Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: 1983parrothead
Thread ID: 3373
Thread Info
There are 12 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7866 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Desperation / Super / Extreme moves
1983parrothead
There are a ton of fighting games with extremely powerful moves that are often used to finish off opponents commonly known either as "desperation moves" and especially "super attacks", so what are some of the best and worst ones in your opinions?

Here are some good videos I found on this video channel by naozero that show several fighting games' desperation moves IN REAL-TIME FRAME RATES (meaning as perfect as watching them on a real television screen):

Ragnagard

World Heroes Perfect

Ninja Master's: Haou Ninpou Chou (includes regular special and grapple moves)

Power Instinct Matrimelee (includes regular special and grapple moves)

Battle K-Road (includes regular special and grapple moves)

Daraku Tenshi - The Fallen Angels

Dan-Ku-Ga (Kaiser Knuckle / Global Champion)

Art of Fighting 2

Savage Reign

Fighters Megamix PART 1 PART 2 (includes regular special and grapple moves)

Waku Waku 7

Star Gladiator 2 / Plasma Sword

Street Fighter Alpha 3

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike

Marvel VS. CAPCOM

Marvel VS. CAPCOM 2 - Marvel / CAPCOM

Sengoku BASARA X

Soul Calibur 1 (Sega Dreamcast)

Street Fighter EX1 PLUS

Street Fighter EX2 PLUS

Tech Romancer (Video 1, Video 2)

Final Fight Revenge (Sega Saturn)

SVC Chaos: SNK VS. Capcom

Fatal Fury 3

Real Bout Fatal Fury Special

Samurai Shodown II

Samurai Shodown IV: Amakusa’s Revenge

Samurai Shodown V Special

The Last Blade 2

I'll show more desperation move videos later, if this becomes a hot topic.
Edited by 1983parrothead on 22. June 2011 03:17

boogiepop
Maybe not the worst but I'm not very fond of the Vampire Savior one where the Frankstein's Monster squeezes the opponent with his butt cheeks.

One I like is Vanessa's one in 02 where she punches the opponent a couple dozen times.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

NEO-GEO man
Its often quite hard to land one of these moves against a good human player, and with me and my friends playing, certainly one friend in particular who has been playing these games against me since about 1992, these moves can make or break the match for us at times, and its something we love!!

Ill never forget the first time we delved deep into Real Bout Fatal Fury Special, i was Terry, and was near dead, when i let off what sounded like "over shoot geyser" and my friend expected just one... then there were 3... and he was dead Wink

reelmojo
I've always loved Roche's jumping neck breaker in Daraku Tenshi. He dashes then jumps at such an odd angle that it's hard to avoid, plus it has huge priority. It also helps that super moves are extremely important in Daraku Tenshi. But setting aside gameplay for a second, that neck cracking sound effect is one of the most satisfying ways to end a match ever.

Murikov
Wasn't Art of Fighting 1 the first Fighter that introduced Desperation moves? Pretty impressive how that feature implemented itself in most following fighting games.

I usually prefer to use characters which are capable of performing "Ranbu" DM's (like the famous Kyokugen typical one). They usually look fantastic and serve their purpose. Some of my fave Supers:

Ryo's / Robert's Ryouko Ranbu
Kim Kaphwan's Hou'ou Kyaku
K's Chain Drive
Lee Rekka's Ougi Enryu Tenshin
Ken's Shippuu-Jinrai-Kyaku

reelmojo wrote:
I've always loved Roche's jumping neck breaker in Daraku Tenshi. He dashes then jumps at such an odd angle that it's hard to avoid, plus it has huge priority. It also helps that super moves are extremely important in Daraku Tenshi. But setting aside gameplay for a second, that neck cracking sound effect is one of the most satisfying ways to end a match ever.

Although he's a good character, I never could identify myself with that emo-like brat. Wink Onigawara for me.
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

NeoGeoNinja
LIKE MURIKOV...
I also prefer the OTT 'Ranbu' style supers too.

I think my overall fave will always be Kim Kaphwans in RB1. I loved how he performs, what I would term the most excessive Phoenix Flattener ever; taking them up into the air followed up with a final 'Plasma' blast, sealing the already incredible 'deal'. He then lands, folds his arms and watches, waiting for them to hit the ground, get to their feet and rejoin the fight... unless of course, they're KO'd. At that point the kids (JH & DH) can jump on screen too and have a good old laugh at the fallen opponents (unconcious) expense and dignity.

Of course, the RBS version is the best* but it was RB1 I first saw the move in prior to it's minor, yet excellent improvement(s).

(*now includes ACTUAL Phoenix)

ONE OF THE WORST...
Supers I can reel off, off the top of my head?

I always thought Seth's 'Kicking Super' was VERY lame in KOF 2000 onward:
Lie on the ground and so the same kick over and over and over... and over

Featured twice in this video... TWICE! Witness:

YouTube Video

Yeah, there's probably worse but, it just popped in there at that exact moment. Shit Super Combo in the subconcious, as it were Grin

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 22. June 2011 17:14
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

LIFE_IN_2D
^ Seth is a shit character as a whole.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

1983parrothead
Here are more videos full of desperation moves that aren't found in naozero's channel:

Garou: Mark of the Wolves + Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition

Fatal Fury 2 (incomplete, forgot W. Krauser's Kaiser Wave) + Real Bout Fatal Fury + Real Bout Fatal Fury Special: Dominated Mind

Fatal Fury Special + Real Bout Fatal Fury 2: The Newcomers

Art of Fighting 1 ( MVS vs. Super NES versions )

Art of Fighting 3

KOF Kyo (see later volumes for other KOF titles)

KOF XII

KOF XIII

Vanguard Princess ( older version / latest version )

Arcana Heart 3 PART 1 PART 2

Golden Axe: The Duel

Aggressors of Dark Kombat ( GanGan Attacks & Different Grab Attacks )

Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer

Double Dragon (Neo-Geo) + Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer (again) + Fighter's History Dynamite + Breakers + Aggressors of Dark Kombat (again) ( all are Neo-Geo CD versions )

Suiko Enbu: Fuunsaiki

EA & Aorn's Rabbit ( arcade version / Sega Saturn version )

Breakers Revenge ( any differences between this and the original version? )

Gouketsuji Gaiden: Saikyou Densetsu / Gogetsuji Legends (Power Instinct Gaiden)

TMNT: Tournament Fighters ( NES ) ( I think it has some, but they are probably just special moves )

TMNT: Tournament Fighters ( MD/GEN version )

TMNT: Tournament Fighters ( Super NES version ) ( not all characters, random music, and no sound effects:( )

Dragoon Might

Fighters Destiny

Virtual Hiryu no Ken

Lightning Legend: Daigo no Daibouken (Konami's first 3D fighting game)

Kensei: Sacred Fist ( nearly 30 minutes long, but it probably doesn't have DMs )

Bloody Roar 3

Battle Arena Toshiden 1 ( w/ tutorial )

Battle Arena Toshiden 2

Battle Arena Toshiden 3 ( Desperation + Secret Moves & Soul Bombs )

Toshiden 4

Critical Blow

Heaven's Gate ( Also developed by Critical Blow's developer Racdym/Racjin, but published by Atlus instead of Banpresto. But it only shows the basic ones.:( )

There are tons more left to show.

Murikov wrote:
Wasn't Art of Fighting 1 the first Fighter that introduced Desperation moves? Pretty impressive how that feature implemented itself in most following fighting games.

Either that or Hudson Soft's 1987 PC Engine / TG-16 title, The Kung-Fu (a.k.a. China Warrior and perhaps The Drunken Master). Even though it's a beat 'em up, that is at first glance. Later at the end of each stage, it becomes a VS. fight. I've seen the Bruce Lee tribute protagonist Wang perform some powerful moves, but I'm not sure if they are special moves or desperation moves, but I think they can do massive damage; however, there are no energy bars nor charging. The Kung Fu does predate Art of Fighting in having large sprites, visible wounds (only on the player's character Wang) and some similar KO and victory animations by five years.

merlin
I always thought the desperation moves in Kizuna Encounter looked particularly impressive especially the ones for Kim, Rosa and Hayate.

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Neo%20Geo/kimsueil-super.gif

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Neo%20Geo/rosa-super.gif

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Neo%20Geo/hayate-s-super.gif

One super move I always found very amusing is the one for the hidden character in Martial Masters: Saojin. She summons other characters to beat up the opponent and then they all pose for a photo afterwards! Can't find a video of it unfortunately.

RiKo
I really like some of the finish moves in Guilty Gear X or X2. some are quite crazy

YouTube Video

I-No's death by guitar make me smile (6:17 in the vid above) , esp when she plays a little guitar solo after as well (not in that vid), which adds the icing on the cake. Reminds me of Bill + Ted for some reason
Edited by RiKo on 24. June 2011 21:59
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
NeoStrayCat
Don't forget Fight Fever now, lol...
card.exophase.com/1/712966.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
1983parrothead
The Stray wrote:
Don't forget Fight Fever now, lol...

Here are two different videos of it. Too bad there aren't any videos of The Eye of Typhoon's:

All moves with comparison

Danger Moves-only, without KOs

And here are more desperation move videos of:

Groove on Fight: Power Instinct 3

Battle Tycoon - Flash Hiders SFX

Advanced Variable Geo (V.G.) 2

Asuka 120% Final BURNING Fest.

Asuka 120% LimitOver BURNING Fest. ( * sigh * I wish I could find the FM Towns version of the very first Asuka 120%. It's too difficult to find either an official copy or the read-only memory online. )

Tatsunoko Fight

Street Fighter: The Movie Arcade

Warzard / Red Earth

Rage of the Dragons

Double Dragon (MVS version) ( more complete than the one already shown in this thread )

Far East of Eden: Kabuki Klash

Toukidenshou Angel Eyes (PlayStation version)

Spectral VS. Generation (PlayStation 2 version)

Kinnikuman Clash! All Star Superman Match ( a fanmade remake of the NES game Tag Team Match M.U.S.C.L.E.. )

Sugoi Hebereke (a pre-Super Smash Bros. brawling game)

Astra Super Stars (Sega Saturn version)

Now for a series of death moves (or Fatalities(TM) as most people call them, but some have different official names other than Fatalities(TM). I'm not really a fan of these kinds of fighting games, but I like their fighting more than the blood and gore:

Time Killers (MK1's Fatal Fury 1 competitor. The point is, like Fatal Fury 1 was in development at the same time as SFII, Time Killers was in development at the same time as MK1, though FF1 and TK were released a few months after SFII and MK1.)

BloodStorm (spiritual successor of Time Killers.)

TimeSlaughter

WeaponLord (one of the few MK competitors that seems to not have as much hatred as nearly every other MK competitor.)

Eternal Champions ( Sudden Deaths / Overkills )

Pray for Death

Xenophage

Kasumi Ninja

Primal Rage ( Arcade version / PlayStation version )

Ultra Vortek

Way of the Warrior

ClayFighter 63 1/3

Gladiator - Sword of Vengeance

War Gods (Nintendo 64 version) ( no videos showing the higher-quality arcade version:( )

Mace: The Dark Age (Nintendo 64 version) ( Again, no arcade version footage available, but this is better than this video of the same version of the same game. )

Bio F.R.E.A.K.S. (Nintendo 64 version) ( See War Gods and Mace: The Dark Age; however, it's the PlayStation version. )

One Must Fall: 2097 ( Predates Killer Instinct in featuring 3D-rendered sprites. The death moves in this game are probably called "Destruction Moves". It's also the first fighting game with built-in features for online multiplayer. )

Killer Instinct 1 ( Normal / Stage-based )

Killer Instinct 2 ( Normal / Stage-based )

Samurai Spirits Zero Special

Blood Warrior (sequel to the 1992 Shogun Warriors arcade)

Tattoo Assassins ( BigBangBlitz / Gamescrap ( rumor to be in MK series ) / szydlak (see below) )

* Video 1
* Video 2
* Video 3 ( predates MK3 in having these )

Survival Arts (It may not be as original as MK1, but this other video probably proves that it was the first to feature what many refer to as "Brutalities", or generically "combo death moves". Survival Arts was also mentioned in this Japanese website about cult classic fighting games.)

And here is a little bonus: a Top Ten Death Moves list by the British video game show Gamemaster.

I couldn't find any videos of The Kung-Fu Master: Jackie Chan, nor its revision Jackie Chan in Fist of Fire: Jackie Chan Densetsu. For the 32X game Cyber Brawl / Cosmic Carnage, there is one video, but only one character from the English version is shown in it, so I decided not to post it. For the Sega Saturn game Battle Monsters ( developed by Survival Arts developer Scarab without credit, and published in Japan by Naxat Soft and outside Japan by Acclaim Entertainment ), I don't know if it has death moves.
Edited by 1983parrothead on 28. June 2011 00:12

Jump to Forum: