Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: candycab
Thread ID: 301
This Thread Is Sticky
This thread is sticky & may contain important information. There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 3 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What are you playing ?
LIFE_IN_2D
I've been playing Virtua Cop 2 on the DC. Takes me back to 90's arcades, ah... those were the days.

I gotta buy a 2nd light gun...
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 02. December 2011 05:53
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

NEO-GEO man
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:
I've been playing Virtua Cop 2 on the DC. Takes me back to 90's arcades, ah... those were the days.

Ive got both on the Saturn, i should give them a run again one day soon

NeoGeoNinja
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:

NEO-GEO man wrote:
Ive got both on the Saturn, i should give them a run again one day soon

VIRTUA COP 1 & 2...
for best gun games ever? Maybe? Maybe not?!

One things for sure; they're my favourite gun games ever made - just pipping (JUST!), Namco's monster 'stand & fight' gun titles, Ninja Assault & Vampire Night.

Never could warm to Namco's, arguably more dynamic gun experience, Time Crisis series. I like 'em, but prefer 'stand & fight' gun games (like HOTD etc) more Smile

Ninja
Edited by NeoGeoNinja on 03. December 2011 13:02
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

NEO-GEO man
You have miss quoted me there Ninja!!

NeoGeoNinja
NEO-GEO man wrote:
You have miss quoted me there Ninja!! Do this again and I'll make sure that, next time, there's a big, f*ck-off venomous rattle snake knocking at YOUR back door!! Wink

OOPS...
Sorry NGMan.

Fixed!

Ninja

NEO-GEO man
No problems mate Wink HAHA!!

merlin
Virtua Cop games are awesome. Got both of them for Saturn and they're two of the best light gun games I've played. Recently I played Namco's Deadstorm Pirates a few times in arcades and really enjoyed it. It's also out on PSN. You should give that one a go Ninja if you haven't already.

I just played through the FEAR series again on PC. I could never get bored of these they have such high replay value. Also completed Crysis 2 twice. Brilliant game that every FPS fan needs to check out. I like the New York setting. Taking out enemies while your nanosuit is in cloak mode is particularly fun. After a lot of work I finally managed to 1CC Knights of the Round which I'm overjoyed about.

NeoGeoNinja
@MERLIN...
Did you like F3AR btw? Didn't fancy that one quite as much myself, but will no doubt pick it up on the cheap, eventually.

YES...
I'd like to play Deadstorm Pirates, however, I plan on investing in an actual GunCon3 to play my Namco gun games with for PS3, as a move just won't cut it for me in terms of feel, mock gun attachment, or not. I want Razing Storm the most. Played it in the arcade when it came out and really enjoyed it. May have been down to the giant machine gun though! Grin

AS FOR MYSELF, I HAVE RECENTLY...
been properly getting into, and paying FULL attention to Samurai Showdown 4 on AES (Merlins copy originally, still receiving the love it deserves).

It's a truly stunning title, and now after being more familiarised with it, can see many, MANY more differences between this and SS3. Some good, some not as good.

For one, it lacks some of the cool BKGDs found in SS3. Ukyo's river stage, Nakoruru and Rimururu's stage are immediately apparent to me, although, I do like how the repeated stages in SS4 are aged/evolutionised stages from SS3 (usually desolate and destroyed now, lol!). Haohmaru's stage in SS3 was stunning, however, his SS4 stage is literally breathtaking! Possibly the best looking fighting stage in a 2D fighter ever?! It's dramatically beautiful. As a side note, the beach from SS1/2 makes it's return here though Wink

Gameplay isn't completely different, but notably so. I hate to say it, but SS4... actually... isn't as sharp, fast, or responsive as SS3 in my experience. This doesn't impede it as such, but as a long term SS3 player, it's noticeable. The gameplay experience is much more balanced, involving and connected on the whole though, which gives it a more immersive feel imo. I'll finish the game with one character and immediately want to go through it again with someone else straight after. A good sign, me thinks?!

Music, is different again. Perhaps better? I know that 'Boss Music' is something often discussed here on NGFL when it comes to SNK games, however, BOTH Amakusa and Zankuro's themes are unbelievable. Fantastic in fact. Amakusa's, at considerable volume with decent bass, is just perfection. Seriously, seriously good stuff.

Just in the midst of naturally mixing the 14-hit combo's into my gameplay too (I favour the AABBCC method over the AACBACB myself).

Shame the game is MUCH harder to finish with some characters though > others (i.e. Genj(y)uro and Haohmaru are an absolute cinch to finish with).

Ninja

eccentric cat
Playing Team Fortress 2 recently. So awesome, PM me for my steam ID and such, I'm pretty rad in it~
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

merlin
I haven't played FEAR 3 yet Ninja. Heard some negative things about it which put me off. Someone I know who is a big FEAR fan said the game sucks and he traded it in. Not all that enthusiastic about the storyline from what I've heard. I really should give it a try at least since it's quite cheap on Amazon just now. I just bought the Reborn DLC for FEAR 2 which I completely forgot about so am excited to give that a go.

Interesting to hear your thoughts about SS4 Ninja and good to know you're getting a lot of enjoyment from my old SS4 cart. Seems like quite a few fans of the series actually prefer the gameplay of SS3 over SS4. I've always loved that SS4 background with the cherry blossoms you mentioned and also consider it one of the best looking stages in a fighting game. In SS3 Galford's bridge stage and Amakusa's stone circle are two of my favourites. Was never all that keen on Ukyo's SS3 river stage though. It looks too empty.
Edited by merlin on 07. December 2011 01:26

RiKo
I am still playing Super Street Fighter 4 AE and I just had my 1000th online fight!

i am making more of an effort to use focus attacks and Ultra's now, so hopefully will get better once i have had a little more practice. I like how you can focus attack dash-cancel (FADC) through fireballs, really good against fireball spammers.....
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
reelmojo
I'm in the middle of three awesome action RPGs that are all very different from each other right now. The first one is Borderlands. I'm probably about 6 hours in right now and I have to say if a game can be perfect this one just might be. I am definitely going to want to do multiple play throughs with different character classes, and I got the Game of the Year Edition with all of the DLC included so I'll be playing this one for a long long time.

I also picked up Bastion when it was on sale the other day. I played for a few hours last night and I can see that one sucking up a lot of my time too.

Last but definitely not least is Monster World IV. I shouldn't need to give any introduction for that one. I guess it's not technically an action RPG but more of an exploration based platformer. Still, it's definitely one of the best games on the Genesis.

Riko, the video in your sig indicates you are playing as Ken and not C.Viper now? If you still use Viper it'd be cool to see a video of you fighting as her too.

RiKo
Mojo wrote :- The first one is Borderlands. I'm probably about 6 hours in right now and I have to say if a game can be perfect this one just might be

i'm quite interested in Borderlands, let us know if you are still enjoying it in another 6 hours.

Riko, the video in your sig indicates you are playing as Ken and not C.Viper now? If you still use Viper it'd be cool to see a video of you fighting as her too.

yes i'm mainly fighting as Ken at the moment. I am having a few health problems recently, and i just find Ken much easier to fight as when i am tired. Viper has quite a short energy bar so you either need to be very alert or just attacking all the time.

There is a video of me fighting as Viper here

YouTube Video

(I thought it was a bit harsh when Makoto sat on my head at the end of the first round lol)

although my play-style isnt very Viper-like in that video, part of that was my opponent because Makoto usually tries to attack you in straight lines horizontally, so i was countering that and also i was mainly fighting as Ken at that time and it seemed to change my fighting style as Viper.
Edited by RiKo on 23. December 2011 15:12

candycab
Skyrim on PC.

Been playing since launch and I'm just about out of things to do in the game so it will be getting shelved soon.

Alpha Protocol PS3

Weird controls ruined this game for me. I'm intrigued bye the game but just cant get into the controls at all.

L.A. Noire once it finishes downloading from PSN Grin

Borderlands is one of the few games I have steadily played since its release and after playing through the entire game and DLC its still a very satisfying fun game. That's a big accomplishment when it comes to FPS games since I completely lost interest in anything FPS related after Half-Life. If Borderlands was the standard FPS fare I wouldn't have even gave the game a second look.

The constant quest to find better weapons most of which are really fun to shoot along with its somewhat RPG nature and great overall presentation make this game something special imho.
Edited by candycab on 25. December 2011 09:27
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

RiKo
Borderlands sounds really good, i think i will definitely get hold of that at some point. What did you think of Skyrim Candycab?

I am still playing SSFIV (surprise surprise) but i have now added Robotron 2084 to my playlist. I have the Midway Treasures compilation on the original Xbox, and wow that compilation is awesome! Joust, Defender, Paperboy etc etc. They might not make games like they used to, but we can now play plenty of games they used to make Smile

It is a bit mind blowing that a game from 1982 can be so manic and play so good at the same time. I like it for the same reason i like SFFIV - its like a drug - your brain is always occcupied, there's no downtime. I do have Geometry Wars 2 which is really an update on Robotron, but in some ways i prefer Robotron, it has more character and i like trying to save the family too.

BTW i'm going to put up some SF videos of me losing, cos i do lose quite often too. Don't want to just have vids of me winning. Hopefully they will be good fights though Smile
Edited by RiKo on 27. December 2011 19:07

shion
I've never been one who enjoys hard-as-nails games, but Contra Hard Corps. (GEN) is so masterfully done, I've been addicted to it for the past month. It's like VG crack. Slowly, but surely I'm learning the ropes.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
NeoGeoNinja
1st Super Tobalman wrote:
I've never been one who enjoys hard-as-nails games, but Contra Hard Corps. (GEN) is so masterfully done, I've been addicted to it for the past month. It's like VG crack. Slowly, but surely I'm learning the ropes.

I NEVER GOT ON...
as well as I should have done with Hard Corps. After having the SNES' Super Probotector in my SNES library since it came out, I got Hard Corps for MD a few years back and just couldn't get along with the controls. If only they had embraced the 6-button controller as an option, perhaps I could have been better engaged?

The feel of the gameplay and the graphics, and music etc all feel spot on though. Like for like with the SNES imo (which IS a good thing). However, I definitely prefer the more epic feel of the SNES version. I love the ability to select characters in the MD version though Hmm

It's just one of those cases, where we have half a dozen of one, and six of the other I guess.

3-button layout FTL though :(

Ninja

candycab
Skyrim ........ It has some real issues that make it a bargain bin buy at best.

I'm sure some will come away with a different opinion on the game than myself but this is what its been like for me.

If you played Oblivion at all then Skyrim wont impress much as it shouldn't since it really doesn't seem to be anything more than Oblivion 2.0. Obviously the story line isn't the same but using the same game engine it has all the oblivion technical issues like random flying objects etc which can be pretty hilarious at times.

Nothing like coming into a room and food randomly throws itself off of a table at Mach 2 Grin

That said its a definite improvement in every area except graphics which are dull and muted looking in comparison. The combat is better in that the enemies aren't tethered to your level so some are weak and others will crush you like a bug as it should be imho.

Melee combat is pretty crappy in general since there are few moves that are actually different from the base hard or weak attack swings. Couple that with enemies that constantly move and you are left swatting at air since the animations have to play all the way through before you can swing again. There are a few cool death animations [a lot like FAPS external kill camera shots] like cutting someones head off when using a power attack but they occur very randomly so its not worth the hassle of using melee attacks to see them.

In short the combat comes down to do whoever can close the distance first with a ranged weapon will have the upper hand, but again enemies move all over so that can be a pain with having to lead the target with all your arrow shots and similar magic. Using a stealth approach to combat works the best as you get good damage from cloaked critical hits but that can be rather boring as well.

After a while the side quests are really lame generic things like assassinating the same people over and over again or sneak into a business and change their sales ledgers or extort them for money owed.

Main story quests are OK but nothing we all haven't done before in every other RPG, saving the kingdom etc. The dungeons are all pretty linear and only slightly vary in design and looks. Loot tends to be worth very little money or run of the mill weapons and armor even when locked in a very difficult to open chest or behind a locked door so adventure looting gets to be pointless after you play for a while and have decent weapons and armor. Picking a lock for 2 minutes only to find 5gp in it afterward is just poor game design since the find better loot perks don't seem to actually change anything.

I have enjoyed playing in the game world and exploring etc but this game really isn't anything remotely special and quite honestly doesn't deserve even half of the praise it has gotten. It really does just feel like a tweaked version of Oblivion {minus the horse armorGrin} and nothing more. I opted for the PC version solely for what the modding community will do with this game in the coming months [even though I despise having to use Steam] but with the current state of the game I would avoid it on a console and considering the amount of AAA titles in the market place right now I certainly wouldn't pay full price for it on any platform. You wont miss a thing waiting for a price drop on this one.
Edited by candycab on 28. December 2011 12:28
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

hitorkori
never got on with oblivion so skyrim is a no no for me but i finally opened up my sealed copy of rage on 360 which i bought 2 months bk! IM enjoying it fps with buggy combat racing in a post apocalyptic world, some nice ai on later enemies & nice weapon upgrades u can build if you get plans/parts on disc 2 about 9 hrs so far nice game. also got super street fighter arcade edition on disc of freind as present so il give that a bash sometime !

candycab
Rage is actually on my frivolous spending list sometime in the near future Smile

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Jump to Forum: