Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: 1983parrothead
Thread ID: 3303
Thread Info
There are 15 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 5238 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Best pre-SFII fighting game(s)
1983parrothead
There are several released from arcades to home consoles mostly in the 1980s. I'm pretty sure that most of you would choose Data East's 1984 Karate Champ arcade and Konami's 1985 Yie Ar Kung-Fu arcade, because of being the basis of modern-fighting games. If post-SFII fighting games bother fans by taking ideas from SFII, then how come fans aren't bothered by SFII taking ideas from pre-SFII fighting games like the two I mentioned, as well as the very innovative 1985 arcade fighting game Galactic Warriors also by Konami? That's not fare.

Anyway, here is a list of pre-Street Fighter II fighting games, but their might be some missing ones:

http://www.hardco...ghters.htm
Edited by 1983parrothead on 13. May 2011 01:16

priest
Yie Ar Kung fu - Without a doubt, the best pre SF game. Closely followed by...

International Karate - A bit different from "Yie Ar" but so good.

i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
hitorkori
I LOVED SHOLINS ROAD i could get 4 hrs play on 1 ten pence Wink

NeoGeoNinja
1983parrothead wrote:
There are several released from arcades to home consoles mostly in the 1980s. I'm pretty sure that most of you would choose Data East's 1984 Karate Champ arcade and Konami's 1985 Yie Ar Kung-Fu arcade, because of being the basis of modern-fighting games. If post-SFII fighting games bother fans by taking ideas from SFII, then how come fans aren't bothered by SFII taking ideas from pre-SFII fighting games like the two I mentioned, as well as the very innovative 1985 arcade fighting game Galactic Warriors also by Konami? That's not fare.

DOESN'T BOTHER ME...
if I were honest, and it never has. Probably because it doesnt matter how much people take similar ideas or the concept of SF2, it has NEVER affected the success of SF2 at all. It's always been the 'market' leader'. I think it bothers ME more when someone takes the ideas and concepts from someone elses, arguably superior product, and makes more success from a lesser product overall. That usually winds me up!

ANYWAY...
not that it was a difficult hypothesis to make but, yes, I fall into the bracket of PPL who appreciated International Karate + (IK+ on the Amiga specifically) prior to SF2's existence.

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

priest
hitorkori wrote:
I LOVED SHOLINS ROAD i could get 4 hrs play on 1 ten pence Wink

I´d say that Shao Lins road while being a great beat´em up, it doesn´t qualify as a one on one beat´em up. It´s more like the grandfather of scrolling beat´em upsBeard
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
shion
I might be the only one who believes this here, but, Pit Fighter! Great idea. Very violent and nice two-on-one action...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
Shiny
1st Super Tobalman wrote:
I might be the only one who believes this here, but, Pit Fighter! Great idea. Very violent and nice two-on-one action...

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Seriously though...

priest wrote:
Yie Ar Kung fu - Without a doubt, the best pre SF game. Closely followed by...

International Karate - A bit different from "Yie Ar" but so good.

This.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

1983parrothead
I posted a helpful list of pre-SFII fighting games for any of you to look through to see if you are missing one or more that you forgot about and enjoyed or want to see if any of the ones you are new to are any good.

If you are too lazy to scroll up, click this link below:

http://www.hardco...ghters.htm

reelmojo
That was a very interesting read parrothead!

Regarding Street Fighter 1: "As a side note, the director for this game, Takashi Nishiyama, and the planner for this game, Hiroshi Matsumoto, would leave Capcom after producing this game and go on to develop most of SNK's fighters." That explains Art of Fighting's similarities to the original SF. Also, I've always wondered my no one has taken the sprites from SF1 and made a good fighter out of them using Mugen.

I'm interested in trying out Last Apostle Puppet Show if only for the extremely unique character designs. And of course I need to try Street Smart since it's an SNK game. I wonder if a character from it will ever show up in KoF or a NGBC sequel.

RiKo
An interesting note is that the combos in SFII came about because of a programing error, which they then developed to make the combos we now know and love.

Im with Priest and Ninja on IK+, is agreat game. i do wish devlopers would make some fighting games (a bit like IK+) which are totally different to the accepted norm. would be nice to play some totally fresh-feeling fighting games for a change.

i cant really think of many other versus fighting games i played before - Barbarian on Spectrum was very good at the time, but im not sure if i would play it now.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
NeoGeoNinja
RiKo wrote:
Im with Priest and Ninja on IK+, is agreat game. i do wish devlopers would make some fighting games (a bit like IK+) which are totally different to the accepted norm. would be nice to play some totally fresh-feeling fighting games for a change...

IT'S A SHAME REALLY...
that the IK+ approach to, what is essentially, 2D fighting simulation never took off - or at the very least, the concept for the fighting system, as it was (IS!) genius.

The closest I've ever gotten to something remotely similar would be Best of the Best Kickboxing for the SNES, which again, is an awesome game in it's own right. Especially the ability to pick and choose from a massive selection of kicks and punches to customise your fighting style - all highly realistic looking. Damn... it NEEDS a HD remake!

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story also made a nice use of the 3P fight concept too. Another underappreciated title imo. It may NOT be SF, but it's still great and very tactical in it's own right Smile

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

boogiepop
The Way of the Exploding Fist series and Knight Games on the C64. Knight Games is a collection of little fighting mini games, hence the name. Can't remember if it was complete crap or not though ( but it's worth trying just for the archery!)
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Michael Max
This topic brings with it a whole bunch of pent up frustration for me...before i delve into all that, let me answer the question first:
Best fighter before SF2 imho was Street Smart (SNK, 1989) with SF1 being a VERY close second. And yes, Pit Fighter WAS AWESOME!

Now to my frustration. Basically i'm just upset that so many people think the SF series is the end all, be all of the fighting genre. It was an astonishingly well made game, i have no arguments with that. But capcom really hasn't produced anything since SF2 (and its updates) that has really given alot of new variety to the franchise. Let's take the early nineties, SNK had Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, And Samurai Showdown. All three completely different games with diferent gameplay structures and different characters. All three very good games too! Capcom had...SF2. Granted, SF2, again, is a very good game... it's air tight controls and memorable graphix and music made it a household name. But all i'm saying is that i'm tired of all the neogeo fighters getting absolutely no love from the general public. And worse than that...everyone thinks that just because its a fighting game, its some kind of rip off of capcom. Know your history folks...SF1 was the original street fighter, and it was produced by two guys who went on to work for snk! In a way, you could say that Ryu, Ken, Sagat, Adon, etc. are all the creation of SNK, now couldn't you? (oh yes i did:annoySmile Overall, it's all an opinion...not fact, of what games are "better"...so take all this for what it's worth. I think when it comes to old school fighting games, capcom is great, but neo geo games are betterTerry
Edited by Michael Max on 17. May 2011 14:47

Bullet
I've been saying that for years... All of it.
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

1983parrothead
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
1983parrothead wrote:

DOESN'T BOTHER ME...
if I were honest, and it never has. Probably because it doesnt matter how much people take similar ideas or the concept of SF2, it has NEVER affected the success of SF2 at all. It's always been the 'market' leader'. I think it bothers ME more when someone takes the ideas and concepts from someone elses, arguably superior product, and makes more success from a lesser product overall. That usually winds me up!

Ninja

RiKo wrote:
An interesting note is that the combos in SFII came about because of a programing error, which they then developed to make the combos we now know and love.

Guiness World Records: Gamer's Edition 2008 awarded SFII "First Fighting Game to Use Combos", but that is absolutely incorrect. They also awarded it "Most Cloned Fighting Game" and "Biggest-Selling Coin-Operated Fighting Game."

I hate hearing the words "clone", "ripoff", "wannabe", "knockoff" and other similar words used when describing certain games, especially when certain successful games use not-so-original ideas to overshadow the ones that used them first. I don't care how similar post-SFII fighting games are to SFII, because that pulls me away from the bright sides of post-SFII fighting games.

Here is a small list of ideas SFII took from the ones released before it. I might be missing some:

Fist-fighting - Heavyweight Champ
Kicking - Attack of the Phantom Karate Devils
Fighting game - Warrior
Side-viewed - Attack of the Phantom Karate Devils
Competitive / Multiplayer - Warrior / Karate Champ
Health system - Attack of the Phantom Karate Devils
Combo system - Shanghai Kid
Special moves - Shanghai Kid
Announcer - Karate Champ
Bonus stages - Karate Champ
Revision/sequel - Karate Champ: Player VS. Player
String of combos - Street Smart
Motion controls - Brian Jacks Uchi Mata
Hidden moves - Brian Jacks Uchi Mata
Multiple characters with different move sets - Yie Ar Kung-Fu
Female characters - Yie Ar Kung-Fu
Playable female character - Typhoon Gal
Grabbing / Throwing - Typhoon Gal
Multiple playable characters with different move sets - Galactic Warriors
Projectiles - Attack of the Phantom Karate Devils
Playable characters with projectile moves - Galactic Warriors
Modern health lifebars - Galactic Warriors

Remember the "First fighting games in history" thread I made? I now moved and updated the much larger list into a blog post.

Of course, SFII is probably the best-selling arcade fighting game and is an example of a popularizer whether it's original or not, but it's not even the first to popularize the fighting genre. Karate Champ and Yie Ar Kung-Fu were the first ones; however, Karate Champ lacks a selection of multiple playable characters with different move sets, while Yie Ar Kung-Fu only allows 2 players to play while taking turns, so the first SF combined them, but still doesn't have a multiple character selection like Galactic Warriors and SFII.

Hearing all the criticism on how similar certain things are to the original or popularized ones reminds me of this:

http://www.youtub...QTxZ_zxAv8

Jump to Forum: