Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: neros
Thread ID: 3288
Thread Info
There are 35 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7829 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Art Of Fighting series
neros
Hi people

I'm about to get AoF3 (MVS) and it made me think that I'm actually a big fan of these fighting games. I remember the first time I played AoF1 on the arcade and I was instandly blown away by how the game looked and sounded. Big sprites all over the place Wink Today I know that the first one maybe isen't as good as the other too, but still there is something really cool going on with that first game. I play mostly AoF2 because I think this one is the best looking game of the three. The control is spot on and animation is really cool. Its hard as hell but that's what I like about itHeadbang 2

So now I'm about to get AoF3 and would like to know what you guys think about it?

Personally I think it is a beautiful game but somehow the feel of the first to games is gone and the music is more happy stuff than the really cool music from the first to games in the series. The characters is also a bit odd and strange! Overall I might think that the glow of the AoF series is gone in AoF3, but that dosen't mean that it is a bad game its just not the same as the other too.

So what do you think?
img832.imageshack.us/img832/9499/nerosgeo.jpg

www.ipaint.dk
Murikov
Art of Fighting 3 is indeed very different to it's popular prequels and, to be honest, my least favorite installment of the series (not saying it's bad, I just like AoF1 most). The graphics, animations, music and atmosphere are indeed fantastic (the Mayan temple stage with it's waterfalls for example looks like out of this world), but somehow I don't like the gameplay and especially the character roster. Of course the most important protagonists 'ol Ryo and Rob are present as always, but I really would have liked to see Takuma or Eiji in polished sprites. And the final boss is also more meh than spectacular.

But nonetheless you can look forward to an polished and amusing Neo gem which is quite overlooked imo, good acquisition! Thumbs Up
i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/SNK%20stuff/SNK_zps13025fff.gif

neros
Nice to see that I'm not the only one liking these fighting games. Yeah I feel the same way about AoF3 as you do I guess. There is something missing in the games atmosphere, and I'm not so happy about the character roster either as you, but still it looks very good at some point. I feel happy about getting it anyway Wink

Today I have been playing AoF1 a lot but just can't beat that horrible Mr. KarateAngry Haha! Some times he can take you out with 2 or 3 moves. This is truly a very hard SNK boss!

As for now I can't decide which AoF is the best. AoF1 is really fun to play.

www.ipaint.dk
NeoGeoNinja
HEY NEROS...
yeah, pretty much what you and Murikov have already touched on, I believe, sums up most PPL's opinions on the AOf series, as a whole:

Basically AOF3, whilst a nice game in it's own right, just isn't as wholesome AOF experience as it's prequels (for me, AOF2 being the best!).

It is a VERY nice game though, just perhaps, in hindsight, a missed opportunity - especially when you look at how well the likes of it's closest relative, the Fatal Fury series panned out Hmm

Regardless, imo ALL 3 of the AOF's are well worthy inclusions in any Neo fans collection, let alone AOF fan Smile

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

neros
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
It is a VERY nice game though, just perhaps, in hindsight, a missed opportunity - especially when you look at how well the likes of it's closest relative, the Fatal Fury series panned out Hmm

Regardless, imo ALL 3 of the AOF's are well worthy inclusions in any Neo fans collection, let alone AOF fan Smile

Ninja

Yeah finally I'll have all three games here at home for my Neo Geo system. AoF2 is also a very fun game, but maybe the hardest one of the all.

Well talking about the Fatal Fury series I don't know much about that series. I own Real Bout Special, and this is one of my best fighting games that I have, but far from that I don't know much about these games. Some people say that Fatal Fury Special is the best game in the series? I seriously doubt that, but maybe there is something that I have missed ?

www.ipaint.dk
reelmojo
My opinion is exactly opposite of popular opinion when it comes to the AOF series. While I'm sure the first two games were impressive when they were new I never played them back then so I have zero nostalgia attached to them. That leaves me to judge the series strictly by the gameplay and AOF 3 feels like it's leaps and bounds ahead of it's predecessors in my opinion. When I first loaded up these games to finally try them out (only a few years ago) I did not like 1 at all, and 2 barely seemed like an improvement.

Quick side story, a long time ago I had the idea to play every NeoGeo game from A to Z and give impressions about each one. So I started downloading roms and trying out games that I had never tried before, jotting down a few quick thoughts about each one along the way. While I abandoned the idea I did get through a few of them. This is what I wrote down about the AOF games...

Art of Fighting - Fatal Fury is often seen as SNK's attempt at creating their very own Street Fighter 2. If that is true then Art of Fighting feels like SNK's very own Street Fighter 1. I like Ryo and Robert so I want to like this game, but I just can't.

Art of Fighting 2 - A step in the right direction but this was made the same year as KoF '94 so it's definitely still lagging behind.

Art of Fighting 3 - ...whoa. I did not expect this! Huge jump in quality! I look forward to coming back to this one. I still don't like the limited special bar though. We'll see if I warm up to it at all.

While I can't say that I ever fully warmed up to the limited special bar I can say that my thoughts on the series haven't changed. The first two feel like they were extremely behind the times compared to the competition (even including other SNK games) while the third one feels like a real contender and a fighter that you can really sink your teeth into. A fourth game in the series bringing back old characters probably would have been a good idea, but I suppose SNK was busy with other things by then.

Michael Max
@reelmojo. Being a fan of simplicity and old school charm, im gonna have to say i dont share your sentiments about AOF. I think all three are awesome but i like 1 and 2 the best because they have a grittier feel that just made you feel like you're playing a true fighting game. AOF 1 is probably my favorite game of all time. Getting to mickeys stage and hearing him say cmon baby and the sirens in the background... Thats a little piece of retro gaming heaven right there.About the Fatal Fury series...i would have to cast my vote for fatal fury special as my favorite! With fatal fury one coming in at a close second. Terry
Edited by Michael Max on 02. May 2011 02:00

neogeoeno
Michael Max wrote:
@reelmojo. Being a fan of simplicity and old school charm, im gonna have to say i dont share your sentiments about AOF. I think all three are awesome but i like 1 and 2 the best because they have a grittier feel that just made you feel like you're playing a true fighting game. AOF 1 is probably my favorite game of all time. Getting to mickeys stage and hearing him say cmon baby and the sirens in the background... Thats a little piece of retro gaming heaven right there.About the Fatal Fury series...i would have to cast my vote for fatal fury special as my favorite! With fatal fury one coming in at a close second. Terry
me 2Smile whenever i play aof 1 the music & background take me back to the first time i play it im the first 1 to perform super death blow in arcade . aof2 &3 is in excellent games but part 1 still the first installition and the best Thumbs Up

neros
reelmojo wrote:
While I can't say that I ever fully warmed up to the limited special bar I can say that my thoughts on the series haven't changed. The first two feel like they were extremely behind the times compared to the competition (even including other SNK games) while the third one feels like a real contender and a fighter that you can really sink your teeth into. A fourth game in the series bringing back old characters probably would have been a good idea, but I suppose SNK was busy with other things by then.

Hmm the limited special bar is not limited you can built it up again, and this puts some very fine strategy into the games. Actually AoF1 was ahead of it's time and the first game to have Supers and AoF2 have a Ultra Super Combo that will kill your enemy in one move, and lets not forget about the taunting system either. If I remember correctly about this Super Combo it can be used when your lifebar flashes, and your enegy is low. AoF2 is more crisp in the control department.
Edited by neros on 02. May 2011 12:02

www.ipaint.dk
neogeoeno
(Actually AoF1 was ahead of it's time and the first game to have Supers and AoF2 have a Ultra Super Combo that will kill your enemy in one move) the ultra combo is start from art of fighting 1 not 2 like you mention you can perform it when you control ryo or robert .here how its work 1-your blood must be 25% 2- power gauge 100% -then rotate your diagonal in full circle motion < to> with pressing c then a . really in excited game over the mighty sf2 Pray
Edited by neogeoeno on 02. May 2011 14:01

neros
neogeoeno wrote:
here how its work 1-your blood must be 25% 2- power gauge 100% -then rotate your diagonal in full circle motion < to> with pressing c then a . really in excited game over the mighty sf2 Pray

Ok I'll try that later but it sound kind hard to pull off.

SF2 sucks compared to this game!

www.ipaint.dk
NeoGeoNinja
reelmojo wrote:
My opinion is exactly opposite of popular opinion when it comes to the AOF series. While I'm sure the first two games were impressive when they were new I never played them back then so I have zero nostalgia attached to them. That leaves me to judge the series strictly by the gameplay and AOF 3 feels like it's leaps and bounds ahead of it's predecessors in my opinion. When I first loaded up these games to finally try them out (only a few years ago) I did not like 1 at all, and 2 barely seemed like an improvement.

Quick side story, a long time ago I had the idea to play every NeoGeo game from A to Z and give impressions about each one. So I started downloading roms and trying out games that I had never tried before, jotting down a few quick thoughts about each one along the way. While I abandoned the idea I did get through a few of them. This is what I wrote down about the AOF games...

Art of Fighting - Fatal Fury is often seen as SNK's attempt at creating their very own Street Fighter 2. If that is true then Art of Fighting feels like SNK's very own Street Fighter 1. I like Ryo and Robert so I want to like this game, but I just can't.

Art of Fighting 2 - A step in the right direction but this was made the same year as KoF '94 so it's definitely still lagging behind.

Art of Fighting 3 - ...whoa. I did not expect this! Huge jump in quality! I look forward to coming back to this one. I still don't like the limited special bar though. We'll see if I warm up to it at all.

IN RESPONSE TO...
your thoughts and comments regarding the AOF series - I agree and disagree.

I disagree with your comment regarding AOF2 being 'behind' the competition - the competition in EARLY 94 being the likes of SSF2T, KOF 94, FFSpecial, SS2. I think it fits that generation just fine, although it can't be argued how influential and highly/universally respected SSF2T is to this day! AOF1 however, I definitely agree. This game was, imo, behind the fighting games surrounding it at the time - especially the SF2 series.

I can't agree with the 'sentiment' that AOF1 is the best in the series. It's fun to go back to, but for me AOF2 is the most solid AOF you'll play in the series with AOF3 sessions equally intertwined for good measure!

As for the 3rd title in the series, it IS a really good game. Problem is (for me at least), the game handles really oddly, has strange pacing (almost like that of a 3D fighter), a strange reliance on a preset combo system and a strange as hell roster - and that's coming from an SF3 fan! Like I said, and keep reiterating(!) I do like AOF3 but AOF2 'does AOF better' imo. It's just a more solid game overall. YES... the 1P mode is an arse of epic proportions but the 2P mode is still very much intact. Like I said, I find AOF3 to be more like an 'experiment' - perhaps (and imo successfully!) attempting 3D game play styles in a 2D format; with all those combo's and one off specials 'flooring' your opponent including the painful 'wait' to stand again and re enter the fight. I guess AOF3 though is neither behind or ahead here - just unique...

Ninja

tony starks
neros wrote:

*Ahem* in a parallel universe perhaps BanHammer Pfft

Seriously though, AOF 3 does not seem or feel like an AOF game if you know what I mean. Just like MOTW's does not feel like a Fatal Fury game though it is part of the series. Presentation wise AOF 3 destroys the other two games but gameplay wise as controversial as this may sound I feel it lacks compared with the first two games. Apples and oranges maybe but I find that AOF 1&2 have a lot more reply value compared with the third. At first AOF 3 is a great game to play but then after a while it gets boring pretty quickly. Look at how many people own the first and second AOF and yet can't be asked to get the third. I mean the price it commands for the homecart is ridiculous in comparison to the super cheap older games. It's been a while since I played AOF but triangle jumps or wall kicks help out a lot against Mr Karate. If I had a Neo I would show you and post up a video but I don't own one anymore.

Starks out.
Edited by tony starks on 03. May 2011 18:02
Starks is always out

NeoGeoNinja
neros wrote:

tony starks wrote:

HAHAHAHA...
I totally missed this! Yeah, NO WAY AOF1 is better than SF2, in terms of gameplay at least Pfft

Ninja

Michael Max
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
neros wrote:

tony starks wrote:

HAHAHAHA...
I totally missed this! Yeah, NO WAY AOF1 is better than SF2, in terms of gameplay at least Pfft

Ninja

Well there are many factors that go into what makes a game "better" (and it's completely subjective). Yes, most early capcom fighters had an edge in the gameplay department over most early snk fighters...but that's only one aspect of a game. I'd take AOF series over the SF series. Id also take the FF series, the world heroes series, or the sam sho series over the sf series. And that's coming from someone who thinks the sf series was ground-breakingly amazing. It's all a matter of taste.

neros
tony starks wrote:
Seriously though, AOF 3 does not seem or feel like an AOF game if you know what I mean. Just like MOTW's does not feel like a Fatal Fury game though it is part of the series. Presentation wise AOF 3 destroys the other two games but gameplay wise as controversial as this may sound I feel it lacks compared with the first two games.

Well maybe you misunderstood me Wink I feel the same things about this series as you do !

www.ipaint.dk
neros
Michael Max wrote:
Well there are many factors that go into what makes a game "better" (and it's completely subjective). Yes, most early capcom fighters had an edge in the gameplay department over most early snk fighters...but that's only one aspect of a game. I'd take AOF series over the SF series. Id also take the FF series, the world heroes series, or the sam sho series over the sf series. And that's coming from someone who thinks the sf series was ground-breakingly amazing. It's all a matter of taste.

I couldn't agree more. I would take AOF1 or AOF2 over SF2 or SFwhatever any day. I'm just not very much into Street Fighter games at all. Pfft

I really do think that the first AOF game has much more potential than the first SF2 game. Maybe it's not so crisp in the control department but still for me it's more fun to play.
Edited by neros on 03. May 2011 20:04

www.ipaint.dk
NeoGeoNinja
Michael Max wrote:

I'M GONNA COME OFF...
as a complete wanker (apologies!) but were not talking about SS, WH or FF - but simply addressing the comment that AOF1 is better than SF2.

However I do COMPLETELY agree... it is subjective. In truth, I would ALSO take most of those series' > SF series but ONLY > SF2's iterations. As it stands I still love the SFA/SFZ series and the much maligned SF3 series too (SF3 series probably being my fave!). Like you said, it's all subjective.

But as good as AOF1's music, stages and minute narrative and story is (more than SF2's!) and... AND as much of a fan of SNK I am too I still could NEVER say in good conscience that AOF1 is a better game than SF2. AOF2 however... now that's more comparable Wink

Ninja

neogeoeno
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
neros wrote:

tony starks wrote:

HAHAHAHA...

Ninja
you are right because the original art of fighting is a story game more than be 8 character selectable like sf2 but in the movelist and music department aof fighting is much much better (kaktte kina) Thumbs Down

neros
The music and sounds of the first AOF is kickass stuff. It has one of the coolest soundtrack in the fighting game genre IMO and the sounds when you hit your enemy is just badass.

Music:
http://www.youtub...a3MavatgrA

Music:
http://www.youtub...re=related

www.ipaint.dk
Jump to Forum: