Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: NEO-GEO man
Thread ID: 3361
Thread Info
There are 39 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 9007 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Which controller??
AES version 1 stick AES version 1 stick 47%[8 Votes]
Version 2 stick Version 2 stick 0%[0 Votes]
CD control pad CD control pad 12%[2 Votes]
Hori fighting stick Hori fighting stick 6%[1 Vote]
X-ARCADE stick ( single or double ) X-ARCADE stick ( single or double ) 0%[0 Votes]
Modded stick ( please specify ) Modded stick ( please specify ) 6%[1 Vote]
Cabinet mounted MVS controls Cabinet mounted MVS controls 18%[3 Votes]
OTHER ( please specify ) OTHER ( please specify ) 12%[2 Votes]
Total Votes : 17
 Print Thread
Which controller? ( POLL )
NEO-GEO man
Hello everyone, i thought id make a poll on what controller everyone likes to play their NEO-GEO games with.

Im adding all the genuines, as well as a couple options for the aftermarket units, and also an option for emulator users to specify what they use.

Im thinking of converting one of my X-ARCADE singles to use on the NEO-GEO as well, may even use the extra buttons for A+B, B+C, C+D or something like that...

At the moment, i have 3 original style AES sticks, 1 CD control pad, and 1 newer style sticks ( and 2 X-ARCADE singles ). I much prefer the original style AES sticks, although i havent given the CD control pad much of a chance yet.

I have modded one of my AES sticks ( and one for a friend ) about 7 years ago using a USB "Thrustmaster Firestorm Digital 3" control pad, and soldered the wires onto the control pad board, which fits inside the AES stick housing. It also has its original cable still there, and i use it on the AES and CMVS systems i have here too. It was perfect for playing games on the emulators.

RiKo
i have always used the original AES stick. its actually my favourite arcade stick out of the ones i have used on any console so far. the buttons have very low action and the stick has very little travel. which is all just perfect for me. great stick! Smile
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
boogiepop
While I prefer HORI sticks, there's something to be said for playing a neo with the original stick. So that gets my vote.
Born to Die

NeoGeoNinja
OTHER...
(please specify) is my choice, as unusually, I actually use a type of SEGA Saturn controller to play my AES with!

Basically I have a couple of these:

www.gamesarefun.com/consoles/ps2/segasat.jpg

and I use them both in conjuction with these:

www.tototek.com/store/images/TTK/neojoy.jpg

They work with my AES absolutely flawlessly! And, FYI, the buttons are mapped as:
Sat X = NG A
Sat A = NG B
Sat Y = NG C
Sat B = NG D

which all works out perfectly for me, especially as I don't like sticks much... as I'm crap with them! And, oh... how I've tried.

Peace out.

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

LIFE_IN_2D
First choice is "old style" AES sticks. I just adore them.

Second is my Mini MAS stick. It's basically a custom stick made of Happ components, I do better with Happ ( for certain games), as HAPP was the American standard when I was a kiddo.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Zakatek
I use a Hori real arcade pro 3 SA for pc and ps3 to play neo geo games.

Loris Biaggi
NeoGeoNinja wrote:I actually use a type of SEGA Saturn controller to play my AES with!

Shock Thumbs Down
------------- Neo Mini Box -----------
imageshack.us/a/img832/3766/qyg.gif

NeoGeoNinja
NeoGeoNinja wrote:I actually use a type of SEGA Saturn controller to play my AES with!

Virtual Boy wrote:
Shock Thumbs Down

What can I say? Hmm Finger

Ninja

Murikov
AES 1 original stick for me, as it's the real deal. Headbang 2
Although I like the 2nd one as well. Has anybody familiarized playing +6 button fighting games (SF etc) with the AES stick 2? I think it's pretty manageable.
i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/SNK%20stuff/SNK_zps13025fff.gif

priest
Ninja: Have you tryed the NEO GEO CD controller? Since you like joypads maybe this will apeal to you. I use this quite a lot actually...So yea, CD pad for me...
Edited by priest on 11. June 2011 19:31
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
LIFE_IN_2D
priest wrote:
Ninja: Have you tryed the NEO GEO CD controller? Since you like joypads maybe this will apeal to you. I use this quite a lot actually...So yea, CD pad for me...

The Neo Geo CD controller is top notch for shooters. I am actually VERY fond of how great it is for shooters. It's a shame it's not very well-rounded, as it is horrible for fighters, IMO.

Murikov wrote:
Although I like the 2nd one as well. Has anybody familiarized playing +6 button fighting games (SF etc) with the AES stick 2? I think it's pretty manageable.

Ummmm what? The 'kidney bean' AES stick only has 4 buttons, aye? How the hell would you play a 6 button game on it? Mod?
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 11. June 2011 20:00
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

priest
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:
Murikov wrote:

Ummmm what? The 'kidney bean' AES stick only has 4 buttons, aye? How the hell would you play a 6 button game on it? Mod?

I think that what Murikov means is; maybe its OK for you to miss out on two of the buttons when playing a six button game with a four button stick - Its not perfect but its do-able...That what I think he means...

Funny I think that the CD pad works all around no matter what genre, Ive been damaged by playing games using a joypad all of my youthSmile
Edited by priest on 11. June 2011 20:25
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
Murikov
priest wrote:
I think that what Murikov means is; maybe its OK for you to miss out on two of the buttons when playing a six button game with a four button stick - Its not perfect but its do-able...That what I think he means...

My dumb self, I completely forgot about the "kidney bean" one. I actually meant the USB AES stick, better known as "Neo Geo Stick 2". This one has 8 buttons at least.
i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/SNK%20stuff/SNK_zps13025fff.gif

Xian Xi
I use a Neo Hori Stick modded with a Sanwa JLF w/octogate and Sanwa 30mm buttons. Feels and responds perfect.

NeoGeoNinja
Murikov wrote:
...Although I like the 2nd one as well. Has anybody familiarized playing +6 button fighting games (SF etc) with the AES stick 2? I think it's pretty manageable.

OF BOTH THE STICKS...
I have used, although the 1st Gen LOOKS better, I actually prefer to (if I have to) use the 2nd Gen, especially as you can actually place your thumb on the top with your hand under the base of the stick, like control pad... sort of. But it actually works!

priest wrote:
Ninja: Have you tried the NEO GEO CD controller? Since you like joypads maybe this will appeal to you. I use this quite a lot actually...So yea, CD pad for me...

I HAVE TRIED THE CD CONTROLLER...
but it's not quick enough for me in terms of response for fighters. Too much travel Also, for non-configurable fighting games, the default button layout is pretty nasty imo... with D being on the top for example! I really can't adjust to that, as I have an ideal default for all consoles, and that defiles it pretty badly (i.e. a Kick on the 'top row'... it really doesn't work for me!)

Xian Xi wrote:
I use a Neo Hori Stick modded with a Sanwa JLF w/octogate and Sanwa 30mm buttons. Feels and responds perfect.

Check out this flash sucka! Wink

Ninja

neogeoeno
aes joystick 1 is still remains the first choice for me with capcom arcade power stick ( street fighter 2 joystick)

Xian Xi
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Check out this flash sucka! Wink
Ninja

Haha. It was actually one of the more labor intensive stick mods I've done. Putting a JLF stick into an AES Old Style stick was actually easier than the Neo Hori stick. If I ever make another one I'll make a tutorial. But it was well worth the trouble.

NEO-GEO man
Alot of responses to this question!!

Xian Xi, do you have any pics?

Im not a huge fan of the sticks in the X-ARCADE, i much prefer the Suzo sticks my MVS 4 slotter cab had.

Here is a couple shots i took years ago of that panel:

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/Casethecorvetteman/Gaming%20shots/DSCI0007.jpg

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/Casethecorvetteman/Gaming%20shots/DSCI0006.jpg

Xian Xi
It's actually the one listed on my site for sale. I feel the price was fair for the work put into it but I do know that someone is most likely not going to buy it at that price.

www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/images/sales/aes-hori-mod1.jpg
www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/images/sales/aes-hori-mod2.jpg

valgalder
Virtual Boy wrote:

Shock Thumbs Down

that's horrible.. especially since the A button is so commonly used and to have it on the X button on the Saturn controller is just nuts.. but whatever. to each their own. I prefer the MVS with authentic iL Eurojoystick with Happ convex buttons the best Smile) but otherwise, i really do like the Neo Geo CD pads.

Jump to Forum: