Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: candycab
Thread ID: 301
This Thread Is Sticky
This thread is sticky & may contain important information. There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What are you playing ?
reelmojo
Mostly been playing the Monster World Collection. I beat both Monster World IV and Wonderboy in Monsterland tonight. WBML is probably the hardest game I've ever beaten. Thank God for save states! I hold simply finishing off Meka Dragon right up there with 1CCing Golden Axe on my list of "Holy Shit I Can't Believe I Did That I Have Too Much Free Time" gaming accomplishments.

And now that I've finished MWIV I can finally officially say that it's my second favorite in the series behind Wonderboy in Monster World. Of course, that still makes it one of the best Genesis games ever made.

shion
Congrats on finishing WBML! The way I understand it, those who remember the game from way back when generally prefer the home ver. I, however, am in the minority and favor the arcade ver. It is a real accomplishment finishing this game. Smile I have yet to try WBMW; I'm torn between the SMS and Genesis vers...

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
reelmojo
I haven't tried the SMS version, but the Genesis version is definitely going to be cheaper and easier to find. While I'm sure the SMS version isn't as pretty, there's nothing as far as gameplay goes that the SMS shouldn't be able to handle. I assume there'd be a little slowdown here and there though, and the amazing soundtrack wouldn't be as good.

Hardcore Gaming 101 actually just updated their Wonderboy article in honor of the new collection and this is what they had to say about the SMS version:

"Initially released on the Sega Genesis, Wonder Boy in Monster World was also ported to the Sega Master System, and released in Europe. While graphically it looks gorgeous, some technical problems keep it back. Your sword has an even shorter range (if that was possible) from the Genesis version, making it very difficult to kill anything without getting hit. You can't buy spears anymore, and the hit detection is awfully shady, making for an unnecessarily frustrating experience. The save feature is also gone, replaced with some very long passwords."

Judging from their screenshots it's definitely one of the prettiest Master System games I've ever seen. The lack of spears is troubling though since they're a very important part of the combat.

Either way I highly recommend playing the game in whatever way you can. It easily ranks among my favorite games of the era.

AngelaAsakura
Well, I've been playing F-Zero for the SNES a lot lately. Been trying to beat the stupid Fire Field track in the King's League! Alas, my efforts have all been for naught thus far. X_@

Also, I recently tried Rock N' Roll Racing for the SNES. A pretty weird yet amusing game.
farm6.staticflickr.com/5160/7182649455_b7024d0591.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/AngelaAsakura/
DarakuTenshi
That was such a great game. The strange thing is the F-Zero game on the SNES is the only version of the game that I actually enjoyed. Playing the newer ones on the GBA just didn't do it. Or playing the BS F-Zero game also really didn't do it for me.

But I used to play the the SNES all the time.

AngelaAsakura
DarakuTenshi wrote:
That was such a great game. The strange thing is the F-Zero game on the SNES is the only version of the game that I actually enjoyed. Playing the newer ones on the GBA just didn't do it. Or playing the BS F-Zero game also really didn't do it for me.

I wholeheartedly agree. The later games were always missing something, in my opinion. :/

The SNES F-Zero is pretty much the only racing game I've ever truly enjoyed.

shion
reelmojo wrote:
Judging from their screenshots it's definitely one of the prettiest Master System games I've ever seen. The lack of spears is troubling though since they're a very important part of the combat.

Either way I highly recommend playing the game in whatever way you can. It easily ranks among my favorite games of the era.

OK, thanks. The Gen ver. it will be (will try to do it sometime over the summer). Grin

DarakuTenshi
AngelaAsakura wrote:
DarakuTenshi wrote:

I wholeheartedly agree. The later games were always missing something, in my opinion. :/

The SNES F-Zero is pretty much the only racing game I've ever truly enjoyed.

F-Zero X and the one Sega made for the Gamecube were both neat to look at but did not hold the charm that the SNES game did.

AngelaAsakura
DarakuTenshi wrote:F-Zero X and the one Sega made for the Gamecube were both neat to look at but did not hold the charm that the SNES game did.

Very true. F-Zero X was kind of bland. I think they went a little overboard with the design of the race tracks too. They were just crazily difficult sometimes. O_o

F-Zero GX was sorta cool since it allowed you to interview the drivers. Too bad that most of them came off as rather generic personality-wise. :/
Edited by AngelaAsakura on 14. June 2012 00:01

reelmojo
I've been on a sick Monster World addiction this past week. I've been working on getting all of the Achievements in the SVC Monster World Collection simply because it gives me a cheap excuse to play more Monster World. Once I'm done I will probably move on to Dragon's Trap, Monster Lair, and the original Wonderboy

Tonight I've been playing a few Japan-only fighters. The first of which is Tobal 2 which I recently received from Merlin and Ninja. Being entirely in Japanese I don't completely understand how to play yet, but it's definitely very interesting. The animation is just crazy smooth for a PS1 game. No, scratch that. The animation is smooth for any generation. And despite the fact that there's no texture mapping on the characters they actually look quite detailed and expressive. It's definitely a huge technical feat as far as PS1 games go. The gameplay is pretty complex so I'll have to spend a lot more time with it before I can really talk about how well it plays, but I really like what I've seen so far.

The other Japanese fighter I've been playing is Dark Awake (Japanese PSN version). For those who don't know this is the game that Eolith made after parting ways with SNK. The fact that they cut their chops on KOF is extremely apparent despite the medieval fantasy setting. It actually plays like a cross between KOF and The Last Blade. The final boss reeks of SNK Boss Syndrome with normals that reach half way across the screen and specials that reach the entire length. Still, she's definitely beatable and much more manageable than say, Magaki. The graphics are incredible (keeping in mind the game was originally released in 2004 of course). There are little details everywhere and the animation is silky smooth. The character designs range from predictable but necessary to completely outrageous. One character is a skeleton warrior who rides a skeleton horse, there's a dwarf who pilots an enormous canon, there's even a giant ogre-like monster who takes up half the screen. Control is very responsive and specials and supers are a breeze to pull off. I haven't tried playing online yet but I don't have much hope for the netcode... especially considering 99% of players will be in Japan. In short, if you've got the equivalent of a spare 1000 Yen lying around I highly recommend checking out Dark Awake.

I've also been trying out a very obscure Genesis puzzle game called Junction. I'm supposed to write a review for it for boogiepop's site but it's been pretty slow going. Mostly because I can't wrap my brain around the third stage!
Edited by reelmojo on 20. June 2012 07:51

shion
I believe the fluid animation is indeed achieved by omitting any sort of texture from the characters (the PSX was never good at doing textures anyway, so we aren't missing much IMO). Let me know what you think of quest mode; last month, I barely discovered it is based on the Genesis game Fatal Labyrinth (which is based on an American Linux game from the eighties called Rogue). Everything, from the mazes, to encounters, to item locations to item values are randomized each time. It requires a lot of luck. I believe the trick is to find the "identifying" potion from the start and then go to town with the good potions (all while using the bad potions against monsters). Unfortunately, the game is so deep, whether you're playing straight up tourney mode or quest mode, that a fair amount of Japanese reading is essential...
Edited by shion on 20. June 2012 19:00

reelmojo
Yeah, with no knowlege of how to read Kanji I'm probably going to be pretty lost in the Quest mode. Still, at least if I can't get into it Dream Factory's follow up to Tobal 2 did come out in the US with a huge quest mode, so I do have an alternative. I don't know why I don't already own Ehrgeiz anyway.

merlin
For roughly the last three months I've been playing practically nothing else apart from WW2 FPS games on PC. I've played COD2 and CODWAW many times in the past but I finally got around to getting the first COD game. Incredible game with so many memorable missions. The expansion pack United Offensive was particularly good my favourite part being the Russian campaign at Kursk, Ponyri and Kharkov. Took me a long time to finally get to grips with that last battle at the Kharkov railway station.

I've also been working my way through the Medal of Honor series on PC. Allied Assault and it's two expansion packs Spearhead and Breakthrough impressed me the most. There were some annoyances like a few parts of the game where you have to face hordes of respawning enemies and enemy snipers which are far too alert/accurate. Overall though MOHAA is superb. The Normandy beach landing and the forest stage were particularly memorable. MOH Airborne, while not amazing, has some interesting ideas like being able to parachute wherever you want on the map making it a bit freeform. It did seem a bit over the top and unrealistic at times though especially when you have to fight Nazi super soldiers at the end. It's a decent game but I can't see myself playing it much in the long term. MOH Pacific Assault was great with some of the best jungle warfare I've seen in an FPS game. The final stage fighting on the beaches of Tarawa was the highlight of the game. MOHAA is without doubt the best game in the series though.

I plan on taking a look at the Brothers in Arms series next. Heard a lot of good things about those games.

There's a new one coming out 'Enemy Front' that looks interesting. Stuart Black one of the designers of the PS2 FPS 'Black' is involved in it's development.

http://www.youtub...4bmZyTDSWs

shion
Interesting to see you giving attention to Medal of Honor, a series quite under appreciated IMO. If I understand correctly, the series ushered in the FPS craze (late nineties/early 00s). I'm not even into FPS games, but I've occasionally wondered what happened to that series.

reelmojo
I played about three hours of Brave Battle Saga today (Chinese Genesis RPG, semi-recently fan translated). I don't know if I'll stick with it though. The storyline at the moment seems a bit aimless, although the actual story scenes have been pretty cool. The way the main character ends up leaving the village you start the game in is pretty shocking. Not as shocking as Xenogears' opening or anything, but it's definitely up there. The biggest problem I'm having is with the seemingly constant stream of battles. The fights are not random, you can see each enemy on screen just like in Chrono Trigger or Grandia but there are tons of them and in certain dungeons they are nigh impossible to avoid. The actual balance of the game has been fantastic, but the fighting is just too repetitive. It uses a straight up copy of Final Fantasy IV's ATB system which would lend itself well to strategy if doing anything but attacking was ever a good option in anything other than boss fights. At least the graphics are pretty beautiful. The backgrounds are heavily detailed and everything is animated well, even in battles. When walking up to one temple the game puts parallax backgrounds to stunning use to make it look like the tower is coming up from over a hill. Inside that same tower parallax is used to great effect when you can see the floors below you. For what was originally a Chinese pirate I didn't expect it to look this good. The music also deserves special mention as it's catchy as hell.

TL,DR version: It's got it's problems but I'm still enjoying it.

I've also been playing Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013. A couple of friends just taught me the basics of how to play Magic a few weeks ago and the game is helping me learn a lot more. I don't plan on buying cards in real life though. Collecting classic video games is already an expensive enough hobby.

hitorkori
Can't stop playing gears of war 3 online guardian mode horde beast death match just to god damn addictive ! Intrigued by the look of incoming prequel legends with its class system

Glowsquid
I've received Ghost Recon: Future Soldier and Heroes over Europe for my birthday so I've been playing a lot of those.

Future Soldier: The cover system is rather annoying and killed me a few times, due to my character vaulting over cover and going to an enemy/grenade when I meant to get away from it. I don't like how you can no longer position your teammates, but they're reasonably competent so it's not too much of a problem. Stealth sequences are pretty fun if not very deep. So far I like GRAW 2 more but this could change.

Heroes Over Europe: The presentation (both graphics and menus/FMVs) is fantastic, they nailed the dogfighting and the weird bullet time gimmick is pretty fun... but the mission design is insanely mediocre. They're insanely repetitive, with the objectives going like go to X place -> blow up fighters --> blow up bombers---> blow up more fighters -->blow up something that isn't a plane --> blow up more bombers. The first half of the game also is limited in environements and enemies (out of 14 missions, 3 of them are set in the Battle of London /alone/), which I something I hope the 2nd half fix. I still like it in spite of its flaws, though.

A friend also gifted me F.E.A.R and its expansions but the ridiculous download size means I'll have to download it in tiny chunks for the rest of the month. Oh well, at least I have the game~.

-SD-
I've been playing Sonic Racing on the iPad mainly because it was free, but it's a bit shit really. It just isn't as polished as Mario Kart and never was going to be. I really don't know why I persevered with it, but now I've unlocked all the characters I'm done with it.

So I've been back on Last Blade Pocket. I've finished it with all the characters and got their first endings, but I need to go through it again and get all the second end sequences. There's also loads of scrolls that I still need to unlock.
Edited by -SD- on 08. July 2012 00:35
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

RiKo
i just bought and i am playing Perfect Dark (the original N64 version) on XBLA.

This is how a remake should be done in my opinion - it's just exactly the same game - even the option screens are the same but with sharper graphics, more detailed textures. and a totally smooth frame rate. Everything has the same amount of polygons as before so its effectively the same game.

Also using dual analogue sticks i find much easier than using the N64 C buttons to aim. Only bad thing is- like the N64 version some of the best weapons are locked until you find them e.g. laptop gun, proximity mines, Syringe!, crossbow.

Mainly got this for the local (and online) multiplayer so i cant be bothered to play singleplayer at the moment, but i wish all remakes were just the original game but with frame rate/visibilty improvements. Otherwise keep them the same please Smile
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
-SD-
I finally got the cab all loaded up and working last week. So I've been playing Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend the past few days and really enjoying it.

I'm going to spend the next week or two going through KoFXIII, Arcana Heart 3 and Battle Fantasia. Aquapazza arrived yesterday so that needs to be tested out, and P4 Arena should be here next week at some point.
Beard Complete UK/Euro Clamshell NEO•GEO Pocket Collection Headbang
39 Color & 2 Cover Variations, 5 B&W

Jump to Forum: