Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Bullet
Thread ID: 3351
Thread Info
There are 19 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 4963 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Live coverage links to the Electronic Three
Bullet
For those interested in the upcoming battles.

Microsoft: 9AM to 11AM PST http://www.xbox.c...mmunity/E3

EA: 12:30PM to 1:30PM PST http://live-event...m/e3/press

Ubisoft: 2:30PM to 3:30PM PST http://uplay.us.u...m/agegate/

Sony: 5PM to 6:30PM PST http://us.playsta...m/e3-2011/

Tuesday

Nintendo: 9AM - 10AM PST http://e3.nintend...

ENJOY!!!
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

reelmojo
Nothing has knocked my socks off yet this year. We're a day into E3 and still no big surprises? Halo 4 was a cool announcement, but everyone had to know that was coming eventually. There were a few cool games shown for PS Vita and SFxT for Vita was kind of a surprise, especially with Cole from InFamous as a guest character. Apparently he's also going to be in the PS3 version so either 360 players are going to be left out again (like with Kratos in MK) or MS will get an exclusive character too. Cole fits in much better than anyone I can think of from a 360 exclusive game though.

A bunch of new trailers came out today too that weren't associated with any of the big press conferences. Prey 2 is looking like a game I'll have to pre-order and they haven't even shown gameplay yet. Sonic Generations is looking as cool as ever. Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is very interesting. Batman Arkham City shows off Catwoman's gameplay and it looks badass. And Trials Evolution may just be a quick teaser, but I cannot even begin to tell you how happy I am that Trials HD is getting a sequel!

Also disappointing to me is the lack of updates about a few games we already know are in development. Beyond Good & Evil 2 and The Last Guardian come to mind. Also, can Rockstar just announce Grand Theft Auto 5 already? If they don't announce it by the end of the show I'll be very surprised.

Bullet
I think the new Tomb Raider looked great and will be a day one for me.
So far there hasn't been a ton of oh shit moments, but it has been full of games that I'll buy.

I wasn't blown away by the stuff on display by Microsoft, but knew I'd be buying a lot of those games. Not that what they had was bad, but just the obvious choice when you have successful brands. I love the Forza games, Halo Anniversary/Halo 4 etc it was a solid showing, just no huge surprises. Some of the Kinect stuff actually looked neat this time around.

Sony, aside from kicking Nintendo in the nuts with a 249 price on the wifi PS Vita, only really had Uncharted 3 and they opened with that, so started the show with a game they should have ended with. Otherwise I was left wonder what happen to color palettes in games?

For me it was an E3 so far that is most notable for what wasn't there.

Oh and Atlus publishing KOF 13 made my day in a big way.

So now it's up to Nintendo to wow me with there 2 in 1 system in a system lol
Edited by Bullet on 07. June 2011 16:36

NeoGeoNinja
SOOO...
whats the general consensus on the Wii-U?

I posted these thoughts on another forum:

"I HAVE A REAL MIXTURE...
of emotions going on here. On the one side, I'm disappointed. Disappointed that Nintendo couldn't just make a real hardcore console. But on the other hand, I'm oddly impressed. Yes, like DC has said, it IS a bit of an ergonomic disaster and I really think the sticks need 'better' placement, not dissimilar to how controllers are now I suppose, with the sticks lower than the Dpad and face buttons. Also, how many shoulder buttons does this thing have? If ANY lesson is to be learned by Nintendo, surely in this day and age, it's that you can't have too few buttons! Less than 4 shoulders is disabling your console out of the gate as is a lack of 'click in' analogs. Touch screen or not, it could still use them.

For the time being I shall remain optimistic. If it's ONE thing Nintendo is good at, it's innovation. That and the fact that they can make their innovations work..."

What does anybody else think? Hmm

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

reelmojo
Ninja, there are four shoulder buttons on the WiiU controller. I was worried about that too. Now I'm just worried that it looks like it's gonna be a bit heavy. Other than that, I am very impressed with Nintendo's attempt at catering to hardcore and casual crowds simultaneously. I'm very optimistic about the WiiU. At least now Nintendo can actually have multiplatform games on there system that can live up to their 360/PS3 counterparts. Makes me wonder what direction the 720 and PS4 will take in a few years.

Bullet, the new Tomb Raider does looks pretty awesome. And yeah, Kinect is looking more and more interesting. I still have no plans to buy one anytime soon but at least now there are actually games on it that look fun. And Kinect Fun Labs does look pretty cool.

So far the biggest and best surprises for me were:

Trials Evolution
KoF XIII being published by Atlus
The versatility of the WiiU's controller

And by the way, when is someone going to have a cool name for a console again? Could they have possibly have thought up a dumber sounding name than WiiU? I'll admit PS Vita isn't a horrible name though.

EDIT: And anybody who is not happy about Ridge Racer Unbounded should be happy that Ridge Racer is coming to Vita.
Edited by reelmojo on 08. June 2011 05:25

marktheshark
Ok, how does the new Wii U controller screen work? What does it allow the console to do? Does the screen function like a big VMU?

Besides this somewhat interesting tidbit. The only news that I even cared about is KOF XIII home port. With the way things are going next generation, it'll be the first in which I'll probably skip out entirely or at least large parts of it.

STE C
I feel pretty positive about some of the things I have seen at E3 this year and reckon this could turn out to be a great gaming year to hopefully rival 2004-5 ( Doom3, Quake 4, Half Life 2 Halo 2) especially if FPS are your cup of tea.

umm Halo 4 to be honest I would prefer to see Halo put to bed and Bungie work on a new franchise but Halo Reach was the game 3 should have been so I will keep an open mind.

Prey 2 , not the sequel I was expecting and odd that it is still using the old ( but very powerful) Doom 3 engine, loved the first game and early impressions bare no resemblance to the first apart from its a FPS . Still its the same team I think so I will be keeping an eye on this one.

Gears 3 , the reason I bought a new 360 this year and top contender for game of the year I reckon. Would like to see the story finished and for Epic to try a new franchise despite loving the series.

Uncharted 3, again poss contender with Gears 3, first 2 games were great ( especially 1st) a good chance for the PS3 to shine and show that it can do things the 360 cant ( so they say).

Rage, ID Software John Carmack come on its gotta be a cracker even if it is looking more like Fallout 3 everyday.

hoping to see some footage of Max Payne 3 & new Serious Sam as well. Yeah I know its all sequels but sequels are a fact of life & gaming now.
Edited by STE C on 08. June 2011 13:16

NeoGeoNinja
STE C wrote:
I love my sequels... they're a fact of life now... just like marriage, children and death... blah blah blah

YES STE...
but do you have no opinion on the Wii-U? This surely the BIGGEST news to come out of E3 this year? I'm secretly excited and concerned, all at the same time - ONLY because Ninty have scrimped on component quality to push a screen into the middle of their controller (i.e. no analog triggers, no analog sticks, just 'nubs' and the Dpad and Buttons pulled straight off a DSLite! ).

Whilst I don't have an outright issue with how the controller looks, I do have big reservations on how it will feel and perform. As I've said here (@NGFL) many times before, the standard of the proprietary controller is the BIGGEST deal for me, even over the graphics!! Why else would I have bought a PS3 > 360 back in early 2009? It sure wasn't due to the exclusives back then (although records of mass unreliability on the 360's part did, and always will, hurt my interest massively!)

Ninja
(EDIT: congrats on your reaching... GIGA POWER!)
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 08. June 2011 14:08

RiKo
i am a bit surprised by the Wii U. i dont really understand it at the moment. im sure it will make sense when i see it being used. the actual console looks like an old VHS recorder and the controller - well its huge, i have no idea how this thing is going to work. but Nintendo always know what they are doing....(virtual boy aside)

i wil say that it doesnt look like it will host many of the kinds of games i like though - a bit like the Wii - it will have some games that appeal to me but not that many. it seems more of an attempt at a casual or kid-market console. which is sensible from a business point of view i guess, because they need to differentiate themselves from what sony/microsoft are doing.

as for E3 -----> well stuff like Halo 4 new tomb raider and new Forza and Gears all sound good but you need those kinds of games along with some innovative new stuff really and where is it? on PS3 Last Guardian should be quite cool but its only one game, and its taking years to make. what hope is there of many more games like that?

i miss the Dreamcast when Sega was constantly innovating and making great (though commercially unsuccessful) new play experiences. i think Microsoft and Sony have a responsibility as the console manufacturers to innovate more. to be fair in the past Sony has been pretty good at that.
Edited by RiKo on 08. June 2011 14:44
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
STE C
NeoGeoNinja wrote:

(EDIT: congrats on your reaching... GIGA POWER!)

I had no idea I was at Giga power, pretty cool i suppose. As for the new Wii erm to be honest I have not took a lot of notice I just saw the pad and assumed it was a new handheld which would not interest me in the slightest. So it is an actual console then for use on a television, anybody know anything about the specs yet.

update just checked up on it and must say its sort of what I expected ( we all expected a HD Wii) but I am a little miffed at the quality of what I have saw.I would be shocked but not surprised if they were still peddling the same technology ( HD Gamecube) please tell me this is not the case. Then again its a mass market console as was the Wii but I think its looks a little to complicated for the mainstream* I could of coarse end up with egg on my face and find myself buying one of these* but at this early stage no thanks. If Sega decide to port its model 3 arcade conversions of coarse then sign me up.

Although I own a Wii ( purchased recently) its one of the few consoles I have regretted buying as it is not home to the sort of games I am into, anybody on the site who know me is aware I bought it to play a few old Sega arcade games. But owning these few titles does not justify the 120 I spent on it which I guess makes me a fool.
Edited by STE C on 08. June 2011 16:21

NeoGeoNinja
RiKo wrote:
i am a bit surprised by the Wii U. i dont really understand it at the moment. im sure it will make sense when i see it being used. the actual console looks like an old VHS recorder and the controller - well its huge, i have no idea how this thing is going to work. but Nintendo always know what they are doing....(virtual boy aside)

I THINK IT'S...
pretty obvious myself. Nintendo are once again trying to create a, yet again, different gaming experience, this time focusing on the ability to have different in game view points. I think, the first time I properly saw this idea was when Nintendo (funnily enough) allowed players to hook up their GBA's to the GCN via link cables, and use the GBA as a controler in it's own right with it's own screen, thus allowing up to 4 players to play Zelda as a team on the big screen, and should either Link take a temporary separate route, they can do via their controller's screen - which happened in Four Swords on GCN. It was also experimented with by Namco on PacMan VS for GCN, bundled with R:Racing. It was a great concept and has seemingly now reached full fruition! Does any one else have any pre Wii-U examples of this concept? Even down to perhaps the abilty to use your PSP's as wing mirrors in the original and exclusive F1 Championship for PS3. It's all a similar idea, just fully realised and just as importantly, now in tune with todays touchscreen technology infatuation!

RiKo wrote:
i wil say that it doesnt look like it will host many of the kinds of games i like though - a bit like the Wii - it will have some games that appeal to me but not that many. it seems more of an attempt at a casual or kid-market console. which is sensible from a business point of view i guess, because they need to differentiate themselves from what sony/microsoft are doing.

SURELY, IT'S IMPOSSIBLE...
to say straight out of the gate that this console will fail to host the kind of games you like? I'm no longer a Nintendo fanboy (I was in the 90's!), however, I think it's pretty plain to see the potential that this console possesses. Have you not seen the gun peripheral with the controller mounted on top?! Imagine playing something like ALIENS Colonial Marines with the controller screen STRICTLY as your only HUD, with the ammo count etc taking place on the screen with it's primary function... a Motion Tracker, with the trademark sound coming straight from the controller itself! I'm fantasising of course, but the idea is great. And just like Dead Space before, removing ALL that HUD clutter really adds to the immersiveness of the experience imo.

Also, I think wrting it off as a 'kid-market' console is a bit harsh too. After all, just look at other competing products in other markets, for instance, phones. The iPhone has the giddy touchscreen functionality, all those Apps and a very colourful disposition VS the harsher, more severe Blackberry, with it's big keypad and MS overtones. The former sells the most, due to it pushing the boundaries of what a phone was and what it could do and far more than just 'kids' buy those.

RiKo wrote:
as for E3 -----> well stuff like Halo 4 new tomb raider and new Forza and Gears all sound good but you need those kinds of games along with some innovative new stuff really and where is it? on PS3 Last Guardian should be quite cool but its only one game, and its taking years to make. what hope is there of many more games like that?

REALLY? I ADMIT...
I absolutely cringed my bollocks clean off when they announced a Halo 4... and alongside the Halo Anniversary remake too! Super cringeworthy, but no... everyone seems cool with it - the devs writing Halo off in view of pastures green, only to come right back to 'rock bottom'. Forza 4 and Gears 3 are boring too, regardless of whether they're good or not. I mean, Forza 3, which is markedly inferior to F4 apparently, was stored on 3 DISCS... so how many is this iteration going to be? A whopping 4 DISCS perhaps? Crazyness.

However, I agree... where are the innovative new titles?

RiKo wrote:
i miss the Dreamcast when Sega was constantly innovating and making great (though commercially unsuccessful) new play experiences. i think Microsoft and Sony have a responsibility as the console manufacturers to innovate more. to be fair in the past Sony has been pretty good at that.

I AGREE, AND YES...
Sony have been good with innovation in the past, but mainly just physical products, as opposed to the games themselves. So I guess, if anything, perhaps M$ should try picking up the baton of innovation?...

Ninja

RiKo
Ninja wrote :- I THINK IT'S...
pretty obvious myself. Nintendo are once again trying to create a, yet again, different gaming experience, this time focusing on the ability to have different in game view points.

yes but that's not that great really is it? i remember when they first launched the DS they said you could have a football game with the action on one screen and replays on the other. whoopie-do lol. im glad they came up with better uses for the 2nd screen! apparently they had a demo of the Wii-U where you see a golf ball on your controller screen and you hit it with the remote and then you see it on the big screen. great! fun for the kids. i mean your Aliens-idea is good but its still just a gimmick really. having an extra screen will make the game about 2% better. i mean isnt this really the same as the GBA and GameCube setup you mention?

yes i am being cynical but i saw where Nintendo aimed the Wii - at the kid and casual (families) market and it was a huge success. so why would they change now? same with microsoft's Kinnect and Sonys Move controllers they go for families - e.g. dance games, party games too. i mean i can see some great potential in Kinnect - but are we ever going to see a proper game for it? maybe a few eventually but most games will be gimmicky games cos they sell well and are cheap to make.

watch this video to get an idea of the games Nintendo has in mind :

http://e3.nintend...eo/HW_demo

i suppose i am just not excited about this console at all from what ive seen so far. what would excite me would be a virtual reality console with motion detection Smile i do agree that if the 3rd party support (it seems to have been well receieved) is there there could be some great games. it just depends on what demographic of people buy the console i suppose. it will be interesting to see if its marketed at 360/PS3 users by Nintendo.

yes i agree about Halo 4, Gears 3 etc but we have KOF XIII and Tekken 6 , Tomb Raider 9?? or whatever so whats the difference? if halo 4 turns out better than halo 3 no one will complain. i suppose it just depends how much you like the games. but yes all those kind of sequels should be fleshing out a line up of original innovative games.

im not sure what games Microsoft make really - other than financing developers. I mean Halo is Bungie and Gears is Epic, PGR was Bizarre (RIP). they seem to be only good at simulation/sports titles. i guess Forza is one of theirs properly. i do think its odd they havent established more development studios. they should definitely step up a bit in that area. and also finance a few more leftfield titles. i cant remember the exact titles but back in PS2 days Sony was the most innovative developer/publisher at one time. with games like Ico, Katamari, God of War etc. Microsoft and Sony can afford to take the risks so i think they should do so.

People were confused when Nintendo launched the DS too :
i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/NintendoBSb.jpg
Edited by RiKo on 08. June 2011 17:56

Bullet
I think , despite the name, the system looks fine and all reports are that the controller is very light as it has no gpu etc as its just a controller with a camera, some motion controls and a touch screen.

I do basically see it as 2011's VMU and will do many things similar to a VMU, but also allow for many other innovations.

All the demos Nintendo had were very basic concepts , but were playable and looked interesting, if only for what could be done. Obviously , you'll pick plays in NFL Football, Hockey, Soccer, etc. The other possibilities are mech games, flight sims, hacking tools or inventory style pda for games like fallout or even games like Crystal Chronicles or Four Swords. I think it has real potential and has all the thing we as gamers want, 2 analog sticks, a d-pad, triggers and now a touch screen. I think it could also be good for browsing things like netflix, the Nintendo online store and what not. I also think that they showed a commitment to bringing real games and working with the other major publishers is a big step towards being relevant to us as gamers, but then again, I own a wii, 360, ps3 etc etc and bought and played wii games, so I can see that the wii has tons of crap, but also a bunch of great games that are only on that system.

The more interesting part of the new Wii U to me is that when it hits in fall of 2012, it will have to be priced very competitively. I mean by that point you'll be looking at ps3's and 360's that are going to retail below $199.99 USD, so nintendo cant sell that machine for anymore than 299.99 to 349.99.

Crazy I know, but here is how they do it.

The machine is running on hardware that by the time it hits retail it'll be about 3 years old, still much newer than 360/PS3 tech wise, but will cost less to mass produce by 2012. Also it still uses wiimotes and classic controllers and the balance board, wiimotes cost Nintendo less than 10 bucks to produce and they sell them for about 40 bucks. I think they can afford to take a bit of a hit on the hardware initially, to build customer base and still make big profits off accessories. The system also supports usb external harddrives and sd cards another place Nintendo could brand accessories. Also by that time you are looking at a 99 dollar Wii and the machine is fully backwards compatible, so they'll still be making money of Nintendo's first party software.

I think it'll go something like that lol
Edited by Bullet on 08. June 2011 18:40

reelmojo
Just to clear this up for everyone, Halo 4 and Halo Anniversary are not Bungie games. After Halo Reach Bungie sold the series to Microsoft and are currently working on a big multiplatform project to be published by Activision. Halo is now being handled by 343 Industries (some former Bungie employees like Frank O'Conner are there) and Microsoft Studios. And Anniversary and 4 are NOT being released side by side but rather an entire year apart.

And I think gamers hoping and praying for a home release of King of Fighters Thirteen like we all were probably shouldn't be too anti-sequel.
Edited by reelmojo on 09. June 2011 01:43

Bullet
I think to actually clear it up for everyone, you'd have to say that Microsoft owned Bungie as a studio, thus held the rights to the halo brand. Bungie bought themselves out from microsoft so they could make other games as they didn't want to make halo games anymore.

From watching the press conference etc it was pretty clear that this was the 10th anniversary of halo and that halo 4 was announced as a 2012 release, not sure if that was really unclear.

I also think complaining about a game that sold well is a special brand of crazy. Sure the original creative staff moves on , but new people come in and for better or worse (falcoon anyone?) put their stamp on the series. I also think that guys sticking around the halo series like Frank show that they loved that series and want to be there to see it evolve.

If you make something... anything, you want people to buy it. If it does well you make more. I think people have a hard time separating their individual love for the art, game play and story to see that it is a business.

RiKo
thanks for that, i had a feeling the Halo games might have gone to a diffeerent studio. i dont blame Bungie for wanting to make something else!

i dont mind the sequels but the problem comes when it is just the sequels being released and not much else. where is the new Halo?, the new Tomb Raider, the new Tekken, the new GTA? etc. I want a new game to be released that is so fresh and good that it becomes a franchise in the future.

that was one of my problems with Nintendo on the Wii, they dont seem to actually be creating many new traditional gaming franchises. Mario Galaxy and Metroid, Zelda etc are all great but those franchises started back in the 80s. a lot of the new games they are making like Wii Fit, Wii Music etc they appeal to a different market.where's the new Mario? the new Zelda? the new F-Zero? does anyone really get excited by a another Mario Kart game these days? i suppose they do but its not the same excitement as when you played the first one on SNES.

reelmojo
I totally get what you're saying, Riko. The problem is that brand new properties don't get huge attention like sequels do at E3. As far as brand new stuff coming soon both Catherine and El Shaddai look pretty amazing and original.

Back on the Halo topic, my fear just might be coming true... I was afraid that without Bungie's involvement Halo would become a new CoD with a new game being released every year. If the game that comes out every other year is a special case like Anniversary or a different genre like Halo Wars then I'd be okay with that, but if Halo 5 comes out in 2013... I'll probably buy it but still complain.

And yes, Bullet was more correct about the Bungie/MS/Halo stuff. I forgot that ownership of of the Halo franchise was kind of how Bungie was able to get away from MS in the first place, even though they did go on to develop Reach and ODST after the split. At least I think ODST was after the split...

No news on Bungie's new project sucks, by the way! If it's an MMO like the speculation says I won't care all that much because I don't play MMOs, but I'd still like to know what they're working on.

EDIT: A few other new original games that are looking really cool: Asura's Wrath, Dragon's Dogma, Neverdead, From Dust, Bastion, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Dark Souls, Rise of Nightmares (a good Kinect game!?), Anarchy Reigns, Dragon's Crown (spiritual successor to Capcom's D&D beat'em ups!), Dead Island, Amy... and these are only the ones I'm personally interested in. How will I ever have enough money for all of this!?
Edited by reelmojo on 10. June 2011 04:21

NeoGeoNinja
reelmojo wrote:
...A few other new original games that are looking really cool: Asura's Wrath, Dragon's Dogma, Neverdead, From Dust, Bastion, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Dark Souls, Rise of Nightmares (a good Kinect game!?), Anarchy Reigns,
Dragon's Crown (spiritual successor to Capcom's D&D beat'em ups!), Dead Island, Amy... and these are only the ones I'm personally interested in. How will I ever have enough money for all of this!?

YOU'VE MENTIONED...
a few there that I too have interest in (emboldened FYI!). Haven't heard of some of those myself, so I'll check 'em out... thanks Wink

Oh, out of the games you mentioned though, I'm looking forward to Asura's Wrath the most, followed by Dragons Crown - which I have to say, I thought looked more like a Guardian Heroes successor, but yeah... DD successor, you're probably right Smile

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 10. June 2011 08:18

merlin
reelmojo wrote:
Dragon's Crown

Thanks for mentioning this one Reelmojo. As you say it looks very much inspired by the Capcom D&D games. It's highly unlikely that Capcom would make a third D&D side scroller so I'm pretty excited about Dragon's Crown. Although I haven't tried them myself I know Odin Sphere and Muramasa also by the same developer are held in high regard. Hopefully this will get a 360 release too.
Edited by merlin on 13. June 2011 15:22

Jump to Forum: