Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: merlin
Thread ID: 3157
Thread Info
There are 18 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 6338 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Fighting game bonus stages
merlin
I've always enjoyed the bonus stages in fighting games and thought I'd start a topic about them. It's nice in between a lot of intense fights to just relax for a few moments and detroy some barrels, a car etc. It just adds a little bit more variety. I was just wondering do others here also enjoy this feature in fighting games and if so which bonus stages do you think are the best or at least your favourites?

It's a shame that bonus stages went out of fashion. Not really sure why that happened but it's pretty cool that they included them recently in SSF4.

YouTube Video

The bonus stages in Warzard impress me the most. They look visually stunning and you don't just gain XP, Tabasa and Leo can actually gain more powerful weapons (the sun staff and elemental sword) if they completely detroy the statue in the first bonus stage. In the second stage set in a crypt you have to destroy six stone faces on the walls whilst avoiding spears. If you do it quickly enough you also have the chance to destroy a large stone slab that falls from the ceiling.

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/br1.png

i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/br2.png

Of course there are plenty of nice bonus stages in Neo Geo fighters too like slicing through the straw figures in Samurai Shodown. The World Heroes series has some great ones too especially facing a charging bull in WH2J and destroying the temple and also rescuing a woman in WH2. The best Neo Geo ones though IMO are in AOF2. Not only is there a choice of three different bonus stages but it's nice that they don't just give you extra points but actually make a difference to the gameplay too by extending your life bar or spirit gauge. The stage that's like a mini beat 'em up where you have to fight loads of thugs is particularly cool.

YouTube Video

Edited by merlin on 18. February 2011 17:12

RiKo
i am not that keen on bonus stages in fighting games in general but some are good fun. the car one in SF i find a bit mindless and boring. i remember the first time is saw it, it was good though and it was funny the first time too esp when that guy comes on and says 'my car!!'

i think i quite liked one of the ones in Samurai Shodown and yes the AOF ones are great too!

my fav bonus stage ever is the one in IK+ (Amiga) where you have to deflect the balls. its skillful and good fun too. the balls just keep getting faster and faster and you get some with tough bounces too

(skip forward to 1.30 in this video below for bonus stage with the bouncing balls)
YouTube Video

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
NeoStrayCat
To me, Bonus Stages are quite fun actually, other than that, there is actually a B.S. in the Sunsoft games where you fight Bonus-Kun (Galaxy Fight/Waku Waku 7) and Test-Kun (Astra Super Stars) in an actual battle.
card.exophase.com/1/712966.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
NeoGeoNinja
RiKo wrote:
...the car one in SF i find a bit mindless and boring. i remember the first time is saw it, it was good though and it was funny the first time too esp when that guy comes on and says 'my car!!'

HEHEHE...
that was Final Fight dude! I'll let you off, it was supposed to be SF '89 after all Grin

COOL THREAD MERLIN...
I'll think on and see if I can think of any cool ones. One thing's for sure though, I always found the 'Destroy the Satellite' Bonus Stages in the SFEX series to be complete 'WTF' material.

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

LIFE_IN_2D
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
RiKo wrote:
...the car one in SF i find a bit mindless and boring. i remember the first time is saw it, it was good though and it was funny the first time too esp when that guy comes on and says 'my car!!'

HEHEHE...
that was Final Fight dude! I'll let you off, it was supposed to be SF '89 after all Grin

COOL THREAD MERLIN...
I'll think on and see if I can think of any cool ones. One thing's for sure though, I always found the 'Destroy the Satellite' Bonus Stages in the SFEX series to be complete 'WTF' material.

Ninja

The guy originally says "Oh my God", but it was censored in America, like countless other things in Final fight.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 19. February 2011 00:59
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

boogiepop
Riko - Good call on International Karate+. I loved those bonus stages.

In general however, I'd have to say I dislike bonus stages. When I can accept a sudden interruption to destroy a car, that's fine. But when I'm not in that mood and I see that screen pop up, I get pissed. I think I'd rather have neither than both.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

NeoGeoNinja
RiKo wrote:

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
HEHEHE...

COOL THREAD MERLIN...

Ninja

LIFE_IN_2D wrote:
The guy originally says "Oh my God", but it was censored in America, like countless other things in Final fight.

LIKE BILLY?...
the guy who replaces, err... the guy? Hahaha!

Odd I now, but I actually PREFER the 'Oh. My Car!'... I find it more amusing Grin

Ninja

merlin
I think I slightly prefer the Final Fight version of the car smash RiKo since you get to smash
it with a large lead pipe and also it's funny when that guy comes on the screen. Never realised that what he said had been censored in the US version. Deflecting the balls in IK+ looks quite tricky.

I forgot about Bunus Kun in Waku Waku 7 good choice Stray. That's got to be the funniest one on the Neo Geo. I still need to try Astra Superstars. I checked out the satellite one on Youtube Ninja. Pretty cool.

The kind of bonus rounds I'm not as keen on are the ones where you have to press a button really fast like the arm wrestling in Fatal Fury. Not really what I would call fun and my fingers feel a bit sore afterwards.

There are some very amusing bonus stages in the 3D fighter Fighting Layer when you have to fight a shark, hawk and knight in armour.

I guess probably a lot of other people must have felt like you Boogiepop that the bonus rounds are a bit of an unwelcome interruption to the game. Personally I'd still like to see them make a comeback in today's fighting games.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

bojan4o
ah bonus stages well they should've include
try the bonus stage yes or not
but rather than smashing cars or hitting barrels would have been perfect if the introduce some other stuff like racing with the fighters in one lap and with bicycles but those small ones with 3 wheels and pushing the other fighters around punching them making super special attacks and all that while in 3 wheel bike

then would've been great if the fighters are set in a hole and you throw some cakes and pies to hit them(or 1000 other stuff which you can pic from)
or throwing a ball( a steel ball like the one of Chang Koehan) (like in the summer Olympics to see how far can it go but instead of drawn lines to tell how far it went there are other fighters standing there for you to be able to see that and you might hit them (the fighters)

or like in the nintenndo game duck(something) where you shoot ducks with your gun but instead of ducks you shoot fighters from that game and you must shoot 10 fighters to pass the bonus stage and if you miss some instead of the dog out of sudden rugal appears and laughs at you while he is holding the fighters that yuou missed
(remembering this game that dog was really irritating when i was loosing and laughing all the time i remember shooting at the dog at that given moment haha :lolSmile

actually this can be a really good games by them self or include 5 games of this kind in one game so you can choose (something like wii sports)

i shall recommend this idea to snk playmore but hmm the only thing is how can i contact them (i dont know Japanese or it doesnt matter)

they can make some money out of this but why just fighters why not all of their characters that would be crazy fun and to include some new characters and to include you to be able to make some characters

OK now i will stop i started writing about bonus stages but look at me where i came with this silly ideas i made some 5 word pages out of this post hehe bye now see ya
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

bojan4o
and yes i almost forgot arm wrestling is way better than car crashing or hitting barrels Pfft
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

NeoGeoNinja
I LIKE YOUR ENTHUSIASM...
Bojan and, in theory, those idea's sound great.

The truth is though (as BoogiePop has already mentioned) you don't want something that takes you so far out of the action. Racing, mini-games in between etc are just really impractical, as is the arm-wrestling really.

Car smashing, brick breaking etc are all good as they concentrate on the action of fighting, usually using you skills in the best possible way for destructive purposes.

ONE OF MY...
personal faves is the Basketball Parry in 3rd Strike. It's short, over quickly and VERY practical - as it just warms you up and gives you a taster/reminder of using the parry in the game. It's not the most exciting, granted, however, I find it the MOST useful.

Ninja

bojan4o
yea about that parrying in 3dstrike i never did realized what are you supposed to do there?

well they can make these as different games so you can choose from or like what kof syage is a completely new game with the characters you have been playing over and over again on your favourite fighting games

NeoGeoNinja
BOJAN, I FORGOT TO SAY...
again that the ideas were actually pretty cool (kart racing etc), NOT as bonus stages BUT as selectable or unlockable mini-games instead! Do you not think? SNKKart?? Shameless but awesome I'm sure! Iori in a go-kart: priceless.

Ninja

merlin
Some imaginative ideas there Bojan it was entertaining to read. Thumbs Up Yes I agree with Ninja maybe these could be like additional mini games included with a console version.

1983parrothead
What about some Bonus Stages in pre-SFII fighting games, including the one that introduced the concept: 1984 Karate Champ arcade?

bojan4o
yea at first i though like bonus stage but then while i was writing mini games came up to my mind but then while i was finishing why not as a whole games (something like what kof sky stage is or neo-geo shotting heroes)

merlin
Found this recently and thought it was pretty neat. This thread seems the appropriate place to post it.

YouTube Video

NeoGeoNinja
merlin wrote:
Found this recently and thought it was pretty neat. This thread seems the appropriate place to post it.

I STILL CAN'T...
comprehend how PPL manage to take certain gaming abilities to such high levels. I know it's tongue-in-cheek (and cool!) combo video, but seriously, it's almost like executing maths equations in gaming form > actual natural gaming ability. I'm always impressed!

Enjoyed the vid btw. Thanks for sharing Smile

Ninja

Jump to Forum: