Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: reelmojo
Thread ID: 3321
Thread Info
There are 23 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 6838 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
32-bit era racing games
reelmojo
This era of racing games is special to me. I have stated many times before that I like my racers not so realistic with an arcade feel. In the time between the shift from sprites to polygons and the release of Gran Turismo a lot of companies made what they claimed to be sim racers, but they still had that great pick up and play feeling that Gran Turismo and it's imitators lack. I don't want to pass a license test, I don't want to drive around an open city looking for a race, I just want to race! So this is a thread for some of the better, possibly overlooked racers from the 32-bit era... and yes I'm calling it the 32-bit era but I see no problem including the N64. I'm gonna avoid some of the obvious choices to talk about some of my personal favorites...

Grand Tour Racing '98
This was the pinnacle of realistic racers until Gran Turismo redefined the term a few months later. Multiple car classes, 36 memorable tracks in exotic locations, a kick-ass soundtrack, and a bunch of secrets make this one of my favorite PS1 games to this day, regardless of genre. In Europe it was released as Total Drivin and for some reason they changed the name again to M6 Turbo Racing for France. There wasn't technically a sequel, but two years later they made C3 Racing (Max Power Racing in Europe) which looks very similar. I haven't played that one though so I can't vouch for it.

YouTube Video

Jet Moto
Sony's forgotten child. I spent hours on this game. Crazy high flying jumps and turns so impossible that the bikes are equipped with grapple beams litter some of the most imaginative tracks I've ever seen in a racing game. This game introduced me to track with turnarounds, forcing the racers to take a u-turn and drive back into oncoming traffic. That feature was so innovative that to this day when I encounter a track like that I call it "Jet Moto style." Once again, the name was different in Europe where it was called Jet Rider. I'm glad this name changing stuff doesn't happen as often anymore. The first sequel was great as well, but a higher difficulty and a different turbo functionality make it not quite as good in my book. Somehow, I never did play the third and final game in the series which for unexplained reasons was only released in the US. One more interesting thing about these games, I remember reading that the concept was that Jet Moto took place in the same world as Twisted Metal, which explains all of the broken highways in the tracks.

YouTube Video

Destruction Derby 2
I only had a demo of the original so I can't comment on it, but DD2 kept me entertained for hours. Surprisingly for a game built around crashing the straight up racing mode was extremely fun. You could also do demolition derbies or what was called Wrecking Racing where points are awarded during the race when you wreck your opponents in spectacular ways. Playing this game now it's easy to see where the developers of Flatout found their inspiration.

YouTube Video

I only talked about PS1 games because the racing games I play on Saturn and N64 are all very well known. SFRush, Sega Rally, Daytona...

NeoGeoNinja
reelmojo wrote:
they made C3 Racing (Max Power Racing in Europe) which looks very similar...

I'LL RETURN...
to this thread when I have time mid week, but just to say, I've owned BOTH Total Drivin' and C3 Racing (although Max Power was the UK release I managed to get a hold of C3 prior to MPR's release!). I never ever liked Total Drivin' myself (sorry 'Mojo :-( ), however, I can happily reccommend C3, as it's a great game! I was really quite obsessed with it when I first got it - it has (had!) great gfx and nice gameply to match. I'd definitely suggest picking it up on the cheap if you get the opportunity (did it get a US release?).

Also, I'd have expected you to have been all over Burning Road for PS1! That game just has 'Mojo' written all over it! Grin

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

reelmojo
I'll keep Burning Road in mind, Ninja. I plan on picking up C3 if I find it somewhere. For some reason an Ebay search turned up nothing, although another site listed it for $10 so that's not too bad.

EDIT: I just bought WipeOut 3 and Jet Moto 3 today! I loved the prequels but somehow missed out on the third entry in both series. From what I've read when Singletrac split with Sony and 989 studios took over their franchises Jet Moto 3 actually turned out to be a great game unlike what they did to Twisted Metal 3 and 4. Also, on my way home I put the WipeOut 3 disc into my CD player and listened to the Redbook Audio soundtrack. I miss those days!
Edited by reelmojo on 15. May 2011 22:59

RiKo
nice thread mojo. i really love the original Gran Turismo on PS1, it seemed amazing that such a game could come out at the time. but i know what you mean it is quite a deep game.

well i dont know any obscure ones really, but i loved Rage Racer, Driver 1 (if that counts), and Road Rash 3D. Road Rash 3D was a particular favourite esp the way you can drive quite far off the track and cause some quite spectatcular crashes.

another racer i got on PS1 was N-Gen racing which was the followup game by the Wipeout 2017 team. i still havent worked out if its any good but its pretty cool racing jets. its probably slightly more-sim than you are looking for though.

YouTube Video

and surely the best ever is Rollcage. i love that game so much. it did get a sequel but its a criminal shame no one bought up the franchise (ATD - the developer is no more) and made a new game. Firebugs is a kid friendly version of Rollcage starring the Bomfunk MCS Smile

YouTube Video

Edited by RiKo on 16. May 2011 20:45
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
NeoGeoNinja
reelmojo wrote:
I'll keep Burning Road in mind, Ninja. I plan on picking up C3 if I find it somewhere. For some reason an Ebay search turned up nothing, although another site listed it for $10 so that's not too bad.

EDIT: I just bought WipeOut 3 and Jet Moto 3 today! I loved the prequels but somehow missed out on the third entry in both series. From what I've read when Singletrac split with Sony and 989 studios took over their franchises Jet Moto 3 actually turned out to be a great game unlike what they did to Twisted Metal 3 and 4. Also, on my way home I put the WipeOut 3 disc into my CD player and listened to the Redbook Audio soundtrack. I miss those days!

BURNING ROAD...
was a pretty cool first gen racer for PS1 back in the day, although, due to the existence of such arcade thoroughbreds at the time (Daytona for SAT & RRacer for PSX) Burning Road was kinda cruelly dismissed and overlooked. It definitely has a 'Midway' thing going on with it too imo Wink

WIP3OUT IS...
a truly exceptional game and is T H E best Wipeout title to date imo (especially Wip3out SE) just... JUST pipping Wipeout 2097 to the post (my favourite in the series!). As is with the Ridge Racer series, the best Wipeout games are STILL to be had on the PS1. the 4x RRacers and 4x WOuts are the ONLY racing games I still have for PS1, as they are all still exceptional games imo.

WOutHDFury & RR6&7 are obviously still very shiny and fantastic in their own right, but they just don't 'have' what it is the originals have. I don't know whether it's style, soul or substance that's lacking. All I know is that the originals, in their own rights, have ALL 3 Smile

RiKo wrote:
and surely the best ever is Rollcage. i love that game so much. it did get a sequel but its a criminal shame no one bought up the franchise...

I USED TO HAVE...
RollCage 1 & 2. They were pretty good but they never really grabbed me if I were honest, although, the 'topsy turvy' element was pretty cool. It had quite a nicely realised grit to the series too.

A similar game (in style) I used to rather like, but never owned for PS1 (a friend had it!) was MotorHead. Did you ever play that RiKo? You would have LOVED it as it's main selling point was it's solid, high-speed 60fps! And it was too!! A very nice game to behold, I have to admit...

Ninja

Bullet
I remember Burning Road it was like if Daytona had a drunken bastard step brother. He wasn't quite as good as Daytona, but was still fun to be around.
I also liked the Speed Racer game by Jaleco on PS1 it had a very Ridge Racer look and feel, but with short cuts and gadgets. I should also mention Ray tracers for Ps1. It was basically Chase HQ and I suggest fans of it check out Ray Tracers.

I could go on an on lol

Yeah, the racing genre is still one of my favorites and played pretty much all those games listed above. I'm a big rally fan as well, so I played a ton of those as well on PS1.
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

NeoGeoNinja
Bullet wrote:
I should also mention Ray tracers for Ps1. It was basically Chase HQ and I suggest fans of it check out Ray Tracers...

I STILL HAVE...
RayTracers too. I got it way back when it came out. It was VERY cool at the time, but a little short. The duel at the end with the 6 wheeled car was always awesome though. I remember, the extra guy/car 'Tsumujikaze' was great too! Can't remember if I ever got the White or Black 'Vestel' though? I think... not Hmm

It sits proudly amongst my other 'Ray' titles: RayStorm and RayCrisis Grin

EDIT: Also, just remembered (random!) I used to adore the Anime style intro and the catchy music too! Good times...

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 17. May 2011 18:42

STE C
Wow Motorhead that's a blast from the past and a game which I adored at the time. Well worth picking up if just for the brilliant graphics as Ninja rightly pointed out.

RRT4 was another PS1 game I loved, I agree the 32 bit era really had some great racers.

Wonderboy
The racing genre wasn't worthwhile, IMO, until it made the leap to 3-D. Although some retro gamers will profess certain Sega and Namco titles (like Out Run and Pole Position) are good games, the only good racing games I can think of are 3-D.

Daytona USA (Saturn) didn't live up to its arcade port, but was better than nothing. I always liked the PSX Tokyo Highway Battle by Jaleco; it had/has a unique approach. Die Hard Trilogy featured a damn good, unorthodox racing game: Die Hard with a Vengeance. Sometimes the player would race other cars (a la Chase H.Q. by Taito), other times the player would have to just gun it to a certain spot in the city before the bomb blew up. These concepts are cool by themselves, but the mechanics have to be there too; Die Hard with a Vengeance, fortunately, has solid mechanics that outbeat other traditional PSX racing games even, and therefore is a special game. Lastly, I will mention Chocobo Racing by Squaresoft. Yes, it is sickeningly cute, but the game has some solid mechanics (although they could be better), and is pretty darn addictive. That's all I can think of for now!
Edited by Wonderboy on 17. May 2011 21:39

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
NeoGeoNinja
1st Super Tobalman wrote:
The racing genre wasn't worthwhile, IMO, until it made the leap to 3-D. Although some retro gamers will profess certain Sega and Namco titles (like Out Run and Pole Position) are good games, the only good racing games I can think of are 3-D...

AGREED...
although I DO have a soft spot for certain '2D' racers for 16-bit home consoles including FZero, Top Gear 1, 2 & 3(000), Lotus Turbo Challenge 1, 2 & 3 (Amiga) etc.

For me? The MOST overrated racing game ever is the original Outrun. I STILL don't get it?! Hmm

Ninja

RiKo
Ninja wrote :- A similar game (in style) I used to rather like, but never owned for PS1 (a friend had it!) was MotorHead. Did you ever play that RiKo? You would have LOVED it as it's main selling point was it's solid, high-speed 60fps! And it was too!! A very nice game to behold, I have to admit...

thanks Ninja, i just looked it up on Youtube and it looks pretty cool. i might have pick up a copy on Ebay Smile

i agree with you about F-Zero, thats one of the best '2d' racers ever. not outrun though - i love Outrun. i think the secret to it, is its not really a racing game - the traffic comes in certain set formations which you have to steer through and negotiate so really its a bit like a timed- platform game in 3D in some ways. once you notice that i think it makes you think about it dfiferently. Sega are very clever in their games. also the graphics and music were amazing at the time in 1986. it looked like something from the future! Outrun 2/HD is better though.
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
reelmojo
Ninja, unfortunately WipeOut 3SE was never released in the US so I'll just have to settle for 3.

Some great suggestions in this thread. I'm definitely going to llok for RayTracers and Roll Cage. I also feel like I should actually own some Ridge Racer games, so I'll probably pick those up if I ever run into them in a game store.

It's worth noting here that Sega Rally Online Arcade just came out last week on XBLA. It feels just like the Sega Rally I remember with a shiny coat of paint and online play. The game over screen even has the classic "GAME OVER YEAH!" jingle! Awesome!

I just tried out few games that require mentioning here. First off a game that's not going to win any awards, but is still fun:

Multi Racing Championship (N64)
YouTube Video

Not ground breaking or anything, but if I had an N64 back in the day instead of a PS1 or Saturn I would have probably loved it.

Beetle Adventure Racing (N64)
YouTube Video

Don't dismiss it just because the only cars are silly looking Volkswagon Beetles, it's actually a very good arcade style racer. To me, this was EA's attempt at making their own San Francisco Rush. It has Rush style physics and shortcuts and the graphics even look pretty similar. The draw distance is impressively far away for an N64 game. In Australia the Beetles were replaced with Holden Special Vehicles and the game was retitled HSV Adventure Racing. So if you don't like Beetles at least there's an alternative! Also, the AU version has the announcer amusingly switched with a guy with an Australian accent. He even says "G'day" when you start up the game!

YouTube Video

Edited by reelmojo on 24. May 2011 06:03

NeoGeoNinja
32-BIT ERA, EH?...
I must admit, I was surprised when you dropped the '64' bombshell, but yeah... 32-bit 'era' JUST about cuts it... granted. However, you've just gone and opened a separate can of worms, for me at least!

The 64 has some awesome racing games! The two of which you mentioned here are games already close to my heart. Also, as you mentioned, the Rush titles are also VERY high on my list of great racers from that era. I cannot fail to mention: Extreme G, Top Gear Rally, Wave Race, FZero and WipeOut 64 too...

AS FOR HOLDEN SV ADVENTURE RACING?...
Kinda cool, but unfortunate if the Aussies perhaps takin' ye old Beetle for a spin! Now, if it was Holden Monaro Adventure Racing, that would be a different matter entirely Wink

Ninja

1983parrothead
When I think of 32-bit and racing games, the first to pop up in my mind is Virtua Racing Deluxe for the Sega 32X. I used to have it, but it didn't last, because all my Sega MD/GEN stuff (including the 32X) were kept by someone I used to live with along with my mother before I moved to my father.

YouTube Video

And does DSI's Moto Racer count? I used to have this, too, but my brother bought it, because he was interested in dirt bikes more than crotch rockets (or as most people call them, superbikes).

YouTube Video

NeoGeoNinja
1983parrothead wrote:
And does DSI's Moto Racer count? I used to have this, too, but my brother bought it, because he was interested in dirt bikes more than crotch rockets (or as most people call them, superbikes)...

YEAH...
MotoRacer 1 or even 2 count, as they were both PS1 titles. I used to own them back in the day. They were great games too! Good shout Thumbs Up

Ninja

reelmojo
I wondered who would be first to mention a game from the era on a console other than the big three, and Virtua Racing Deluxe on 32X is a fine choice, parrothead.

And I forgot about Motoracer! That game was badass! I love the risk vs. reward feeling of popping a wheelie to gain extra speed. I had a friend who was a dirt bike racer in high school and he was all over any game with dirt bikes in them at the time, so I was happy when Motoracer came out because there was finally a good one!

Ninja, I figured you'd be a fan of Extreme G. I remember playing it at my cousin's house and thinking while it wasn't WipeOut, it was still pretty fun. And yeah, I included the word "era" in the title just so systems that weren't 32-bit could be included. N64 is obvious, but the Jaguar might have had a good racer that I don't know about too. Might as well include arcade only games as well.

Also, what about the 3DO? I know about Need for Speed and Road Rash, but surely they weren't alone.

Another noteworthy racer from late in the era:

Sled Storm (PS1)
YouTube Video

Very solid physics mix with an excellent soundtrack and great track designs with multiple shortcuts to create a very memorable experience. I've heard mixed things about the PS2 sequel, but it must not have sold too well because EA abandoned the series after that. Maybe when they're done with the new SSX game they'll revive this series as well.

1983parrothead
reelmojo wrote:
I wondered who would be first to mention a game from the era on a console other than the big three, and Virtua Racing Deluxe on 32X is a fine choice, parrothead.

And I forgot about Motoracer! That game was badass! I love the risk vs. reward feeling of popping a wheelie to gain extra speed. I had a friend who was a dirt bike racer in high school and he was all over any game with dirt bikes in them at the time, so I was happy when Motoracer came out because there was finally a good one!

The Sega Saturn version of Virtua Racing is also 32-bit, and I also used to own a copy of it, but sold it with the rest of my Sega Saturn stuff with three other games: Virtua Fighter, Daytona USA and Sega Rally Championship.

Although several people consider the Sega Saturn version of Virtua Racing to be awful because it's developed by Time Warner Interactive (full of Atari staff) instead of Sega-AM2, I used to have it and its music is like dynamite: small, but VERY EXPLOSIVE (especially if you use bass-boosted earbuds, which is what I used).

Read my comments with links to specific parts of the videos.

Virtua Racing (Sega Saturn) music PART 1

Virtua Racing (Sega Saturn) music PART 2

Here is a preview video from "Sega Saturn Choice Cuts", which I used to have it, but my brother tore it up and trashed it on purpose, because it's only full of previews.

Choice Cuts preview (see also how awful, creepy and/or silly the Choice Cuts intro is)

And reelmojo, read my reply to NeoGeoNinja below:

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
1983parrothead wrote:
And does DSI's Moto Racer count? I used to have this, too, but my brother bought it, because he was interested in dirt bikes more than crotch rockets (or as most people call them, superbikes)...

YEAH...
MotoRacer 1 or even 2 count, as they were both PS1 titles. I used to own them back in the day. They were great games too! Good shout Thumbs Up

Ninja

Not just PS1 games, but also PC games. The last MotoRacer known as "MotoRacer Advance" even counts as a 32-bit racing game, due to the 32-bit GBA. But I never have played or owned a copy of one:

YouTube Video

The graphics of this kind of remind me of another motorcycle racing game I used to have that was also another 32X game, Motocross Championship:

YouTube Video

Edited by 1983parrothead on 25. May 2011 20:46

reelmojo
It took forever to find this thread to revive it... I hadn't realized this discussion was over a year old!

Anyway, I just accidentally learned about a series of Japan only PS1 racers by a company called Prism Arts. It's all pretty enigmatic as it's almost impossible to find info on either the company or the games online. The games in question are Circuit Beat (1996), Rally de Africa (1999), and Rally de Europe (2000). Circuit Beat looks decidedly first gen so I can understand western publishers passing on it. After that though Prism Arts looks to have went back to the drawing board and took three years to create Rally de Africa. Both it and it's sequel seemingly became victims of Gran Turismo as they seem to have that arcade/realism mix that was suddenly not en vogue after GT came out. They look awesome though, so I'll report back once I get my PC set up correctly so I can try them out.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

Edited by reelmojo on 29. May 2012 05:41

sukotsuto
I'm not really a big racing game fan, but I did enjoy a few games during the 32 bit era. My favorite racing game at the time was Ridge Racer Type IV, only because it's the only one I'm good at Pfft Second goes to Crash Team Racing, which I kinda prefer over Mario Kart games at the time, since I liked Crash Bandicoot more than mario as a kid.

I mostly played demos though, as I've never gotten too many full games during that era. With that said, I played the Sled Storm and Destruction Derby 2 a lot, and sometimes, a bit of Gran Turismo (full game) in my cousin's place.

http://www.abyssalchronicles.com
NEO-GEO man
Are we counting arcade games as well? Daytona and Sega Rally Championship are without question 2 of the best racing games EVER made in the 32 bit era.

If we have to go consoles only, GT2 on the PS1 was right up there for sure, but i think it really all started with The Need For Speed on the 3DO. The best version of the game by far, as all the following ports began to step away from the original intention of the game, which was take a REAL car that was not totally out of reach of the average driver and drive it on a REAL stretch of open road. By NFS 2 it had become cars that were WAY out of reach cause they were so limited, and on closed circuits but with traffic??? Doesnt do it for me. Nothing til Test Drive unlimited ever really made an effort to capture the feel of a car you COULD REALLY go and drive, on roads that are NOT closed circuits.

Jump to Forum: