche "classics." I've played through all these games with a buddy, sometimes more than once, and they get my firm approval on a night you want to get some buddies into some retro gaming! Lots of these games were suggested to me by regular members on Kaillera (thanks guys), and I'm sure more will come to mind as time goes by (I'm sure I left out a handful I was meaning to list). So, enjoy and feel free to add to the list. The game can be obscure or cliche, as long as you think it can still retain the attention of a hardcore retro gamer... Smile

arabian magic
thunder zone
fixeight
dungeon magic
dark seal
dyna gear
Neo turf masters
Mercs
Fighting fantasy
Riot city
Track & field
dynamite dux
Valkyrie
crime city
cabal
joe & mac
metamoqester
bal cube
blocken
silk worm
Klax
Ninja gaiden
Pig skin 621 a.d.
cadash
gaiapolis
outfoxies
logic pro 2
Rampage
Twinkle star sprites
Spinal breakers
Nba jam
Savage reign
lode runner
bomberman world
exvania
s.p.y.
sexy parodius
riding fight
warriors of fate
Gun force
Cyclic warriors
sol divide
shadow force
turbo force
vandyke
nitro ball
Elevator action 2
League bowling
Game paradise
Pit fighter
quartet
pulirula
princess clara daisakusen
gain ground
Tank force
gundhara
heavy barrel
guardians
Commando
Gaunlets
Karate blazers
Aggressors of dark kombat
Metamorphic force
D&d: som
Combatribes
got-cha mini game festival
cybattler
Edited by candycab on 14. August 2011 03:54

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
reelmojo
How did I miss this thread? Games no one talks about are my favorite kinds of games to talk about! You've compiled quite a list there already! I'm already a big fan of Dungeon Magic, Sol Divide, and Quartet to name a few. I'll definitely be trying out some of your other suggestions soon. I do have a few of my own suggestions off the top of my head:

Three Wonders (if only for Midnight Wanderers)
Martial Masters (criminally underrated 2D fighter)
Cameltry (unclassifiable... kinda like the special stages in Sonic 1 mixed with Kuru Kuru Kururin)
Edited by reelmojo on 12. August 2011 10:27

shion
Thanks Mojo! There really is a lot of great stuff here, whether it be obscure or not I believe the term I was originally looking for was cultish games. Games for the occult arcade gamer would be a more appropriate thread title (can a mod/admin change this please? Smile). I believe this was missed in part to the list not centering around Neo-Geo games, although the games here are undeniably awesome, especially when played co-op or with four others. Grin

Nice suggestions, I know merlin loves Three Wonders. The marble game personally looks cool, I had never seen it before. I will check it out, unless it takes a track ball, which I don't have; it reminds me of Sonic the arcade game. Believe it or not, this Sonic was a really good game, despite its obscurity (I would even add it to the list). It's nothing complex or anything, just a nice quarter muncher. Another suggestion is Dead Connection, a cult favorite on Kaillera, but too violent for me (although I have played through it)...

candycab
Title changed Smile If that doesnt work for you let me know Smile

Probably not playable on Kaillera but these spring to mind in general.

Blaster bye Williams/Midway [1000 produced] has to be one of the best obscure Sprite based shooters ever created. Well its pretty obscure now days anyway. What really makes this game amazing is back in 1983 there wasn't any arcade hardware that could do scaling or rotation yet they managed to mimic it through animation. Here is a little known Blaster easter egg, on the Planetoids levels there are a handful of sprites drawn in Anaglyph 3D that do work when wearing the glasses.

Xeno-Phobe again from Williams/Midway while probably a bit more mainstream is still a fantastic game then of course there is always Robotron which imho will never be surpassed when it comes to the sort of gameplay it offers. For me it will always have the perfect synergy of sound, graphics and game play for the genre.

Probably my most fave of the generation is Sinistar which still own Smile Unfortunately the emulation of which is usually pretty bad and ruins the gameplay.
Edited by candycab on 14. August 2011 08:39
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

RiKo
Nice thread Tobalman Thumbs Up I dont play many arcade games apart from Neo Geo ones. but i really love Klax so i'm glad that's on there. I have that on a PS2 compilation.

I can recommend The Speed Rumbler (again on a PS2 compilation). I used to play this game as Rush N Crash n the arcade and thought it was mind-blowing at the time because it was Spy Hunter but in 8 directions. Also the driver of the car is none other than Super Joe. who also starred in Bionic Commando and Commando. (He is also my Xbox Live gamertag name). Its a tough game and takes a while to get into i think.

I think Shock Troopers would fit nicely into this thread. I dont think its that well known outside Neo Geo circles and never got an official release on AES. Awesome game Smile
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
A lot of quality games on that list Tobal. I particularly like Arabian Magic, Dungeon Magic, Thunder Zone, Dyna Gear, Gaiapolis and Gundhara out of those. These are certainly classic games which have stood the test of time. I looooooove Three Wonders Reelmojo. The shoot 'em up Chariot is good too but you like you say it's all about Midnight Wanderers/Rooster. Beautiful very detailed graphics.

One arcade game that I really love is Uo Poko. Most people I mention this game to haven't heard of it before. It really deserves to be more well known. I've played a lot of puzzle games but Uo Poko is the most enjoyable one for me. Nice that it has a co-op mode too which is unusual for a puzzle game and it works well. I'll be buying the PCB at some point. There's also a semi-sequel 'Mushihime Tama'.
Edited by merlin on 16. August 2011 01:53

shion
Thanks candycab. Those are some blasts from the past! Most of them were made even before I was born... Still, they deserve recognition to this day.

Riko, those are some nice suggestions. I haven't tried the first two, but shall (one day), although I wholeheartedly agree the Shock Troopers series should be here. Smile

Merlin, a game like Uo Poko is exactly what I'm talking about good, cultish games. Bob

LIFE_IN_2D
Glad to see Cybattler on that list. I love that game.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

shion
Games like Cybattler really show how underrated Jaleco was. I like how it's part beat 'em up, part shoot 'em up (the action leaning more toward the shooter part). I know of a couple other games that incorporate this concept, like Bucky O'Hare (Konami) & Sol Divide, off the top of my head. It's too bad the concept didn't take off because it's a really good combo.
Edited by shion on 16. August 2011 22:48

reelmojo
I think I should throw Sunset Riders into the mix here. Sure, it was pretty popular at the time, but ask the average gamer about it now and they probably won't know what you're talking about. It never got a sequel and it hasn't seen a home release since the SNES version in 1993. It could use a rerelease on XBLA/PSN or even Virtual Console. Being a Konami game, I sincerely hope we haven't seen the last of it.

And if Sunset Riders is too famous for you, how about The Crystal of Kings? It was made by BrezzaSoft in 2001, a company that went on to develop some Metal Slugs (some of their members had worked on past Metal Slug games as well). It's a fantasy themed hack 'n slash beat'em up with amazing graphics and music. It's definitely one of my favorites. SNK later bought out BrezzaSoft so it's possible the rights to the game are owned by SNK now.

And since I'm suddenly in the beat'em up mood I'll mention Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon. A lot of guys might skip this one simply because of the Sailor Moon license. If they did, it's their loss. This is a great beat'em up. And for fans of the Genesis Sailor Moon beat'em up, this is actually a completely different game. If you haven't played either I urge you to give them both a try.
Edited by reelmojo on 18. August 2011 22:48

shion
Nice ones Mojo! You're right, SR didn't receive an official sequel, although some consider Wild West C.O.W-boys of Moo Mesa to be the spiritual sequel. Also, Mystic Warriors possesses the same gameplay as in SR, if you forgot/didn't know (I've done these all on Kaillera before BTW). Smile

Crystal of Kings? Whoa, that looks awesome! I have to see if it is available on MAME yet (although I'm sure it probably isn't). We might as well now mention Dolphin Blue & Demon Front. Merlin and I did do PSSM co-op, much to Life in 2-D's amusement. All I can say is real men play quality beat 'em ups, and I would agree with you about the quality of PSSM. As far as the Genesis ver., you now have intrigued me, and I am in the process of acquiring this game.

Oh, Merlin unknowingly brought up another goodie in the Kaillera chat tonight: Willow (ARC). I didn't even know it existed until a few hours ago. Smile It's a good platformer though. Since we're talking about Capcom games, I'm going to say Chiki Chiki Boys/Mega Twins and Strider 2. The Pang series is also fun when done co-op. Two excellent games for solo play are Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Westone/Sega) & Dragon Buster (Namco) the game I believe that actually inspired WBML. Grin
Edited by shion on 20. August 2011 04:40

reelmojo
The Crystal of Kings is fully playable in MAME, and since it was never ported and probably never will be that's definitely the way to check it out.

The other day I tried The Outfoxies for the first time. I was blown away! Why aren't there more games like this!? Anyone who hasn't played it definitely should. It's like a wild cross between Smash Bros. and Elevator Action Returns.

I also just discovered Gaia Crusaders. It's another great beat'em up. I didn't put too much time into it yet, but I'm sure I will.

Sailor Moon and Chiki Chiki Boys are actually both on my game to buy for Genesis list.

I'll definitely check out Wild West COWboys of Moo Mesa (wasn't that a cartoon?) and Mystic Warriors soon.

Jump to Forum: