Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: marktheshark
Thread ID: 3248
Thread Info
There are 13 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 4465 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
A few questions about Europe.
marktheshark
Hey, European NGFL members, I have a few questions about Europe that I would like to ask you guys about. I'm thinking about traveling to Europe sometime in the future & maybe moving to somewhere in Europe (not sure where yet; maybe somewhere in Scandinavia.)

1. In general, how bad is the amount of anti-americanism in Europe?

2. How does the European Union work? They seem kinda like a mini version of the UN.

3. What are some nice tourist spots to visit?

cthulhu
marktheshark wrote:
Hey, European NGFL members, I have a few questions about Europe that I would like to ask you guys about. I'm thinking about traveling to Europe sometime in the future & maybe moving to somewhere in Europe (not sure where yet; maybe somewhere in Scandinavia.)

1. In general, how bad is the amount of anti-americanism in Europe?

Not too bad, it all depends on how Americans behave. The Americans I've come across behaved like the whole world works like in the U.S. (no, we generally don't have different sizes in drinks to choose from...only at McDonalds and the like do we have different sizes). I do know a lot of people that don't like Americans, but I don't think you'll really notice. The only problem you might come across, might be that you pay too much for things.
So, don't worry and just act normally and one big advice is to try to at least speak a few words in the language of the country you're in...people tend to really like that.

2. How does the European Union work? They seem kinda like a mini version of the UN.

For members of the EU, like me (I'm from the Netherlands), we don't need a VISA to visit fellow member countries, but we do need to show our passports at airports.

3. What are some nice tourist spots to visit?

I really liked London, Rome, Malta, Prague and a lot of Americans flock to Amsterdam (mostly only because of the coffeyshops and the Red Light district). My wife has been to Sweden a lot when she was younger and she always really liked it.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

IDCHAPPY
Hey MTS, cthulhu got it pretty spot on.
There's tons of great places in Europe to see, I've only ever been to Amsterdam and Euro Disney myself but both were great Wink.
Edinburgh and Scotland are good too Grin

Murikov
Visit Switzerland (not to be confused with Sweden, although Sweden is pretty cool too). Thumbs Up

No seriously, you shouldn't be worried about the safety situation in most European countries, especially not in touristic places. People won't bite you just because you're a Yankee. In contrary, most people are very friendly and hospitable AS LONG as you remain friendly and polite as well.

As for the European Union, you can imagine it as a multicultural commonwealth of different countries, which are statutorily regulated by several treaties, unlike the UN which is a just a formal coalitation.
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

cthulhu
Off course there are a lot of great places to visit and I've forgotten to mention a few. Antwerp is also very nice, Berlin is supposed to be a great city and do I really need to mention Paris (never been there though)?
And again, I don't think you'll notice any anti-American sentiments as long as you're friendly and open to other cultures.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

STE C
Its cool to have ambition Mark but remember you are very young and the USA is a cool country , although I have only been to Florida I loved my time there and found Americans to be very polite. The likes of the Hispanics and Cubans ect well er I can see why they are not well liked by native Americans.

Some of the big cities in Europe are no doubt great places if you are wealthy but absolute shit holes if you arent, so I strongly advise against emigrating to the UK although you should visit London for the experience living there would not be my to my liking. I am notorious for disliking big cities but for a young man with an open mind maybe you would like it. Unfortunately the South and Midlands of the UK are becoming overran by ethnic minorities which are frighteningly becoming the majority, Muslims breed 10 x faster than white UK residents ( proven) and wish to enforce their beliefs on innocent people. My opinion is that Muslims are purposely trying to gain control of the UK. Thankfully for me I live in the far north of the UK in a city that is prominently white and christian but I am frankly terrified of my hometown becoming the next target of wholescale immigration.

I have always admired countries like Switzerland and the Scandinavian states due to them being well run and very strict against immigration, they wont put up with Indians, Bangladeshis ect coming to milk the welfare system as they are allowed to in the UK.

I am not racist, far from it but I have issues with Muslims and what they are doing blighty, guess we have to blame the governments we have had as well as they were warned about this 40 years ago, now it is to late our heritage is lost.
Edited by STE C on 10. April 2011 20:39

boogiepop
STE C wrote:
Its cool to have ambition Mark but remember you are very young and the USA is a cool country , although I have only been to Florida I loved my time there and found Americans to be very polite. The likes of the Hispanics and Cubans ect well er I can see why they are not well liked by native Americans.

Some of the big cities in Europe are no doubt great places if you are wealthy but absolute shit holes if you arent, so I strongly advise against emigrating to the UK although you should visit London for the experience living there would not be my to my liking. I am notorious for disliking big cities but for a young man with an open mind maybe you would like it. Unfortunately the South and Midlands of the UK are becoming overran by ethnic minorities which are frighteningly becoming the majority, Muslims breed 10 x faster than white UK residents ( proven) and wish to enforce their beliefs on innocent people. My opinion is that Muslims are purposely trying to gain control of the UK. Thankfully for me I live in the far north of the UK in a city that is prominently white and christian but I am frankly terrified of my hometown becoming the next target of wholescale immigration.

I have always admired countries like Switzerland and the Scandinavian states due to them being well run and very strict against immigration, they wont put up with Indians, Bangladeshis ect coming to milk the welfare system as they are allowed to in the UK.

I am not racist, far from it but I have issues with Muslims and what they are doing blighty, guess we have to blame the governments we have had as well as they were warned about this 40 years ago, now it is to late our heritage is lost.

Just to point out for clarification that 'Native American' refers to the true native people in Northern America and not the European immigrants (and others) that now populate it.

Also, it's nice that you're not racist but your comments about religion, stating that it's good you live in a Christian neighborhood and that there's danger of your heritage being in jeopardy (first sign), would imply otherwise. I'd remember that Muslims DO come to these forums and be therefore careful how I phrase things. I'd also point out that Christians have a bit of a habit of shoving their beliefs down people's throats (missionaries anyone?).

To get back on topic, I'd just look very carefully into what you'd have to realistically be able to do to get a job in Europe in the future. It might be much more difficult than you believe because they could much more easily get a Brit or other English speaker (if that's your angle) than going through the paperwork hiring an American.
Edited by boogiepop on 11. April 2011 16:44
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

STE C
Despite my comments boogiepop and the fact that I was christened in a protestant church I do not consider myself christian, I am in fact an atheist. But I do admire the christian religion as it educates children in whats right and wrong which can only be a good thing. Yes certain christian religions can be a little pushy when they want to be such as Mormons and other sects knocking on doors, but they are not violent and preach hate like Muslim fundamentalists. Talking about the crusades or missionary's does not wash nowadays.

You of all people boogiepop living in the USA should realize after 9/11 just what they are capable of doing, I cant recall bible bashers and methodists flying planes into buildings and butchering innocent people, don't you remember the images of people from Muslim nations cheering when they heard the news about that disgusting act of cowardice against **your** country boogiepop.

I would not worry about my comments upsetting any Muslims boogiepop, I doubt very much that Allah allows the joy of videogames.
Edited by STE C on 11. April 2011 19:50

priest
STE C and Boogiepop: However interesting this discussion maybe, thats not what marktheshark asked for. I think that this is far enough, please get back on subject. ThanksThumbs Up

www.yasrsly.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/meanwhile-in-sweden.jpg
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
boogiepop
Posted at the same time as Priest's message. Moved comments to pm.
Edited by boogiepop on 11. April 2011 20:19

merlin
I think it's a very good idea Mark that you're interested in travelling in Europe. I'm sure you would have a lot of great experiences here.

1. I don't think this is something to worry about. My impression is that there's very little
anti-americanism here in the UK. I'd be surprised if other European countries were any different in this regard. Sometimes people may not always agree with US foreign policy but that's not anti-americanism of course.

2. From the EU website:

What is the European Union?

A unique economic and political partnership between 27 democratic European countries.

What are its aims?

Peace, prosperity and freedom for its 498 million citizens in a fairer, safer world.

What results so far?

Frontier-free travel and trade, the euro (the single European currency), safer food and a
greener environment, better living standards in poorer regions, joint action on crime and
terror, cheaper phone calls, millions of opportunities to study abroad and much more besides.

How does it work?

To make these things happen, EU countries set up bodies to run the EU and adopt its legislation.

The main ones are:
the European Parliament (representing the people of Europe);
the Council of the European Union (representing national governments);
the European Commission (representing the common EU interest).

http://en.wikiped...pean_Union

3. Other people have already mentioned some great places to visit. Out of the European countries I've visited Italy is my favourite and I'd recommend spending as much time there as possible. Italy has so much to offer with so much beautiful architecture and art. The food there is wonderful too. I particularly recommend going to Venice (my favourite), Verona, Genoa, Milan, Pisa, Siena, Rome, and Florence. There are still a lot of places in Italy I haven't been to yet though.

marktheshark
STE C wrote:
Despite my comments boogiepop and the fact that I was christened in a protestant church I do not consider myself christian, I am in fact an atheist. But I do admire the christian religion as it educates children in whats right and wrong which can only be a good thing. Yes certain christian religions can be a little pushy when they want to be such as Mormons and other sects knocking on doors, but they are not violent and preach hate like Muslim fundamentalists. Talking about the crusades or missionary's does not wash nowadays.

You of all people boogiepop living in the USA should realize after 9/11 just what they are capable of doing, I cant recall bible bashers and methodists flying planes into buildings and butchering innocent people, don't you remember the images of people from Muslim nations cheering when they heard the news about that disgusting act of cowardice against **your** country boogiepop.

I would not worry about my comments upsetting any Muslims boogiepop, I doubt very much that Allah allows the joy of videogames.

Oh, come on STE. This is such a weird post from you that I can't even tell if you're trolling or not. Anyways, it's not like some followers of Christianity haven't done anything wrong. None of them flew planes into buildings, but some Christians have done very bad things like the inquisition as well as using the bible to justify slavery. Some Christians from long ago will use their religion to justify massacres.

It's not the religion that does the bad things, but it's the extremist followers that do them. Every religion has it's fair share of violent fanatics whether it's Christianity, or Islam, or even some of the lesser known religions. I guess one of the reasons that some of the Middle East nations seem tyrannical is because they are more theocratic than other nations today. If the majority of followers in the Middle East are still Islam & the theocractic elements (like Shariah Law) are removed & replaced with conventional law, then the fanatics won't be as violent.

boogiepop
This hatchet was pretty much buried in the "useless info" thread, climaxing with some much needed Kumbayas. Blue Mary

Jump to Forum: