Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: candycab
Thread ID: 301
This Thread Is Sticky
This thread is sticky & may contain important information. There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What are you playing ?
cthulhu
merlin wrote:
I know some people say you should always start over when you lose a credit but I think it's also ok to learn a game by credit feeding through it.

Nothing wrong with credit feeding. I always play my shmups for score a couple of times before leisurely credit feeding them all the way through. Also, sometimes I just don't feel like playing seriously for score or survival.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

green beret
cthulhu wrote:

merlin wrote:
I know some people say you should always start over when you lose a credit but I think it's also ok to learn a game by credit feeding through it.

Nothing wrong with credit feeding. I always play my shmups for score a couple of times before leisurely credit feeding them all the way through. Also, sometimes I just don't feel like playing seriously for score or survival.

This is my most common technic and I become better and better every time I play Smile
But I need to become serious some time and find at least one game in my collection to be able to finish it 1cc

merlin
green beret wrote:
Do you finish KOTR and KOD with one credit Merlin? I saw in your profile that you have so many hours on KOD!

You also have Ghouls n Ghosts in your collection and you do have a great CPS collection btw! Cool! Maybe one day I only keep 15 games. How are you going with Ghouls n Ghosts? Is it a tough cookie?

Yes I've beaten KOD and KOTR on one credit many times but I have spent many hours practicing those games. I don't do it every time though and there's definitely still a lot of room for improvement. At FightCade they used to have the easy World version of KOD but after I requested it they switched to the US version which is much harder.

Thanks. I'm not good at G 'n G at all. Just haven't put that much time into the game yet but one day I want to learn how to play well.

cthulhu wrote:

I agree. Not everyone has the time or always feels like seriously going for high scores or survival. Just enjoying the game is the most important thing of course. There are many arcade games I play which I'm not good at and credit feed through them but still enjoy them.

green beret wrote:
But I need to become serious some time and find at least one game in my collection to be able to finish it 1cc

I think a 1CC in Golden Axe would be easy for you Green Beret. The easiest side scroller in your collection. Also The King of Dragons is significantly easier than other Capcom beat 'em ups. I don't think it would take you long to clear that on one coin especially if you use the wizard.

green beret
merlin wrote:

green beret wrote:
Do you finish KOTR and KOD with one credit Merlin? I saw in your profile that you have so many hours on KOD!

You also have Ghouls n Ghosts in your collection and you do have a great CPS collection btw! Cool! Maybe one day I only keep 15 games. How are you going with Ghouls n Ghosts? Is it a tough cookie?

Yes I've beaten KOD and KOTR on one credit many times but I have spent many hours practicing those games. I don't do it every time though and there's definitely still a lot of room for improvement. At FightCade they used to have the easy World version of KOD but after I requested it they switched to the US version which is much harder.

Thanks. I'm not good at G 'n G at all. Just haven't put that much time into the game yet but one day I want to learn how to play well.

cthulhu wrote:

I agree. Not everyone has the time or always feels like seriously going for high scores or survival. Just enjoying the game is the most important thing of course. There are many arcade games I play which I'm not good at and credit feed through them but still enjoy them.

green beret wrote:

I think a 1CC in Golden Axe would be easy for you Green Beret. The easiest side scroller in your collection. Also The King of Dragons is significantly easier than other Capcom beat 'em ups. I don't think it would take you long to clear that on one coin especially if you use the wizard.
Glad to know that! I have seen a wizard play through and looked not so difficult! I will start practicing Golden Axe sometime.

merlin
Have been mainly playing Nekketsu Oyako on PS1 lately. Bought this a while ago hoping to get some regular two player games going but there was very little interest. About a month ago a new guy moved in who is really into gaming. I introduced him to Nekketsu Oyako and he loved it. We played it almost every day and made steady progress. He always played as Rando and I played as Rio. We finally managed to both beat the game without continuing. Love this game so much! The Saturn version is my most played multiplayer game on that system.

I always like seeing peoples' reactions when they see what happens after the first boss fight and also stage 2! The team tactics you can use make the game very fun in multiplayer such as throwing an enemy backwards and forwards and many opportunities for juggling enemies between you. Lots of other things you can do in the game too such as hitting enemies on the ground and doing bouncing attacks repeatedly on top of enemies. If you haven't played this before please check it out! (the Saturn version is better than the PS1 version with more moves and other enhancements)

Sensi
Looks like a great (multiplayer)game Merlin.
After the SNES/Genesis area, the Saturn and PS1 PAL libary really lacked sidescrolling beat 'm ups. Really sad. I remember Fighting Force with a friend but it's a inferior game compared to the best games in the genre.
I will try to pick this one up and play it solo.

green beret
merlin wrote:

Have been mainly playing Nekketsu Oyako on PS1 lately. Bought this a while ago hoping to get some regular two player games going but there was very little interest. About a month ago a new guy moved in who is really into gaming. I introduced him to Nekketsu Oyako and he loved it. We played it almost every day and made steady progress. He always played as Rando and I played as Rio. We finally managed to both beat the game without continuing. Love this game so much! The Saturn version is my most played multiplayer game on that system.

I always like seeing peoples' reactions when they see what happens after the first boss fight and also stage 2! The team tactics you can use make the game very fun in multiplayer such as throwing an enemy backwards and forwards and many opportunities for juggling enemies between you. Lots of other things you can do in the game too such as hitting enemies on the ground and doing bouncing attacks repeatedly on top of enemies. If you haven't played this before please check it out! (the Saturn version is better than the PS1 version with more moves and other enhancements)
Hi Merlin
It's very good to have someone to play together! Great fun! The last few days I'm playing Alien Syndrome arcade and while it's the oldest arcade I have with weaker graphics than my all other arcade games, I really enjoy it.

merlin
I'm sure you would enjoy Nekketsu Oyako Sensi. Yes it's a pity there weren't all that many good 2D side scrollers for PS1/Saturn. Just imagine how good a 32-bit 2D Streets of Rage game could have been.

Good to hear you're having fun with Alien Syndrome Green Beret. Still haven't tried that one but I like the look of it. I do love Sega arcade games of that period.

RiKo
Currently playing old mono gameboy-Tetris on 3DS and also The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (DS) but on my 3DS. If that makes sense.

It's based on the old Fighting Fantasy game book if anyone remembers that!
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
RiKo wrote:

Currently playing old mono gameboy-Tetris on 3DS and also The Warlock of Firetop Mountain (DS) but on my 3DS. If that makes sense.

It's based on the old Fighting Fantasy game book if anyone remembers that!

RiKo I was a huge fan of those game books when I was younger. Before leaving the UK last year I started getting interested in them again and actually took some with me when I moved abroad. I brought nine of the original series including Warlock of Firetop Mountain and also Steve Jackson's Sorcery series. City of Thieves is my favourite. It's nice that these books are being converted to handhelds and Android/iOS so more people can enjoy them. I would rather play them the original way though.

RiKo
Yes they were great! My favourites were Warlock, Citadel of Chaos and Forest of Doom (the first three). I saw they had remade the Sorcery series on iOS. I used to really like Khare: City Port of Traps, especially the illustrations.

Here's a weird fact i learnt recently : that Scorpion Swamp was by a different Steve Jackson as were some of the other books after that point. There were 2 Steve Jacksons.

Warlock of Firetop Mountain on DS is like a first person shooter/RPG so it's more based on the book than the actual book. It didn't come out in the Uk weirdly so I had to buy it from the US

YouTube Video

Also worth checking out Merlin is Deathtrap Dungeon on Playstation. It's a bit like Tomb Raider but based on the FF book of the same name. It's not amazing but not bad either.

green beret
I am currently playing Aliens and Shadow over Mystara. Thinking to start a Pokemon game on a handheld too. Don't know which one yet. I am between Emerald and Diamond.

merlin
@RiKo That Warlock of Firetop Mountain game on DS looks good and different to how I expected.

Didn't realize there was a Deathtrap Dungeon game on PS1. I do remember playing Temple of Terror on the ZX Spectrum in the past.

https://www.youtu...Hy3m37njvc

Even though I've been a fan of those books for a very long time I also didn't realize there are two Steve Jacksons until I found out last year.

I really want to try this series. They get very good reviews, are non-linear and give you more freedom.

https://en.wikipe...bled_Lands

RiKo
Merlin wrote :- Didn't realize there was a Deathtrap Dungeon game on PS1. I do remember playing Temple of Terror on the ZX Spectrum in the past.

yes I remember those. There were a few back then on the Spectrum. I never actually played any based on the FF books but I did like text adventures in general.

I have a little story about Steve Jackson. I was really ill once and I was too exhausted to play video games so I decided I would give those old game books a try. The book I never completed back in the day was Starship Traveller by Steve Jackson. It seemed really complicated and I didn't like it much. But I decided to try and beat it once and for all. I asked my brother to buy it for me as a birthday present. Anyway he bought it and totally randomly he had a chance to go out to dinner with Steve Jackson so he did and he got the book signed!

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/StarShipTravellerSteveJackson_zps8smwph60.jpg

Still haven't managed to beat it though :/

Merlin wrote :- I really want to try this series. They get very good reviews, are non-linear and give you more freedom.

https://en.wikipe...

They look good! I haven't seen those before. I had quite a few types of game books back then. The Lone Wolf ones, some where you were a Ninja (Way of The Tiger) and The Falcon time travelling books

merlin
Nice story RiKo. That's really lucky that you have a copy signed by Steve Jackson. Starship Traveller is hard so not surprising you didn't finish it yet. I quite like it but I get the impression it's one of the less popular books in the series.

The Lone Wolf series is excellent too. It's nice that you can keep using the same character through multiple books and increase their rank. I also really enjoyed the Cretan Chronicles trilogy.

I actually thought about starting a game book thread here last year but thought maybe no-one would be interested.

To get back to the subject of video games, I've been mainly playing Golden Axe III on my Caanoo recently. Excellent game.

The eccentric cat
Recently got into Real Bout 2, and KOF 98 UM, recently too tired to devote my time to other games, and usually looking for a quick-fix. (Fallout and Tales of Xilia just require too much effort sometimes...)

I forgot how fun the games could be!
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

RiKo
I've been playing Burning Fight and Shock Troopers (1) on Neo Geo today. Still love the bit in Shock Troopers where you get on your motorbike and have a hand free to shoot or bazooka the bad guys Thumbs Up

I think Burning Fight a bit under-rated on Neo Geo. I'm not saying it's good - just it's not as bad as people say! I think it suffers a lot from being compared directly to Final Fight when it's not that similar. It doesn't feel like a rip off to me.

green beret
Last few days I am playing Metal Slug 2, Prehistoric Isle 2 and Dungeons and Dragons Shadow over Mystara.

Sensi
Cool Green, D&D: SoM. Last week I played and completed both PS3 versions: Tower of Doom and SoM. Enjoyed both games enormously. It's really impressive, especially SoM, how advanced the games were in 1993 & 1996.

Two years ago I started with Dragon's Crown (rating 9/10) but didn't know anything about these gems. Without D&D, Dragon's Crown wouldn't exist (in his form). The structure of the game and all these hidden paths and secrets are so awesome. Would be great if we would ever play them co-op sometime.

green beret
Sensi wrote:

Cool Green, D&D: SoM. Last week I played and completed both PS3 versions: Tower of Doom and SoM. Enjoyed both games enormously. It's really impressive, especially SoM, how advanced the games were in 1993 & 1996.

Two years ago I started with Dragon's Crown (rating 9/10) but didn't know anything about these gems. Without D&D, Dragon's Crown wouldn't exist (in his form). The structure of the game and all these hidden paths and secrets are so awesome. Would be great if we would ever play them co-op sometime.

Tell me Sensi, how are you going with Dragon's crown? I felt that after you reach some level, game becomes so much difficult I kept loosing all the time and finally stopped playing it...

Jump to Forum: