Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: rbelmonte171
Thread ID: 3283
Thread Info
There are 13 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 4894 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Mortal Kombat 9
rbelmonte171
so has anyone here played MK9.
any thoughts, i love it so far...Headbang

reelmojo
I'm loving it too! I didn't start a thread about it because I tend to start threads that just die quickly when I like something that isn't already being talked about around here. Case in point: Battle High.

Anyway, MK9 is not just a return to form for the series. It's the best game in the series by far. It's so easy to pick up and play that anyone, even people who don't usually care for fighters, can have fun with it. And it's deep enough that people on Shoryuken can discuss the intricacies of the combo system for hours on end. And holy shit the single player content! The story mode is amazing and took me around 8 hours to get through. The difficulty level was perfect. I never had to retry a fight more than three times so it never once got frustrating. The Challenge Tower can get frustrating, but that's kinda what it's for.

The best thing about the game though is that Nether Realm Studios are very dedicated to making it the best game that it can be. They've already fixed infinites that have been found and are working on improving the netcode. That combined with the amount of fan service found all over the place shows that they love this game.

I'm actually looking forward to the DLC too. Kenshi is definitely one of the cooler characters from the MK4 to Armageddon era, and the fact that they even thought to make Scarlet a real character is awesome. Kinda surprised Rain hasn't been announced yet though as he's the only character from UMK3 who isn't in MK9... unless you count Chameleon but I think we can do without him.

rbelmonte171
i am with you on Kenshi,
but man do i think Shao Kahn is a cheap bastard on story mode.
i hate him on story mode!

reelmojo
Just wait until you fight him in the Challenge Tower! Just like the old days you have to resort to cheap tricks to beat him and Goro. At least Kintaro seems a bit easier than Goro.

So who is your favorite character so far? Right now I'm leaning toward Kitana and Smoke but I really love using Liu Kang and Noob Saibot too. This is one of the few fighting games where I can honestly say I like playing as almost every character. The only ones I'm useless with right now are Shang Tsung, Baraka, and Sheeva but I'm sure that's mostly due to lack of practice. Especially with Shang Tsung. He seems awesome, I'm just no good at doing the right air/ground fireball to actually get them to land.

rbelmonte171
Dude so far i am playing a lot with Scorpion, Kung Lao, Jax and Cirax,
i haven't tried them all yet all the way thru the game,
Kratos isn't what i had hoped for, (maybe i need to give him a bit more time)

i am surprised noone else has tried this, the tag team is really fun in book.

reelmojo
No Kratos for me. I don't have a PS3 so I'm on the 360 version. Kinda sucks there wasn't a 360 exclusive character to balance things out but the game rocks so I can't complain. Seems like Marcus Fenix would have been a good fit though.

And yeah, tag team is really awesome. I was afraid it would feel tacked on but it actually feels more like it's the way the game is supposed to be played.

Also, I think no one else is posting because MK is much less popular in Europe than it is here in the States. I hope more of our members at least try it out though. This game definitely has the power to change naysayer's minds.

reelmojo
Here are the grand finals of the first major MK9 tournament. Some really great stuff in here. The cool thing is the players are friends so they switched characters a few times and had fun with it. For me the highlight comes when (and don't read this if you just want to watch it and be surprised) Perfect Legend as Liu Kang comboed into and out of his X-ray attack. I didn't even realize you could combo out of LK's X-ray, so just by watching this I got better at the game.

YouTube Video

Another cool thing is that the announcers mention Nether Realm Studios members are watching the stream. That's awesome dedication to your fanbase.

NeoGeoNinja
reelmojo wrote:
Also, I think no one else is posting because MK is much less popular in Europe than it is here in the States. I hope more of our members at least try it out though. This game definitely has the power to change naysayer's minds.

I'M UNSURE...
about that being the reason specifically 'mojo BUT there's probably some truth in that.

I actually DO have an interest in picking this game up eventually and trying it out. Problem is, I'm not working right now and money's real tight. Truth be told though, even if I was, I wouldn't be willing to shell out the full asking price for this game (or MANY games nowadays to be honest). I don't mind MK in 3D, but only as a distraction... as a bit of fighting game diversity. Regardless, I'm rather looking forward to giving Cyber SubZero a go! It's about time he was 'created'...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

reelmojo
I'm looking forward to hearing about how you like it when you do get a chance to play it, Ninja. Diversity is a good word to use because it doesn't even remotely play like Street Fighter or BlazBlue. And it's so much better than every other MK that it's amazing they're even the same series.

Shiny
Mortal Kombat... They still make those games?

RE: the video... Fuck me, that looks shit. I'm not even being a dick just because I hate MK, it actually looks shit. I'm glad you guys are enjoying it but the art direction is awful.
Edited by Shiny on 09. May 2011 00:10
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

boogiepop
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
reelmojo wrote:

I'M UNSURE...
about that being the reason specifically 'mojo BUT there's probably some truth in that.

I actually DO have an interest in picking this game up eventually and trying it out. Problem is, I'm not working right now and money's real tight. Truth be told though, even if I was, I wouldn't be willing to shell out the full asking price for this game (or MANY games nowadays to be honest). I don't mind MK in 3D, but only as a distraction... as a bit of fighting game diversity. Regardless, I'm rather looking forward to giving Cyber SubZero a go! It's about time he was 'created'...

Ninja

My feelings exactly. The intro and fatalities are making me "laugh out loud" (more dramatic when you spell it out, isn't it?) and it looks simple enough for casual nonsense. This will definitely be something I pick up once there's a considerable price drop.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

reelmojo
Klassic Skins Pack coming soon:

YouTube Video

They could have just called it Klassic Ninjas Pack. Hopefully it's not too expensive, but either way I'm glad the pre-order bonuses won't stay exclusive. Especially since I sold my Mileena classic costume because I was banking on NRS offering them as DLC. Grin

They have also confirmed that Skarlet will be playable at E3, so we can pretty much assume she won't be released before then. No word on Kenshi though.

reelmojo
Skarlet and (on 360) the Season Pass released today! I bought the season pass because I know I'll want all the characters and it makes it $5 cheaper. Also, they confirmed that one of the other DLC characters will be Rain.

As for Skarlet, I'm liking her a lot so far. She has a pretty cool move list with a few interesting things that no one else has. Her X-ray might be the least damaging in the game, but it's extremely easy to combo into and because it's anti-air it's also very easy to land without a combo. She has pretty good combo options, but I'm sure when videos of pros playing come out I'll see things I didn't even think were possible. And her fatalities are sick... particularly her second one. Really raising the bar for violence in an MK game.

YouTube Video

Fatality Inputs:
Spoiler Alert! To See The Content, Just Click On The Image!
Fatality 1 - D,B,D,D (Block) Touching
Fatality 2 - F,B,D,D, (BK) Jump
Stage - F,B,F (FP) Touching
Babality - D,B,D,F (BP) Jump

EDIT: I forgot to add that each time a character releases everyone, whether they pay for the new character or not, gets two free classic costumes. Sektor and Cyrax's MK3 looks are included with Skarlet. It looks like Kenshi is going to come with Smoke and Noob Saibot's MK2 and MK3 looks respectively. Hopefully it's not all ninjas getting classic looks, although I see no reason why Cyber Sub Zero and Skarlet wouldn't get one. And I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Cyber Reptile from the Challenge Tower!
Edited by reelmojo on 22. June 2011 09:05

Jump to Forum: