Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: boogiepop
Thread ID: 3135
Thread Info
There are 9 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2475 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What's your philosophy on collecting?
boogiepop
What I mean is, when I decide I want to purchase a retro system, I do some serious research first. I look at the price of games, I try them out before I buy, and most importantly, I discern between the games I really like and those I kinda sorta like and make purchasing decisions based on that (and price). I generally do not just try and amass the largest collection I can (Pokemon - gotta get em all!) nor do I try to "specialize" in sealed or mint games. If I get something I don't really like, I don't like displaying it on a shelf with those games I do and generally try to purge myself of it as soon as possible.

What I guess I'm saying is that for me, the collection can kinda be a representation of my tastes and I therefore want to have it as organized as closely as possible to that goal. I realize that others look at things quite differently, so I'd like to hear their own opinions on and/or justifications for their collecting habits.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

reelmojo
As far as researching systems, I'm exactly the same. If all the games I want for a system are going to cost an arm and a leg, then I'll put off buying the system until I feel I'm at a place financially where that's okay. That's the reason I don't own an MVS yet!

I'm a collector, definitely, but first and foremost I'm a gamer. So, much like what you said, I don't want to collect bad games just to have more games. If I'm never gonna play it, most likely I'm never gonna buy it. There are occasional exceptions, but mostly just to complete certain specialized collections. For example, I'll eventually own Knuckles' Chaotix even though I don't like it just to complete my Genesis Sonic collection.

NeoGeoNinja
I TOO AM THE SAME...
and HEAVILY research a system, all the costs involved and any potential complications down the line that may occur.

MY COLLECTING PHILOSOPHY...
dare I say it, 'evolves' over time. One thing is ALWAYS certain: I don't have any games that I dislike in my collection. However, and this IS odd - there are sometimes games in my collection that I grow to dislike over time. However, I usually leave them in 'there' for a while, and if I still feel the same way, remove them for sale.

I HAVE ALWAYS...
collected games that I want and most importantly games that I WANT to play. Not to get it confused, but at the tender age of 29, I am now seeing games in my collection that I have ALWAYS had the best intentions of finishing, but I fear this may never happen. Times have changed, tastes have changed, and the motivation to play and finish certain titles has diminished over years! The respect for said titles (usually) still remains.

A good example is Twilight Princess on the Gamecube. I put around 40+ hours into that game upon release and I adored it! However, I got side-tracked at some point down the line and my best intentions were side-lined, I ALWAYS planned to go back sooner rather than later to finish such an epic game, however 3-4 years later and it's STILL where I left it! I doubt I'll ever finish it BUT I remain optimistic. So where do you draw the line? I'm at a point where I now favour less committed Arcade-style games over big, involving story driven titles that absorb your life!

I'M CERTAINLY NOT...
a collector who would aim to accumulate any old games because they were cheap - and I see that quite often. PPL bragging about COMPLETE collections for consoles like the PAL Saturn and PAL Dreamcast. Trust me, imo, that's NOTHING to brag about!

I'd like to say that I don't collect for the 'sake' of collecting, but it's not true - as in some instances it is for the sake of it. Like SNK titles for example. I can't place it BUT I like to own as many of the ports as possible across as many platforms as possible! Surely, if you have the AES version you need NO other, but still I like to play the games across as many platforms as possible. Weird huh? I think I simply like the variations of the games I love most - whether they be positive or negative! It's still unnecessary though... or is it?

I guess, as Boogie said, a collection is something personal, defining even and it speaks out about and expresses certain elements of the collector as an individual. I guess if you look hard enough you may come to learn quite a lot about a person Smile

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

tony starks
NeoGeoNinja wrote:

I HAVE ALWAYS...
collected games that I want and most importantly games that I WANT to play. Not to get it confused, but at the tender age of 29, I am now seeing games in my collection that I have ALWAYS had the best intentions of finishing, but I fear this may never happen. Times have changed, tastes have changed, and the motivation to play and finish certain titles has diminished over years! The respect for said titles (usually) still remains.

A good example is Twilight Princess on the Gamecube. I put around 40+ hours into that game upon release and I adored it! However, I got side-tracked at some point down the line and my best intentions were side-lined, I ALWAYS planned to go back sooner rather than later to finish such an epic game, however 3-4 years later and it's STILL where I left it! I doubt I'll ever finish it BUT I remain optimistic. So where do you draw the line? I'm at a point where I now favour less committed Arcade-style games over big, involving story driven titles that absorb your life!

Ninja

I agree 100%

Seriously collections can go to hell imo. Double edged sword. The more games you have, the less likely it will be that you will complete them all, so then really what is the point. Priorities change, intending to do something and doing something are two different things. I think this is the biggest trap when it comes to people collecting games, they get sucked into like a hyperbolic chamber where time stands still and they will always have time to complete that game they started playing last month or last year. Reality check, time waits for no one. My philosophy is this if you ain't going to complete a game anytime in the next couple of years, get rid of it as you probably never will.

Rant over.

Starks out.
Starks is always out

LIFE_IN_2D
Mine is simple...

I don't buy anything that I won't play.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

kgenthe
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:
Mine is simple...

I don't buy anything that I won't play.

I love this. I used to buy any game that wasn't a sports game that I thought I might play someday, was in good condition, or anything I thought might be "valuable" some day. I was going for a complete 32x collection, and was nearly there.

But about a year ago something changed. I had 450 games, and they sat in a closet. Sure they looked impressive, but I'm not the kind of guy that wants to impress people with my stuff. I started unloading anything I didn't like on eBay. Including high profile stuff like Worms on the Jaguar, Pitfall on the 32x, and Earthbound on the SNES.

I'm down about a hundred games and couldn't be happier. Selecting a new game to play is far less intimidating than it used to be, as my collection is smaller. It's also saving me money, as games no longer have to be "mint" and "complete" for me to buy them. Needless to say, I'm playing a LOT more games now. I'm a gamer, not a collector.

Please note, there is NOTHING wrong with collecting games. Just as there is nothing wrong with collecting cars, stamps, WWII memorabilia.

http://www.implantgames.com
merlin
My attitude to collecting is pretty much the same as everyone else who posted so far. I tend to do research before buying games not just videos and reviews but also emulating the games where possible. I really wouldn't want to own any games I don't actually enjoy. Sometimes in the past though I didn't always do enough research and made some purchases I regretted later. If I did acquire any games like that I would get rid of them for sure.

It's nice to have a smaller collection but with a high average quality of games. I also like to
restrict the number of consoles I own and buy games for which is why I won't be buying a Mega Drive again or getting a DC. I just haven't got time to play loads and loads of games on many different systems.

When it comes to the condition of games I'm not all that bothered about them being in mint condition or having spine cards, just as long as they're in reasonably good shape. I would never contemplate buying any game that has a box or manual missing though. That would really bother me.

Bullet
As far as buying a new retro system, yeah I do a lot of research as well. With the only time being when I got my cab, when I found out this arcade owner was getting rid of all his cabs, I just asked about a neo cab and when he checked his stock and said he had one, I knew I had to have it.

When I was young, I didn't so much as collect as I did play anything I could get my hands on. I don't think I really started to collect games til the PS1/Saturn era. I traded games about like crazy when it came to 8 and 16 bit systems, more just to play them and not worry about condition etc. The PS1/ Saturn era was also when I started importing games from online retailers or ordering from games mags that had import stores. I had always bought game magazines and was aware of the neo and the AES hardware a friend of mine at school had one and I was blow away that he had such an expensive system. It was honestly the one time I think I was actually jealous of something someone had lol. He never had any of the KOF games, but I knew of them and other than what I played at the arcade, it wasn't until I started importing that I got KOF into my home. I played Sam Sho, Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury on the SNES sure, I was a fighting game fan even back then, but they were mere salad before the main course.

I think I can blame SNK for my collection and collecting habits. I never would have even dreamed of buying the same game multiple times and in multiple formats, if it wasn't for the fact that I love their games so much. They are the only company that I buy games I'm not 100% in love with because I want to support their releases and them as a company.
Now when I buy a game like Bayonetta or whatever, I'll buy it for the system I enjoy the most and leave it at that, I don't buy it for PS3 and 360 and I won't import it and buy the North American release as well, but I do that for SNK or even buy the collections on Wii, PS2 and PSP and in some small way I hope it helps show that there are still fans who want their products.

I collect games, sure, but I also sell them off when I'm not playing them. when the Dreamcast hit I had a good job or at least a steady one when the system came out and had access to it and games at my whim and within its life I had about 300 games for it. I just bought them and imported like crazy buying games 2 or 3 at a time, then one day about 6 or 7 years ago (the xbox and ps2 were around) I realized I wasn't playing the games, so I sold most of them off. I was never gonna play Pen Pen or whatever again lol I kept the games like Jojo, KOF, CVS etc just what I was playing.

That's how I approach collecting now, for the experience, what are the games I like and what do I want to play. For retro systems like the NES if I don't actually have to own it and its on Wii Virtual Console I'm more than happy to play it there and it takes up zero space in my place. Now for Games like Bionic Commando, Metal Storm, Shadow of the Ninja , Ninja Gaiden etc, I own and have boxed copies off, but I only have the games I like and want to play and don't care if they have a market value or not.

I still collect games and import, but since I'm not technically working... well, working on my career, but don't have a job is the best way to put it. I'm not getting paid for my work just yet, so it's much less and I'm more selective in what I buy. That didn't stop me from selling some old toys on ebay to get Virtual On Force lol
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

STE C
Collecting I am sure you will all agree is very addictive and its easy to get carried away and buy certain games you know are average but really want them for the sake of it, I have only done this a few times with the likes of certain Dreamcast or Megadrive games but have never paid a lot say under 8 quid. I tend to collect games for systems I loved in my younger years that I could not afford at the time, now I can its kinda a smug feeling that gives me a strange feeling of power.

I play all the games I buy although some I only play once and may never go back to and will not buy a loose or boxless game unless its an MVS cart. If I was to walk away from ever buying a next gen game again I suspect like many of us here ( defo Ninja's collection) we would probably have enough games to actually play and enjoy for the next 20 years if not our remaining lifetime.

One life is never enough my friends.Shrug
Edited by STE C on 10. February 2011 19:19

Jump to Forum: