Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: marktheshark
Thread ID: 3377
Thread Info
There are 16 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 8875 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The secrets of the Neo Geo have finally been unlocked!
marktheshark
http://www.qfpost...43f81bfb79

I found this on another forum. It's a programmer's guide for the Neo Geo. It was never released to the public until now. Anyone who's planning on doing homebrew for the system should probably check it out - all 220 pages of it if possible.

RiKo
That's very cool Mark. i will be interested to read that properly, although i just had a quick skim.. The Neo Geo reminds me a lot of the SNES. it uses colour palettes for each character tile that makes up the screen so you are more restricted with colours than you think (only 16 colours per colour palette). i think it uses them for each sprite too. which explains why some games dont look like they use that many colours on screen.

i like this section :

The Neo-Geo and MVS units operate in a wide variety of home and arcade locations, The players have a wide age range, especially for the Neo Geo home unit, which is used by families, When designing the game project, the following factors must be considered during the design.

A recent game trend is the introduction of ultra-violent games whichare designed to use shock value to gain audience. This trend hascaused regrettable actions to occur in terms of public acceptance of games and exposing a younger age range to violence beyond their years. SNK Corp, requests that the game designers use good judgement in their game design, Though there is no set guidelines, please refer to the following below as a gauge in the design stage.

1, Avoid scenes of spurting blood or ultra violence for the game
actions, even in secret moves,
2. Symbols of adult consumption such as liquor bottles and cigarettes
or large wads of money require special consideration.
3. Avoid religious symbols of any form.
4. Copyrighted symbols and trademarks or brand names are not
recommended, unless there is a brand tie-in for the game basis.
Similarly, avoid using famous people's names or likenesses due to possible invasion of privacy.
5, Profanity and anti-social language are to be avoided.
6. Avoid using sound effects or music that is borrowed without
permission of the authors/composers.

As a general rule, the most important thing to remember is to give a good play value without resorting to shock tactics. Comedy in good taste is a very good method to add gaming value to any game. If the whole family can laugh together at a game with a sense of humor, it provided a more enjoyable experience without being offensive.

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
cthulhu
I really love those guide lines...the were clearly written for designers based in the US, as most (if not all) of those guide lines were ignored in Japanese games.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

LIFE_IN_2D
RiKo wrote:

www.neogeo.ch/start/gallery/animgifs/metalslug/fio/NeoGeo_MetalSlug3_ZombieChickBloodSpew.gif

They failed.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

merlin
That's exciting news. The info in this manual will be invaluable to anyone wanting to develop a homebrew Neo Geo game. Would be really good to have some more homebrews for the system. Thanks for the link Mark. Joe

NeoGeoNinja
merlin wrote:
That's exciting news. The info in this manual will be invaluable to anyone wanting to develop a homebrew Neo Geo game. Would be really good to have some more homebrews for the system. Thanks for the link Mark. Joe

IT IS. IT IS EXCITING NEWS...
however, I can't ignore the fact that I feel a tad concerned about how these individuals go about PHYSICALLY producing these games, AES or otherwise.

Now, I don't want to come off as being massively hypocritical, as I HAVE said in the past, I would LOVE to own AES conversions of the MVS only released NG titles. Albeit, that's only around 5-6 titles I actually want (Strikers, PIsle 2, Breakers Revenge, Ganryu, Shock Troopers & Neo Drift Out). However, when it comes to new devs undertaking the games dev process, where are they going to 'put' their games? Surely they're NOT just going to buy 1000 - 2000 AES carts and convert them ALL for EACH release??!

Surely it's reached the point where a manufacturing process should finally be looked at? Or are there legal implications involved? For example, this 'Last Star' title. Yes, if it does prove to be a Blazing Star follow up, it could be the biggest release the NG has seen in years (sorry NGDEV). As such, how will they meet the 'manufacturing' demand, because boy... will IT exist!!!

Any ideas?...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

merlin
I do share your concern Ninja about how any future releases are produced whether they are completely new games or protos. Like you say it would be far better if completely new cart shells and pcbs could be manufactured for future AES releases rather than sacrificing existing games. I don't think it's a legal problem just that the cost will be higher doing it that way rather than saccing exisiting games. If there was enough demand they could of course manufacture in larger quantities and keep the price down.

I think NG DEV Team actually had new pcbs made for Last Hope AES but used original AES cart shells and cases. For the release of Bang Bang Busters NCI sacced 200 officially released Neo Geo AES games. If they sell 200 AES carts for each of their subsequent releases that adds up to a lot of carts being sacrificed.

As I've said before I think where possible (i.e. not Fast Striker) Neo Geo CD is the ideal format for future releases since there's no need to sacrifice any existing games and the price will be a lot more affordable.
Edited by merlin on 25. June 2011 16:17

boogiepop
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:
RiKo wrote:

www.neogeo.ch/start/gallery/animgifs/metalslug/fio/NeoGeo_MetalSlug3_ZombieChickBloodSpew.gif

They failed.

LOL
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

mastamuzz
hello 1st post here!

for new carts if you are into developing a new game you can contact yaton for custom pcb's and cases no need to sacrifice an existing cart! they do their special carts a.k.a."boots" on their own pcb and case!

also the release of the manual was made possible thank's to nightmare tony and tonk from the Neo-Geo.com forums!
Edited by mastamuzz on 27. June 2011 11:55

merlin
Hi mastamuzz. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the info I wasn't aware of that. Good to hear there is an alternative available to sacrificing officially released games. Is that just for MVS or also home carts?

mastamuzz
unfortunately just for MVS no AES carts but I guess for the right amount of carts they could do it too, I can ask if needed!

NEO-GEO man
Welcome Mastamuzz Wink

Murikov
I suppose producing "new" AES games will never be possible without destroying existing carts, there's no other way in my honest opinion. I hope this doesn't go on so far, resulting that in future we have to pay hundreds of $ for a KoF '95 or Fatal Fury 3 AES cartridge. Hmm

mastamuzz wrote:
hello 1st post here!

for new carts if you are into developing a new game you can contact yaton for custom pcb's and cases no need to sacrifice an existing cart! they do their special carts a.k.a."boots" on their own pcb and case!

also the release of the manual was made possible thank's to nightmare tony and tonk from the Neo-Geo.com forums!

Yo Mastamuzz, welcome to the forums. Thumbs Up
It's good to know that at least MVS carts could be spared.

For those who are actually looking for Yaton's site, here it is.
http://www.arcade...om/mvs.htm
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

NEO-GEO man
If they can make boards for MVS carts, there is nothing stopping them making boards for AES carts, they are essntially the same thing, just slightly different dimensions in some respects.

NeoGeoNinja
NEO-GEO man wrote:
If they can make boards for MVS carts, there is nothing stopping them making boards for AES carts, they are essntially the same thing, just slightly different dimensions in some respects.

Agreed...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

RiKo
i'm not expecting a huge influx of new AES games anyway. I think most people will mess about writing for emulators and then if anything is particularly outstanding maybe it will get ported accross.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Jump to Forum: