Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: deank93
Thread ID: 3015
Thread Info
There are 13 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3716 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Whats your view on SNK v Capcom?
deank93
Hi,

I'm on the look out for this game and am interested in peoples view on it...on paper it sounds great and the only review I've read says it's a cracker but how does it compare to the better KOF and FF games?

Dean.

NeoGeoNinja
TRUTH IS...
it's a great little game, but compared with MOST of the KOF's (from 98 onwards) it's probably not as good overall.

WHETHER...
I prefer it or not to some of the KOF's out there is a different matter entirely. Personally, I love SVC Chaos and is one of the games I would love to get first for my AES - if I could afford it. But the game is a 'Marmite' title Dean - you'll either 'get it' or you won't.

I for one, am a BIG fan of BOTH Capcom and SNK, so having an SNK-style face off on the NEO•GEO is a dream come true for me. I lke how the game plays and I also like the unique character roster it brings to the table too.

I'm a fan of the dark theme for this game. I like the desolate, near apocalyptic settings for the fights and I like the eerie music too.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with this game. It has a lot of replay value, and it's hard to pin why. Once you accept that this game ISN'T KOF, and that it's something completely different... I can't explain it, but it grabs you. I find SVC very addictive!

Depends on how you see fighting games - and what you find their strengths and weaknesses to be. I think it contributes to a nice spectrum within your (anyone's) fighting game selection. Another key point (that I found!) is that your mates, who are LESS familiar with the awesome SNK cast can dig straight in and feel at home with some Capcom faves offering a nice compromise between you and PPL less versed in the way of the NEO•GEO Thumbs Up

If you haven't bought it already... well, I think you should! Grin

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

LIFE_IN_2D
I PROUDLY own this game on MVS. It probably gets the most play out of any cart. It's addicting, to me.

I love both SNK and Capcom. I own CVS 2 and I figured I'd get SNK's side of the coin. I love seeing all the Capcom characters in SNK style, some are VASTLY improved in sprite animation (Sagat, Demitri).

I love the odd-ball cast. Who doesn't wanna see Hugo take on Earthquake, or see two wandering legends (Terry and Ryu) go head to head. Or see Rockman Zero take on Mars people. What happens when Goenitz meets a powerful vampire ? I especially love the pre-fight dialogues. Also I like doing my damnedest to get to the hidden boss, Firebrand.

Anyways, I could go on and on about how much I love this game. But you either love or hate it, pretty much.

I love it, period.

i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

deank93
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
I for one, am a BIG fan of BOTH Capcom and SNK, so having an SNK-style face off on the NEO•GEO is a dream come true for me. I lke how the game plays and I also like the unique character roster it brings to the table too.

Ninja

Thats the appeal to me, I love SNK and Capcom so having both sets of fighters on the Neo floats my boat.

STE C
I adore the Capcom vs SNK games despite always preferring SNK as a company I love what Capcom did with the franchise. I have SNK vs Cap on the Xbox and multicart and really should give it more time after hearing the above comments , I suppose with it not looking as flashy as Capcom vs SNK I have never bothered much with it due to the huge amount of quality fighters on the NG.

As with Matrimelee I know this is a good game that deserves more of my time and one I should probably buy on genuine MVS at some point.

Bullet
I agree with most of what you guys are saying.
I also love the tribute to the SF2 movie with the inclusion of Violent Ken, just that alone makes me love that game lol and the fact that all the Street Fighter guys look like awesome versions of their SF2 style is also a plus.
Its a good game, but a little sloppy at the same time, with some inconsistent hit boxing etc. It really needed a second game to work some of the kinks out, but still a solid effort.
I have it on mvs, and the xbox and ps2 versions have pretty much everyone unlocked from the start, no codes like the mvs version to play as Dan etc.
Edited by Bullet on 01. December 2010 16:51
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

deank93
Bullet wrote:
I have it on mvs, and the xbox and ps2 versions have pretty much everyone unlocked from the start, no codes like the mvs version to play as Dan etc.

With so many copies on so many formats it sounds to me like you should get rid of that MVS copy of yours Pray

deank93
I've just gone and bought it!!!! now for the wait for it to arrive from the states.

NeoGeoNinja
deank93 wrote:
I've just gone and bought it!!!! now for the wait for it to arrive from the states.

HAHAHA!
Suckerrrrrrr... It's crap! Thumbs Down Shock

I'm kidding Dean... just kidding mate! Grin

But dude, what IS your profession?? I'm clearly in the wrong line of work! Shrug

SERIOUSLY THOUGH...
it's a great game. You can now paste your mates all over the shop as they use Ryu and co... and they now have NO excuses! Wink

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

reelmojo
Great purchase! As long as you're not the kind of player who worries about tournament play then you'll like SVC Chaos. I pretty much echo what others have said in this thread. A sequel would have been perfect because they could have fixed what I think it the only major flaw of the game... too many Street Fighters! Of the 18 Capcom characters only four of them are not from Street Fighter. At least they were all redrawn in beautiful SNK style. The SNK side does have some great obscurities though. Shiki is beyond awesome and really needs to make her way into the proper SS series, the first time I saw Mars People my jaw dropped, and Goddess Athena is an awesome throwback.

Sequels to this and NGBC would make me so freaking happy.

deank93
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
deank93 wrote:

HAHAHA!
But dude, what IS your profession?? I'm clearly in the wrong line of work! Shrug

SERIOUSLY THOUGH...
it's a great game. You can now paste your mates all over the shop as they use Ryu and co... and they now have NO excuses! Wink

Ninja

My job title is area business manager....which sounds slightly tosser-ish

Basically i just point at stuff in the supermarkets I'm responsible for an moan Thumbs Up

My pals will be lulled into a false sense of security with the capcom roster then they will get smashed, I'm getting back into my groove with KOF especially Kim, Andy, Joe and Terry.

Ducky
It wasn't perfect, but it was fun, and had an interesting cast.

deank93
Great feedback from everyone.

My thoughts a few weeks into ownership are that the sprite graphics while looking great are not on a par with the more recent KOF titles or MOTW, playing Chaos back to back with MOTW last night really highlighted that for me also the backgrounds are a little barron, not much in the way of colour or movement.

However, the gameplay is spot on, plenty of depth and massive replay value, i think it would score 8.5/10 for me, I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Jump to Forum: