Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: 1983parrothead
Thread ID: 3130
Thread Info
There are 26 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7763 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Favorite pre-Neo Geo SNK & ADK games
1983parrothead
There are plenty of pre-Neo Geo SNK games to choose from, not only arcade games, but also home console exclusives. Here is a helpful list of SNK's history of video game titles that also includes their pre-Neo Geo games. Tell everyone what makes them your favorites. And by the way, for those of you who live in the U. S. and enjoy watching Super Bowl games, go play Touch Down Fever. It's probably the best American (or gridiron) football NES game not by Tecmo in most opinions of many.

http://www.jap-sa...NK/SNK.htm
Edited by 1983parrothead on 29. August 2011 05:03

IDCHAPPY
Ikari Warriors or POW for me, remember them so well in the arcades and IW on the home computers Smile

NeoGeoNinja
I'M WITH IDCHAPPY...
oon this one. The only pre-NEO•GEO games I have ever had any interaction with is the original Ikari Warriors. I played it A LOT on the NES when it came out (a friend had it) and I also played years later on the Amiga 500.

SNK's 'Commando' if you will. Not as good but still a great and fun game nonetheless Smile

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

STE C
SNK were certainly not a major player until about 91 in my opinion but did make some half decent games in the 80s but not in the same leage as Konami, Sega, Taito , Capcom ect. I suppose Ikari Warriors would be the one I would choose ( I bet arcade operators loved them sticks probably having to rewire cabs every time they changed a pcb but correct me if im wrong).

Ikari 3 was alright as well a nice and unusual beat em up.

Will
I'd say go for "P.O.W. Prisoners of War", "Prehistoric Isle in 1930s", "Chopper" and "Guerrilla War". Most of those old arcade games have the war soldier theme in common especially the Ikari Warriors trilogy. In "Prisoners of War" I wasn't sure whether the enemy you fight is related to the terrorists in Ikari Warriors or if they are the Viet Cong to appear later in "NAM-1975" or perhaps its they are unrelated to any of the other games, just a thought.

merlin
There are still some early SNK titles I've yet to play but judging by the ones I have tried I'd
say SNK were actually a pretty decent arcade developer prior to the release of the Neo Geo
hardware. My favourite is Prehistoric Isle in 1930. A very good shoot 'em up. I like the
prehistoric setting and especially the large dinosaur bosses. Also being able to move your
firing 'pod' into different positions giving you a choice of a wide variety of different attacks
is a pretty neat idea.
Edited by merlin on 06. February 2011 21:27

reelmojo
SNK Arcade Classics 0

Looks like we'll all be able to make much more informed decisions on this topic soon! Some of the games in that trailer look pretty cool.

boogiepop
That looks pretty cool. I'll give Playmore one thing, they sure know how to whore out their IPs.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

NeoGeoNinja
reelmojo wrote:
Looks like we'll all be able to make much more informed decisions on this topic soon!

ABSOLUTELY 'MOJO...
in fact I can't wait to get hol... oh wait. It's PSP only Roll Eyes

Nicely done. And it would have looked nice alongside my VOLUME ONE on the Wii (or PS2!)...

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 08. February 2011 01:05

reelmojo
I guess I should have said "PSP owners" instead of "we all." Whoops! I understand canceling the reportedly planned PS2 version, but why wouldn't this be on the Wii if Vol. 1 was? That's odd. I guess it's clear that this won't sell as well as volume 1 did, so if volume 1 didn't do very well it's probably not worth it for SNKP. Still kind of a bummer though.

bojan4o
mechanized attack the two tank games etc..
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

1983parrothead
I don't see any pre-Neo Geo ADK games like Champion Baseball, Crush Roller, Time Soldier nor Gang Wars. Not even Vanguard 1 is included, because that was probably the earliest known SNK game, because it was ported to the Atari 2600 and was favorable to Atari 2600 users.

For Vanguard 2, I played that and it was challenging at first, but after learning how it should be played without looking it up online, I noticed that it is like Namco's Xevious in "All-Range Mode", because of shooting airborne enemies while dropping bombs on enough parts of the base to completely destroy it. The difficulty feel of it is nearly equal to the helicopter mission in the SNES Pilotwings, where you must successfully destroy each target while avoiding fast-paced, "one hit, you're destroyed" bullets.

But while SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 included some secret games like World Heroes 1 for example, SNK Playmore might have included some secret games in Vol. 0.
Edited by 1983parrothead on 09. February 2011 07:32

1983parrothead
*bump*

Anyone remember SNK’s action RPG classic, Crystalis? It basically takes everything that made Nintendo's original Legend of Zelda for the FDS and NES so good, and makes it exponentially better.

boogiepop
1983parrothead wrote:
*bump*

Anyone remember SNK’s action RPG classic, Crystalis? It basically takes everything that made Nintendo's original Legend of Zelda for the FDS and NES so good, and makes it exponentially better.

Yeah, we actually had that as game of the week once long ago. I've only played it a bit myself but I really liked what I saw. Really going to have to sink my teeth into it one of these days.

I'm ashamed to say I'm very unknowledgeable about pre-neo snk games. I've always been curious about stuff like "Athena"
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

1983parrothead
*bump*

Here are some good playthroughs of pre-Neo Geo SNK and ADK games uploaded by Replay Burners:

Chopper I (SNK, arcade-only, 1988)

YouTube Video

Gang Wars (ADK, arcade-only, 1989)

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

And in these two lists below, the NES and GBC versions of SNK's Crystalis were mentioned:

http://www.racket...games.html

http://www.racket...games.html
Edited by 1983parrothead on 31. July 2011 09:12

NeoGeoNinja
KOUKUU KIHEI MONOGATARI...
Heh, Chopper 1, actually looks pretty decent me thinks - in terms of gameplay, looks/gfx and music/sfx too! Shame it was an arcade only release.

As for Gang Wars? Graphically it looks nice enough, but sadly, it looks as though it plays like a complete turd. Playing as the 2P character (Jackie) looks more 'tolerable'... but that's not saying much here. Playing as the 1P character (Mike) looks like pure torture! Shock

Cheers for the vids Smile

Ninja

Murikov
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
As for Gang Wars? Graphically it looks nice enough, but sadly, it looks as though it plays like a complete turd. Playing as the 2P character (Jackie) looks more 'tolerable'... but that's not saying much here. Playing as the 1P character (Mike) looks like pure torture!

Although it looks similar to it's infamous cousin Ninja Combat (*frozen in shock*), Gang Wars is head and shoulders better. The gameplay may look stiff and ridiculous by modern standards, but thanks to it's cheesy artwork and dialogs, long range of weapons, VERY enjoyable Co-op mode and even a Level-Up feature, it's really worth a playthrough or two. This review should explain it more detailed.

I don't know why ADK didn't produce such a solid game during the early release of the Neo Geo, instead creating such a shit as Ninja Combat is. Shock
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

NeoGeoNinja
Murikov wrote:
Although it looks similar to it's infamous cousin Ninja Combat (*frozen in shock*), Gang Wars is head and shoulders better. The gameplay may look stiff and ridiculous by modern standards, but thanks to it's cheesy artwork and dialogs, long range of weapons, VERY enjoyable Co-op mode and even a Level-Up feature, it's really worth a playthrough or two. This review should explain it more detailed.

OK...
cheers for the heads up. Being arcade only though means that I may never play this, so it's all academic I guess.

Murikov wrote:
I don't know why ADK didn't produce such a solid game during the early release of the Neo Geo, instead creating such a shit as Ninja Combat is. Shock

INDEED...
Ninja Combat is pure, unadulterated GASH!

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 01. August 2011 16:10

NEO-GEO man
Nothing wrong with Ninja Combat, its a great game, and i quite like it alot.

NeoGeoNinja
NEO-GEO man wrote:
Nothing wrong with Ninja Combat, its a great game, and i quite like it alot.

I GENUINELY...
cannot tell if you're being serious or not? Is that sarcasm?? Hmm

Ninja

Jump to Forum: