Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: NeoGeoNinja
Thread ID: 3420
Thread Info
There are 52 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 10047 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Massive Disappointment...
NeoGeoNinja
ALMOST BORDERING...
on heart break if I were honest.

I recently acquired some new (cheap!) units from IKEA to help 'spread' my collection out a bit, which has all being going to plan, no problem - bit's shifting here... there... everywhere.

Upon moving all these various gaming collectables, I thought I'd just take a sneak, proud peak of some of the many consoles I've been amassing over the last 5+ years.

To my ABSOLUTE disappointment, I have found that a boxed 2nd hand JAP White Saturn and a NEW boxed JAP White Saturn have both suffered the on set of the infamous Yellowing :(

I'm absolutely and terribly gutted. I've heard about machines yellowing, and usually this is supposedly when machines are exposed, not only to light, but just in general. However, both these consoles have 'Yellowed'. The NEW one more uniformly and the 2nd Hand one, on one side, like sun burn.

It makes me want to fucking sell everything I own, as I can't cope mentally with these sorts of unexpected misfortunes. I REALLY thought keeping them tucked away (in my games room, not in a garage or damp loft... before we go there) safely boxed, in a dry place with no sunlight and VERY little artificial light was the RIGHT hing to do. Now I feel like God has just stabbed me in the fucking heart... and what for? For caring about the items I treasure most in my collection?

I super want to throw these two out of my top window and witness their destruction at the cold and merciless man-made texture of the 'tarmac'. I don't want to keep them anymore now, AND they're worthless! Seriously pissed.

To top it off, my 'outwardly' work-horse JAP Saturn (White) from day one is perfectly White. I have a boxed NEW DC and a boxed NEW Mk1 (FAT) PS2 in Ceramic White too. Am I now supposed to just open them up and use them, just for the sake of it, so that they don't turn yellow, in turn devaluing my investments!!??

Sorry, but I had to vent. I told my GF and she just gawped at me, all wide eyed with "well, I always said you should just have stuff stored away" pearls of fucking utmost wisdom.

My CHI levels have just gone out the fucking window. Those 2 yellow bastards may follow Annoyed

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

RiKo
sorry Ninja:( i hate yellowed consoles too. must be a nightmare- espcially since you were protecting those ones! im not sure the process by which that kind of plastic turns yellow but i thought it was sunlight too. maybe its do with not getting air or could it be warmth or even the polythene? im sure some guy told me once it was oxygen but since they were in boxes they should be getting less than the ones outside.

there must be away you can store them to avoid the yellowing. dont give up buddy. if it makes you feel any better my harddrive has just broken on my laptop and i dont know if i still have anything that was on it yet. stoopid consoles/computers!
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
priest
I really feel with you and can understand how this must hurt, Ninja. After all it sounds like you have done all that you can to protect your stuff from this yellow fate.

Comfort
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
Wonderboy
That's too bad dude.

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
Murikov
That's some serious shit, Ninja. Who could have predict such a tragic end for those two? Is there even a useful way to preserve white consoles and other white plastic collectibles from Yellowing?

Speaking about that unpleasant topic; does somebody know, how to keep AES games safe from sunfade or wear and tear (the cases, inserts, manual, etc.)? I know others who pack their AES carts in transparent plastic baggies, but I'm not sure if this helps to conserve the games efficiently and for a long time.
i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/SNK%20stuff/SNK_zps13025fff.gif

LIFE_IN_2D
Sorry about that Ninja, I know how things like this "get" to you. It's a shame really.

It is indeed sad that these consoles are now "worthless" to you , just because discoloration. I suppose I'll never understand.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

boogiepop
Sorry Ninja, but I honestly laughed throughout that entire post. God has stabbed you in the heart?... Investments? . . . What the hell are you talking about? You're taking a case of spilled milk and making it unnecessarily important. These things are pieces of plastic and wiring - nothing more. It's not like your dick suddenly stopped working.
Relax. Wink
Born to Die

merlin
Sorry to hear that Ninja. I can understand how disappointing that must be. I would never have expected consoles in new condition stored like that would end up with yellowing problems. Judging from ebay auctions I've seen it seems that white Saturns are perhaps more prone to this problem than other consoles so I wouldn't worry yourself too much about your other white systems. I'd be very surprised if this is much of an issue with ceramic white PS2s.

Don't know if this would help in your case Ninja but I did read that it's possible to sometimes reverse yellowing on gaming systems using hydrogen peroxide.

http://retr0brigh...s.com/home
Edited by merlin on 22. July 2011 02:25
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

NEO-GEO man
I skipped this step when i bought a white Japan Saturn, i bought a yellow tinted one straight up!!

1983parrothead
*While reading NeoGeoNinja's post, 1983parrothead listens to this music after watching a playthrough of its origin for the first time*

RiKo wrote:
sorry Ninja:( i hate yellowed consoles too. must be a nightmare- espcially since you were protecting those ones! im not sure the process by which that kind of plastic turns yellow but i thought it was sunlight too. maybe its do with not getting air or could it be warmth or even the polythene? im sure some guy told me once it was oxygen but since they were in boxes they should be getting less than the ones outside.

there must be away you can store them to avoid the yellowing. dont give up buddy. if it makes you feel any better my harddrive has just broken on my laptop and i dont know if i still have anything that was on it yet. stoopid consoles/computers!

Ditto, but I only have a yellowed SNES. Most of my other home consoles are okay. But like Riko, my Toshiba laptop's hard drive got messed up on April 27th this year, the day a severe thunderstorm heavily damaged some cities near my home and killed 9 people, while it cut the power and cable out. But thankfully, my step-sister's boyfriend (and soon to be husband) decided to give me his Dell laptop that he had for about a year without me requesting it, because he finds the iPad more interesting in his opinion.

Hope my Nintendo collectibles won't suffer anything, either.
Edited by 1983parrothead on 22. July 2011 08:27

Supergrafx
boogiepop wrote:
Sorry Ninja, but I honestly laughed throughout that entire post. God has stabbed you in the heart?... Investments? . . . What the hell are you talking about? You're taking a case of spilled milk and making it unnecessarily important. These things are pieces of plastic and wiring - nothing more. It's not like your dick suddenly stopped working.
Relax. Wink

You're obviously not a collector of video games otherwise you would have some sort of understanding of our resident Ninja's anguish.Having your collection of consoles and games in pristine condition is way more important than having a dick that works(you can always get by with a strap on,but the chances of finding an unyellowed SNES,Saturn or PC Engine are about as good as finding a piece of rocking horse shit).

Interesting that you frown on my sense of humor yet find somebody's misfortune funny.

Mai

cthulhu
Wow, that's quite an impressive way to over react. No, it's not great if a console is discolored, but it's not the end of the world, now is it? There are ways to restore discolored plastics from consoles...just use your Google Fu. The biggest problem with consoles is the fact that they use cheap plastics to make them. One of my Candy Cabs has yellow speaker boxes, the rest is still basically the original color (some discoloring due to nicotine and burn marks from cigarettes)...most arcades are quite dark, so it's due to other factors...maybe the plastic reacts to oxigen?
My arcade crap

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

LIFE_IN_2D
Supergrafx wrote:
Having your collection of consoles and games in pristine condition is way more important than having a dick that works(you can always get by with a strap on,but the chances of finding an unyellowed SNES,Saturn or PC Engine are about as good as finding a piece of rocking horse shit).
Mai

Easy for you to say that you'd rather have pristine consoles than a working cock, your dick has been out of service for what... 5 centuries?

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

candycab
Sunlight etc has little to do with plastic yellowing, it can speed the process up but it's inevitable as this is a bye product of the type and quality of the plastic used. If you want the cool white look pay the money and have your console professionally painted, it will come out looking better in the end and last forever. Doesn't help much now but something to think about down the road. As for aes/mvs storage pink anti static bags are Always a good idea since they filter uv and mylar sleeves are probably your best bet for paper items since they will be less prone to degradation from the acid in the paper.

Look to comic book collectors and see what works best and go from there Smile
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Supergrafx
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:
Supergrafx wrote:
Having your collection of consoles and games in pristine condition is way more important than having a dick that works(you can always get by with a strap on,but the chances of finding an unyellowed SNES,Saturn or PC Engine are about as good as finding a piece of rocking horse shit).
Mai

Easy for you to say that you'd rather have pristine consoles than a working cock, your dick has been out of service for what... 5 centuries?

Actually it's more like 6 centuries muchacho but i'm sure if i bent you over i could conger a performance or 3 out of it just for you....i mean any holes a goal right?

LIFE_IN_2D
Supergrafx wrote:
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:
Supergrafx wrote:
Mai

Actually it's more like 6 centuries muchacho but i'm sure if i bent you over i could conger a performance or 3 out of it just for you....i mean any holes a goal right?

Lol I suppose I'd have to be wearing one of these as well?

www.flagshipfancydress.co.uk/ekmps/shops/flagshipenterp/images/koala-bear-mascot-costume-2101-p.gif

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

boogiepop
Supergrafx wrote:
boogiepop wrote:
Relax. Wink

You're obviously not a collector of video games otherwise you would have some sort of understanding of our resident Ninja's anguish.Having your collection of consoles and games in pristine condition is way more important than having a dick that works(you can always get by with a strap on,but the chances of finding an unyellowed SNES,Saturn or PC Engine are about as good as finding a piece of rocking horse shit).

Interesting that you frown on my sense of humor yet find somebody's misfortune funny.

Mai

Someone wants another spanking.
Born to Die

neogeoeno
boogiepop wrote:
Relax. Wink
in my whole live i didnt bother for peace of plastic (games- system ) only when i lost money i turn absoulutely on fireReal Sad

Bullet
Yeah , its strange that they yellowed in the box, but my SNES and NES are still great and are out in the open, same with my other systems, like Dreamcast, PS1 etc.

I also don't really have any systems locked away, if I own it , its out and hooked up and ready to play or at the very least on display, with its cables aside to hook up when I want to play.

Its really too bad that the greatness that is the Saturn, world tarnish in that way.
Edited by Bullet on 24. July 2011 17:47
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

STE C
That is a sickener indeed Ninja, having had the pleasure of viewing your games room ( a room with less natural light than a professional photo studio) I am shocked and surprised to hear about your Saturns. So it looks like the chemicals in the coloring will yellow either way without exposure to light. I have a white PC Engine in storage to protect it from the same thing guess I better take a look at it.

Jump to Forum: