Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: STE C
Thread ID: 3208
Thread Info
There are 8 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3344 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
I HAVE RETURNED TO THE LIGHT
STE C
No I have not became a bible basher but I have recently rediscovered my love for Lightgun games since buying a Wii ( yes I know the Wii ones are motion sensor and not strickly lightgun games but its the closest we get now). I bought my Wii solely for the pleasure of being able to own Ghost Squad , Gunblade/La Machineguns and the ok but not great House Of The Dead Overkill and live in hope that more old Sega coin ops are released.

Enough of that but my point is the only next gen lightgun is the guncon 3 on the PS3 which I suspect will not see any more compatable games now that the Move is out. As fun and maybe crucial as motion sensor is ( I suspect the wide range of modern tvs LCD,Plasma,LED make it very tricky to design a multi purpose lightgun) I do not think motion sensor is as fun or accurate as a lightgun was. In fact it feels like the genre has took a step back.

Even arcade games now seem to use the cursor on screen system ref Lets Go Jungle & Deadstrom Pirates, although I suspect they work something like Operation Wolf with the controls on a motion gyroscope but they still feel a hell of a lot more responsive than the Wii or Move. I booted up my Saturn recently and still found Virtua Cop 2 to be a brilliant game and considerably more fun than using the Wii or Move. Same goes for House Of The Dead 2 & Confidential Mission on the DC. I guess for the Time Crisis PS1/2 fans the feeling would be the same ( calling Ninja * Ninja Assault* ) they seem more fun.

So I guess lightgun is dead ( genuine lightgun I mean ). What do guys think and also what are fave lightgun games. I am really passionate about this so come on chaps dont let me down lets have a good natter about it. And yes I know its a shame about Saturn HOTD it was ropey.

Oh check this link for a new A Sega lightgun shooter in the arcades ( but judging by the cursor on the screen it probably works via motion sensor) but it does look nice.

http://www.youtub...Ji3oAndBok
Edited by STE C on 20. March 2011 12:16

Loris Biaggi
I'm a real lightgun lover and i had a great time with Wii.
I agree with you, motion sensor is not the same feeling as a real lightgun.
The good (and the nintendo idea) about wiimote is to have everything in one controller, and this is really good for all other games, racing games, sport... but for shooters i really would have preferred to buy a real lightgun.

House of the Dead Overkill is a real masterpiece! It's one of my fav games on Wii.

I suggest you to give a try to Mad Dog Mc Cree trilogy... it sounds like crap, but i found it really fun!
I'm a fan of laser games and lightgun games, so you can easily understand how much i like a "laser lightgun" game Wink

Another great game is Dead Space Extraction, it's not an arcade, it's more a survival, but really good.
The two Resident Evil are nice too, and so House of the Dead 2&3 pack.

I don't know if there is some lightgun game on virtual console, but it would be nice to have some classics from nes

RiKo
good post STE Thumbs Up i miss light guns too. i had a gcon on PS1 and used to love Time Crisis 1, and i had HOTD2 on DC though that didnt last long because i got a 100hz TV so it would no longer work. i agree motion sensing is no substitute for a proper lightgun, hope they bring one out for 360 (i dont have PS3). the only place i can play gun games is in my local arcade though that costs a fortune so its not somethign i do much, and isnt the same when you cant play enough to master the game.
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
Good thread STE I always enjoyed playing light gun games. There are quite a few I missed out on though so I've been thinking recently about buying some more particularly for the PS2.

The Virtua Cop games on Saturn are still really good fun. I like the design of the Saturn light
gun, it looks good and is comfortable to use. It's a pity that there are so few light gun games for that system though. I'll probably check out House of the Dead though. Judging from videos I've seen it seems like a decent version.

Probably the light gun game(s) I played the most was the James Bond 007 pack for ZX Spectrum. The clay pigeon shooting game was particularly enjoyable. Other ones I liked a lot were Duck Hunt on the NES and Safari Hunt on the Master System.

My all time favourite gun shooting game though is The Maze of the Kings a Naomi game.

YouTube Video

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

RiKo
Maze of Kings looks good Merlin. its a shame it didnt come out on Dreamcast. it reminds me a lot of Jurassic Park light gun game -when you are travelling in the vehicle and have to shoot the dinosaurs chasing you.you would like Confidential Mission on DC thats Virtua Cop 3 in all but name. it uses the same system as V.Cop for highlighting the targets too.

i forgot to mention before but i used to really like Point Blank on PSX. good fun Smile
Edited by RiKo on 25. March 2011 21:31
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Kazuya_UK
Time Crisis 1/2 and Crisis Zone are my absolute faves but I love House of the Dead, especially HotD 2 though. Virtua Cop was another fave.

Still got my G-Con 1, and lightguns for the Dreamcast/Xbox, but alas they don't work on my HDTV... sniff:(

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
candycab
Im suprised Capcom hasnt released a rehash of the Point Blank series.

Best reason to date for owning the origional Guncon imho, I was never able to get one working with my PS cabinet :( never ripped all my hair out trying to get it to work either so its probably possible.

I had no idea there were gun games on the Spectrum, pretty interesting considering the hardware back then. lol closest we got back then I think was Crossbow on the C64.

Once in a while I bring the 3DO out just to revisit Twisted Smile and of course the Mad Dog Mcree series. Scripted or not with a decent 3DO Gun they are still a lot of fun to play and still challenging too. Some of the other 3DO Gun games were kinda fun but usually too hard from what Im remembering. I think I have them all but never spent a lot of time playing them if they were not upto Mad Dog standards/production values.

I have always wanted to pickup the Mad Dog Arcade hardware that was based on the PSX and check it out. Maybe one of these days that will happen when I decide to work on something again Smile
Edited by candycab on 26. March 2011 10:01
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

TF73
There is a lot of great lightgun games. My favourites are still Virtua Cop 1 + 2 on my Sega Saturn. Would be great to see them as a collection on Wii including Virtua Cop 3.
The original House of the Dead arcade perfect would not be a bad thing eitherSmile

Jump to Forum: