Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: RiKo
Thread ID: 3311
Thread Info
There are 48 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 13382 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Which 8-bit Games Do You Still Play?
merlin
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
(p.s. interesting yet twisted fact: I used to own 2x NES's as a child... FACT the more reliable machine of the two? I ACTUALLY wrote in permanent marker on the NES 'this machine for Double Dragon 1, 2 & 3 ONLY'! Yep... I know. Retarded, but hey... I was passionately retarded Grin )

LOL Hahaha that's pretty funny Ninja. I can see you're really passionate about the Double Dragon series. I'll give DD3 another try maybe I'll start to enjoy it more. I imagine you'll probably be planning to add the Neo Geo game to your AES collection too. It's a decent fighter but I would have preferred a really good Double Dragon scrolling beat 'em up for the Neo instead.

NeoGeoNinja
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
(p.s. interesting yet twisted fact: I used to own 2x NES's as a child... FACT the more reliable machine of the two? I ACTUALLY wrote in permanent marker on the NES 'this machine for Double Dragon 1, 2 & 3 ONLY'! Yep... I know. Retarded, but hey... I was passionately retarded Grin )

merlin wrote:
LOL Hahaha that's pretty funny Ninja. I can see you're really passionate about the Double Dragon series. I'll give DD3 another try maybe I'll start to enjoy it more. I imagine you'll probably be planning to add the Neo Geo game to your AES collection too. It's a decent fighter but I would have preferred a really good Double Dragon scrolling beat 'em up for the Neo instead.

I'M ONLY PASSIONATE...
about the Nintendo releases myself, or should I say, especially DD1, 2, 3 on the NES and Super Double Dragon on the SNES. I also have an affinity for the original DD on the GB. Awesome game! It's always in my GBA player for the GC.

DD3 on NES is a game you have to really work at, as the enemies are pretty ruthless and many of your abilities from DD2 have diminished, which is a shame. Still, the ability to run is a nice addition, the shoulder throw is great and the inclusion of additonal characters (including a Ninja - Yagyu Ranzou!) is neat too.

I HAVE NEVER BEEN KEEN...
on the Arcade versions of the Double Dragon games oddly. I never felt that they played as good as the NES releases. Especially DD3! The Arcade release was an absolute turd!!

AND, REGARDING...
Double Dragon for AES? Yeah, definitely an odd choice at that time, going for a fighting game based on (presumably) a terrible film... and a fighting game that apparently isn't that great either! Techos should definitely have delivered the scrolling beat em up of ALL beat em ups for for the NG imo. If Super Double Dragon was anything to go by, it could have been MORE than possible. Shame...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

priest
Ninja: How come you don´t like the Arcade version of Double dragon (scrolling beat´em up)?

I still play Kung Fu on the NES and The legend of Zelda to mention a few. The bad thing about Kung fu is that I have only managed to get one extra life (40,000). No matter how many times I finish the game or how high score I get I never get more than that. Didn´t the producers think that players would finish the game more than once in a row?
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
1983parrothead
priest wrote:I still play Kung Fu on the NES and The legend of Zelda to mention a few. The bad thing about Kung fu is that I have only managed to get one extra life (40,000). No matter how many times I finish the game or how high score I get I never get more than that. Didn´t the producers think that players would finish the game more than once in a row?

See if the arcade version Kung-Fu Master, and its spiritual successor Vigilante do the same thing.

priest
Parrothead: Thanks, yea I guess I could do that. Tell you the truth though the NES version is so much easier than the arcade version (of kung fu master). So I´m not really that good at the arcade version.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
NEO-GEO man
I just had a Sega Master System 3D pack turn up here today actually, speaking of 8 bit. Its the set that has the machine, the 3D glasses, the Light Phaser, and 2 controllers. Bloody thing looks like its never been used, it still has all that protective plastic on everything.

I still play a fair few Master System games, Alex Kidd in Miracle World is a big hit, also the original Sonic the Hedgehog, and Double Hawk is one of the definate favourites, its abit like a primative version of NAM 1975...

I have a NES, but considering its a pretty piss poor 2nd to the Sega Master System, it doesnt get much play time.

I have all the 3D games except Outrun, mainly cause its too expensive to buy whenever i see it, and ive got the standard version.

Ive got a 4 Master System 2 consoles, 2 ive modded to put out RGB and S-video, and ive added the 50/60 Hz switch, one of my original Master Systems is a US model so its 60 Hz, the other has a switch, and ive modded the AV multi out so i can use a NEO-GEO RGB cable ( which i made myself, and is used for a modded Mega Drive, all the modded Master Systems, the CMVSs, the AES, but not the CD... )

NeoGeoNinja
NEO-GEO man wrote:
I have a NES, but considering its a pretty piss poor 2nd to the Sega Master System, it doesnt get much play time...

NOW, NOW!...
let's show some respect for our outstanding industry leading console of it's time NeoGeo man...

Ninja

shion
I play them all. They are my bread and butter when it comes to gaming. I really like the NES, but speaking freely...

NES does have its place in history, whether we like it or not. However, I will say this about the NES's ability to process action: even a system as tiny as the Game Gear has hardware that can process critical movements fluidly; thus, the overall "feel" of the gameplay in a typical action game is arcade-like.  This "feel," i believe, is what Sega meant by the phrases, "blast processing," and "Genesis does what Nintendon't." IMHO Nintendo still failed at getting arcade-like feel for the games of its successor, the SNES (honestly, I'm not intentionally trying to start the encitement of an angry mob with tourches and pitch forks). However, I believe it is absolutely imparative that a console or handheld maker advance from this premise if it is going to make action games the primary purpose of the console/handheld.  Honestly, the GG's/Master's ability to smoothly handle a wide range of action games puts the SNES' (much less the NES's) ability to shame.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
NEO-GEO man
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
NEO-GEO man wrote:
I have a NES, but considering its a pretty piss poor 2nd to the Sega Master System, it doesnt get much play time...

NOW, NOW!...
let's show some respect for our outstanding industry leading console of it's time NeoGeo man...

Ninja

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Not in this country is wasnt!! The NES was more than twice the price for less than half the power!!

NeoGeoNinja
1st Super Tobalman wrote:
I play them all. They are my bread and butter when it comes to gaming. I really like the NES, but speaking freely...

NES does have its place in history, whether we like it or not. However, I will say this about the NES's ability to process action: even a system as tiny as the Game Gear has hardware that can process critical movements fluidly; thus, the overall "feel" of the gameplay in a typical action game is arcade-like.  This "feel," i believe, is what Sega meant by the phrases, "blast processing," and "Genesis does what Nintendon't." IMHO Nintendo still failed at getting arcade-like feel for the games of its successor, the SNES (honestly, I'm not intentionally trying to start the encitement of an angry mob with tourches and pitch forks). However, I believe it is absolutely imparative that a console or handheld maker advance from this premise if it is going to make action games the primary purpose of the console/handheld.  Honestly, the GG's/Master's ability to smoothly handle a wide range of action games puts the SNES' (much less the NES's) ability to shame.

SEE. I WAS RIGHT WITH YOU...
right up until that last sentence (emboldened), which is a little bit ridiculous.

Otherwise, I agree, that after being realtively NEW to the Mega Drive (I've had a SNES for 20 years or so) and after collecting some games for it more seriously in 2009, I have found a new appreciation for the console I had overlooked in my youth.

When I was a wee child, the SNES had ALL the game I wanted to play, not the Mega Drive. Had I been 10 years or so older at that time of the SNES' release I might have felt different. But I didn't. And I was around 10 at the time, and had just come off the back of the SMS and the NES, of which, I preferred the NES (truth). And it's true again, the SNES had all the titles I wanted to play 'currently' at that time... SF2 series, Mario games (loved them in 2D), StarWing, Super Metroid, FZero etc. The Mega Drive didn't have anything that interested me then. In fact, if anything, I always felt that the MD versions were just inferior versions of the SNES games. And to a degree, that's true. However...

After spending some serious time with the MD over the last couple of years I can COMPLETELY see where your coming from with your angle of the argument. The MegaDrive DOES feel much more Arcade like than a SNES. I'm not sure if it's the type of games, the way the hardware handles the graphics and indeed the music too, or probably just a combo of them all... but yes, the MD is a better option for the Arcade feel, as I agree, it's 'lost' on the Nintendo consoles. Now I much prefer to go back to playing SF2 games on the MD, as opposed to the SNES, as they genuinely feel more Arcade like! It's no coincidence I'm sure. Also, the MD's Yamaha makes for a good sounding CPS1-alike too Wink

BUT THEN IT ALL...
comes back to what I've ALWAYS said about SEGA and NINTENDO:
SEGA - 'King of Arcade Gaming'
Nintendo - 'King of Home Console Gaming'

It's true. Nintendo deliver a home gaming experience like no else, especially when they put their mind to it, and the same can be said of SEGA and their Arcade expertise. Pretty much untouchable perfection in the Arcades. Still, it was this never ending penchant for Arcade Perfection that saw their final console hit the wall imo - whether we love it or not! Thus, SEGA went out in style... unapologetically too! Headbang

Ninja

NeoGeoNinja
NEO-GEO man wrote:
HAHAHAHAHA!!! Not in this country is wasnt!! The NES was more than twice the price for less than half the power!!

SAME HERE IN THE UK...
too I think. The SMS was VERY successful here, Australia and in Brazil(!). But luckily, the rest of the world had taste!

I'm kidding of course. Don't take it personally... it's all like 25 years ago now! But honestly, whilst your right about the SMS having MORE power, it's worthless without having games you want to play on it. Outside of Sonic 1, 2, Shinobi & R-Type, I have little interest in the SMS.

For me, it was just a step down from the MD (with only a tiny release gap), releasing the same titles on both platforms, ultimately, the SMS releases VERY often just being crap versions of the MD releases. Yes, it had it's own unique releases, but nothing worth shouting about, or indeed, nothing unique not seen before on the NES (before I hear Golden Axe Warrior OR Masters of Darkness mentioned!).

For me, by comparison, the NES holds it's own as a stand alone console worth having alongside the SNES, as opposed to a platform of inferior ports of it's 16-bit big brother (although the NES does have some, just not many).

I know I'm gonna receive some flack for my opinion (as there's MANY SMS supporters here!), but it is exactly that... MY opinion Smile

Ninja

shion
NeoGeoNinja wrote:I'm not sure if it's the type of games, the way the hardware handles the graphics and indeed the music too, or probably just a combo of them all... but yes, the MD is a better option for the Arcade feel, as I agree, it's 'lost' on the Nintendo consoles.

Ninja

We can agree to disagree. Smile But in re. the quote, it is hard to pin point what is the exact factor that makes the experience (more often than not) arcade-like. After some long thought, I believe it's the stylistic approach to the programming (of the games). The Master and GG had this ability — to deliver the just of an arcade game — too, to a much lesser extent.

I didn't mean to sound like there were no good action games on the NES. I do believe there were exceptional action games on the NES, but they were few and far between. I reread some of this thread, and I know how you champion the Double Dragon series, and rightly so. Techmos could do magic with the NES hardware (River City Ransom series and the DD series). Is it arcade-like? I wouldn't say so. It's more like console action done damn right.
Edited by shion on 20. June 2011 23:02

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
neogeoeno
im still playing my favourite 8bit game of all time capcom tataki no banka (trojan) for the nintendo.also many games honorable to mention boy soccer team #2 -tecmo super bowl - tmnt 2&3- zelda 1&2 all of this games we play it with much much enjoyment back in late 80s .

NEO-GEO man
Ive got loads of Master System games, at least 170 in their boxes, and about another 20 loose carts, and out of those, there is more than 25 i dead set LOVE to play, probably another 50 that i like a lot, and the rest i havent actually played before due to just not having the time yet.

Take Mario 1 and 3 on the NES, two of the most AWESOME games of all time, not just on that console... Along comes Sonic the Hedgehog on the Master System and slaps them both down like a red headed step child in EVERY respect.

Sound: yep,
Graphics: without question yep,
control: i reckon so,
gameplay: Sonic has my vote, even if only just
Level design: Sonic for dead set certain... every single stage is a different one for a start!!
Frustration level: Mario drives me up the bloody wall at times in some levels
Replay value: The levels in Mario are so repetitive, once youre through you wont go back as quick i reckon...

We could discuss this til the cows come home and never agree, but its all about opinions, and this is exactly why this thread was started!! Someone wanted to know other people's opinions, and i do too!! Wink

NeoGeoNinja
NEO-GEO man wrote:
Take Mario 1 and 3 on the NES, two of the most AWESOME games of all time, not just on that console... Along comes Sonic the Hedgehog on the Master System and slaps them both down like a red headed step child in EVERY respect.

Sound: yep,
Graphics: without question yep,
control: i reckon so,
gameplay: Sonic has my vote, even if only just
Level design: Sonic for dead set certain... every single stage is a different one for a start!!
Frustration level: Mario drives me up the bloody wall at times in some levels
Replay value: The levels in Mario are so repetitive, once youre through you wont go back as quick i reckon...

We could discuss this til the cows come home and never agree, but its all about opinions, and this is exactly why this thread was started!! Someone wanted to know other people's opinions, and i do too!! Wink

IN RESPONSE TO THAT...
I have dug out an old thread I started around 2 years ago!

I figured it may be of interest?: http://www.neogeo...post_33049

Have a look over my comments (which respond to yours above, directly... but 2yrs ago!) and feel free to vote and respond yourself. Inadvertently, an old thread resurrection if you will? Smile

Ninja

merlin
Comparing the Master System and NES there's no denying that the latter does have far more quality games available for it. One weakness with the Master System is a real lack of good 2 player games. Neo Geo man is right about the difference in power though. SMS graphics do look quite a bit better. I like how they're so colourful. NES games look a bit drab in comparison with fewer colours on screen. The NES does have a better sound chip though. The SMS will always be my favourite of the two since it was the first system I ever owned.

I do wonder perhaps if you maybe haven't played that many SMS games Ninja. I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy games like Psycho Fox, the Wonderboy series, Ninja Gaiden and the Disney platformers.

Although I do enjoy the Sonic games I'd rate the Mario series as being much better. I'd say Mario 3 is probably the best 8 bit platformer I've played. The game has plenty of variety with lots of secrets and very high replay value.

I recently got a chance to try out the NES Power Pad. Surprisingly enjoyable although quite tiring after a while. I played Eggsplode and Short Order. I'd like to try out some more games especially Street Cop where you have to chase criminals and club them! Anyone else enjoy using the Power Pad?

ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51SP-hNVztL.jpg

NEO-GEO man
You can get an FM add on for the Master System though which in alot of games really makes a huge upgrade for sound. It goes in the back where that expansion slot is.

I sort of find the lack of 2 player on the NES cause most seem to be alternate, or simply 1 player only. Ive got a couple old SNK games on the NES, and was quite dissapointed that POW is only 1 player!!

About half the SMS games i have are 2 player simultaneous.

NEO-GEO man
Ninja, thanks for that link, im investigating that now Wink

boogiepop
NEO-GEO man wrote:
I sort of find the lack of 2 player on the NES cause most seem to be alternate, or simply 1 player only. Ive got a couple old SNK games on the NES, and was quite dissapointed that POW is only 1 player!!

You might want their later effort on the NES called Guerrilla War. It's fast to the point of frantic and 2 player coop.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

merlin
I never realized you could improve the sound with that FM expansion Neo Geo Man. Interesting.

It always seemed to me that not that many SMS games had 2 player simultaneous play at least not the ones I played. Maybe there are more than I thought. Which ones do you recommend Neo Geo Man for some 2 player action? I'd like to play some SMS games online on Kaillera one day. There are loads of great 2 player NES games such as Tetris 2, Jackal, Contra 2, Crisis Force, Double Dragon series etc.

Jump to Forum: