Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: candycab
Thread ID: 3302
Thread Info
There are 20 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 9980 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Best Mech game on PS3 ?
candycab
Looking for any thoughts on what if any Mech games are worth picking upon the PS3 ?

I have Dynasty Warriors Gundam which in my opinion they could have used Barney sprites and it would be just as close to a Mech game as it already is.

Looking for traditional type games like Mech Warrior etc. I also have Gundam Crossfire which seems to be impossible as I cant make it past the first training mission.

Any thoughts on Crossfire ? Smile

Thanks guys Smile
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

NeoGeoNinja
candycab wrote:
Looking for any thoughts on what if any Mech games are worth picking upon the PS3?

I WAS MASSIVELY INTO...
the Armored Core series back on the PS2 and I USED to own: AC3, AC Nexus and AC Last Raven... AC3 being my first ever AC experience.

They're REALLY good games but very demanding too, particularly in terms of strategy, use of weapons, the build of your mech itself and the choice of said chosen weapons.

AS SUCH...
there are two AC4 variants available for 360 & PS3: 'AC4' and 'AC4 For Answer'. I have strongly thought about picking one of these up myself, however, I'd struggle to find the time nowadays to do the game and ultimately, the full mech experience ANY justice :(

However, it may be just the type of game your looking for? I don't know Hmm

Based on my previous experiences though, I definitely say the AC series is at the very least worth a look and... IGNORE any reviews. So called critics/reviewers have no clue as to what makes a mech game a GOOD mech game, if you know what I mean? Wink

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

candycab
Thanks ninja Smile

I know exactly what you mean when it comes to reviewers, most dont seem to know a Mech game from a hole in the ground or what makes a good one. What you described is pretty much what Im looking for, something more sim oriented than arcade. Now if I could only find that damn Xbox game with the giant control panel Smile lol I forget what that was called but it was pretty cool for its time with its cardboard foot locker and all.

Cool man I will look into picking up the AC games for PS3, Thanks again Headbang
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

cthulhu
Zone of the Enders is supposed to be a pretty good game and the second one is even better...never played it though.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

candycab
cthulhu wrote:
Zone of the Enders is supposed to be a pretty good game and the second one is even better...never played it though.

I will have to check that out

Thanks Smile

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

NeoGeoNinja
candycab wrote:
Thanks ninja Smile

I know exactly what you mean when it comes to reviewers, most dont seem to know a Mech game from a hole in the ground or what makes a good one. What you described is pretty much what Im looking for, something more sim oriented than arcade. Now if I could only find that damn Xbox game with the giant control panel Smile lol I forget what that was called but it was pretty cool for its time with its cardboard foot locker and all.

Cool man I will look into picking up the AC games for PS3, Thanks again Headbang

THE XBOX GAME...
in question, I assume you mean 'Steel Batallion'?

gamefocus.co.uk/shop/catalog/images/steel_battalion.jpg

AS FOR THE ARMORED CORE SERIES...
for you, the games may... MAY be a bit of a mixed bag BUT are ideal for someone like me. I say this as the games hold a fantastic level of depth... sim like depth overall, however, the gameplay itself is actually a more conventional and fast moving affair. It really works for me, but may not be exactly what your after. 2nd hand for $5 though, guess you can't complain, eh? Wink

cthulhu wrote:

I'VE PLAYED MOST...
of both of the Z.O.E. games and Z.O.E. 2 is FAR superior to the original. The original was 'ok' (always was!) but the sequel is actually a REALLY good game. Kojima did the series proud with that game imo. It even has Vic Viper as a (npc) transformable mech too! Very cool. Never finished it though :(

Ninja

candycab
Yeah thats it .. I knew it was Steel something but couldnt remember.

Game Trailers still has a video review of AC Last Raven ( looks like PSX ? ) I checked it out, first thing that came to mind when I saw the combat was Virtual ON. Actually it looks like a pretty good balance between strategy and action which is good.

Ever played Shogo ?

http://en.wikiped...r_Division

Or Gun Metal ?

http://www.nvidia...metal.html

Gun Metal had an opening promo for Yeti Studios of a very real looking Mech walking amongst people on a London street, it was really cool.

I played them both to death many moons ago, great action games on a fast PC.
Edited by candycab on 08. May 2011 20:30

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

NeoGeoNinja
candycab wrote:
Yeah thats it .. I knew it was Steel something but couldnt remember.

Game Trailers still has a video review of AC Last Raven ( looks like PSX ? ) I checked it out, first thing that came to mind when I saw the combat was Virtual ON. Actually it looks like a pretty good balance between strategy and action which is good...

LAST RAVEN...
is a PS2 title dude, NOT PSX! Cheeky... Grin
candycab wrote:
Ever played Shogo?

I PLAYED SHOGO...
back in the hey day of Half Life on PC at a mates house. It was pretty epic! I loved the whole 'getting in and out' of a giant mech and attacking on foot. Great concept. Shame it was never taken further Hmm

WHILST WERE EMBRACING...
the mech genre, wondered if this forthcoming 'next gen' title would be of interest? Haven't really thought of sharing this info til now, but it seems appropriate! Wink

YouTube Video

I'm actually pretty excited about playing 'Hawken' if I were honest. It's looking pretty good! Thumbs Up (although, a bit 'grey' at the mo Grin). Fingers crossed!

Ninja

candycab
That game looks great Smile Too bad my Sat connection ping times are crazy high. I'm a good 3 seconds behind so multi player is usually out for me. If it has a single player mode I will be all over it. Interesting that I have pretty much no interest in FPS games but wrap it in a giant Armored Suit and I'm all over it Smile

I don't know if you looked at that review at Game Trailers but if thats a PS2 game it hasn't aged well. At this point most older PS2 titles probably haven't. My PS2 games are still boxed up after I moved but easily accessible. I did get the PS2 and original X-Box hooked up to my PC monitors and secondary projector but only thing I have actually played since is Harvey Bird-man Attorney at Law on the PS2 after stumbling over a new copy a few moths ago. That show is/was pure genius at work ! That and "Children's Hospital" which I cant seem to catch on a regular basis ... Gotta love Kurtwood Smith... The man who made "Robo-Cop" the great movie it is Smile
Edited by candycab on 09. May 2011 08:01

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

NeoGeoNinja
candycab wrote:
Gotta love Kurtwood Smith... The man who made "Robo-Cop" the great movie it is Smile

INDEED I DO...
in fact, if you check the TV/Movies thread, you'll see that Robocop IS in my top-ten movies of all time. The likes of Clarence Boddicker (as mentioned), Dick Jones and Bob Morton just help make the film as great as it is today. Well ahead of it's time imo and a great vision into our then supposed future Smile

ANYWAY...
back to those pesky mech games...

Ninja

candycab
Ninja I found something you might be interested in ?

http://www.gog.co...r_division

I have a copy of Shogo here and out of the box it will not run under XP or Win 7 so I will have to grab this for Five bucks Smile

I think I am going to pick that and a few other games up Smile There is alot of good stuff there easilly worth their asking prices. I have been wanting to play through Sanitarium again without having to build a dinosaur of a PC or fiddle with shit Operating Systems to run it Smile
Edited by candycab on 18. May 2011 04:43

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

NeoGeoNinja
candycab wrote:
Ninja I found something you might be interested in ?

http://www.gog.co...r_division

I have a copy of Shogo here and out of the box it will not run under XP or Win 7 so I will have to grab this for Five bucks Smile

I PLAYED SHOGO...
back in the day, a mates copy, on his PC (that's the 'short' version).

As such, I've never owned my own PC, or indeed had the game as my own. Also, I'm a Mac man too, so running Windows through my Apple isn't preferable, should we say Wink

Thanks though dude. I do appreciate the thought Thumbs Up

ANY LUCK...
with any of the Armored Core titles yet? I have borrowed AC4A (For Answer) from a friends shop. I was lucky that he just happened to have a 2nd hand copy on his shelf.

The game appears to be a bit of a paradox. On one hand it has Mech customisations even seasoned Gran Turismo fans would shy away from. The game offers SERIOUS levels of customisation and tuning. You can even add weights to add balance to certain aspects of your mech!

On the flip side, the missions (so far, to be honest and fair) have been quite basic affairs. Not so much in terms of the tasks involved, but just the overall presentation and depth visually. It just defies the effort put into the technical aspects of the game.

Overall though, this isn't to say that the game is bad or average. Just very niché. Love mechs (LOVE... not think they're cool) and you'll probably get a real kick out of this game.

Did I mention how outrageously hard and demanding the game can be too? Smile

Ninja

candycab
Cool ... I got Woz to sign an old Apple II for me some years ago which was sort of weird after knowing him for about Eifght years. Not buddies or anything but he used to buy Arcade Machines from my Brother through the 1990's when he had a shop in Campbell Ca and we have a few mutual friends. He's a really nice guy but definitely a bit odd, his brain is always going and he will drift off to other things right in the middle of a conversation, kinda like how people who have had a stroke just sort of forget what they were saying mid sentence. Haven't seen him in a few years now.

Anyway Smile Now that Mac's have Intel CPU's I guess they will do a dual boot Win setup pretty well. My brother is now a Mac guy most of the time, he still games on a PC though. His wife is not a much of a techie and found the Apple OS easier to pickup so they have a couple of I-Lamps Smile an Air-Book and swear bye their I-Phones and I-Pads which makes me want to puke since every time I talk to him he trys to sell me on buying one or the other lol my answer usually goes something like this Finger Pfft

No Cell reception anywhere near my house so a data plan would be a waste of cash and my last generation Razor handles anything I need while out tooling around. I-Pad is pretty intriguing but way over priced imho and way too locked up development wise for my tastes, that said I did just buy an Android Tablet to fool with. A Coby MID7024 It's pretty cool but I probably wont use it for much other than just something to fool with.

Apple make some good products but its definitely not my style. Haven't tracked down the AC games yet, probably dig them up via Amazon.com soon.

Shogo Demo for Mac here

http://www.macgam...item=14041

And here

http://mac.downlo...-division/

I wonder if the ever released the full game as I cant find anything on the Mac version other than the demo. Kinda surprised since 98 to 2000 from what I remember seems to be when Mac games really started to take off in terms of 3D graphics etc.

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

RiKo
thats very cool you got your Apple II signed Candy. i never had a brush with any kind of computing celebrity:(

not sure if it counts but Lost Planet 1 is a really good game and you spend a lot of time in mechs. this video is the 360 version but the PS3 version should be the same. there's mechs in the 2nd game too but i havent played it and most people seem to prefer the first game.

YouTube Video

EDIT : again not really the kind of game you are looking for but Ring of Red on PS2 is meant to be very good. its a mech RPG. i have a copy but i havent got round to playing it properly yet.
Edited by RiKo on 21. May 2011 13:57
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
candycab
I will have to look in to "Ring of Red" never heard of that but there are so many PS2 games out that I never knew anything about its always cool to discover new old stuff.

I had the original Lost planet on my 360 before it turned into an "Easy Bake Oven" Smile I have actually been thinking about picking both up for PC but haven't done so. Its OK for what it is but its a bit too linear for my tastes game play wise, never made it through the game due to loosing interest. Not a terrible experience bye any means, just needs to be played in short bursts for me to appreciate the game play.

I appreciate the recommendations and welcome anymore you may have Smile

Thanks dude.

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

NeoGeoNinja
candycab wrote:
>Lost Planet< ...Its OK for what it is but its a bit too linear for my tastes game play wise, never made it through the game due to loosing interest. Not a terrible experience bye any means, just needs to be played in short bursts for me to appreciate the game play...

LOST PLANET IS...
one of my favourite titles from this generation, making up one of the 15 titles I have in my PS3 collection 'for keeps' (I only own a PS3). I really enjoyed this game at the time and I was even MORE skeptical of the 'current gen' than I am now... now I'm just cynical instead! It just caught me off guard. It was a nice transitional title between the traditional kind of games we had come to expect at the tail end of the last gen combined with the advantages of more powerful hardware, for the aesthetics really.

I guess what I'm also trying to say is, indirectly, the linearity... the direct no messing gameplay and approach really works for me. I've never been a fan of time wasting, and that is usually, in my experience, a byproduct of non-linear gameplay. Call it point to point travel or searching for key objects, it's just never worked for me and when I do play such games I always have to put such issues I have aside in light of the greater good - the game itself... good examples being Shenmue, Yakuza, Zelda Twilight Princess etc.

I've had my fair share in the past, but by the time this generation had arrived, I'd tired of 'all that' and I think sunconsciously craved for more accessible and more linear, impactful games (Lost Planet, God of War, Ninja Gaiden Sigma series etc) Smile

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 22. May 2011 10:45

neros
Armored Core For Answer id the best Mech Game on the PS3.
My youtube channel:

https://www.youtu...er/neros77

www.ipaint.dk
Bullet
I'd say Armored Core for answer as far as domestic releases go, but From Software also put out Another Century's Episode:R for PS3 that looks amazing.
I have the ACE games on PS2 for this series and have yet to pick up Another Century's Episode:R on PS3... Yet.
http://www.youtub...Z4MRPKdwtw
Edited by Bullet on 22. May 2011 19:22
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

candycab
Thanks you guys for the input Smile

Ninja I never thought of jump to the newer gen consoles like that ... lots of truth to that when I think of how much and why I still enjoy the game play in old arcade games from the 80's. Straight to the point fun though its usually over pretty quickly and turns to tedium in many cases. One thing that has never changed for me is game play over graphics. Simplicity always seems to beat out everything else Smile

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

candycab
Thanks you guys for the input Smile

Ninja I never thought of jump to the newer gen consoles like that ... lots of truth to that when I think of how much and why I still enjoy the game play in old arcade games from the 80's. Straight to the point fun though its usually over pretty quickly and turns to tedium in many cases. One thing that has never changed for me is game play over graphics. Simplicity always seems to beat out everything else Smile

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Jump to Forum: