Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: boogiepop
Thread ID: 3183
Thread Info
There are 13 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 5767 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Made a site for the hell of it.
boogiepop
Always had the idea of doing reviews rolling around my head. Don't expect anything, really. It's still pretty rough as I haven't finished editing the first three reviews nor put up any screen shots yet. The format is still somewhat up in the air too as you'll probably see. Anyway, I'm doing them roughly in order of release. Should help to keep things in perspective.

http://segagenesi...s.webs.com

I'll repost when a lot of the grunt work is done but I thought I'd maybe get some input from you fellas.
Edited by boogiepop on 03. March 2011 02:23
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

Kazuya_UK
Good luck with the site bp - first off though, let me host it for you here! (if you want of course) It'll get rid of those nasty big ads on there and I can give you your own ftp account and login. Would be appreciated if you could put my google ads on there too, but they'd certainly be a lot smaller than the ones freewebs use. Smile

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
boogiepop
Kazuya_UK wrote:
Good luck with the site bp - first off though, let me host it for you here! (if you want of course) It'll get rid of those nasty big ads on there and I can give you your own ftp account and login. Would be appreciated if you could put my google ads on there too, but they'd certainly be a lot smaller than the ones freewebs use. Smile

Kaz

That's a very generous offer! Are you sure it wouldn't be a bother for you? I don't really know what it would entail on your end...

merlin
Nice idea Boogiepop. I'll be interested to see your future reviews. Have you thought about maybe including separate scores for graphics, sound, gameplay etc.?

I always enjoyed Space Harrier 2 on the Mega Drive but you're entitled to your opinion of course. Visually it looks impressive and there's some memorable music too. The difficulty level seems just right to me since despite the game's length the bosses aren't that difficult and you can easily earn quite a few extra lives in the bonus stages. There is a hidden options menu where you can change the difficulty. I can understand how some may find the game a bit too repetitive but I always loved it.

Anyway good luck with the site and keep us updated.
Edited by merlin on 03. March 2011 19:20

boogiepop
merlin wrote:
Nice idea Boogiepop. I'll be interested to see your future reviews. Have you thought about maybe including separate scores for graphics, sound, gameplay etc.?

I always enjoyed Space Harrier 2 on the Mega Drive but you're entitled to your opinion of course. Visually it looks impressive and there's some memorable music too. The difficulty level seems just right to me since despite the game's length the bosses aren't that difficult and you can easily earn quite a few extra lives in the bonus stages. There is a hidden options menu where you can change the difficulty. I can understand how some may find the game a bit too repetitive but I always loved it.

Anyway good luck with the site and keep us updated.

Actually, instead of giving separate scores, I considered giving none at all! I might actually like that best but I understand how most people wouldn't want to actually read all the reviews just to see my opinion on them. Thus the single overall score. Even then, I'm trying to make the numbers not mean "this is a perfect/bad game" but instead mean "this is how the game plays in a 21st century environment to 21st century people." I've been giving a thumbs up/ thumbs down after the review but I'm going to change that to something like a yes/no on whether or not I enjoyed the game. I'd like to have it act as a subjective tilt for those games that I recognize have aged poorly but still find enjoyable or those that have a high level of polish but feel are overrated.

And hey, if you want to give your opinion, I might want to hear it on the site! Smile I'd like the reviews to be more of a discussion with a couple other opinions immediately following the review. I'm not sure exactly how I'd implement this yet but you can see a draft of sorts on the Super Thunder Blade page.

I have to admit that the review needs to comment more on the music and sound effects and I will try to do so. I will also alter it to reflect the cheat code's existence. Before that though, you should see some screen shots. I just grabbed about thirty or so and will pick a half dozen to toss on the site. Should be there in a couple of hours.

And thanks for the code. Amusingly enough, I found it a few hours ago and replayed the game with auto-fire and easy difficulty. Decreased the frustration but didn't increase the enjoyment unfortunately. In any case, I always find it amusing how we seem to be polar opposites when it comes to appreciating retro games. Well, its score will probably rise by a bit after editing and I decide on the rating guidelines for good. I've actually got more to say but gotta run out the door in a minute so...

and... back!
I wanted to explain my gripes with the music a bit more. In general, I like the compositions overall though there are a couple that are downright ear-bleeding. I'll look up their titles if you'd like but I know one of them is heard when you fight the three headed turtle boss. But overall, good! The instrumentation though is pretty awful. If you run through the music test, you'll notice they use the same drum sounds throughout the game. The snare is fine, but the other sound's quality isn't so good and it loudly cuts through pretty much everything else. I personally find it grating.

It's a shame too, because I want to like the game. It's action-packed, it's colorful, the compositions themselves are good, etc. but there's so many little things that drag it down. The choppy frame rate and repetitive attack patterns for example.

Why the hell haven't I put all of this into the review yet?! Shrug
Edited by boogiepop on 03. March 2011 22:27

merlin
Thanks for the detailed response Boogiepop. I feel a bit bad that I caused you to write so much! Hope it didn't seem like I was criticizing. I think your rating system sounds perfectly fine and having separate scores for graphics, sound etc. doesn't really matter all that much. Yes I will try and post a few comments on your site in the future and hopefully a few others here will do the same.

After listening to the music in the sound test again I can see your point about the actual
quality of some of the sounds but I really like most of the tunes so it doesn't really bother
me. Harrier Saga, Reverce Infect, An Epitaph and Illusion are particularly good. Anyway good to see you've already added some screenshots and also that you're going to increase the score a little. Although I feel the game holds up pretty well these days I would still much rather play Space Harrier on the Saturn which is an awesome port of the arcade original.

Lol it does seem like we have perhaps a different taste in games at times but at least we still have a shared enthusiasm for great titles like Breakers, TSS, Money Idol Exchanger and Nightmare in the Dark. Anyone who can appreciate the wondrous Breakers must have good taste! Headbang
Edited by merlin on 04. March 2011 09:10

boogiepop
Haha, yeah man, that's true. It's good having someone to fight over those rare copies of NitD. Smile

And don't worry, you didn't come off as criticizing at all. I just wanted to talk about the games and you happened to be the victim, heh. I didn't mean to blab so much and am shocked you actually went into the sound test. I'd love to have played a sequel made during the Genny's good or twilight years. Maybe I should check out the saturn version or arcade original.

A big thanks for checking out the screen shots! I've still got to add some for the other games, polish up all the reviews, and spend a little more time with Thunder Blade but after all that comes Alex Kidd and Phantasy Star 2. I never realized (non-Sony) PS2 came out so early in the Mega Drive's life cycle. I wonder if they had tried to finish it for the Japanese launch but couldn't hack it in time and if they had, how that might have changed the history. Alas, I digress yet again...

Kazuya_UK
I could host it here no problem at all, and it could all be setup very quick. It's possible we could even add some sort of content management system to make it easier for you to post stuff etc... like blogs, and other stuff. Depends how you wanna do it but we can talk about it anyways. Really I don't mind at all, just maybe whack the google ads on there, I don't get many clicks on the ads or make much (if anything) off them, but it all helps.

If we can chat on msn or in the chatroom soon we can get it sorted out Smile

Kaz

boogiepop
Kazuya_UK wrote:
I could host it here no problem at all, and it could all be setup very quick. It's possible we could even add some sort of content management system to make it easier for you to post stuff etc... like blogs, and other stuff. Depends how you wanna do it but we can talk about it anyways. Really I don't mind at all, just maybe whack the google ads on there, I don't get many clicks on the ads or make much (if anything) off them, but it all helps.

If we can chat on msn or in the chatroom soon we can get it sorted out Smile

Kaz

Wow, thank you! Smile
Thought I might catch you at the chat today. I don't have MSN set up but if you have a good time to head into the chat room, we could definitely do that. I'm pretty free these days (sadly).

Kazuya_UK
Sorry I didn't make it to chat yesterday I was a bit busy! I might pop into chat this even after I finish work (after 6pm UK time). I'll jump into chat maybe 6.30-7 for a little while if you like, if ou are around that's cool, if not then don't worry! Smile

Kaz
Edited by Kazuya_UK on 07. March 2011 10:32

NeoGeoNinja
HEY BOOGIE...
had a glance over your reviews etc. Nice work man! Thumbs Up I'm looking forward to seeing how this all works out.

NICE CHOICES...
for your first 3 MD titles there. I know TWO of them are some of my all time faves: especially Super Thunder Blade. It's worth a little more than a 5/10 I think. Especially if Altered Beast gets a 7! I think Super Thunder Blade is worthy of, at MOST, a 7... but that's simply my opinion. I say this as I think it's superior to all the other SEGA 'scalar' type shooters on the MD - inc. the likes of ABurner 2, SHarrier 2 and Galaxy Force 2.

Oddly, I have always liked the momentum based handling and weight of the chopper. That coupled with a simple fire button 'does all' mechanic allowing you to concentrate on the action. I think the homing missiles are a nice touch too. I'm also a big fan of the fact that there is a 'brake' button allowing you to hover if you wish, allowing for more delicate negotiation of stalactites, pillars and flaming balls of death too!

The mid-level bosses are a nice touch as they break up the action a bit as does switching to an overhead perspective for a more traditional take on dealing with bosses 'shmup' style. Again, the 'brake' (and reverse in this case!) is invaluable, especially on the last boss!!

And, although a little 'scattered' in places, I am also a big fan of the music in this game. I find it somehow ambitious and grown up, especially for it's time. It felt really serious and sharp. I really like it and I always have since childhood. Back to my original discussion on music making games (and vice versa) and this game certainly has a bit to answer for too I definitely persevered with this game as an inexperienced youth due to enjoying the in-game music so much. My faves include: Title, Stage 1, Stage 4, Mid Boss and End Boss. Considering there's only around 8 track sin the WHOLE game that's nearly all of them Grin

HMMM...
maybe you could add all this I wrote as one of the 'personal' opinions on your site? Hmm

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

boogiepop
Kazuya_UK wrote:
Sorry I didn't make it to chat yesterday I was a bit busy! I might pop into chat this even after I finish work (after 6pm UK time). I'll jump into chat maybe 6.30-7 for a little while if you like, if ou are around that's cool, if not then don't worry! Smile

Kaz

Yeah, I think I can be around. Guess I'll see you then!

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
HEY BOOGIE...
had a glance over your reviews etc. Nice work man! Thumbs Up I'm looking forward to seeing how this all works out.

NICE CHOICES...
for your first 3 MD titles there. I know TWO of them are some of my all time faves: especially Super Thunder Blade. It's worth a little more than a 5/10 I think. Especially if Altered Beast gets a 7! I think Super Thunder Blade is worthy of, at MOST, a 7... but that's simply my opinion. I say this as I think it's superior to all the other SEGA 'scalar' type shooters on the MD - inc. the likes of ABurner 2, SHarrier 2 and Galaxy Force 2.

Oddly, I have always liked the momentum based handling and weight of the chopper. That coupled with a simple fire button 'does all' mechanic allowing you to concentrate on the action. I think the homing missiles are a nice touch too. I'm also a big fan of the fact that there is a 'brake' button allowing you to hover if you wish, allowing for more delicate negotiation of stalactites, pillars and flaming balls of death too!

The mid-level bosses are a nice touch as they break up the action a bit as does switching to an overhead perspective for a more traditional take on dealing with bosses 'shmup' style. Again, the 'brake' (and reverse in this case!) is invaluable, especially on the last boss!!

And, although a little 'scattered' in places, I am also a big fan of the music in this game. I find it somehow ambitious and grown up, especially for it's time. It felt really serious and sharp. I really like it and I always have since childhood. Back to my original discussion on music making games (and vice versa) and this game certainly has a bit to answer for too I definitely persevered with this game as an inexperienced youth due to enjoying the in-game music so much. My faves include: Title, Stage 1, Stage 4, Mid Boss and End Boss. Considering there's only around 8 track sin the WHOLE game that's nearly all of them Grin

HMMM...
maybe you could add all this I wrote as one of the 'personal' opinions on your site? Hmm

Ninja

You bring up some good points. The point about the "weight" of the chopper is actually in my rewrite; I haven't posted it because of the possibility of moving to Kaz's host as you can see above. I should definitely have waited until I had a completely finished product before posting because what people are reading is really the unedited versions.

As for the brake, I used it a little in the caves but probably not as much as I should have. Probably because I was too anxious to get the damn level over and done with, heh! The music... well, I'm actually removing mention of it in the review as I don't think it was noteworthy. Saves room. I can see liking it though.

After I post my rewrites (when you see it on the new site, they'll be done. I'm not going to make the same mistake twice, heh), I'd be more than happy to get your opinions posted up. If you could make comments on a small handful instead however, that would be preferable. My reasoning is that it would help prevent people from only posting comments on games they love which could otherwise lead to a really unbalanced comment system.

Oh, and as I said earlier to Merlin, the grades may be going up a little. That includes Altered Beast though, I really have a lot of fun with that one!

EDIT: I have to mention, I've got a little dilemma: Phantasy Star 2 came with a 100 something page guidebook yet I'm playing the ps2 sega genesis collection version. Surely, if something were mentioned in the instruction booklet, that fact should carry over into any reviews made about the game. Shouldn't it? After all, in-game tutorials were non-existent at the time. But then I'd have to hunt down the instruction booklets for ALL genesis games for the sake of fairness. Hmm...
Edited by boogiepop on 07. March 2011 12:31

boogiepop
UPDATE

Kaz set me up with a new site and I'm farting with it right now (huge thanks Kaz!). I've finished editing the Super Thunder Blade and Space Harrier 2 reviews, and also have completely finished a third one. Altered Beast, however, is going to have to cook for a little longer. This is because I haven't recently played it 2 player and I'm starting to think that's essential for a thorough review. Anyway, once the site has a name, layout, content, and whatnot, I'll post up a link.

Couple of things:

FIRST, if anyone is interested in contributing, please contact me. Basically, it would be a small commitment for the first set of reviews (Thunder Blade, Harrier, and Altered Beast). You'd spend some time replaying the games (2 player mode for Altered Beast as well) and then I'd send you my finished review. You then write comments after it, perhaps a paragraph or so, and then mail that back to me. After that, I'd send it to a second person, who would then add his comments (or hers), and that would get finalized. In the end, it will be posted to the site as a whole. Mail me and I can give you more specific details.

SECOND, I need to get some coop Altered Beast action going. If someone is interested in hitting up kaillera and hadoukening some demons this week, shoot me a pm.

Thanks guys, and when I have something to show, I'll let you know (might be a little while though). Until then...

Jump to Forum: