Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Bullet
Thread ID: 3343
Thread Info
There are 17 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 5565 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
New Dreamcast Handheld!!!
Bullet
http://www.joysti...-in-japan/

Joystiq has picks and links of this new handheld, its crazy expensive, but I love the idea.

Long live the Dreamcast.
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

RiKo
it looks a bit crap and its huge and i bet the screen is crap-quality. i still remember the Tream-cast Smile

the dreamcast is great but i dont see the point of a handheld version. i like to play the games on a big screen. it's still pretty cool that someone made one though...
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
priest
RiKo: Donīt you dare badmouthing the Treamcast, I own two of them (the black model) and the screen is fineSmile
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
Loris Biaggi
I really like handhelds and a dreamcast would be great.
It doesn't seem to work with cd... it does?

I'm waiting for supaboy too
http://hyperkin.c...nsole.html
------------- Neo Mini Box -----------
i65.tinypic.com/11udicm.gif

NeoGeoNinja
RiKo wrote:
it looks a bit crap and its huge...

I'M GLAD YOU...
said this before me! It's sometimes good to know your not the only one thinking such things. Yes, it looks crap BUT it's still a cool concept. SHAME it's so overly expensive VS crap build quality and components. That mock analogue stick alone gives me goosebumps just looking at it, let alone the painfully extruded pad and buttons! Also, what are those 2x buttons either side of the start button all about? I really hope theyre NOT meant to be the triggers??!! Shock

$470... Roll Eyes

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

reelmojo
It looks like crap for a $470 product. For some guy making it in his garage it looks freaking awesome... unfortunately though that's not the case. As much as a portable Dreamcast sounds cool, I'm probably gonna hold out until TecToy makes an officially licensed one. You know it'll happen sooner or later.

Bullet
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
! Also, what are those 2x buttons either side of the start button all about? I really hope theyre NOT meant to be the triggers??!! Shock
Ninja

I'm pretty sure they are for the volume...

Anyway, I'm not saying run out a buy one, but that it is awesome to still see love for the Dreamcast.

With that said tho, if it was half that price, I'd strongly consider it.

reelmojo
Yeah, you never know how good this third party stuff is going to work, so $470 is way too steep. Still, it's probably more stable than my actual Dreamcast. I love it, but I've never had more problems with a console in my life! I literally tried three different copies of Shenmue on it once and only one of them loaded properly. And the one that loaded was a copy I downloaded and burnt to a CD!

RiKo
Mojo - yes the DC GD-ROM drive was a bit delicate to say the least. i did have a copy of Powerstone that managed to break 2 Dreamcasts. it only happened after you beat one of the levels and the drive would go mental. i bought a new copy after that and had no problems.

RiKo: Donīt you dare badmouthing the Treamcast, I own two of them (the black model) and the screen is fineSmile

haha sorry Priest, do you ever actually play on them though? and if so why? lol
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Bullet
Weird, I still have my original japanese launch Dreamcast and have never had a problem with it. It's also from the original batch that had the liquid cooling system, which is pretty sweet.

Man, Priest was cutting faces, he loves the Treamcast. Good on you Sir.

STE C
Aye Ninja has a Jap DC as well and rates them as being more reliable than the European ones.I am sure the Jap DCs have a different cooling system ( liquid from what I recall) this may be a positive factor. I have 3 Pal DCs which are mostly fine but certain games I have to run on different Dcs, I think its the GD Rom disks themselves that are very delicate as I have bought games before that look as clean as new with no scratches yet could not get them to load.

Anyway back to the subject , that handheld is cool ( well the idea is) but I have never been a handheld guy and part of the appeal of the DC is the graphics that look great on a good quality CRT or VGA with a decent size screen. Dont think I would fancy running Ryo Hazuki around Kowloon whilst getting hand cramp and eye strain. Still the morale of the story is that the DC is still loved and still seen as a viable gaming platform which is great for its legacy.

NeoGeoNinja
LIKE STE HAS ALREADY SAID...
it is very strange, but yes, in my personal experience, the JAP DC I own has completely outlived all my PAL DC's, of which copied CDRs are NOT run on either.

I did have CDR's originally, of JAP titles unavailable here in the UK, that I used to run on my original DC. Indeed, when the DC died, I attributed it to the extensive use of Capcom vs SNK 2 continuously! However, I traded that flailing DC in (it still worked... a bit) in towards a BRAND NEW boxed DC and vowed never to play CDR's on it ever again, thus actually buying a separate JAP DC and replacing all my preferred CDR's (Ikaruga, CVS2, MMatrix etc) with actual JAP originals. Thus running my PAL & JAP DC's side by side.

AND, IN ALL THE YEARS...
I have had them both, near equal off the starting line, my JAP DC is still flawless whilst arguably receiving MUCH more gameplay time VS my, again, flailing PAL DC... of which, similar to how STE and RiKo have described it, I own multiple consoles to try and run specific titles! Shrug

Yeah, somethings not right.

SO, ALLUDING BACK...
to one of 'your' (whoever, can't remember!) comments, I also have to bring into question: is it something to do with the GDR's themselves or the DC console's build quality?

Why do I ask this?

Well, rather spookily, just like RiKO, I ALSO have a problematic copy of PowerStone (PAL). My copy used to work just fine, then one day, all of a sudden, it did 'the reset' mid game, and ever since, it just won't load - on any PAL DC - past the SEGA boot screen? WTF is that all about??! However...

LAST YEAR...
I had DC modified, so that it can effortlessly play ANY region of game, just by putting the disc in and hitting power - just like 'normally'. Guess what? My PAL copy of PowerStone runs flawlessly on my JAP machine - from beginning right through to the end!!

So, inadvertently, this causes me a mild concern; are the PAL DC's built really badly, so much so that they stop running certain titles (i.e. over sensitive) whilst others STILL run fine OR do PAL GDR's cause somekind of harsher laser wear for a reason I cannot at all determine logically? Thus, making running PAL GDR's in my JAP DC, in actual fact, a BAD idea, as they too, may in turn kill my JAP DC! Shock

I really cannot make any heads nor tails of it, but there's my strange experiences, laid bear for all to see...

Ninja
(p.s. sorry to go 'off-topic' but there's only around FIVE of us here who care about the DC anyways!)
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 04. June 2011 12:18

rbelmonte171
Ninja
(p.s. sorry to go 'off-topic' but there's only around FIVE of us here who care about the DC anyways!)

let's make that SIX of us, i have 3 DC (one being brand new still in the box never opened).

Loris Biaggi
I have 2 PAL Dreamcasts and never had a problem with original or copied.
But now you make me worried, i will no more play relaxed Shock
------------- Neo Mini Box -----------
i65.tinypic.com/11udicm.gif

reelmojo
For the record, I bought my system in 2000 so it is 11 years old and there was a time when it was pretty much the only system I played. I know disc based systems are a bit more touchy thank cartridge based systems are so I'm not all that surprised. Still I'm pretty careful with my stuff, especially when I look at a friend of mine's consoles. He has a broken PS2 and has had to replace his 360 (not RROD related!).

Ninja, I really hope for your sake that it's just cheaper components used in PAL and US systems causing all of this! It would be a sad day indeed if your JAP DC died. Still, with your broken PAL DC did you ever try taking it apart and cleaning it with rubbing alcohol? I plan on trying that with mine sometime soon. Probably after I get my game room completed.

priest
RiKo wrote:

haha sorry Priest, do you ever actually play on them though? and if so why? lol

RiKo: Yea I play them from time to time. Since my working JAP DC is located in our arcade, I turn to my TREAMCAST for some SEGA blissWink TREAMCAST can be connected to a regular big screen TV too, Ohhhhhh I love my TC!

You should know that Keith Apicary from Talking classics contacted me and was interested in buying one of my TREAMCASTS. I suggested a price which he accepted, but I never heard from him again. Iīm kind of happy that he didnīt contact me again, otherwise I would "only" have one Treamcast leftSmile

Virtual Boy: Not to worry you or anything, but...

I imported a JAP DC before the release in EUROPE and when the DC was released over here I bought another one to be able to play PAL games too.

...All these years later my JAP DC is still running all games and never complaint about it, while my PAL units have the "re-boot" problem. I e the DC reboots after a short time of gameplayThumbs Down I have "repaired" the PAL units according to guides on the web, but after awhile the problem always returns.

Conclusion: Yea the PAL DCs are built on cheaper components and are therefor more liable to breakdown...

...Not to worry you or anything. Your DC:S will probably run fine for a long time...MaybeWink
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
NeoGeoNinja
priest wrote:
I imported a JAP DC before the release in EUROPE and when the DC was released over here I bought another one to be able to play PAL games too.

...All these years later my JAP DC is still running all games and never complaint about it, while my PAL units have the "re-boot" problem. I e the DC reboots after a short time of gameplayThumbs Down I have "repaired" the PAL units according to guides on the web, but after awhile the problem always returns.

Conclusion: Yea the PAL DCs are built on cheaper components and are therefor more liable to breakdown...

...Not to worry you or anything. Your DC:S will probably run fine for a long time...MaybeWink

SO IT ISN'T JUST ME THEN...
the issue with PAL DC's is synonymous throughout eh? Interesting. I also have a friend who also imported his DC before the PAL release (like yourself) and he really didn't look after his console at all. In fact, it looks like shit! However, it still plays all his games flawlessly! Says quite a lot doesn't it?

I've also done the 'pin bending' routine to remedy the reset problem and, as suggested by 'Mojo... yes, I have done the lens cleaning process, using perfume/aftershave actually, as I've found this isopropylene stuff hard to acquire locally. Still, does the trick magnificently though.

And, I forgot to mention; another friend owns a PAL DC and a bought from NEW copy of Alpha 3. One day, the game just flatout refused to boot at all, just constantly making the repeated 'laser reset' noise. Anyway, on his request, I tried it on ALL my DC's and, to my dismay, could not get it to work whatsoever... and the disc is mint as new too! As if GD-R's can somehow die or something?? Shrug

Ninja

Jump to Forum: