Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: priest
Thread ID: 3385
Thread Info
There are 49 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 12458 times.  There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Medals and ranks withdrawn from members
reelmojo
The eccentric cat wrote:
I'm thinking maybe photo's should be mandatory now? It would clear any of the issues up, and we won't have to exclude emulators, or certain members.
The problem with requiring photos is they're barely more difficult to fake than just typing a fake score. As an example, I took my real score in Ganryu and altered it in MS Paint. It took me roughly 45 seconds, though to fake a more plausible score might take a minute or two longer.

My point is that since pics are so easy to fake we're right back to using the honor system anyway.
reelmojo attached the following image:
0002withabunchoffake4s.png

merlin
I think the problem with carrying on as we are using the 'honour system' is that it's highly likely there will be more fake scores submitted in the future. It's very easy to cheat using emulators. The problem with saying that if someone cheats they will be exposed is that it can be very hard to prove they have been cheating. In the case of the two people who submitted fake scores they were only caught when they started posting ridiculous scores including smashing the Metal Slug world record by a large margin!

If there are scores present which people have doubts about then it undermines the whole thing and other members may be reluctant to take part. Murikov is correct that we can't make the system 100% foolproof but I think we should make the rules stricter so cheating is less likely to happen. As it stands now someone could join the forum today and post a large score with an attached emulator screenshot in one of the challenges and under the rules we would surely have to accept it.

By the way in case anyone hasn't seen it here are the rules that neo-geo.com use:

You must post a picture of your high score.

Most importantly, game difficulty MUST be set at MVS level 4 - No exceptions. If on an AES it must be set to MVS level.

When entering your name, please choose something that will prove that its you. Example: TonK TNK

Emulators are not permitted, unless you provide a complete video of the achievement or are using Wolfmame and have the inp file as backup. Emulators include Modded Xbox Systems and other ROM playing devices.

Edited by merlin on 01. July 2011 01:34

The eccentric cat
That could work very well, actually! Its not that difficult to record a video from an emulator. Initials are a must as well.
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

Loris Biaggi
merlin wrote:In the case of the two people who submitted fake scores they were only caught when they started posting ridiculous scores including smashing the Metal Slug world record by a large margin!

Maybe we can ask for a video only for... ridiculous scores Wink

I'm for the honor system, but finding a way to avoid ridiculous scores (not easy).
Perhaps we can reset the HSC once in a while, keeping only scores from active members...
------------- Neo Mini Box -----------
i65.tinypic.com/11udicm.gif

NEO-GEO man
I only just found this thread. At the same time as being dissapointed that people cheated, i think they must feel like total fucken idiots now cause they are KNOWN cheats.

There is some games i get some great big scores on, and i do all my scores on the AES or the CD machine these days, i dont really even use the MVS anymore. There is some people that post great big scores that i cant seem to touch, and in these cases i can often look at my own skill and what i can achieve, and see how they do get to the scores they achieve.

If anyone has been looking on Neogeo.com lately at their high score thread, youll see a few ive posted, but then youll also see some CRAZY scores that are getting posted by a guy over there that has some extreme skill. I dont know how he is doing these scores, but by all accounts, they are not even close to some of the records ive seen posted on one site, so i wouldnt like to say he didnt legitamately get these scores.

Besides that, i still hold a couple over him, so if he was cheating, he wouldve got me no worries, but i dont think he is...

I will also say i love this forum and i love the high score section, but at the same time, i would never risk being exposed as a cheat, cause it would be a VERY shameful thing, and id be too embarassed to show myself anywhere after that. And what is there to gain? Looking like a dick if you get caught, but if you are the top, no one really cares too much, so why bother?

Everyone wants to be the best, but youve got to be the best on your own merrits, not on the merrits of the cheats you can enter!!

Bullet
The cheating is why I never bothered to enter the HSC when it first started. I remember being told in the chat one sunday, that people were using save states and that the scores were bogus, so I never wanted to compete if it was broken from the word go.

I mean what's the point of taking screen shots of my cab, when someone on mame is cheating?
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

NEO-GEO man
Bullet, youre using GENUINE HARDWARE, which in my eyes brings you up to the level of a true NEO-GEO fan.

Supergrafx
I would think that these two should have the ban hammer come down on them very hard,as they say "honesty talks and bullshit walks".At the very least a "Hall of Shame"thread should be started with them as dishonorary opening members.
Edited by Supergrafx on 01. July 2011 09:08

GeeseTheDuck
I really don't get the mentality of people who cheats on the HSC.
It's not like this is money it's about or anything,
just medals showing things you accomplished,
only, they didn't.
img820.imageshack.us/img820/5397/snksig.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/VoidAvesta
The eccentric cat
Virtual Boy wrote:
Maybe we can ask for a video only for... ridiculous scores Wink

We'd still have no validity for that score, unfortunately.:(

Honestly, I think the emulation video is the best choice right now. If they have an emulator they can use, there's almost no point in NOT using Fraps to record your playthrough.

NEO-GEO man
I have no real way to record video of the projector screen, but im using genuine original hardware, and i dont know of a way to cheat with that.

priest
Lots of voices, thats good to see.

Neo-Geo Man: Well thereīs the possibility to cheat even with "genuine original hardware", Itīs called UNI BIOS. This is available both for MVS and the AES.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
NEO-GEO man
No mate, by "Genuine original hardware" i mean GENUINE ORIGINAL HARDWARE. That means there is no uniBIOS in there, its a genuine original BIOS.

I know all about it though, ive installed a few for other people. My machine is un-molested.
Edited by NEO-GEO man on 02. July 2011 09:53

priest
Neo-Geo man: Sorry, didnīt mean to sound like I was lecturing youSmile

Now I know what you meant...
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
NEO-GEO man
Oh no Priest i didnt think you were doing that, i thought you had misunderstood my meaning of genuine original hardware!!

I havent even so much as corrected the left/right reversing of the headphone jack on this 3-6 console!! Wink

This machine is pretty much like new, so itll be staying as it is. I do plan on getting a 2nd AES, but ill be looking to get the first model this time round.

RiKo
Merlin wrote :- In the case of the two people who submitted fake scores they were only caught when they started posting ridiculous scores including smashing the Metal Slug world record by a large margin!

hahaha thats hilarious LOL i cant believe i missed all of this. maybe they are just really good at Metal Slug lol

i dont mind posting photos i suppose but i worry it will stop people entering - all this extra effort of making videos esp since not everyone here has the hardware. I suppose it will make us all happier than people are less-likely to be cheating. pretty sad that people cheat though. I imagine it was just to get some kind of respect?
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
I thought it was pretty funny too RiKo. Grin Gemant mentioned that the world record is 3,115,090 and the HSC scores were both over 4 million. Oha was almost at 5 million! I only play the Slug games casually so wasn't aware at the time what scores are possible.

I don't think anyone taking part in HSCs should be forced to make a video. That would put a lot of people off taking part. It's just one possible way of showing evidence.

One of the people involved is of course still active at the site. Obviously it's not the right thing to do to post fake scores but I think it's best to forget about what happened. No-one is perfect, we all make mistakes. I wouldn't want that person to feel in any way uncomfortable visiting the forum because of this thread. It's right of course that we're having this debate about the rules though.

NEO-GEO man
Im f***en lucky to make 1 million...

The eccentric cat
merlin wrote:
I don't think anyone taking part in HSCs should be forced to make a video. That would put a lot of people off taking part. It's just one possible way of showing evidence.

I don't think it would be too much effort. Fraps is incredibly simple to use, and as I've said, if they're using an emulator, there's really no reason not to record it. Its a reasonable thing to ask, yes? :o

LIFE_IN_2D
The eccentric cat wrote:
merlin wrote:

I don't think it would be too much effort. Fraps is incredibly simple to use, and as I've said, if they're using an emulator, there's really no reason not to record it. Its a reasonable thing to ask, yes? Shock

WOW. You're such a demanding kitteh... EVIL, PURE EVIL.

3.bp.blogspot.com/-baCTzrvc3Ow/TcgJpZXwGKI/AAAAAAAAAPc/rrzxTQa_OpE/s1600/evil-1.jpg

Pfft
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 06. July 2011 02:10
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Jump to Forum: