Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: CrazyDiamond
Thread ID: 3112
Thread Info
There are 65 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 25596 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
The worst game box arts ever
CrazyDiamond
There are many games that we think are good and bad, but no matter how good or bad a game is, that doesn't mean it won't have any poor box art. When I think of poor game box art, these are some of the ones that come to mind:

img204.imageshack.us/img204/7922/56344129030front.jpg
I shouldn't have to test everyone's knowledge about Mega Man. It's a great series, and it's earned its place in history, but this cover for the Blue Bomber's very first adventure, GOD! For pete's sake! Do you really expect me to believe that's Mega Man?! This 50 year old man in a halloween shop-esque costume with some oversized pistol?! That's not Mega Man! Just some dope. And what's with the palm trees in the background?

img541.imageshack.us/img541/8854/58856740333front.jpg
Phalanx for the Super Nintendo. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who had a "WTF?" feeling when they first saw this game's cover. Look at this. This is a space shooter game, and the cover features an old fat dude playing a banjo with a spaceship in the background. Who's idea was this? "Oh hey! Let's put a guy playing a banjo on the cover with a spaceship in the background!" And this cover art is the sole reason this game is so infamous! I'm not even sure if most of the people who saw the cover have actually played the game, which is sad, because I've played it, and it's a pretty decent shooter. And it had no chance just because of its cover! What the heck were they smoking?

img546.imageshack.us/img546/1750/58615362464front.jpg
*sigh* Where to begin with this one.... Well, it's a guy dressed up in army fatigues, holding an uzi, and trying to look threatening, but his face doesn't look threatening at all, and he looks more like he has to go to the bathroom and can't hold it in. Also, when I was a kid and I first saw this cover, it made me think of Joe Pesci in Home Alone for some reason. Not sure why, nor do I care.
Edited by CrazyDiamond on 27. January 2011 05:26

GeeseTheDuck
www.hardcoregaming101.net/athena/psychosoldier.jpg
... Should be a worthy contender, especially considering how the game itself looks in comparison.
Edited by GeeseTheDuck on 26. January 2011 17:49

http://www.youtube.com/user/VoidAvesta
Murikov
Haha, these are all (in)famous ones! LOL Phalanx itself is pretty good, I'm sure the cover was only to attract some potential buyers who were expecting a farming simulation, lol.

I never could understand Western pictorial representations of Japanese cover arts, even up to today there are still frightening examples.

But this is still my long-time favorite/feared one!

img826.imageshack.us/img826/7651/bomberman.jpg
Edited by Murikov on 26. January 2011 19:38
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

CrazyDiamond
LMAO, those Psycho Soldier and Bomberman ones are priceless! I just thought of two more:

img6.imageshack.us/img6/6250/56344258990front.jpg
This is the cover for the european version of Mega Man 2. Not only does the guy that's supposed to represent Mega Man look nothing like the actual Mega Man either, but his mega buster is shaped like a bowling pin, and there are these things below him which I guess one is supposed to be the giant fish from Bubble Man's level, but it looks nothing like it, a dragon, which is presumably the mecha dragon from Dr. Wily's castle level 1, but it looks nothing like it does in the actual game, plus it's the wrong color, and there's this shadowy guy I don't even recognize. Plus there's this cliff behind him with a head sticking out of one part of it. Don't know what the heck that is about.

img98.imageshack.us/img98/7364/19845428002front.jpg
The cover for the very first Resident Evil. This cover is so bad. For one thing, the guy looks nothing like any of the characters in the actual game, and he looks like a deranged psychopath who's about to go postal and go on a major homicide. Plus he's so crazy he probably doesn't even notice the spiders behind him who are about to pwn his sorry ass. And what's going on above him? I don't know if that's the ceiling of the room he's standing in, or if it's some kind of hallucination or some psychedelic drug experience or something. And why are there spiders attacking him instead of zombies? I know that one of the enemies in the game is a giant spider, but the main villains are zombies for pete's sake!
Edited by CrazyDiamond on 29. January 2011 02:49

marktheshark
image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/7/587607_46979_front.jpg

Not only do the ninjas in the boxart look nothing like the ninjas in the game, but the kunoichi on the box looks completely lame.

image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/4/587594_58217_front.jpg

Come on now, is that guy wearing red spandex? Seriously? Also, is it just me or does the dragon & the bat on the right look ridiculously tiny?

image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/9/587209_49864_front.jpg

Hey look it's that guy from the North American Rygar boxart. At least he has a slightly better fashion sense. Too bad some monsters are behind him ready to attack, I was wondering what happened to him.

image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/3/563513_29067_front.jpg

Ewwwwwwwww.

image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/5/588815_40471_front.jpg

Not too bad, but this art pales a lot in comparison to the JPN boxart.

Raiken
I always thought the US cover for B.O.B. was neat.

img20.imageshack.us/img20/862/58603856950front.jpg

But I dunno about the Japanese one.

img832.imageshack.us/img832/7333/5860383002front.jpg

Why add Space Funky to the title? Did they think that was clever?
Edited by Raiken on 27. January 2011 03:21

CrazyDiamond
img823.imageshack.us/img823/9022/rivalturf.jpg
These guys think they're so tough and so bad ass, but they look more like two lost New Kids On The Block. If these two had an encounter with real gang bangers, they'd probably get their ass kicked. Wussies
Edited by CrazyDiamond on 27. January 2011 03:33

LIFE_IN_2D
CrazyDiamond wrote:
img823.imageshack.us/img823/9022/rivalturf.jpg
These guys think they're so tough and so bad ass, but they look more like two lost New Kids On The Block. If these two had an encounter with real gang bangers, they'd probably get their ass kicked. Wussies

Hahahaha. They look like they get their lunch money taken everyday at school.

www.gifgratis.net/immagini/PS2/S/Super_Bust_A_Move_2_Ps2.jpg

^In one word. Disgusting. An ugly, fat baby with a bloody spit bubble. BLECH.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

CrazyDiamond
I forgot about that one. Yeah, that is disgusting! God, it's making me sick just looking at it! Oh, get a load of these!

img11.imageshack.us/img11/658/950888108123frontx.jpg
Oh God, I can't stop laughing. These babies' parents must not be raising them properly, because they look like they're fucked up on an illegal substance. These babies "Party" too hard.

img88.imageshack.us/img88/9113/58328152647front.jpg
Uhhhh.... Ummmm..... I, uh.... I'm at a loss for words with this one. I don't know what to say. I can say this though:It looks like an amateur photoshop edit.
Edited by CrazyDiamond on 27. January 2011 05:09

AngelaAsakura
I'm surprised that no one's posted this yet:

www.mobygames.com/images/covers/large/1155560371-00.jpg

UGH!

farm6.staticflickr.com/5160/7182649455_b7024d0591.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/AngelaAsakura/
NeoGeoNinja
SOME GREAT COVERS HERE GUYS...
Hahahaha! Keep up the good work Thumbs Up

I will definitely try and add some myself upon giving it some more thought. However, just to address a couple of the inclusions...

@ANGELA
Yeah. That SF2 one is quite bad, however, EVERYONE was seeing that image constantly back in the day and I think we are all completely desensitized to it now. Plus that art was synonymous with what was then considered the best game ever! It actually was at that time though! TO THIS DAY THOUGH... I still joke about how that is the ONLY time where you will see Ryu is such an 'pwned' state. What were Capcom thinking? Guess they weren't to know how big the game would be in the West so I guess it made sense to push some of the other characters eh? TO BE HONEST... the SF2Turbo artwork wasn't much better either BUT still better than SF2's Smile

@CRAZY D
My friend, you have had me doubled over in laughter at some of those descriptions! Keep it up! Very funny indeed. However, regarding the REvil cover: I'm actually quite fond of that artwork. I think it's pretty cool AND pretty obvious that it's meant to be Chris in a somewhat delirious state. There ARE plenty of spiders etc to fight in the outhouse and if you concentrate you'll realise that the 'roof' is a montage of different (scary?) faces... Zombies, Eyes etc.

On the flip side I always thought this one was lame myself:
www.top-ten-games.com/Images/Sony/Ps1/5/boxscan.jpg
It's definitely that sh*tty font/logo that kills it for me...

And, whoever posted the UNSquadron art (not checking back, sorry!), I really like that art. I think it's quite cool. The Area88 art is cooler but just 'mangafies' the game as a whole, which is unnecessary really, as the game could have pulled off being 'seriously cool'.

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

hitorkori
GeeseTheDuck wrote:
www.hardcoregaming101.net/athena/psychosoldier.jpg
... Should be a worthy contender, especially considering how the game itself looks in comparison.

i use to own that it was good too ahhhh the good old speccy days imagine/ocean/mastrtronicWait

bojan4o
i dont get why psycho soldier and crystalis are put in this one cuz they look quite good
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

priest
bojan4o wrote:
i dont get why psycho soldier and crystalis are put in this one cuz they look quite good

I guess it´s all a matter of different taste, I can agree with you that Psycho soldier doesn´t qualify for this thread. I played this a lot on my C64 in my youth, if anyone is interested. The Imagine / Ocean loading tune is a classicMusic

YouTube Video

Edited by priest on 27. January 2011 19:19
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
GeeseTheDuck
I dunno...
Pink haired School girl shooting random goons with energy balls to j-pop
=
Intergalactic amazon-ish woman fighting a giant bee?

That's what I'd call fake advertising.
It just doesn't add up with what you get once you turn on the game at all.
The art itself isn't too bad, but I'd say the radical difference from what you see and what you get does qualify it as a 'bad' cover.
Nobody specified that the only thing rated was the quality of the drawing.
I personally think that how good it is at reflecting the game's atmosphere is just as important.
Edited by GeeseTheDuck on 27. January 2011 20:30

http://www.youtube.com/user/VoidAvesta
Murikov
I lol'd so much about the Karnaaj Rally cover, the guy on it just looks like Ben Stiller on coke who's been too long in the sun! LOL

I've found another one that struck me like a lighting, this one IS the absolute climax of all bad box arts:

skateandannoy.com/aa-sna-uploads/2009/03/metrocross1.jpg
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

priest
GeeseTheDuck wrote:
I dunno...
Pink haired School girl shooting random goons with energy balls to j-pop
=
Intergalactic amazon-ish woman fighting a giant bee?

That's what I'd call fake advertising.
It just doesn't add up with what you get once you turn on the game at all.
The art itself isn't too bad, but I'd say the radical difference from what you see and what you get does qualify it as a 'bad' cover.
Nobody specified that the only thing rated was the quality of the drawing.
I personally think that how good it is at reflecting the game's atmosphere is just as important.

You must understand when this game "Psycho soldier" was released during the eighties, this that you choose to call "fake advertising" were used on each and every game (more or less).

If all of us look back at the games we played back then, how many games were really 100% true to the cover?

...And Psycho soldier contained enemy bee soldiers, fact!
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
NeoGeoNinja
JUST THOUGHT OF...
another Street Fighter cover that made me cringe... hard.

CLICK ON THE IMAGE... to enlarge it Wink

www.reflectonreality.com/images/ps1dvd/sfa1dvd.jpg

Yeah. Not nice... Thumbs Down

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

STE C
Yeah I recall that shocker when I bought it in 96, a truly appalling example of art with Ken looking like he has pulled a muscle, even CV+G ran a column about how bad it was compared to the Jap artwork which they showed side by side. It defies belief how people get paid for that drawing that kind of shite. Charlie looks like a tramp waving a knife because he is scared you will steal his special brew.

In fact check any Turbografix 16 boxes ( the US Pc Engine) to see shocking stuff , no wonder the console bombed , real shame as it was a great console and many of the Jap boxes are very nice. God bless America.
Edited by STE C on 28. January 2011 12:03

reelmojo
I'm willing to give most covers from the '70s and '80s the benefit of the doubt but...

www.1up.com/media/03/0/1/7/sm/242.jpg

...seriously? Seriously!?

Jump to Forum: