Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: 1983parrothead
Thread ID: 3280
Thread Info
There are 12 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 4038 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Kaneko company discussion
1983parrothead
This is one of the lesser-known companies. Very few titles in their library pop up in most minds of people. Perhaps they are best known for the arcade game Air Buster, as it was one of the earliest arcade games to be ported to the MD/GEN, and was one of the arcade games featured in Nick Arcade. Kaneko might also be well known for Nexzr, DJ Boy, B. Rap Boys and the Gals Panic series.

Kaneko filed for bankruptcy shortly after SNK, ADK and Data East did, probably because of the financial crisis. In fact, remember 9/11? It was a horrifying moment, not only for the lives of everyone inside and near the World Trade Center, but for the world economy, as it was important for it.

Anyway, since this forum is full of people interested in fighting games, I though it would be necessary to include a list of Kaneko's entries in the fighting game genre.

FIGHTING GAME HISTORY

They started with Ka Ge Ki, but with the "Taito" label for being the publisher of Kaneko's work. Kaneko's name can be seen on the back of the Japanese version of the MD/GEN port of Ka Ge Ki.

When Capcom's Street Fighter II struck fame, Kaneko worked on and released Shogun Warriors (known in Japan as Fujiyama Buster), which predated SNK's Samurai Shodown in being ancient feudal Japan-themed. It also featured a unique grab system where the grabbed opponents can struggle out or be thrown.

Later the same year, Kaneko released Power Athlete (released outside of Japan for the MD/GEN as Deadly Moves and for the SNES as Power Moves), which was one of the first RPG fighting games in the modern era, and probably the most hated Kaneko fighting game. I haven't played it yet, but I will.

Then came the sequel to Fujiyama Buster/Shogun Warriors titled Blood Warrior (known in Japan as Ooedo Fight), which is like a simpler, slightly faster and more comedic version of Midway's Mortal Kombat series.

Comments below this playthrough sound offensive while comparing it to MXC (U.S. version of Takeshi's Castle)...

...but this tournament in Japan shows Japanese pro gamers enjoying it. The one on the left name "Pachi" is the same one who appears in this video on his attempt at beating General from Taito's Kaiser Knuckle, the toughest fighting game boss ever. Pachi is a Guilty Gear XX champion.

Kaneko's final two entries in the fighting game genre were probably the best: The Kung-Fu Master Jackie Chan and its revision, Jackie Chan in Fists of Fire: Jackie Chan Densetsu, which feature actors from Jackie Chan's then-upcoming film Thunderbolt, fighting in a slightly similar style of Mortal Kombat and Neo Geo fighting games.

Playlist of Jackie Chan in Fists of Fire tournament battles in Japan
Edited by 1983parrothead on 12. October 2011 04:51

NeoGeoNinja
1983parrothead wrote:
This is one of the lesser-known companies. Very few titles in their library pop up in most minds of people. Perhaps they are best known for the arcade game Air Buster, as it was one of the earliest arcade games to be ported to the MD/GEN...

NOTHING TO ADD...
here Parrothead, an interesting and informative post as always Thumbs Up

However, I will say that your opening comment rings 'predictably' true for me - as I only really know of Kaneco for Air Buster / Aero Blaster on MD/PCE (although, I only own the MD version myself)...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

merlin
Interesting info Parrothead. I didn't really know much about Kaneko although I have played a few of their games. The one that immediately springs to mind is Cyvern. That's a top quality shoot 'em up that everyone should play. I'd say it's on a par with the Cave and Raizing shooters. I know STE is also a big Cyvern fan too.

http://www.shmups...index.html

http://www.youtub...MRFHj7Sd50

Another Kaneko game I really enjoyed is Magical Crystals. You're a wizard who has to rescue pixies trapped in crystals scattered throughout the different levels. There are some pretty cool bosses to fight too. Highly recommended.

http://www.youtub...R6F_89jHTE

I have played Shogun Warriors, Blood Warrior and the Jackie Chan games. To be honest I didn't enjoy any of those. However I think people should definitely give the Jackie Chan games a try since they do seem to have quite a following. There's quite a long Jackie Chan thread at the SRK forums.

STE C
Merlin is right I adore Cyvern its a real shame that so few have played it as its a classy shooter

I have always had a soft spot for Kageki its such an original and overlooked fighting game, when it originally came out in about 88 Sinclair User magazine claimed it was the sequel to Double Dragon ( which obviously it is not). The Megadrive version was not great im afraid as it played very slow compared to the original although the graphics were very close. To put it bluntly Kageki is very weird but worthwhile ( whats all the whhuurrrgghh noises in the background when fighting its insane).

NeoGeoNinja
HMMM...
I was also playing Super Star Soldier on my Wii (PCE title via VC) and was surprised to see the Kaneko logo appear there too? What involvement with the Star Soldier series do Kaneko have? Anybody know? I assumed it was Hudson's own development but... but perhaps there's more to it? Hmm

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

1983parrothead
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
HMMM...
I was also playing Super Star Soldier on my Wii (PCE title via VC) and was surprised to see the Kaneko logo appear there too? What involvement with the Star Soldier series do Kaneko have? Anybody know? I assumed it was Hudson's own development but... but perhaps there's more to it? Hmm

Ninja

All I know is that Kaneko had some partnership with Hudson Soft not only for that, but for also distributing Hudson Soft's arcade game B. C. Kid ( also known as "Bonk's Adventure: Arcade Version" ) , the arcade game that's part of the PC Genjin / Bonk's Adventure series. Summer Carnival '93: Nexzr, a special event version of the PC Engine Super CD-ROM2 port of Kaneko's unMAME'd Nexzr arcade also mentioned Inter State / Kaneko, the same ones behind Super Star Soldier.
Edited by 1983parrothead on 10. May 2011 23:58

1983parrothead
*bump*

Here are some other Kaneko games that are probably worth playing:

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

Edited by 1983parrothead on 08. September 2011 09:40

Loris Biaggi
I have Sengeki Striker for Kaneko Super Nova, a really great shoot'em up.
Don't make me talk again about the genius game Blood Warrior... the most funny fighting game ever.
------------- Neo Mini Box -----------
i65.tinypic.com/11udicm.gif

Murikov
Thanks for your contributions, Parrothead. Heavy Unit and B Rap Boys look pretty amusing, I might try these out.

Virtual Boy wrote:
Don't make me talk again about the genius game Blood Warrior... the most funny fighting game ever.

After you mentioned Blood Warriors in the "Worst fighting games" thread, I absolutely wanted to play that game and a bit later I gave it a go on MAME.

It was actually pretty fun and especially good for a laugh. I haven't seen so cheesy digitized characters for a long time and the Fatalities were only a few of the many highlights. LOL

There was also a prequel called Shogun Warriors released in 1992. Haven't played that one yet, but opinions say it's not much different.

EDIT: Speaking of Blood Warriors, I've just watched the Blood Warriors tournament video that Parrothead added in this first post. These guys must have had a blast. LOL
Edited by Murikov on 08. September 2011 11:53
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

RiKo
I just want B-Rap boys, i think that game looks hilarious + amazing at the same time. I wish someone would convert it to Neo Geo!
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Loris Biaggi
Murikov wrote:After you mentioned Blood Warriors in the "Worst fighting games" thread, I absolutely wanted to play that game and a bit later I gave it a go on MAME.
It was actually pretty fun and especially good for a laugh. I haven't seen so cheesy digitized characters for a long time and the Fatalities were only a few of the many highlights. LOL
There was also a prequel called Shogun Warriors released in 1992. Haven't played that one yet, but opinions say it's not much different.
EDIT: Speaking of Blood Warriors, I've just watched the Blood Warriors tournament video that Parrothead added in this first post. These guys must have had a blast. LOL

I recently found the original pcb and i'm playing it on my cab... i'm an happy man.
Shogun Warriors have no digitized graphics (and very bad), so the feeling is much different.
------------- Neo Mini Box -----------
i65.tinypic.com/11udicm.gif

1983parrothead
Virtual Boy wrote:
Murikov wrote:After you mentioned Blood Warriors in the "Worst fighting games" thread, I absolutely wanted to play that game and a bit later I gave it a go on MAME.

I recently found the original pcb and i'm playing it on my cab... i'm an happy man.
Shogun Warriors have no digitized graphics (and very bad), so the feeling is much different.

Although I've never played any of them, I'm sure that Shogun Warriors is more innovative than Blood Warrior, but I think Blood Warrior's gameplay seems better, leading Kaneko in improving it in the Jackie Chan fighting games. For the Ka-Ge-Ki arcade and Power Athlete, they're a different history.

Jump to Forum: