Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: RiKo
Thread ID: 3371
Thread Info
There are 25 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 12987 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The Worst-Looking Video-Game Consoles Ever!!
RiKo
Not sure if anyone has done this topic before. But if we have lets do it again. What in your opinion are the worst looking consoles? for some reason Cthulhu's mention of the N64 gave me the idea. haha well its not that bad i know but my friend's standard N64 - which is black with the grey game cartridges just looks so....cheap now.

I have mainly focused on consoles that i have owned or have used in the past, because photos often lie.....

1. Amstrad GX4000 - the cheapest looking piece of shit console you will ever see. reminds me of a prototype for the N64

gadgets.boingboing.net/gx4000-pic.jpg

2. Amiga CD32 - looks *much* worse in real life than in any photos - horrible cheap plastic and little or no styling. You have to wonder what Commodore were thinking. It's grey!

i124.photobucket.com/albums/p8/knyte6426/cd32.jpg

3. The NEC SuperGrafx - well they finally made it look like an engine but stupidly called it the SuperGrafx. Again in real life this console looks terrible. It looks like cheap grey moulded plastic. The original white PC Engine looked elegant this looks like a monstrosity in comparision.

fastcache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2008/09/medium_supergrafx.jpg

4. Original PS2 - this looked really stylish in the initial photos especially standing up-right in it's blue stand but in real life it looks awful. like a fan heater. . Get a bit of dust on it - esp in those horizontal slats, kick it under your desk and you'll be looking for the 'max-heat' setting in winter. (i sold mine and got a PS2 slim - you'll mistake that for a book!)

www.allconsolerepairs.co.uk/ps2-repair.jpg

in this picture it looks ok but take away the blue CD and close the drive (theres a reason it's open!) and it looks like a fan heater.
Edited by RiKo on 18. June 2011 16:35
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Bullet
The amiga looks like an old answering machine lol
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

RiKo
Bullet wrote :- The amiga looks like an old answering machine lol

haha yes it does! its actually a bit of a rip-off of Sega's Megadrive. Commodore's cunning plan was to put '32 bit' on the part where Sega's machine says '16-bit' so it made it seem better. It even has a headphones socket and volume control just like the megadrive...

-SD-
Yeah, the GX-4000 is probably the worst commercially released console ever. The CDi, CD32 and 3DO were also terrible.

As for handhelds, the Game.com and Supervision take the crown for being the most shite.
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO‚ÄĘGEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

NeoGeoNinja
I LIKE THIS THREAD RIKO...
I used to have a GX4000, only with the pack-in 'Burning Rubber'. I never really thought anything of the console at the time and quite enjoyed the the game... just the one game mind!

Whilst I perhaps didn't find the console's design quite as offensive as you I DID find the fact that they pegged the console itself as some sort of spacecraft on the box itself! And it shows. It does actually look like some sort of Klingon ship reject! Grin

ANYWAY...
a console I have NEVER liked the design of is the US/NTSC SNES. It's just plain horrible imo. However, I have always been led to believe that aside it's aesthetic shortcomings, it's actually the BEST of the SNES, as with a tiny modification, it will play BOTH US and JAP games! Nice.

ERM...
never liked the Mega CD II add-on either. The original Mega CD was this kick ass 'stackable' CD unit, which looked super cool imo (even cooler with a 32-X stacked on top again!) but the side mounted, plastic lid'ed Mega CD II looked lame by comparison.

consollection.de/content/2.consoles/0860.Mega-CD-1/megacd1_1.jpg

4.bp.blogspot.com/_fbH2gkHqSTE/TCek1KL-enI/AAAAAAAAA1I/bzohFTNdqUI/s1600/93_Sega_Mega-CD_MK2.jpg

OH YEAH...
always though that, whilst the 'MultiMega' was cool in it's approach to being compact, it just looked like a cheap shit Walkman...

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/d/dd/20100707003713!Sega_Multi_Mega.jpg

IT'S ALL DOWN...
to personal preferences, of course Wink

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

STE C
Can anyone recall the Commodore C64GS, it may have only been released in Europe but it was a complete waste of time being released in 1991 when the C64 was already 8 years old and the C64 computer already had a cartridge port if you wanted to play the few carts that came out for it.

http://en.wikiped...mes_System

what a load of complete bollocks what the f*ck were Commodore trying to achive.

RiKo
Ninja wrote: - I LIKE THIS THREAD RIKO...
I used to have a GX4000, only with the pack-in 'Burning Rubber'. I never really thought anything of the console at the time and quite enjoyed the the game... just the one game mind!

Thanks Ninja - so did you only ever own one game for the GX4000? that reminds me of my brother and his Megadrive. At the same time i owned a SNES he bought a MD but the only 2 games he ever bought for it were Sonic the Hedgehog and an EA NHL game. we did love those games though! I did play on Burnin' Rubber in Dixons at the time, not a bad game!

I agree with you on the updated MD - i never even liked it just the redesigned MD unit itself. But...The original with the Mega CD - in the 90s thats what you wanted a console to look like - big and bad!

STE wrote :- Can anyone recall the Commodore C64GS, it may have only been released in Europe but it was a complete waste of time being released in 1991 when the C64 was already 8 years old and the C64 computer already had a cartridge port if you wanted to play the few carts that came out for it.

yes it looks like a console from about 8 years earlier too. why would anyone have bought one when you could already buy a Megadrive is beyond me.

Some that came close to making my list were :

Xbox 1 i did half want to put the Xbox in my list but i actually half-like the design (probably because its a bit like we would have wanted a console to look in the 90s) and the console itself does feel reassuringly expensive. I also have the crystal one which i think actually looks quite good. i have never seen a black one in real life, if i did i might feel differently. it would depend on the quality of the plastic Grin

US and European NES objectively this looks pretty awful in some ways, resembling as it does a box. but it has a certain charm, and similiar to the Xbox - i half-like and half-dislike the design. It was of its time i think. Its funny how they made the game cartridges and the console twice the size for the Western market. just because we in the West thought that bigger = better at that time.

cthulhu
These are my "favourites":

The original Famicom...horrible design, the controllers were fixed to the console and I also dislike the colors.
img135.imageshack.us/img135/2820/famicomvy2.jpg

Gonna step on some toes maybe...the Panasonic 3DO...what the hell were they thinking when they designed this???
www.scottdecker.com/video_games/3do.jpg

Again, maybe insulting some people, but the original PC Engine in combination with the Super CD ROM also looks terrible...the plastic is some of the cheapest looking I've ever seen on a console, it almost looks like a very cheap toy.
dl.openhandhelds.org/wiz/screenshots/temper.jpg

Apart from these I also have to agree on the Amiga 32, my god that's hideous...I remember playing it a long time ago...did have some nice games though. Oh yeah the Megadrive 2 and MegaCD 2 combo also looked crap...the original combo was way better.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

NeoGeoNinja
cthulhu wrote:
Gonna step on some toes maybe...the Panasonic 3DO...what the hell were they thinking when they designed this???

HAHAHA...
probably only mine Cthulhu. But yeah, I really like the design of the 3DO. It looks so so in images but I think it's awesome to behold in the flesh!

cthulhu wrote:
Again, maybe insulting some people, but the original PC Engine in combination with the Super CD ROM also looks terrible...the plastic is some of the cheapest looking I've ever seen on a console, it almost looks like a very cheap toy.
dl.openhandhelds.org/wiz/screenshots/temper.jpg

I WAS ALSO...
going to mention this, but having had no real physical experience of it, I decided against it. However, based on all the pictures I have seen... Yes, I totally agree. It looks absolutely hideous!! Especially considering the PCE looks on it's own. Luckily they released the Duo series (Duo, R & RX) down the line that, whilst looking like some kind of Epson flatbed scanner, also managed to look alright, albeit, very non-descript looking.

DID ANYONE MENTION...
the Bandai Playdia yet?:

www.superclassicvideogames.com/playdia3.jpg

See, in some respects I quite like the 'direction' of the Playdia (wireless pad stored in front of console!) but the overall the rest of the design is pretty nasty, especially those colours and that 'WonderSwan' Dpad. The bottom of the console is a mint green... to match nicely with the purple/blue top half of course!

AND NOT FORGETTING...
The NES Mk2. There are many Mk2 consoles I'm less partial towards vs the original model, but this makes the decision real easy: A credit card receipt printer containing NES technology!

gamez-gear.com/ds/images/uploads/NES2.jpg

I'll be honest. I have NO idea what they were smoking when they 'designed' that. Luckily, I assume the rather splendid looking SFC was born from the concept.

THIS ONE, HOWEVER...
I'm on the fence about. I really don't think it's particularly pleasant to behold, but there's something understated and cool about it. There's no shaking those 'Apple' roots though, as this really does look like a mini G3 Power PC or something. Perhaps that's WHY I kind of like it? The pad IS cool though. It's just the console that is somewhat 'suspicious' looking...

www.rklok.nl/pics/ebay/2011-04-01/Pippinc.jpg

Ninja

cthulhu
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
DID ANYONE MENTION...
the Bandai Playdia yet?:

www.superclassicvideogames.com/playdia3.jpg
Ninja

Well...urm...it's blue isn't it? Yeah, it's not great.

Well, I've just realised that most consoles aren't really pleasing to look at...ah well, in the end it's all about the games themselves.
My arcade stuff

shion
cthulhu posted:

Ha ha, tell it bro, tell it... I don't get this design either. I actually thought the Western NES was pretty ugly (althrough, as we would probably all agree, a quintessential on any top three list, gamewise). Does anyone remember how the outer gray plastic would "antique" (it would develop dark blotches which wouldn't wash off), or was that just mine?? Come to think of it, the Master System wasn't easy on the eyes either, IMO. Shock In recent times, a console that really stands out is the original Xbox... It's quite an abomination!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
Glowsquid
The Amstrad GX-4000 is pretty dopey-looking (I am also fond of the retarded packaging art) and I don't like how the American SNES looks all yellowed and shit, but it's ok with the original colors.

Though not the ugliest (that's the original Famicom, no contest), both the Zeebo and the VIS are by far the most uninspired and boring designs.
Edited by Glowsquid on 19. June 2011 20:47

1983parrothead
I think the Tiger R-ZONE series take the cake.
Edited by 1983parrothead on 20. June 2011 04:29

Anselm
i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee41/Anselmdante/1305385782_200675532_1-Pictures-of--Xbox-sixth-generation-video-game-console.jpg

NEO-GEO man
-SD- wrote:
and 3DO were also terrible.

Pull ya head in!! Ive got 2 FZ10 3DOs here, and nothing bloody wrong with their looks!!!

The first Playstation, now that is a poxy looking console...

NeoGeoNinja
Anselm wrote:
i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee41/Anselmdante/1305385782_200675532_1-Pictures-of--Xbox-sixth-generation-video-game-console.jpg

BUT ANSELM...
you forgot this!

benheck.com/Games/Xbox360/duke/duke360_1.jpg

or should I say this:

chanarchive.org/content/51_v/44564432/1260939536711.jpg

Hahahahahaha...

Ninja

RiKo
My Xbox looks the same but is see-thru and comes with type-S controllers. i think it looks good but i realise i could be alone here....

trinifieds.com/classifieds/wp-content/uploads/classipress/xbox-crystal-edition-218332415.jpg

Cthulhu! dammit i love that PC Engine combo. you have to imagine back in the 80s that was totally awesome. a CD drive was a futuristic thing we never expected to have with a console. you are right about the cheap plastic though- they went yellow very easily. also dont forget that set up is a briefcase which makes it even more awesome. - this is actually my one below before i sold it last year. the briefcase lid is in the box. (note the yellowed CD-ROM drive)

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/SNV84663sell.jpg

I agree with you on the other ones - although i dont mind the original Famicom (anything that can get rid of the mess of controllers is great), and i think the Apple Pippin looks terrible! - like an add on Cd Drive or Modem for your PC

worth posting a picture of the Supergrafx with it's add on CD drive (this is actually the most compact setup, alternatively the original white CDROM drive can be connected with a huge interface connector)

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/aa/PCEngine_SuperGrafx_with_SuperCDRom2.jpg/800px-PCEngine_SuperGrafx_with_SuperCDRom2.jpg

reminds me of one of those Power Ranger robots where all the robots join together to form a mighty war machine
Edited by RiKo on 20. June 2011 14:17

cthulhu
RiKo wrote:
Cthulhu! dammit i love that PC Engine combo. you have to imagine back in the 80s that was totally awesome. a CD drive was a futuristic thing we never expected to have with a console. you are right about the cheap plastic though- they went yellow very easily. also dont forget that set up is a briefcase which makes it even more awesome. - this is actually my one below before i sold it last year. the briefcase lid is in the box. (note the yellowed CD-ROM drive)

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/SNV84663sell.jpg

Heh...it does look good with the briefcase lid CLOSED! Just kidding, I love the PC Engine and it's games (I've got a DUO-R), but I still think the original combo looks extremely cheap no matter how it was a long time ago...I loved my NES in the 80's and I still love the look of it now (best looking box ever).
My arcade stuff

RiKo
Cthulhu wrote :- Heh...it does look good with the briefcase lid CLOSED! Just kidding, I love the PC Engine and it's games (I've got a DUO-R), but I still think the original combo looks extremely cheap no matter how it was a long time ago...I loved my NES in the 80's and I still love the look of it now (best looking box ever).

haha, i can see now it's not to everyone's taste. I do actually prefer it to the other PC Engine's (there are a lot of them!) they look ok but i think they are a bit anonymous looking. I actually sold my PCE in favour of my Saturn. (too many consoles!) i have mixed feelings about the NES design a bit like the Xbox, but it is very iconic now. and is quite cool in a way.

Talking earlier about consoles that look like spaceships. The PC Engine shuttle was designed to look like one!

www.japaneseretrogamesstation.com/images/shuttle-japanese.jpg
Edited by RiKo on 20. June 2011 18:06

cthulhu
RiKo wrote:
Talking earlier about consoles that look like spaceships. The PC Engine shuttle was designed to look like one!

www.japaneseretrogamesstation.com/images/shuttle-japanese.jpg

Aaaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!!! My eyes!!! Yes, there are a lot of different versions of the PC Engine, which is a real pain when you're looking to buy one. I had a hard time deciding on which PC Engine to buy, but the Shuttle looks aweful, so I never considered buying that one.

And again, I love the boxy NES...klick linky for the best looking supergun ever: http://www.assemb...hp?t=21376
See? The NES design is all powerful!
My arcade stuff

Jump to Forum: