Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: GeeseTheDuck
Thread ID: 3092
Thread Info
There are 12 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3187 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
NGCD price
GeeseTheDuck
I'm planning to get a Neo Geo CD of off Ebay
and I'm wonder what the highest price i should be willing to cash out for one would be.
Edited by GeeseTheDuck on 17. January 2011 11:46
img820.imageshack.us/img820/5397/snksig.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/VoidAvesta
SpAce
On this topic, whats the average price on a 4slot Neo MVS pcb board?

merlin
GeeseTheDuck wrote:
I'm planning to get a Neo Geo CD of off Ebay
and I'm wonder what the highest price i should be willing to cash out for one would be.

You won't regret getting a NGCD system Geese. A great system to own. As for the price well it depends if you're going for a top loader or a CDZ and whether you want it boxed or not.

Although they're a bit more expensive I'd recommend thinking about getting a CDZ because the load times are a bit faster. The top loader is great too though and I'm sure you'd be happy with one of those if you're looking to spend a bit less.

Hit Japan on ebay has a few NGCD consoles for sale right now. These seem like very reasonable prices to me and they do accept lower offers too sometimes. If I didn't already have a NGCD I would go for one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.c...33643a550c

http://cgi.ebay.c...3363ee943e

http://cgi.ebay.c...3363ee6e75

http://cgi.ebay.c...3363d442a2
Edited by merlin on 17. January 2011 17:15

NeoGeoNinja
merlin wrote:
You won't regret getting a NGCD system Geese. A great system to own. As for the price well it depends if you're going for a top loader or a CDZ and whether you want it boxed or not.

Although they're a bit more expensive I'd recommend thinking about getting a CDZ because the load times are a bit faster. The top loader is great too though and I'm sure you'd be happy with one of those if you're looking to spend a bit less...

DON'T FORGET...
about the 'tray-loader' Merlin! C'mon now! That's not like you... Wink

I'm actually tempted to buy a NGCD one day - in the future. i don't know why, I just fancy trying the games on CD too one day! Call me extravagant - or just a rabid SNK fan? One or the other's fine I guess Shrug Grin

HOWEVER...
there is the dilemma over which console to go for.

AESthetically speaking (hur hur) i reckon the Top Loader is by FAR the best looking of the bunch. It's quite a nice looking machine imo and it's shell would make the perfect donor for a CMVS! Oo-er...

ASSthetically speaking (chortle!) the CDZ is by FAR one of the ugliest as sin consoles I have ever had the misfortune to lay my eyes on! How on Earth could SNK have gotten the design so very wrong. And in stylish CD32 grey no less! Seriously nasty, mostly thanks to those horrific Power & Eject buttons. Gah!

Guess it depends on what's most important to you? I reckon I'd always head for the Top Loader myself as I simply couldn't look the CDZ in the LED!

Incidentally, as a 'successful' transplanation ever been made? (i.e. CDZ into a TLdr?) Now THAT would be something!

AS A SIDE NOTE...
I heard CDZ's suffer quite badly with overheating (for obvious reasons). Is this actually founded or hypothetical?

Seriously though? CD32 Grey?? Shrug Shock

I'd get mine customised in EITHER a Gloss Black OR White finish - NO different coloured button allowed!!! Thumbs Down

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Murikov
I highly recommend getting it from Hit Japan, I got my loose AES with two controllers from this guy. Very friendly, reliable and good prices as well if you ask me. Thumbs Up

As for the system itself (which I don't own) I have to admit that I really appreciate the price-performance ratio and the nice design (I don't think that the CDZ is suuuch an ugly duckling, Ninja. I assume this must be my bad taste. Cool).

Imo it's the ideal console to play all the SNK action games, shmups or early fighting games but just to think of the loading times of later titles like Art of Fighting 3 gives me goosebumps (even on a CDZ or FrontLoader). I know, the whole grumble about the loading times and the comparisons between AES/MVS and CD lead to nowhere as these are completely different systems imo. But on the other side I'd be really annoyed to wait over 1 minute until I finally can start playing.

But I don't intend to stop anybody from buying a NGCD as it's still a great bunch of fun for a reasonable price if you ask me.

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
It's quite a nice looking machine imo and it's shell would make the perfect donor for a CMVS! Oo-er...

This guy thought the same: http://www.neo-ge...hp?t=88505
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

STE C
I am a big NGCD fan and have a decent collection myself, as the guys say its a great way to obtain a decent NG collection cheap and fast. I actually used to play the KOF games as a single player rather than a team to avoid the load times and its actually more fun than people realize.
Even the SS games are not to bad at loading, out of the games I have I would consider KOF 99, LB , and RBS as the worst and best avoided if you have no patience but anything else or pre 96 is no worse than some early PS1 games.

hitorkori
well il have to agree with what merlin says i had a top loader too & it was fine it got more io read errors more thanmy cdz +its single speed ! the cdz is double speed & has more ram i got two cdz now & a spare lens just in case

http://cgi.ebay.c...19c2307783

hit japan is fast n efficent i can recommend him + the redbook cd audio makes the cart music seem oldhat !

merlin
Wow I'm quite surprised that you think the CDZ is so ugly Ninja! I've always thought it was a good looking console myself and like the fact that it's smaller too. Perhaps a black colour would have been even better though.

I've never had any problems with overheating and I think it's a myth that the CDZ is unreliable. It might get a little hotter because of it's more compact size but if looked after properly you won't have any problems. Any problems are probably caused by people doing stupid things like putting the CDZ on a carpet or leaving it switched on for very long periods.

Ninja you could always just buy a top loader using it for non-fighters which tend to have very short load times like Last Resort, Pulstar, Viewpoint, Neo Drift Out etc. and then playing fighting games on your AES. That's an ideal solution and would save you a lot of money too.

I agree with Murikov and Hitorkori about Hit Japan. I've bought from them many times. They always have a large stock, items are accurately described and their prices are very good. I'd say they're the No.1 online seller of Neo Geo games.

For anyone curious about load times you can see some data here:

http://www.egamea...times.html

GeeseTheDuck
Looking at those statistics, a CDZ seems tempting,
buuuuut... I think I'll get a standard one.
Call me crazy, but I'd rather not miss the legendary 1-minute-loading times,
as it is, after all, another charm of aging classic systems.
I just have to be sure to bring a pack of potato-chips with me when i wanna play, S' all.

Hehehe, and I'm gonna play KOF '98 on that thing?
hooo boy...
Edited by GeeseTheDuck on 17. January 2011 21:57
img820.imageshack.us/img820/5397/snksig.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/VoidAvesta
NeoGeoNinja
merlin wrote:
Wow I'm quite surprised that you think the CDZ is so ugly Ninja! I've always thought it was a good looking console myself and like the fact that it's smaller too. Perhaps a black colour would have been even better though.

I've never had any problems with overheating and I think it's a myth that the CDZ is unreliable. It might get a little hotter because of it's more compact size but if looked after properly you won't have any problems. Any problems are probably caused by people doing stupid things like putting the CDZ on a carpet or leaving it switched on for very long periods.

Ninja you could always just buy a top loader using it for non-fighters which tend to have very short load times like Last Resort, Pulstar, Viewpoint, Neo Drift Out etc. and then playing fighting games on your AES. That's an ideal solution and would save you a lot of money too...

...For anyone curious about load times you can see some data here:

http://www.egamea...times.html

SORRY MERLERS...
but I'm gonna have to call 'ugly' on the CDZ. Ugly beast - beast as in 'NeoGeo'... ugly as in CDZ!

However, upon reading the load time data you so kindly provided, regardless of whether or not I'd have to create a special box to contain the CDZ from the naked eye(!), I'd definitely aim for the CDZ now > other NGCD's. Didn't realise how sizeable some times could be and it appears that the CDZ makes them much more realistic (i.e. PS1-esque times?).

Quite impressed to see that some games require ZERO loading after the initial load up! Very cool! And some of the better games like Breakers & Ninja Masters have VERY minimal load times too. Shame about MS2 though, eh, as MS1 sounds great!

YEAH...
it's a shame about the aesthetics of the CDZ as I reckon more thought (i.e. standard Neo black matte finish with Gold logo) and 'normal' colour buttons would have lent itself rather nicely for the machine. Nevermind.

Is there any more NGCD load data anywhere? I really enjoyed that article...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

valgalder
I love the Neo Geo CD (I have the US top loader) it's absolutely frustrating to play most fighters, but other than those, loading is no biggie.

If it ever breaks on me, i'd love to see about converting it into a CMVS. Has anybody ever done this? If I ever sell the Big Red, this would be a great alternative.

Loris Biaggi
I had the chance to buy a NGCD few days ago, because i had a good offer, but after thinking a bit i refused, i think loading times are not for me, i grew up with cardridges and i really can't suffer loadings.
I left loadings with my vic-20 with record tapes, and i think they should die with it.
When PlayStation came out, i considered it a big step backward in console technology.
Edited by Loris Biaggi on 21. January 2011 11:18

Jump to Forum: