Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: marktheshark
Thread ID: 3106
Thread Info
There are 9 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3730 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What are some good GBA games to get?
marktheshark
Just a little earlier, I managed to get a Gameboy Player for the Gamecube from Gamestop for only $10 & I'm pretty interested in the GBA again.

What I have right now:

Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Boxing Fever
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Final Fight One
Game & Watch Gallery 4
Hot Wheels: All Out
Iridion 3D
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Pac-Man Collection
Pokemon Emerald
Pokemon Pinball Ruby & Sapphire
Pokemon Ruby
Sonic Advance 2
Sonic Advance 3
Star Wars: The New Droid Army
Super Mario Advance
Super Mario Advance 2
Super Mario Advance 4
Wario Land 4
WarioWare: Mega Microgame$
Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Eternal Duelist Soul

Games I might get in the near future:

Iridion II
Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship 2006

I almost forgot. NO PORTS. Remakes are allowed though. Only reason I have some ports is because I got them before I decided not to get anymore.
Edited by marktheshark on 23. January 2011 07:38

STE C
Mark I really recommend Konami arcade hits as it has Yie Ar Kung Fu , Green Beret ect , it should not cost you to much and is well worth getting just so you can see how fighting games are hugely influenced by Yie Ar a game that still plays very weell.

NeoGeoNinja
NO PORTS HUH?...
What is the reasoning behind this choice Mark? Some of the great games for the GBA are ports I guess.

Anyway, as for some GBA recommendations: the GBA is my FAVE handheld after the NGPC as it's library overall is amazing! It just has quality games oozing out of it's own face!!

Here is a list of MY small collection. I always wanted to build on it but unfortunately, nowadays, have no real use for handhelds:(

Ninja Cop HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Metal Slug Advance RECOMMENDED
Gunstar Future Heroes RECOMMENDED
Metroid Fusion RECOMMENDED
CastleVania (NES)
Castlevania COTMoon RECOMMENDED
Castlevania HODissonance POSSIBLY? RECOMMENDED
Castlevania AOSorrow RECOMMENDED
Zelda: Minish Cap RECOMMENDED
Zelda: Link to the Past
Final Fight One RECOMMENDED
Ghouls & Ghosts
SFAlpha 3
SSF2T Remix RECOMMENDED
Guilty Gear X Advance POSSIBLY? RECOMMENDED
King of Fighters EX
King of Fighters EX2 POSSIBLY? RECOMMENDED

NINJA COP...
comes as my MOST recommended title. I am a HUGE fan of the age old 2D Shinobi series across SMS, GG, MD/GEN etc and this is as close to a TRUE spiritual successor as you'll ever get. The game is simply awesome and is easily my most played GBA game. I think the US version is much cheaper as the UK release is now a collectible I think? The US release was called 'Ninja 5-O'. Same game though.

MY RECOMMENDED TITLES...
are fantastic games for the GBA I would recommend to almost anyone. I I didn't think they were good I wouldn't own them... well, not really. Which brings me onto...

POSSIBLY RECOMMENDED...
titles for the GBA - games that I think are good but perhaps not everyone would appreciate them. There's only THREE games here I give this rating so I'll share with you why...

HODissonance: considered the weakest of the 3 GBA CV's. Howeve, if you've played through COTMoon and AOSorrow and passed on this, it's STILL definitely worth checking out. It may be the weakest of the 3, however, that doesn't mean that it's not still great! If you've played THROUGH COTM I'd recommend picking this one next. However, if you NEVER finished COTM you could, if you want, just jump straight to AOSorrow (prequel to DOSorrow on DS) although I would recommend giving HOD time if I were you...

GGXAdv: a great attempt at recreating the GG experience on the GBA, however, it's NOT as glorious as GGX is known to be. You'll either appreciate this game or lament it's inadequacies. epends on the individual I guess.

KOFEX2: same applies to this as GGXAdv. It's a great game in it's own right (with a NEW team exclusive to this game), however, there are notable differences in terms of frames and animation when sided next to it's full fat counterparts. Personal preference applies again. I think it's GREAT though Wink

Just for the record, SFAlpha 3 is also subject to the same 'scaled down' treatment. It's great in it's own right but personal preferences will dictate a like or dislike (both for the port and the game itself!).

GAMES WITHOUT...
any form of recommendation at all? Well...
Zelda - aLttPast: is a straight out port of the SNES game

Ghouls and Ghosts - the same. It's PERFECT though

KOFEX1 - inferior relative of EX2. It plays well enough but for me, the REAL deal breaker is the inability to configure the buttons(!). However, if you ARE perfectly happy with your HP & HK as the shoulder buttons, then this may be worth looking into, as it's good overall.

OTHER NOTABLE MENTIONS...
Metal Slug Advance: a fantastic side entry into the MS series. Looks and plays identical to a traditional MS title. I was quite taken back by this title when I bought it. I didn't expect it to be sooo good.

GSFHeroes: a game which really showcases what the GBA is capable of in terms of 2D gfx. rather awesome game and quite challenging!

Metroid Fusion: supposed sequel to Metroid 3 (Super Metroid). Different to SMetroid as it is more 'direct' (linear?) than it's predecessors. You are issued with a constant map and checkpoints to negate and reach. PERSONALLY... I really liked this change of pace as it kept the speed of the gameplay up. However, if (like me also) you're a big fan of the 'traditional' Metroid exploration fare, I expect this game will not be for you.

FFOne and SSF2XRemix: I know you own FF1, however, the same level of cool applies to the GBA's SSF2X as well. IMO, like FFOne, this version of SSF2 is so accomplished, perfect and DIFFERENT, that regardless of it's 'port' nature it still warrants inclusion. It is a superb version of the game. Really.

HERE IS A LIST OF GAMES...
I would like for my GBA, however, it's most likely I will never get around to acquiring them as I'm quite possibly considering selling my GBA off with it's games:(

MegaMan Zero 1-4 (now available on DS as a compilation)
Metroid Zero Mission
Gradius Advance/Galaxies
Contra Advance
Double Dragon Advance
Doom
Doom 2
Duke Nukem (all these 3D FPS are surprisingly awesome on the GBA!)
Ecks Vs Sever - Ballistic (used to have this and really liked it!)
F-Zero series for GBA
Iridion 2 (I also have this on my wishlist!)

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

GeeseTheDuck
The Mega Man Zero series is highly recommended,
but if you only want to get one, 3 is the one to go for.
Just know that, like any Mega Man game, this series is HARD.

Zelda Minish Cap is a bit on the short and easy side, but is a blast as long as it lasts.
Metroid Zero Mission is simply a great remake of a great game.

KOF EX2 is actually a pretty competent portable fighter (unlike the original EX),
and the exclusive fighters are interesting to check out.
If i where to get only one GBA fighter, It'd be this one.
Edited by GeeseTheDuck on 23. January 2011 15:57
img820.imageshack.us/img820/5397/snksig.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/VoidAvesta
reelmojo
I'll try to just stick with games that haven't been mentioned yet.

Mario Vs. Donkey Kong - A superb puzzle platformer. The sequels focus on the minis and play completely differently. I was addicted to this game for a long long time.

Super Dodgeball Advance - Very fast paced and very addictive version of a classic game. It's like NES Super Dodgeball on speed.

Metroid Zero Mission - Ninja, I see this is on your want list. If you haven't played it I encourage you to pick it up before selling your GBA! It's definitely my favorite game in the series.

Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland - A remake of Kirby's Adventure with a great graphical update and an unlockable mode that let's you play as Meta Knight!

Final Fantasy 1 & 2: Dawn of Souls - If you like RPG's I highly recommend this. They changed FF2 from a mediocre and impossibly difficult game to an extremely fun and rewarding game with a great storyline. It's probably my favorite classic RPG.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Unless of course you'd like to add original Gameboy and Gameboy Color games into the mix as well.

Murikov
As a former GBA owner I only can agree with the most mentions above me. Especially GunStar Future Heroes, Metal Slug Advance and the Castlevania games are great additions to everyone's collection.

I've got some recommendations as well which weren't mentioned yet.

Alien Hominid
A nice, metal-sluggish Run&Gun game which is based on the famous Newgrounds flash game. If you're familiar with the original, this could be something for you.

www.hardcoregaming101.net/alienhominid/alienhominid-gba4.png

CT Special Forces 2 - Back to Hell
Again a Metal Slug clone which feels a bit stiffer than it's inspiring example, but after all it's an entertaining title for the GBA. The prequel on the other side is pretty boring and the third episode isn't that good either.

psxmedia.ign.com/psx/image/ctbacktohellpsx_021404_000_640w.jpg

Dragonball - Advanced Adventure
The best Dragonball game on the handheld, period. It's a pretty good sidescroller which is based on the first part of the Dragonball saga (still with Goku as a boy). Very addictive gameplay and a good soundtrack as well.

www.vizzed.com/vizzedboard/gba/screenshot/Dragon%20Ball%20-%20Advanced%20Adventure-2.png

Doom II
I know, I shouldn't recommend ports but this one is pretty good. It's basically the complete Doom II as we all know it and the conversion to the GBA turned out well. You should have played this video game legend at least once.

www.gameclassification.com/files/games/Doom-II-Hell-on-Earth.png

Gekido Advance - Kintaro's Revenge
Quite a challenging and nice beat-em-up, but don't imagine it as a Final Fight clone. The level design makes it quite different from other games of the same genre but all in all it leaves behind a good impression.

www.gameboy-advance-roms.com/gba/scr/1348b.png

River City Ransom EX
There isn't much to say about it if you already know the original on the NES. After all it's more a remake than a port, it has improved graphics and an arranged soundtrack for example. It's worth taking a look on it imho.

www.hardcoregaming101.net/kunio/rcr-gba2.png
Edited by Murikov on 23. January 2011 19:28
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

Bullet
I'd say River City Ransom Ex Advance and Double Dragon Advance are 2 of my favorite GBA games to play.
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

Loris Biaggi
GBA is a great console, one of my favorites.
To be the perfect portable console should have more snk games... Samurai Shodown, for example.

On my gba i have a g6flash with a pocketnes emulator and a 100 best nes games selected by myself.
Pocketnes is a PERFECT emulator... my gameboymicro now IS a portable nes.
Edited by Loris Biaggi on 24. January 2011 10:14

1983parrothead
Here are some I can recommend to you:

Rhythm Tengoku - The last GBA game by Nintendo and the first of the Rhythm Heaven/Rhythm Paradise series. If you like music games including Rhythm Heaven/Rhythm Paradise, you'll love this. The WarioWare staff also developed this, so you'll see some similarities.

Densetsu no Stafy 1, 2 and 3 - Three Japan-only predecessors of the DS game "The Legendary Starfy". Like the DS platformer, these are also fun, even when you can't read the Japanese text. It's more about swimming than running and jumping like in most platformers.

Custom Robo GX - The third and last game in the Custom Robo series before North America received the series' GameCube title. Although it's mostly 2D, it's still fun. It's kind of like a shoot 'em up blended with a versus fighting game into one. Exploring parts of the map and buildings might become confusing to you, but not to me; however I became stuck at the password part of the game's plot, until I noticed it's the Japanese name of "Ray Sky".

F-ZERO Climax - If you like the F-ZERO series or just racing games generally, you might like this one. However, this and the 64DD version of F-ZERO X have two things in common: they are both Japan-only and allow players to create their own racetracks. Unlike most games in the series, it allows players to attack other racers by pressing L and R after each otherto spin their machines into them, and when players boost while spinning, they'll perform the "Boost Fire". There are also F-ZERO Maximum Velocity and F-ZERO GP Legend, and they are released worldwide, but I'm pretty sure they aren't as good as F-ZERO Climax. I might be incorrect.

This list below might also be helpful. While it mentions Kuru Kuru Kururin, you should also try its sequel Kururin Paradise.

http://www.racket...games.html

Jump to Forum: