Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: candycab
Thread ID: 301
This Thread Is Sticky
This thread is sticky & may contain important information. There's also files attached.
  View Thread
Who is here? 2 guest(s)
 Print Thread
What are you playing ?
RiKo
Ninja wrote :- I'M QUITE THE ADVOCATE...
of TRLegend too. I think it's a great game and was a fantastic addition and redirection of, what was, a stagnating series of great games. Anniversary was ok too, but not as immediate as Legend. Anniversary is one for the traditionalists I think

I really like Legend too. what did you think of Underworld? i never really got round to playing it that much. the boat looked nice though Smile

I have been playing Blazing Star and Outrun HD recently. I love playing Outrun when i come home after a day out but just for a few goes. (Games like Outrun are better when you arent entirely sure where you are going) Blazing Star must have some of the most amazing bosses ever. I never really noticed before. they are all really varied.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
reelmojo
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
I READ YOUR ENTIRE POST, BUT...

reelmojo wrote:
Back at home I've been playing through Enslaved again. It's still probably the most gorgeous game I've ever seen...

I played the demo of this game and REALLY enjoyed it too, which I honestly didnt expect. I plan on picking it up one day... for an even cheaper price than how cheap it is now! Not out of disrespect for the game, but out of sheer poverty! Grin
We can't always have money for every game we want, especially gamers like us who still spend money on classic games. Still, when you do get it I assure you that it is worth whatever price you'll end up paying.

Also, I just bought Soul Calibur IV for $15. Playing it the other day made me realize that it is worlds better than SC3 and I have no reason not to own it. I got it on 360, so it's the Yoda version.

And the Tomb Raider talk, I never played Legend but Underworld is pretty awesome. I haven't played too far into it yet but I've definitely enjoyed it so far. I look forward to the reboot too.

RiKo
Thanks Mojo about Underworld. Thumbs Up

I got my Vectrex games i ordered a week or so back. I got Thrust, Frogger, Vecmania (compilation of various games), Galaxians, Protector + Y.A.S.I

My favourite was a really good version of Missile Command called Patriots Remix (on Vecmania). Thrust is really cool for the vectrex too. Protector is a very good version of Defender but there didnt seem to be a planet surface which is a bit disappointing:(

EDIT thats weird the one on youtube does have a surface. i will have to try it again. maybe it was a bug.

YouTube Video

Edited by RiKo on 06. August 2011 14:28

NeoGeoNinja
RiKo wrote:
Protector is a very good version of Defender but there didnt seem to be a planet surface which is a bit disappointing:(

EDIT thats weird the one on youtube does have a surface. i will have to try it again. maybe it was a bug.

IS IT SUPPOSED TO BE...
the same Protector (& SE) that came out on the Jaguar, or is Protector just a 'common' denominator title for Defender clones? Hmm

YouTube Video

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

RiKo
I have noticed that but i have no idea if they are by the same person. Protector on Vectrex was originally released as Protector : LE (Limited edition, it came with a screen-overlay) which make them sound even more similar. The Vectrex one is written by Alex Herbert if that helps. They do seem to play quite different though which makes me think they are by different people.

I suppose its the only obvious word that means the same as Defender so is probably just a coincidence. Jeff Minter made a hash of Defender 2000 didnt he? lol

phry
Hello - Long time no post, so I thought'd this'll be a place to start Smile

Currently playing:
Hard Corps Uprising on 360
MvC 3 on 360
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney on iOS
Left 4 Dead on Mac (got both L4D 1+2 for a fiver on a steam sale recently - bargain!)

However, not been on 360 in a while. My account is locked pending investigation as some hacker thought it'd be funny to purchase 10000 MS points on my account. Either that or MS screwed up the records somewhere.

Anyways, I'm good and getting ready to move to a new flat in Newcastle Upon Tyne. Hows everyone and their gaming doing?

shion
On my search for everything action-RPG, I finally decided to see what the PSX readily had to offer. Despite the warnings, and my better judgement, I decided to give Mythologies Sub Zero a go. Let me just say now that MKMSZ pushes the limit of what can be considered one; imagine a long strip of stage to walk (and jump) through with lots of generic bad guys littered throughout. Leveling up will gain you more moves. Add mechanics resembling MK3, and you got this game. It gets worse: there is actually a button to turn (this should've been auto! Annoyed ). The controls bring the gameplay down to a new low; jumping from platform to platform in the wind stage is a nightmare. I spent literally dozens of tries trying to do the simplest of things because of how off the controls are. Really, you want to avoid this unbelievably frustrating game!
Edited by shion on 12. August 2011 07:10

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
reelmojo
I still want to play MK Mythologies, but apparently not very badly because I've never touched it once and it's like 15 years old. It looks like it could have been a good game, but they just failed miserably.

I've mostly been playing Soul Calibur IV lately. While I do enjoy it (especially the create a character mode) I find myself reminded of why I pretty much stopped playing 3D fighters altogether. They're fun for a while, but I just don't get the satisfaction out of them like I do with 2D fighters. Although it was pretty awesome taking my create a character version of Samurai Shodown's Ukyo and kicking a Siegfried players ass online. I'll probably mess around and make a few more SamSho characters before I'm done. It shouldn't be hard at all to make a pretty accurate Charlotte, Hanzo, Galford, and maybe Suzu.

NeoGeoNinja
reelmojo wrote:
I still want to play MK Mythologies, but apparently not very badly because I've never touched it once and it's like 15 years old. It looks like it could have been a good game, but they just failed miserably.

YEAH, ME TOO...
However, although I'm willing to give the game a go, would you believe that it's actually prohibitively expensive?! At least for PAL copies of the game anyway. I'd get it for the N64 probably, but last time I checked it was 10's of 's.

I'm not paying that. 10 - 12 Max (complete, in good condition)

Ninja

RiKo
Mojo wrote :- I've mostly been playing Soul Calibur IV lately. While I do enjoy it (especially the create a character mode) I find myself reminded of why I pretty much stopped playing 3D fighters altogether. They're fun for a while, but I just don't get the satisfaction out of them like I do with 2D fighters.

I just didnt like SCIV from the outset. I dont know why. The original Soul Calibur on Dreamcast is one of my favourite games ever (still). I didnt like all the fancy armour (seemed over the top) and the backgrounds just didnt seem as bright and the characters not as sharp looking. i suspect i havent given it enough time.

You should try Tekken 6 Mojo that is my favourite proper 3D fighter (i consider SFIV to be 2.5D) . Whats great about Tekken 6 is that you have all the characters unlocked from the outset. I still really like DOA4 as well but that's not to everyones taste. i wish they would release a new DOA now.

I have been playing Resident Evil 5. I think when you get over its not RE4 its actually quite an impressive game. i really like the team-up mechanic with Sheva. and she is actually very useful as a partner. I would.

reelmojo
I'll try Tekken 6 eventually. Like I said I do enjoy 3D fighters, just not to the level I enjoy 2d ones. I really like DOA4 too and I've been looking forward to what Team Ninja is going to do with the series without Itagaki there for a while. I've always been a fan of the DOA games.

RE5 is quite fun, especially in co-op. I think it gets a lot of heat because it's not better than 4 and (most importantly to me) it's not remotely scary. RE used to be a horror series, now it's a shooter. Still fun, but it's not the same.

Oh yeah, I've also been playing Mortal Kombat too. It's wildly entertaining to see Freedy Krueger in that game.

NeoGeoNinja
RiKo wrote:
I just didnt like SCIV from the outset. I dont know why. The original Soul Calibur on Dreamcast is one of my favourite games ever (still). I didnt like all the fancy armour (seemed over the top) and the backgrounds just didnt seem as bright and the characters not as sharp looking. i suspect i havent given it enough time.

You should try Tekken 6 Mojo that is my favourite proper 3D fighter (i consider SFIV to be 2.5D) . Whats great about Tekken 6 is that you have all the characters unlocked from the outset. I still really like DOA4 as well but that's not to everyones taste. i wish they would release a new DOA now.

I have been playing Resident Evil 5. I think when you get over its not RE4 its actually quite an impressive game. i really like the team-up mechanic with Sheva. and she is actually very useful as a partner. I would.

JUST READ ALL THIS...
and felt that I 100% agree with it all!

I also didn't like SC4 from the outset either. I didn't like how the game 'felt' vs the prequels (felt heavier, clunkier and less immediate somehow) and... DEFINITELY, the outfits were really OTT, especially the likes of Siegfried, who's makeover from Edge to Calibur was nothing short of amazing!

Tekken 6 is definitely the best modern 3D fighter to date. If VF series didn't exist, I'd probably plump for it being T H E best 3D fighter ever. Still, as much as I LOVE the VF series, I admire the greater level of personality Tekken has, whilst still remaining serious. I suppose it just carries charisma, again something SC definitely doesn't have. Not really. I think Edge and SC1 had a bit, but it was in decline from SC2 onwards.

Agreed (with you both!) on RE5 too. IF... you try and categorise it as a game in it's own right, it's actually decent. Sad reality is though, that it IS the sequel to the ongoing series of legend, that is Resident Evil. What can I say? If Capcom REALLY wanted to swing the series back round in to the realm of the great, then I think they're MORE than capable of doing it. It's really up to them. Do we just get 'another' sequel, to RE5... or do we get a proper sequel that can better RE4... 6 or more years on? Hmm

TO CUT BACK...
to 3D fighters; I too used to be a purveyor of all things DOA! It all started to go downhill imo when Tecmo announced that DOA3 was Xbox ONLY. As much as the gfx of this game were definitely breathtaking at the time, it just didn't feel right playing that game on an Xbox - especially via the 'Duke' controller! Thumbs Down

My favourite DOA was the original, as it was a 'new face' to 3D fighting at the time and, imo, it genuinely gave Tekken and VF a run for it's money when it was released in the Arcades. I remember playing it in Blackpool and was really impressed with it... especially the gfx, characters, fighting styles, and of course... the danger zones! The game believed in itself, took itself seriously and I definitely bought into it. I eventually bought it for the PS1, and still really enjoyed it, but it was quit a long time after the Arcade versions release IIRC. Plus, the import Saturn version was a port of the actual Arcade Version, which annoyed me a bit too at the time (remember seeing it in SSM and thinking *wow*).

DOA2 was also fantastic, and came at a time early in the DC's lifespan BEFORE the PS2 etc existed, thus when compared with the likes of Tekken 3 etc at the time, it just wiped the floor... with everything before it, as the gfx were breathtaking as was the fludity of the game and gameplay in general. Plus, at the time, it was the sequel to one of my fave 3D fighters of the (then) last gen. DOA2 completely sold the DC to me, as such, I bought a DC then just to play DOA2!

Years later, I remember seeing DOA3 on launch, as a friend had the cash to buy a beasty Xbox! Undeniably, it was amazing. Characters all looked great and the gameplay was sharp too. Another great entry into the DOA series imo, overshadowed by the fact that such a Japanese inspired title was released exclusively for a then unknown, and untested quantity: The Xbox. For all intents and purposes though, it was probably the bets in the series, on the whole.

But then, there's DOA4. I had this when I briefly owned a 360, just because I wanted to play it. It may well have been the best DOA yet, but unfortunately, due to what I saw as a lack of advances in the series (vs previous installments = high expectations) it really fell flat to me... more like a DOA3 in HD with some extra, non-event characters. I'm sure that this probably wasn't the case, but that's how it felt. So, DOA 'died' for me with the uninspired DOA4 imo.

Sorry for the long post. It was completely unintentional! But I think my issues with DOA are something I've perhaps never 'vocally' addressed before in detail Cool

Ninja

RiKo
@Mojo You're right RE5 is not very scary. i think its quite good in a way to have a totally different game to RE4 as a sequel. I remember thinking RE3 was crap just because it was so similar to RE2. It would be nice if for the next game they build on what they did with RE4 though.

@Ninja With SCIV i also didnt like the presentation and all the modes they gave you. They had been going that way since SCIII and it seemed to be really going into the whole story thing a bit too much.

I do really want to try and get into VF properly. i think i just like the accessiblity and fun of Tekken combined with the depth it has too.

My thoughts on DOA are that is is surely the game everyone wanted when they were kids. A fight in a truely 3-dimensional arena where you can throw people off buildings into rivers and have fights in the middle of a busy road. I missed DOA 1 but DOA2 was hailed as a truly next-generation fighting game at the time and it seemed like it

I had DOA3 and DOA Ultimate on Xbox, and liked them both a lot. I agree DOA 2 was amazing on Dreamcast. I remember when it came out in the arcade people thoght it used 3 Naomi boards linked up because it was so far ahead of any other Naomi games. It was actually the first game i bought on my Dreamcast too and i dont think anything after surpassed it graphically.

I also agree about DOA4, it was probably my most played 360 game at first but it does look a lot like a launch game now. I think some of the pre-rendered end game videos showed the direction they should have taken with the art for the game rather than sticking with the perfect mannequin/child like girl figures from the past. I do think it is the best in the series, but its just not much of a step forward from the previous games. The reversals now have very small windows in which to activate them which i think makes it play better. If Itagaki hadnt left Tecmo i believe there would have been a new one by now on the 360. He seemed to have something against the Playstation ever since Sony made him redo DOA2 on that console, so maybe now it will be multi-format again?
Edited by RiKo on 13. August 2011 14:41

RiKo
I have just been playing Test Drive Unlimited (360). It's really good, i like that you can see other online players driving about too. The fact that its all open-world gives you a nice sense of freedom. I am enjoying it so far Smile

AngelaAsakura
I've been playing a lot of Darius Gaiden and G Darius lately. Good stuff.
farm6.staticflickr.com/5160/7182649455_b7024d0591.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/AngelaAsakura/
cthulhu
AngelaAsakura wrote:
I've been playing a lot of Darius Gaiden and G Darius lately. Good stuff.

Both great games, although I suck at them.

Been playing Arcana Heart 2 a lot lately...although it has some things that I don't like, it's still a great game. I'm glad I bought the arcade version and not the PS2 one, as that's really a crappy port. Now I still want to buy Sugoi! Arcana Heart 2 and eventually when it becomes cheaper Arcana Heart 3.
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

reelmojo
My game room is in a state of disrepair at the moment as I'm finally remodeling everything. My old TV will finally be hooked up so I can hook up all my old systems. To make room for all of this I'm actually mounting my HDTV on the wall. And that's why things are in shambles right now. I can't lift the thing up that high on my own!

Since I can't play any of my consoles at the moment I was randomly clicking around my MAME collection today when something made me try out Crossed Swords again. I never liked it before, but I spent a lot of time with it today. It's brutally difficult, but it's really fun! I would have hated it in the arcade since it would have taken all of my quarters, but at home I really enjoy it. I plan on giving the NeoCD exclusive sequel a go pretty soon.

shion
Crossed Swords! It is technically an A-RPG (action-role playing game). The RPG elements are pretty light, at best, as we may all know. I enjoy it because I always do the special attacks (although I know this would've have been impossible in the arcades, unless you were a millionaire or something). The game can be frustrating anticipating and countering the rock/scissors/paper exchanges for 1.5 hours needless to say this is a quarter killer! I haven't tried CS2 either, but one day will. I guess I keep it on the back burner so I have a reason to eventually come back to the N-G CD. Please let me know what you thought of the sequel. Smile
Edited by shion on 20. August 2011 04:55

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
RiKo
I have been playing Halo on Xbox1. I am really enjoying it at the moment. For some reason I prefer it initially to Halo 3 which i havent really had a proper-go at yet just because it didnt grab me straight away. I have also noticed that the Xbox 1 analogue stick is better then the 360 analogue stick. I find it more accurate and a little stiffer.

I read recently in an interview with Bungie that Halo 1 has more code dedicated to AI (artificial intelligence) than Halo 3 so it actually has better AI in some ways. Apparently this is because more processing time is needed on the 360 for line-of-sight checks since the gemometry of the characters and levels is now much more complictaed .

Halo has really good AI. I think that is why it is so popular. Its good they spent less resources making good graphics and more on how the enemies behave. More games should do this i think.

merlin
Good to see some Crossed Swords love in this thread! The sequel is better in some ways because of having three characters to choose from and being able to use the full width of the screen in two player mode. However I'll always slightly prefer the first game. The journey through the land of Belcana leading up to the final showdown against Nausizz in the Devil World of Graisia just seems that bit more epic.

Like you guys say it's quite a 'quarter muncher' this game. Watching the animations of the enemies to see if they're going to hit high or low and then blocking accordingly is difficult to do. I'd be amazed if anyone can 1CC this game.

I find that playing this on NGCD is better than on AES. On AES you only have one continue so you have to keep using the memory card to make your way through the game and having to face all the bosses in the last scene is incredibly tough. Playing on NGCD the game has freeplay and also no loading time except at the very start.

I've been alternating between playing shoot 'em ups on 360 such as Ikaruga, DDP DOJ, Ketsui and also a lot of Red Orchestra online. Playing Red Orchestra online is the best multiplayer FPS experience I've ever had. The maps are varied and very well designed with some supporting up to 50 people. With the higher than average realism in the game and the enjoyable teamwork this is a must for FPS fans.

http://www.youtub...1xN3BqCPw8

Jump to Forum: