Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: NeoGeoNinja
Thread ID: 3099
Thread Info
There are 11 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2368 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
PAINFUL LOSS? APPARENTLY NOT...
NeoGeoNinja
ON 'ANOTHER' SITE...
I frequent (kinda like another woman!) someone posted a link to some, and I forewarn, rather distressing images. He's taken it all rather well and - as you should - values his family and safety over such losses.

However, this man has my 'digital condolences'... perhaps everyone's worst nightmare?

Errr... enjoy? Shrug

http://nfgphoto.c.../GameFlood

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 18. January 2011 23:24
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

LIFE_IN_2D
Hahahah yeah,I too saw this on the 'other' site. Pretty sad to see all those retro relics get turned into rafts for rats. Especially that AES and Neo-Stick... may they RIP Bye.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 18. January 2011 21:36
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Loris Biaggi
Oh God!!! I can't watch it...

STE C
OUCH thats painful to see , especially them beautiful PC Engines.

candycab
It would take a bit of time but I think a lot of that stuff could be cleaned back into working order. Still sucks though.
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Murikov
OMG, losing one's favorite consoles is one thing but to say goodbye to all the rare, costly and over years collected games isn't exactly brilliant either. Real Sad
Just imagine a PAL Kizuna or a Sapphire vanishing in the floods...
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

RiKo
that sucks but the guy doesnt seem that bothered about the losses. i think he's glad hes alive. i think i could live with losing most of my stuff but not my Neo Geo collection!

slightly off-topic : i do notice that a lot of collectors seem to have a nasty habit of collecting for ages and then just suddenly selling off their collections. i read an interview with Sean? the guy who runs Neo-geo.com (sorry if i got name wrong - been a while since i visited properly) and he said that a lot of people spend years collecting Neo Geo games and then suddenly they decide to sell them all off and then a few years later regret it and start collecting again. madness!
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
IDCHAPPY
RiKo wrote:
that sucks but the guy doesnt seem that bothered about the losses. i think he's glad hes alive. i think i could live with losing most of my stuff but not my Neo Geo collection!

slightly off-topic : i do notice that a lot of collectors seem to have a nasty habit of collecting for ages and then just suddenly selling off their collections. i read an interview with Sean? the guy who runs Neo-geo.com (sorry if i got name wrong - been a while since i visited properly) and he said that a lot of people spend years collecting Neo Geo games and then suddenly they decide to sell them all off and then a few years later regret it and start collecting again. madness!

That seems to be especially true about neo games and the home games in particular Hmm

NeoGeoNinja
RiKo wrote:
I do notice that a lot of collectors seem to have a nasty habit of collecting for ages and then just suddenly selling off their collections. i read an interview with Sean? the guy who runs Neo-geo.com (sorry if i got name wrong - been a while since i visited properly) and he said that a lot of people spend years collecting Neo Geo games and then suddenly they decide to sell them all off and then a few years later regret it and start collecting again. madness!

IDCHAPPY wrote:
That seems to be especially true about neo games and the home games in particular Hmm

I THINK THAT...
there's a few reasons for this. And I hope I'm not too ignorant in my assumptions, as I mean NO offense. Anyway...

One reason I think is that many enjoy the thrill of the chase and perhaps even bragging rights(?). As such, it's quite the achievement to relay in appropriate conversation that one has had a somewhat established (complete?) AES collection - regardless of whether one still owns it or not. Even bigger talking point is how much you sold it all for! Back to the chase though, I think many relish the collecting aspect and then lose interest upon completion or near-completion.

Also, perhaps (as I may have under or mis-understood?) perhaps some collectors are not particularly 'fans' of SNK, NEO•GEO or the heritage and nostalgia that comes with the machine? Imagine a millionaire buying a classic Ferrari only to find that regardless of it's 'legendary' status, that it doesn't live up to the expectations he was lead to believe. But PPL keep telling him how great it is... reassuring him - even though 'he' is not 100% sure himself. However, many get wrapped up in the hype of others opinions - especially those less individual or confident, looking for something to inject their energies into.

ANOTHER REASON...
and it sounds harsh, is that perhaps upon collecting many games, especially the expensive titles - I think perhaps reality kicks in down the line and most 'feel' that these games aren't really worth the money they command. That and now many realise that you can 'do' MVS via CMVS for, well, not a fraction as such, but considerable less. Blazing Star or Ninja Masters anybody? 1/10th of the price on MVS??

Yeah, NEO•GEO collecting; I think many get wrapped up in the grand idea of it all, but I think (unfortunately) the expectations may fall short of the costs...

Ninja

(p.s. not forgetting personal and financial reasons too of course! And marriage... and child births... and...)
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 20. January 2011 21:45
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

RiKo
i think you nailed it there Ninja, lots of people collect for the wrong reasons (bragging) and for the sake of collecting (its an addiction). i know when i was a bit younger i really liked the idea of collecting every game for a system, but now i am older i realise theres no point to it and recently i sold off a lot of the games i wouldnt ever play. for me now - a good collection now is one with games in i actually want to play and maybe a few other games which are important or interesting in some way.

i sold my PC Engine and my Jaguar and all the games for them (none of these systems i was really collecting for) and kept the systems i really liked and enjoyed playing. there's only so many videogame consoles one person needs Smile
Edited by RiKo on 21. January 2011 20:21
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
candycab
I too think you hit the nail on the head Ninja, for me personally Ive never collected anything other than what Im interested in playing when it comes to any console or Arcade Hardware. In all honesty the vast majority of our much loved MVS titles are less than stellar as games go and very mediocre but, when I see games like Samsho III and the Metal Slug games they hit me like a Van Gogh would a connoisseur of Art.

Arcade games have always been about the presentation for me which is why I have always had a love of large Cabinet games like my Discs of Tron and 6 Player X-Men, its a curse really Smile I like that when we play MVS games we are playing something that really looks like it took skill to create instead of the cookie cutter graphics we see in games today. Sprites = Art and its an Art I appreciate Smile
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Jump to Forum: