Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: merlin
Thread ID: 3334
Thread Info
There are 13 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 14195 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Tennis video games
merlin
I've been playing a lot of video game tennis lately and I was wondering if anyone here enjoys this kind of game too and which ones. I'm starting to think that tennis games are probably my favourite type of sports game, It's a shame we never had one on the Neo Geo.

I used to always love playing Wimbledon on the Master System and Super Tennis on the SNES. I still regard Super Tennis as one of the best tennis games I've played. The gameplay just feels perfect. Wimbledon was very good too and a big improvement over Great Tennis on SMS which feels like you're playing in slow motion.

Two arcade tennis games I really like are Smash Stars by Capcom and Super World Court by Namco. I'd say Smash Stars is probably my favourite tennis game I've played so far. It's very fast paced and fun with an appealing style of graphics and presentation. Reminds me a bit of Super Tennis. The cool thing about Super World Court is that you can actually play doubles with 4 people. I've played lots of doubles matches on Kaillera recently and it really is very enjoyable. The game is a bit slower paced than Smash Stars so there are a lot of exciting long rallies. It's funny as well that in SWC there are some novelty players you can pick like a cat or a robot and also there's a funny court with Pacman ballboys.

I'd be interested to know what tennis games people play here. Anyone got any recommendations for a current gen tennis game or even a PS2 one? I'm tempted to maybe go for one of the Virtua Tennis games.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

Bullet
I really like Virtua Tennis on Dreamcast, Sega Superstar Tennis on 360. I can't say that I was a big fan of tennis games in the 8 and 16 bit era, but I did play Super Tennis etc back then. I don't think I really went out of my way to play sports games til the PS1/Saturn Era then into the Dreamcast/XBOX/PS2/GCN era I got into them a bit more.

Love Smash! series, which was basically tennis DOA style. http://www.youtub...pMKnp9W3OQ

I also played Love Ping Pong on PS2 http://www.youtub...re=related

I also really liked Beach Spikers on the Gamecube.

i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

STE C
Virtua Tennis games are great Merlin, I prefer the original on the DC but 2 is also very good ( im sure at least 1 is available on the PS2. Dont forget 3 on the 360/PS3 as well.

Beach Spikers I agree Bullet is a fun game , actually pretty deep when you get into it, sorry for going off the mark Merlin with a volleyball game.

I never knew about Smash Stars it looks great and defo a game I will check out ( is it available on consoles or Mame)
Edited by STE C on 22. May 2011 22:19

1983parrothead
The only tennis game I remember playing the most is Mario's Tennis for Virtual Boy. I uploaded three songs recorded straight from a Virtual Boy I still have since my father and step-mother bought it for me and my brother without us requesting it. I used Audacity and a Belkin brand stereo audio cable to make it sound exactly like plugging any headset or earbuds into the Virtual Boy. For best results, use whatever the best headphones you got.

Start-up Theme

Double Match Theme 1

Results Screen

I was also thinking about trying out Nintendo's Game Boy Tennis title.

But when I think of tennis, I think of this former pro tennis player.

NeoGeoNinja
VIRTUA TENNIS ON DC...
for me is still, hands down, the best Tennis game ever made. I always had Virtua Tennis 2 (Power Smash series) aswell, but the gameplay was never as tight as the original imo.

OTHER PREFERRED...
tennis games, as far as I'm concerned, make quite a short list. I have always loved Namco Smash Tennis (SNES) the best out of the 2D tennis games available, closely followed by Namco Smash Court (the original) for PSX. These two come HIGHLY recommended from me. Awesome games I'm sure you'd love Wink

Also, like you have already mentioned, I used to have both Wimbledon 1 & 2 for my SMS back in the day, both highly playable games. Well, they were just all-round great tennis games Smile

Never did get on with Super Tennis though... even less when I got Namco Smash Tennis back in the day.

AND, I AGREE...
it's both odd and unfortunate the NEO never received a Tennis title to compliment the other sports titles out there...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

RiKo
I agree with you Ninja on V.tennis on DC. i had the 2nd one too but always preferred the first. it just seemed more immediate and fun. what do people think of the later games in the series? i have never tried those. it;s the best tennis game i have played since Super Tennis - though i havent played very many it has to be said.

Merlin wrote :- I used to always love playing Wimbledon on the Master System and Super Tennis on the SNES. I still regard Super Tennis as one of the best tennis games I've played. The gameplay just feels perfect.

agreed i played this at a friends xmas party once with a load of other people and it seemed like an amazing game. i always wanted it on my snes but i couldnt afford it at the time. (i only managed to buy 7 games for my SNES at the time, the games were so expensive)

i love how they randomly have a cat in super world court tennis lol

i always remember playstation magazines going on about Anna Kournikova's tennis on PS1, so might be worth checking out. i just looked up video and it seems to be a version of the Namco Smash Court tennis Ninja was talking about, only with an Anna Kournikova theme?

YouTube Video

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
NeoGeoNinja
RiKo wrote:
I always remember playstation magazines going on about Anna Kournikova's tennis on PS1, so might be worth checking out. i just looked up video and it seems to be a version of the Namco Smash Court tennis Ninja was talking about, only with an Anna Kournikova theme?

FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES...
Smash Court with Anna Kournikova IS the sequel to the game I was talking about, but I DELIBERATELY ignored mentioning it, as I ignored the game too upon release. A bit of a pet hate, but I hate individually endorsed gaming titles (Tiger Woods golf? Make it PGA Tour again and I might take a look). Messed up, I know, but I really hate it - even if the game is great! It's worse if I can't be doing with the sports personality too, I mean, Anna Kournikova? Come on, please. The ONLY talent she ever had was in her sports bra... it certainly wasn't on the court! I just can't take it seriously.

Maybe Colin McCrae Rally 1 was the only endorsed title I have ever owned...

Ninja

merlin
Good to see there are plenty of tennis fans here. Thanks for the replies and recommendations.

Quite a few games mentioned I've never played before. Seems like quite a few of you hold the first Virtua Tennis game in high regard. I only ever played it on the Demul emulator which unfortunately runs the game far too slowly. Seems very good though.

Bullet I had to laugh at that PS2 ping pong game featuring women in bikinis. That's quite bizarre.

STE if you download the rom for Capcom Sports Club it includes Smash Stars. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Seems like Namco have made quite a few tennis games. I've never played those Smash Tennis games on SNES and PS1. Both look good. It's pretty cool that you can play doubles with 4 players too.

I'm thinking of either going for Virtua Tennis 4 or Top Spin 4 for 360. I've read that quite a few people consider Top Spin 4 to be the best. It does look impressive.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

Edited by merlin on 25. May 2011 14:24

reelmojo
I have fell out of the loop when it comes to tennis games in a big way. I've never played a single game you guys have mentioned, even though I do like tennis. I play in real life occasionally, and I have a friend who competed in college so I have no clue how I missed the entire Virtua Tennis series.

Going classic (as I tend to do sometimes) I have to recommend RealSports Tennis for Atari 2600. I used to play "Tennis" (that's the entire title) for 2600 all the time, but when I finally tried RealSports Tennis it was such a huge improvement that I can't go back. Good for some quick multiplayer fun.

Also good for some multiplayer fun is, of course, Wii Sports. Not exactly a full tennis sim per se, but it's a hell of a lot of fun with a few friends.

NeoGeoNinja
merlin wrote:
I'm thinking of either going for Virtua Tennis 4 or Top Spin 4 for 360. I've read that quite a few people consider Top Spin 4 to be the best. It does look impressive...

I'VE AT LEAST PLAYED...
all of the Virtua Tennis titles released on home consoles. VTennis 1, then 2 were great. However, I was REALLY disappointed with VT3. Probably because I had such high hopes for it. It just didn't have the same great playability of the originals. It just didn't handle as well and wasn't as immediate or responsive. It wasn't bad per sť, just not amazing. And the V tennis games were renowned for just that: being amazing!

SO ALONG CAME...
Virtua Tennis 4 recently. Once again, I had higher than high hopes that it would be better, or at least different from it's immediate predecessor. So, I downloaded the demo. After messing around with the cooler than cool customisation options, it was time to get down to the nitty gritty. However, once again, I was let-down by my expectations. It was as far as I could see and feel, just more of the same (as VT3).

And, watching those two video's (you posted Merlin) kinda put something into perspective. The way in which the players move around the court. It was very apparent in the VT4 vid that it appears to take the same time it takes far too long to traverse from one side of the court to the other. A real effort, making it all a bit of a chore.

In short though, out of the two videos I just watched, the initial pretender to the tennis throne: Top Spin... looks to be the better of the two games now. I'd deffo pick Top Spin 4 > VTennis 4 myself...

Ninja

merlin
Thanks for your advice Ninja. From what I've read it seems that a majority of people find Top Spin 4 more enjoyable to play. I'll probably buy it fairly soon. It's amazing how realistic tennis
games look these days.

One other game I wanted to mention that I enjoy is the arcade game Ultimate Tennis which is by Belgian developer Art & Magic. It might not look amazing but it's surprisingly fun. Playing on the far side of the net is a bit tricky to get used to at first though.

YouTube Video

Edited by merlin on 25. May 2011 14:24

NeoGeoNinja
merlin wrote:
One other game I wanted to mention that I enjoy is the arcade game Ultimate Tennis which is by Belgian developer Art & Magic. It might not look amazing but it's surprisingly fun. Playing on the far side of the net is a bit tricky to get used to at first though...

HAHA, AMAZING...
looks like a proper '3DO' game if ever I saw one! Love it Grin

Ninja

Loris Biaggi
1983parrothead wrote:
The only tennis game I remember playing the most is Mario's Tennis for Virtual Boy.

I want to say a provocation... Mario's Tennis is the ONLY real tennis videogame, because tennis is a game based on our natural stereoscopic view, you have to see all the 3d movement of the ball inside the environment to strike it.
Mario's Tennis has exactly this feeling, no one can understand unless you play it (or play tennis on real life).
I hope 3DS will show us next "real" tennis.
------------- Neo Mini Box -----------
i65.tinypic.com/11udicm.gif

Jump to Forum: