Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: NeoGeoNinja
Thread ID: 3325
Thread Info
There are 17 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 4391 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
WHICH... are you most familar with?
The Euro/US moves list The Euro/US moves list 23%[3 Votes]
The Jap moves list The Jap moves list 46%[6 Votes]
I had NO idea about any of this!!! I had NO idea about any of this!!! 31%[4 Votes]
Total Votes : 13
 Print Thread
FATAL FURY - Did you know?...
NeoGeoNinja
OK, SO MOST OF...
the long-timers here will have heard me talk about Fatal Fury 1 whilst putting the MegaDrive/Genesis version up as my preferred version. However, that may be set to change over time, and here's why.

Basically, when engaging on FF1 (usually via my PAL FFBArchives) I have always had a real hard time playing the game, ESPECIALLY when it comes to successfully executing moves for the characters. I don't know what it is, but I just can't do, what I would call relatively simple commands. But hold the f*ckin' phone... what is this???

rq87.flyingomelette.com/RQ/region/FF/2.png
rq87.flyingomelette.com/RQ/region/FF/3.png
rq87.flyingomelette.com/RQ/region/FF/4.png
rq87.flyingomelette.com/RQ/region/FF/5.png
rq87.flyingomelette.com/RQ/region/FF/6.png

WHAT DO YOU WANT...
me to say? Well, I'll tell you the absolute truth: I had NO f*ckin' idea about this bullsh*t! Wow, there's me using Joe in PAL FF1 (my main for this game), trying my hardest to do all the moves, and guess what, they were all (mostly) changed for 'us', the more 'SF' exposed. I can't believe I never knew about this. Hell, even Joe's Slash Kick is a QCB too as opposed to DB-UT! Guess they didn't change his rapid 'TNT' punch to the kick button just for 'lols' then, eh?

I'm still in shock Shock

SUSPICIONS...
were aroused while I was getting by on the odd successive Tiger Kick or Hurricane Upper. Anyway, I reached the successive 'Bonus Stage' screen, the one which gives info regarding special move execution. I don't usually bother with these stages (can't be arsed tap tap tapping!) but for some reason, I did today and I'm assuming the special move info is your 'reward'? Well, I wish I'd frickin' bothered completing these in the past as I would have played my FF1 a lot MORE! It was due to these 'revelations' that I was COMPLETELY weirded out by the Tiger Kick being displayed as a Slash Kick command. I tried to think nothing of it, assuming it was an 'Engrish' translation error... but down the line I STILL couldn't get my 'usual' Slash Kick on. Suspicions were raised even FURTHER when I completed another bonus stage to be confronted with a rather stunted QCF command screen for the Hurricane Upper. I tried it EXACTLY as show, and it worked perfectly!!!

So, now out of curiosity I tried differing commands for the Slash Kick and found to my absolute disbelief that QCB+K is the 'Westernised' command for it! WTF??

I FIGURE...
that this is no doubt VERY old news to most, but all these years, and with FF1 being 'locked' solely to the NEOGEO (which I never owned until last year), MD & SNES, I was always down with the PAL MD & SNES' commands for DECADES only to find they seemed overly difficult to perform on my (recent) anthology's FF1. I simply put this down to complaints about the games controls and have always since stuck by the MD version. However, this was seemingly NEVER the case, and I never had any idea or indeed reason to believe the commands would have been 'simplified'. I just can't believe it! Shrug

Hopefully this means, with this understanding that I can NOW finally get more out of my FF experiences, perhaps leaving the MD version behind eventually. Man... I could NEVER have guessed.

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 19. May 2011 16:04
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

boogiepop
I never knew the commands were changed for the ports. It's like one of us was colorblind but didn't know it - we could have had a discussion about color but not realized the radical differences in perspective.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

cthulhu
Whahahahahaha...didn't know about this...this is soo extremely stupid (almost as stupid as changing names in Fighting games for different regions...yes, I'm talking about Capcom). I prefer the Japanese commands as they're more intuitive.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

STE C
i voted Jap move list as this is always the way I remember it and I am sure my MVS version ( although not Jap cart) has the moves the original way. haha hows about that Ninja you are never to old to learn.

merlin
I had completely forgotten about this despite having played the excellent Mega Drive port quite a bit. It's weird how they decided to change the moves. I heard they also did that with the PSX port of Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer.

It always surprised me a bit that you seemed to prefer the Mega Drive version over the Neo Geo original Ninja but now it makes sense. It's good that you'll be able to get more enjoyment from the Neo Geo version now.

One thing that is nice in the Mega Drive version is being able to select any of the characters
in versus mode.

Murikov
I actually already knew about that weird region "fix", I'm wondering what SNK were thinking in 1991. Maybe that Western Arcade Kids weren't smart enough to perform "complex" Half circle moves or that we all are Guile-only players...

After all I'm up for the original JAP move setting, as that's the way Fatal Fury's supposed to be played. Furthermore most of these basic moves are the same in all sequels and KoF's.
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

NeoGeoNinja
merlin wrote:
It always surprised me a bit that you seemed to prefer the Mega Drive version over the Neo Geo original Ninja but now it makes sense. It's good that you'll be able to get more enjoyment from the Neo Geo version now.

One thing that is nice in the Mega Drive version is being able to select any of the characters
in versus mode.

IT'S NICE TO READ...
that you too think the MD port is decent. I think it is. I think it probably plays better than the NG version really, but visually, it's a bit rough - especially when clarified via RGB. Also, the music and SFX in the MD version are awesome too. Very dramatic! EDIT: Forgot to mention, having being brought up on the MD version, I now find it incredibly odd having to fight Billy Kane ("Kahn"Wink prior to Geese on the original. I think I prefer it without him in, as it flows better without him imo (i.e. fight Raiden, win the tournament THEN have to fight Geese after winning).

Yeah, I reckon this epiphany will eventually lead to greater enjoyment of FF1. Heh, just to think eh? I still can't believe it! You know what they say: "RTFM"

How true...

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 20. May 2011 23:52

NEO-GEO man
I had the Mega Drive port by Takara, and i thought it was great til i could compare them side by side, once i got the NEO-GEO version i couldnt believe just how much better and smoother it was to play. Wha Jai and Billy Goat are cut out of the MD version too!!

I knew about the moves being different though, i read this in a gaming mag way way back when FF2 hit the AES, they were saying the moves commands from the US/Euro Fatal Fury had been dropped in favour of the Japan version moves commands.

Also, if youve got this on CD, you can flick the switch ( if you install it Wink ) and play using either moves commands Smile

RiKo
I was going to say they should have put an option to switch to the original move-set. must have been very confusing for arcade players at the time. maybe FF wasnt very popular in the arcades in the West? and they though no one would notice.

i do remember playing Mortal Kombat on a friends SNES and being weirded out by the strange joystick moves you had to do. i was used to the fluid street fighter joystick/control pad rotations and it seemed odd some of tapping moves you had to do. i got used to it pretty quick though so i dont see why they couldnt have kept the jap moves.

im not sure if i even have FF1 on Neo Geo, but i voted for the Jap move list anyway. i have FF2, 3, Special and the Real Bout games.
Edited by RiKo on 21. May 2011 13:53
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
NEO-GEO man
The MVS and AES versions both have the same moves to region changes, the Japan region of the arcade is still the same as FF2.

The intro on the MVS and AES versions are abit different though:
http://www.youtub...zxWM8TJIKU
This one is Japan version, but its the "produced by SNK" bit im talking about
http://www.youtub...3sq-McNf2s

neogeoeno
fatal fury on the neo-geo is much much superior to the other version in every department music-colors-gameplay. the snes version is stand the second beside the removing of the 2 ground in the screen everything is faithful great music same animation. but the genesis version is missing many thing. keep in your mind this is the only fighting game available on gene back in 1993. street fighter 2 is in sfc exclusive and you have to sold your car if you want to own neo-geo with its awesome fighting gamesShrug

NeoGeoNinja
neogeoeno wrote:
fatal fury on the neo-geo is much much superior to the other version in every department music-colors-gameplay. the snes version is stand the second beside the removing of the 2 ground in the screen everything is faithful great music same animation. but the genesis version is missing many thing. keep in your mind this is the only fighting game available on gene back in 1993. street fighter 2 is in sfc exclusive and you have to sold your car if you want to own neo-geo with its awesome fighting gamesShrug

THERE'S NO DOUBTING...
that overall, yes, Fatal Fury on the NEOGEO, rather obviously, is the definitive version.

However, there ARE things I prefer about the MD version > AES/MVS version. I prefer the music and SFX on the MD version. I think they're grittier, and I prefer them. I also think the MD version actually plays a bit better too. I said a BIT. Also, Geese isn't so much of a f*ckin' tool in the MD version either... plus he looks a bit better too.

I like the fact that Billy ISN'T in the MD release, as after seeing him for the first time in FF only in the last few years, I can say that the MD version wasn't really missing him. Raiden is a MUCH cooler sub-boss for FF.

The inclusion of a dedicated VS mode where by the CPU opponents can be selected for use is also an argument towards it's importance as a great version of FF.

EDIT: forgot to mention, I also like how the MD version attempts to compensate for the lack of the HwaJai fight (Joe Higashi clone!) and Billy Kane fight (meh) by 'adding' 2 in game challenges from the other player characters. A nice touch I think?

Graphics... this is the ONLY area where the NEO wins by knockout, as the MD's GFX, whilst faithfull and colourful, are no match for the mighty NEO!

AS FOR THE SNES VERSION...
this by far at the bottom of the pile I'm afraid. Sure, the GFX are pretty decent, but that factor cannot win alone. The gameplay is horrible, the music is painful and the game also lacks FF's integral 'plane switching' too, which is an odd omission imo. Honestly, owning ALL 3 of these versions, I can honestly say that the SNES version is 'meh' at best...

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 22. May 2011 14:28

NEO-GEO man
SNES versions of alot of these sort of ports are pretty piss poor at best. Look at Mortal Kombat... SNES version looks almost like the arcade, but it plays like shit. Total shit. Mega Drive version looks ok, but plays very well.

SNES versions of Fatal Fury and Art Of Fighting were total crap to play.

Ill go for gameplay over better graphics any day thanks.

LIFE_IN_2D
Stop making excuses for sucking at FF, Ninja.

"wahhhh wahhh wahhh, the moves are changed... wah wah wah!!"

Learn the moves and quit your complaining.

Pfft
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

AngelaAsakura
Wow, interesting. I didn't know that there were different commands. Then again, I haven't played the MD version much and have never even TOUCHED the SNES version. I need to get around to trying it. Shock
Edited by AngelaAsakura on 22. May 2011 19:35
farm6.staticflickr.com/5160/7182649455_b7024d0591.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/AngelaAsakura/
NeoGeoNinja
NEO-GEO man wrote:
SNES versions of alot of these sort of ports are pretty piss poor at best. Look at Mortal Kombat... SNES version looks almost like the arcade, but it plays like shit. Total shit. Mega Drive version looks ok, but plays very well.

SNES versions of Fatal Fury and Art Of Fighting were total crap to play.

Ill go for gameplay over better graphics any day thanks.

I RESPONDED TO...
NeoGeoEno's comment putting forth SNES FF > MD FF, as it really doesn't stack up. I don't at all want this to get into a MD vs SNES port discussion... however, I'm JUST taking into account the games mentioned. NO further!

SNES FF, as you have quite rightly said, played like total crap. Art of Fighting however, did not. Especially when you reference it back to it's very own source material. If anything, graphical differences aside, I think there's good argument for SNES AOF playing incrementally better than the NEO original - although I'm more inclined realistically to go with parity myself. Not intentionally mentioning that the SNES version had a better OST than the AES/MVS release too. Painfully kick arse music to be had in the SNES release. So, brings to the MD version. Yes, you guessed it. The MD version is the one to play like total crap out of these two. It's really nowhere near as good as the SNES, let alone the NEOGEO. I do like the implementation of a proper 6-button set-up for the MD (nice!) but it doesn't change the gameplay.

AND THE HOLY GRAIL...
of retro arguments: MK on SNES vs MD. It can never be agreed upon by anyone really. I, no doubt like yourself, have both releases. I constantly, even today, still hear crticisms of SNES MK's controls. I have NO idea what they're on about. Regardless of a change in combo's from the Arcade release, the game plays much better and smoother than the MD version. Blood. That's it. That's ALL the MD version has > SNES. And eventually, that blood runs thin quickly when you've been subjected to jerky, lacking and drastically cut animation, horrible graphics and lag riddled gameplay. Blood and the cooler arcade style title screen are all this version has going for it. I'm NOT saying the SNES version is perfect. I'm just saying it plays much better than the MD release, which happens to play... like total crap Pfft

Ninja

NEO-GEO man
You must be playing 60Hz versions of those 2 games on SNES, cause the ones ive played on 50Hz Australian machines are junk.

Jump to Forum: