Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: candycab
Thread ID: 301
This Thread Is Sticky
This thread is sticky & may contain important information. There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 2 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What are you playing ?
reelmojo
Now that my game room is set up I've been playing my older systems. I've played a little Last Blade 2 on Dreamcast since my copy arrived in the mail recently. I also put in my recently purchased copy of Killer 7 and was overcome by weirdness. That one is going to take some getting used to before I can really get into it.

But the game I've been playing the most is Wonderboy in Monster World. I am loving this game! Since Monster World IV is supposed to come to XBLA soon I figured I should play this one in preparation. I'm pretty far right now, I just made it to Nightmare Castle which has one of the best songs in Genesis history!

YouTube Video

AngelaAsakura
My bro and I have been co-oping Gain Ground and Golden Axe I, II, and III quite a bit. Gain Ground is harder than sin, but also a total blast.
Edited by AngelaAsakura on 27. August 2011 04:46
farm6.staticflickr.com/5160/7182649455_b7024d0591.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/AngelaAsakura/
NeoGeoNinja
AngelaAsakura wrote:
My bro and I have been co-oping Gain Ground and Golden Axe I, II, and III quite a bit...

DO YOU LIKE THE...
Golden Axe series then Angela? I'll be honest, that even when they were 'hot property' (when I were a wee child), I always found those games VERY "meh" in the gameplay department... even 20 years ago (my God, you weren't even born! Shock).

Glad to see the younger generation (gulp!) enjoying classic gaming though. It's just so much more... special Smile

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

shion
Mojo, I still have to try WBMW. WBML is one of my all-time favorites, but I hear they changed the gameplay in Monster World. It was an impressive first gen release for the Genesis/Mega Drive, but I'm curious how it's held up through time. It just seems like run-of-the-mill platforming, just an observation though. I'll have to try it out when I get a chance. Also, I tried the Sailor Moon game for the Genesis, and I was left wanting a tad more from the gameplay. The action isn't on the mark; it seems like it's been toned down for the demographics or something... The best thing about it the background. Many of the backgrounds were unique, and is a nice, much needed break from generic, abandoned warehouses, docks, streets (in the bad part of town), subways, rooftops of sky scrapers, etc.

I can't put down 3tb (DC). From what I've gathered, it's one of those love it or hate it games. Some of the unique features are the uneven stages, realistic jumping and evade button. Sure, they add new dynamics to the game, but at its core 3tb still plays like a VF game. The changes aren't as drastic as the critics make them out to be... I would even say it's better than the arcade version. I would say this is better than VF4, overall, since the player (old enough to remember) gets the satisfaction of having an arcade perfect port of a game that was popular when arcades were still big. VF4, IIRC, was released in the arcades, but at a time when arcades were dead (as was VF5), and was more known as a home console game. In short, as a former arcade goer, I just didn't get the same satisfaction playing the later additions (as technically amazing as they are) for this reason. I'm seriously considering getting an X-Arcade "tank" stick just for this awesome game!
Edited by shion on 27. August 2011 19:30

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
NeoStrayCat
3rd Strike Online for both systems, its awesome, also getting MK Kollection soon.
card.exophase.com/1/712966.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
AngelaAsakura
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
DO YOU LIKE THE...
Golden Axe series then Angela? I'll be honest, that even when they were 'hot property' (when I were a wee child), I always found those games VERY "meh" in the gameplay department... even 20 years ago (my God, you weren't even born! Shock).

Glad to see the younger generation (gulp!) enjoying classic gaming though. It's just so much more... special Smile

Ninja

LOL Yeah. By the time I was born, a lot of good stuff had already come and gone in the gaming department.

I pretty much agree with you that the GA series isn't that great. In my opinion, the gameplay in all three games have always lacked something. I especially am not fond of GAIII. The music doesn't fit, and the two new characters are average. The multiple routes are nice, though.
Edited by AngelaAsakura on 27. August 2011 20:15

NeoGeoNinja
1st Super Tobalman wrote:
I can't put down 3tb (DC). From what I've gathered, it's one of those love it or hate it games. Some of the unique features are the uneven stages, realistic jumping and evade button. Sure, they add new dynamics to the game, but at its core 3tb still plays like a VF game. The changes aren't as drastic as the critics make them out to be... I would even say it's better than the arcade version. I would say this is better than VF4, overall, since the player (old enough to remember) gets the satisfaction of having an arcade perfect port of a game that was popular when arcades were still big. VF4, IIRC, was released in the arcades, but at a time when arcades were dead (as was VF5), and was more known as a home console game. In short, as a former arcade goer, I just didn't get the same satisfaction playing the later additions (as technically amazing as they are) for this reason. I'm seriously considering getting an X-Arcade "tank" stick just for this awesome game!

GOOD TO HEAR YOU'VE BEEN...
enjoying the good old (old?) DC Tobalman! Thumbs Up

Indeed, 3TB is a decent entry in the VF series, but the original VF4 will always be my favourite version, as for me, it was the PERFECT VF before Evo (which is still great) came along and changed a whole lot of things, namely my main character: Sarah - beyond recognition.

Anyway, not to piss on your parade or anything dude, but VF3 DC is quite NOT the Arcade Perfect experience I'm afraid. In fact, it's pretty well known as being a bit of a let down as far as conversions go. This DOES NOT in anyway make this a bad game in it's own right, it's just that like SEGA Rally 2 alongside it, both were quite off the mark in terms of Arcade Perfect delivery - SR2 more so. Problem was, for some STUPID reason (unbeknown to me still) SEGA decided to outsource development of both those AAA titles to lesser known developer Genki, thus, not converted/developed in house by AM2 I'm afraid - although I'm sure they must've had some involvement.

So, all in all, unfortunately Model 3 Virtua Fighter 3 kills the DC version I'm afraid. Like I said though, the DC version is still awesome, regardless... Smile

Ninja

STE C
Its crazy that Sega outsourced them games it really is , the biggest console launch of the 90s and Sega's last chance to get back on top yet they outsource 2 of the biggest early titles its crazy. My only assumption is that all the manpower at the time was on Sonic Adventure but Sega even then still had plenty of mighty R&D studios so I dont get it. I love SR2 but the slow down on the corners is painful because the DC is more than capable of running the game, I recall at the time it gave the PS mags ammunition to slag the DC off saying it could not handle SR2.

I know the M3 arcade board is actually more powerful than the DC but the reason Sega went Naomi was to keep the costs down for home and arcade as the M3 board was very expensive to produce. Wonder how things would have been if Sega had just made the DC M3 based ( maybe would have got our beloved Scud Race) which everyone at the time assumed Sega were gonna do. Back to VF3tb its actually my fave VF despite its flaws yet I have never seen an original cab so I thankfully I dont know the graphical differences which is maybe for the best. As for SR2 its a game still common in Seaside arcades and last time I saw it I could not recall any huge differences between the DC version although I suspect it runs at 60frs all the time.
Edited by STE C on 28. August 2011 10:07

NeoGeoNinja
STE C wrote:As for SR2 its a game still common in Seaside arcades and last time I saw it I could not recall any huge differences between the DC version although I suspect it runs at 60frs all the time.

YEAH, THEY'RE THERE ALRIGHT...
not only the constant 60fps, but also the detail, models and textures are quite superior too. It plays 'fine' though. Just a huge disappointment I'm afraid. Some... some even call it the Daytona USA of the DC! Bit extreme perhaps, but I see the likeness.

VF3, due to it perhaps being of a more limited nature (a fighting game) definitely turned out the better of the two. Although, the Model 3 gap is still the same with VF3 too...

Ninja

AngelaAsakura
Dream Mix TV World Fighters. I've been trying to get the Gamecube version to work on emulators for awhile now, but eventually I just had to throw in the towel and download the PS2 version. And that one works great except for some annoying graphical glitches that make it IMPOSSIBLE to tell where the fudge you are on the screen.

Overall, it's a pretty darn weird SSB clone, but heck, I just can't resist the idea of being able to play as Simon Belmont and Solid Snake in the same game!
Edited by AngelaAsakura on 28. August 2011 19:05

reelmojo
I downloaded the PS2 version of Dream Mix too and the only problems I had were with cutscenes sometimes running a bit choppy. Of course, they're all in Japanese so that didn't matter one bit for me. Are you running on real hardware or just an emulator? I've got Swap Magic 3 Plus for my PS2 and I've loved it. It's a great way to try before you buy, and it allows you to play imports. Downloading has allowed me to save money by finding out I don't want to import some games (like Metal Slug 3D and Dream Mix), shown me some games are definitely worth my money (like some of the Sega Ages games like Nights and Last Bronx), and even allowed me to play really obscure stuff that I would have never even heard about otherwise (Glass Rose). The only negative is that it doesn't work with PS1 games, but those usually emulate pretty well so it's all good.

Oh, and I disagree wholeheartedly with both you and Ninja that the Golden Axe games aren't awesome!

Also, I love your Labyrinth sig!

AngelaAsakura
reelmojo wrote:
I downloaded the PS2 version of Dream Mix too and the only problems I had were with cutscenes sometimes running a bit choppy. Of course, they're all in Japanese so that didn't matter one bit for me. Are you running on real hardware or just an emulator? I've got Swap Magic 3 Plus for my PS2 and I've loved it. It's a great way to try before you buy, and it allows you to play imports. Downloading has allowed me to save money by finding out I don't want to import some games (like Metal Slug 3D and Dream Mix), shown me some games are definitely worth my money (like some of the Sega Ages games like Nights and Last Bronx), and even allowed me to play really obscure stuff that I would have never even heard about otherwise (Glass Rose). The only negative is that it doesn't work with PS1 games, but those usually emulate pretty well so it's all good.

Oh, and I disagree wholeheartedly with both you and Ninja that the Golden Axe games aren't awesome!

Also, I love your Labyrinth sig!

Thanks. Grin I love my sig too. Definitely gonna be keeping it for awhile.

I've been using a PS2 Emulator that I just NOW figured out how to get running. I was thinking though that said graphical glitches in DMTVWF might not be a ROM problem so much as it is a Emulator plugin/BIOS problem since I experienced a similar issue with Itadaki Street Special.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me about MS3D. I've wanted to try that one out for awhile, depite watching a youtube video of some of the cutscenes and feeling that it was quite average.

reelmojo
I just finished Wonderboy in Monster World. What an epic finale! Tobalman, if you like WBML I definitely recommend this one too. Since it wasn't developed as an arcade game there's no time limit so the exploration is a lot more fleshed out. I definitely didn't find everything and I did a lot of extra exploring. I think the action is very well balanced, it slowly gets harder as the game progresses and then really ramps it up near the end. Nightmare Castle is home to a platforming challenge that gives Mega Man's disappearing blocks a run for their money. It's definitely one of my favorite Genesis games now. I really hope the series picks up enough new fans with the upcoming rerelease of MWIV that Sega makes a new one. Rebooting the entire series would be a good way to avoid all of the crazy naming problems.

Angela, I and most other people can tell you that MS3D is not good but if you're like me you'll have to try it for yourself. Stage 1 starts innocently enough. It's actually kinda fun to point Marco in the general direction of things, pull the trigger and stuff blows up all over. After that things really start to fall apart. Ironically, this is also the point that they introduce the actual Metal Slug.

Changing plugins on your emulator might fix your graphical problems but it's also possible that certain PS2 games just don't emulate correctly yet. Hopefully you can find a plugin that'll make them work though because those are both pretty interesting games. Although, I would definitely enjoy Itadaki Street more if it were in English. Still it's hard to resist a game with both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest characters together.

TF73
Been out on the road lately so my PSP have been used a little bit. Phantasy Star Portable 2 and Neo Turf Masters have got some attention.

AngelaAsakura
reelmojo wrote:
Angela, I and most other people can tell you that MS3D is not good but if you're like me you'll have to try it for yourself. Stage 1 starts innocently enough. It's actually kinda fun to point Marco in the general direction of things, pull the trigger and stuff blows up all over. After that things really start to fall apart. Ironically, this is also the point that they introduce the actual Metal Slug.

Changing plugins on your emulator might fix your graphical problems but it's also possible that certain PS2 games just don't emulate correctly yet. Hopefully you can find a plugin that'll make them work though because those are both pretty interesting games. Although, I would definitely enjoy Itadaki Street more if it were in English. Still it's hard to resist a game with both Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest characters together.

Ouch. Definitely sounds like a trainwreck of a game. x.x

I did manage to fix my graphical issues. Turns out that I had forgotten to configure my GFX plugin before using the emulator.

I agree. I can safely say that Itadaki Street Special would be a dream come true for my mom had it gotten a US release. XD

RiKo
Yesterday i spend my (Super) Streetfighter IV session online trying to play as Crimson Viper. but I lost every game. I think i am the world's worst Crimson Viper player! I am determined to get good though. I have been watching videos on YTube today to get tips. I really like this one.

YouTube Video

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
RiKo
woo i am getting better as Crimosn Viper. I actually got a double perfect but it was against a weird person so i cant count that unfortunately. I did run some people very close - people who were much better than me, so im pleased with how my Crimosn Viper playing is progressing, although im still not very good as her. I will keep practicing. I think her style just isnt my natural style of play. I really like her burn knuckles they are very useful.

I have found that a really good tip as any fighter is to not use your super art for a while when it becomes available. Almost every opponent I have fought turns very cautious when they see you have it - and if you keep using normal moves they dont expect it and you can catch them out a lot.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
reelmojo
Crimson Viper is a very complex character to play as, but she is extremely deadly in the right hands. In my time online with SFIV I noticed a lot of people were picking here that didn't know how to use her effectively so I killed them. Then I'd run into a good C.Viper player and I'd have no answer for almost everything they did.

I've been playing Final Fantasy VI because I've never completed it. I'm really enjoying it, especially now that I'm far enough in that I actually have to pay attention to the battles. Toward the beginning the battles are way too easy, and just when they give you tougher enemies you get Edgar with his Auto Crossbow that almost kills everything in one hit. Then you fight Ultros and things get real.

shion
Guys, I had a recent epiphany and can now play Chinese mahjong proficiently... So, as you may gather, I've been doing various (retro) mahjong games as of late. Would you believe there are a few for the DC even? However, I really like Mahjong Lover for the Genesis/Mega Drive; a lot of the functions are auto, which is really convenient. Oh, plus there are the chicks! Anyone else a casual player? Grin

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
NeoGeoNinja
NEAR THE END OF...
No More Heroes 2 (Wii). It's a great game overall, but definitely a peak candidate for winner of the 'Style over Substance' awards.

It's still fantastic though Grin

Ninja

Jump to Forum: