Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: STE C
Thread ID: 3291
Thread Info
There are 199 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 65535 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Gunlord
Murikov
As a lover of Turrican 2 and Mega Turrican and after watching the trailer, I suppose this definitely could be something for me. Gunlord in motion actually looks so similar to a Turrican title, you could think an actual Turrican 4 is in development. And Rafael Dyll's score sounds fantastic as well, just as expected! Now I'm definitely thinking of getting a DC this time...

@Kaz & other mods: I think Gunlord's pre-order announcement and video should be posted in the news section, it's a Neo Geo game after all. Thumbs Up
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

NeoGeoNinja
WELL, AFTER WATCHING...
the video, I can safely say that this does NOT look like an Amiga game... as such Pfft

It may be leaps ahead in terms of power, however, there's no escaping that Amiga-ish look and feel the game 'appears' to have (Euro Style Platformer explanation, no doubt?).

Graphics are a bit of a mixed bag (I said that before, didn't I?) with some of the levels looking magnificent (i.e. sewers(?) and the furnace esque, firey level), however, the opening level looks a bit meh I'm afraid. I will HAVE to reserve judgment until I play it of course Smile

Character sprite, again, looks functional, but nothing overly dramatic...

-SD- wrote:
Pre-orders for the various Dreamcast and AES versions are now available, as of literally just a few minutes ago.

Neo Geo AES
Japanese or English - €419 (Pre-order price, normally €439)

Dreamcast
Standard Version - €32
Ltd Edition - €42
Double Pack - €68
'Dragon Box' Collector's Edition - €99

The Dragon Box version is limited to 500 copies worldwide, and comes with loads of extra stuff, so that's the one I went for...

SEE...
I'm really unsure as to how to play this one. In the past, I have always ordered the regular & L.E. versions together, with the L.E. variants being limited to 500x copies. However, this time there are L.E. copies, Regular Copies AND this new Dragon Box variant, which is apparently limited to 500 copies (plus posters, stickers etc).

But... it's f*ckin' nearly £90 for the Dragon Box vs £60 for the Regular & LE Bundle. Not sure if I can justify the extra £30 on a slip case and 3x posters etc. It's quite a lot of money. Also, I wonder if the slip case itself, containing the games, will be sealed? And, will the games inside the case be individually sealed too?

If I was a little more flush, I'd order a Dragon Box AND a Bundle Set Grin

But that's €170 in total! Shock

Ninja

(p.s. looking forward to playing this btw Thumbs Up )
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 24. October 2011 22:12
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

reelmojo
Murikov wrote:
@Kaz & other mods: I think Gunlord's pre-order announcement and video should be posted in the news section, it's a Neo Geo game after all. Thumbs Up
Done. I also made the thread a sticky. Smile

Looks awesome to me! Yes, highly inspired by Turrican, but when did the last Turrican game come out? Yeah, they're not exactly stepping on anyone's toes. And I haven't played all of the Turrican games, but can you shoot upward in any of them? Because that alone will change the gameplay quite a bit.

RiKo
I do like it overall but I am a little disappointed it is so close to the original Turican games. I was hoping NGDevteam would just be using them as inspiration but this is close to being a rip-off. The main character is animated exactly like in Turrican! i would have preferred a more dynamic main character with more animations. The death animation where he (kind of) explodes is rubbish and also the directional beam doesnt look very impressive (it looks a bit limp). Something else i noticed is that it doesn't seem like they have included sloped-surfaces in their platform-engine which does give all of the levels a square-appearance (if that makes sense).

I know i am being negative to begin with but i am still genuinely looking forward to playing this, since one of my main gripes with the original Turrican (on Amiga) was the small enemies and reduced screen area and this game won't have those limitations. I also never really played that much Turrican in the past so in a way this game will still be quite fresh to me.

Overall i think the graphics are very good, they still remind me a lot of Last Hope (i guess it's the same guy). When i first got Last Hope i wasn't that keen on his graphical style but i do like it now. I also like the design of boss at the end of the Gunlord video although i thought that they could have made him so that he looks at the player (maybe tilt his head?)- at the moment it looks like he is isnt really aware of the player's prescence and is just going about his business. I also like some of the background layers in the levels, particularly the clouds.

Neros wrote :-I'm not an expert on that matter but sitting with a game made for Neo Geo on Neo Geo hardware will be the absolut best way of playing these games, and all Neo Geo games for that matter. It may come close to the real thing but the felling will be lost! Just think about it. Putting a 1560 MEGS (Fast Striker) into your Neo Geo machine Grin Then putting a cd on to your DC......naaargh not for me!

I totally agree, I didnt even like MOTW on the Dreamcast. (where i played it first). I seem to remember the display being bordered as well. Playing on the original machine just seems right. I have Sonic 1 on my 360, which as far as a i can tell is exactly the same as the original but I still only ever play it on my Megadrive, its just better...somehow Smile
Edited by RiKo on 25. October 2011 14:01
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
TLO
I didn't want to sound negative in my posts, I'm happy somebody is still pumping life into to Neo, and I hope the best for Ng Dev.Team as for sales. The music for the game sounds really nice especially and is the main thing that stands out. If I where more blessed with money I would pick it up for AES to support the team so we can see more titles in the future Smile
Edited by TLO on 26. October 2011 09:14

STE C
It looks like a nice game but yeah I agree with Riko it looks a little to Turrican/Euro for my liking ( I was never a big Turrican/Amiga style gaming). Still I will buy the regular version as it looks fun, I mean I dont expect it to grab me like Fast Striker but I am sure I will enjoy it mildly like I do with Last Hope. Maybe I will get a big surprise and it may be better than both FS & LH now that would be a lovely early Xmas gift.

The + point is its a new NG/DC game which we should all welcome ( unless its garbage) but from what I can gather in the trailer I think it will be a decent game.

LIFE_IN_2D
Ok boyos, I'm actually considering buying a DC just to play this game. I dunno why, but it looks really appealing to me. Wasn't really excited for either of the shooters NG : DEV came out with, but I really like what they got going here.

I've never played the original Turrican games, hence, I could give two shits and a fuck if it's a "rip-off" or "un-original". To me it's a new 2D run n' gun, with sweet music. I'm seriously one step away from buying this.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 29. October 2011 01:34
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

viktorh
I think it looks fun! Have only played Turrican on Amiga a couple of times, don't really remember anything from it. It definately looks a lot like Turrican, but as NGGrinev Team has pointed out elsewhere, in Gunlord you are able to shoot i 7 directions. That should make the gameplay quite different. The graphics didn't exactly blow me away, but they're nice. I'm thinking of pre-ordering a copy next month.
Edited by viktorh on 30. October 2011 14:23

Murikov
What do you guys actually think about the new main character sprite? I think it's quite a step back from what it was in the Alpha Version (see pic on the right).

img542.imageshack.us/img542/1426/vergleich.png

LIFE_IN_2D wrote:
Ok boyos, I'm actually considering buying a DC just to play this game.

I'm actually toying with the same idea, at the same time I'd like to get Pink Bullets and Fast Striker as well. As I've played almost every Turrican title not so long ago, I'm even more thrilled by NG:DEV's newest title.

If you would like get a glimpse into the Turrican series, I really recommend to give Mega Turrican a chance, as this is one hell of a brilliant game.
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

RiKo
Viktorh wrote:- but as NGDev Team has pointed out elsewhere, in Gunlord you are able to shoot in 7 directions. That should make the gameplay quite different.

thats true, you could kind of shoot in all directions in Turrican if you used the beam though.

Murikov wrote :- What do you guys actually think about the new main character sprite? I think it's quite a step back from what it was in the Alpha Version (see pic on the right).

I think i prefer the old one. It looks like they might have thought the original looked too much like the guy in Turrican so they mixed him with the main character from Shadow of The Beast Smile

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/smallbeast2.jpg

img542.imageshack.us/img542/1426/vergleich.png
Edited by RiKo on 31. October 2011 12:31

merlin
Watched the demo earlier today and I'm really impressed. Visuals look very detailed and colourful and I like the music too. There seems to be a nice variety of different monsters in the game and plenty of cool weapons to use. Like 2D I've also never played any of the Turrican games so don't really care how similar/disimilar this game might be. NG Dev Team did say they would look into the possibility of doing a NGCD release and I'm really hoping they will do. Nice to see NG Dev team try their hand at a different genre and this will be a unique game in the Neo Geo library.

LIFE_IN_2D
Just pre-ordered the standard DC version. Looking forward to seeing this new 2D run and gun. *rubs palms together*

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

-SD-
Final production numbers for Gun Lord:

Dear customers,

we decided the final production numbers for our Gunlord games:

Gunlord DC "Dragon Box" Collector's Edition : 300 units worldwide (50% are left)

Gunlord AES/Homecart LE English+Japanese : 120 units worldwide (both combined) (25% are left)

Gunlord MVS Shockbox LE : 60 units worldwide (30% are left)

As soon as those are sold out they go out of print. Remaining stocks will be auctioned on Yahoo Japan in 2012.

Btw.:
Fast Striker MVS LE is sold out / out of print
Last Hope Pink Bullets MVS LE will be soon gone too, only a handful of units are left.

Best regards,
NG: DEV.TEAM

P.S:
we will soon start "early bird" pre-orders for Fast Striker AES and Last Hope: Pink Bullets AES.

Edited by -SD- on 14. November 2011 23:47
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEOβ€’GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

NeoGeoNinja
SO, I HAVE TO ASK...
is there anyone here *ahem* dedicated enough amongst us to be spending the big bucks on the AES release of GunLord, at all?

I *think* IF I was an individual who found myself to be particularly affluent, having a passion for all things NeoGeo, I would, in better life circumstances have bought a copy myself (and the forthcoming AES release of Fast Striker and Pink Bullets too).

You know, if I had the sort of money where the equivalent of spending £400 on a game was like dropping a regular £40 for a modern release. You know, blink of the eye stuff... £50,000+ salary a year material etc.

I, MYSELF...
have ordered the 1 of 300 hundred 'Dragon Boxes' for DC. It's an early Xmas present/purchase, but won't arrive until Feb next year. But I can live. I'm just happy to get one 'in time'.

Nothing worse than buying any of these types of item past their original priced print run, as extortionBay always sets in...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

RiKo
Ninja wrote :- I, MYSELF...
have ordered the 1 of 300 hundred 'Dragon Boxes' for DC. It's an early Xmas present/purchase, but won't arrive until Feb next year. But I can live. I'm just happy to get one 'in time'.

Congrats Ninja! Thumbs Up I actually *love* LH : PB and Fast Striker so i hope this will be as good.

I definitely agree with you about Ebay - although these games are a lot of money in Neo Geo form, you can always sell them for the same price - or hopefully more and even if the price did go down - it wouldnt be by much, so its not such an expensive purchase when you look at it like that. Having said that i would never sell any game i really like. but nice to have the option if money ever did get tight.

neros
Does anyone seen a real gameplay movie on youtube jet?

I mean not the trailer one but somebody hoe uploaded a game run of it.
My youtube channel:

https://www.youtu...er/neros77

www.ipaint.dk
lee gray
RiKo wrote:
Ninja wrote :- I, MYSELF...

Congrats Ninja! Thumbs Up I actually *love* LH : PB and Fast Striker so i hope this will be as good.

I definitely agree with you about Ebay - although these games are a lot of money in Neo Geo form, you can always sell them for the same price - or hopefully more and even if the price did go down - it wouldnt be by much, so its not such an expensive purchase when you look at it like that. Having said that i would never sell any game i really like. but nice to have the option if money ever did get tight.

Its horrible having to sell something you like...I tend to buy something I collect if I have spare money rather than save it.....but if there is something else I need instead, atleast I know I can sell what I purchased with not too much a loss.

I almost put my name down for an AES copy but when I see its not ready till past march I decided against it for now, just incase something else turns up I want.
If however I still have spare cash by feb and the game hasnt all sold out I will pre order then, just for collection purposes.

LIFE_IN_2D
lee gray wrote:

I almost put my name down for an AES copy but when I see its not ready till past march...

MARCH?!?! FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!

Is that only for AES or for all releases?

Anybody know if the DC Dragonbox editions are still up for grabs? I'm considering buying one and just putting it away, then play with the Standard one I bought. I'm not much of a collector, but If the game is as good as I expect, It'll be nice to have a mint, extra copy put away.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 24. December 2011 13:25

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

lee gray
you can still get the dragonbox http://www.ngdevd... mid feb for that one.

RiKo
Yes i thought it was due in December for some reason, but i emailed NGDevteam a few days ago and they said it's due to be released in Feburary, although that's not set in stone. (This is for the MVS version)

Jump to Forum: