Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: The eccentric cat
Thread ID: 2996
Thread Info
There are 20 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 9354 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
How would you rate Street Hoops?
Excellent! Its a great game for the NeoGeo! Excellent! Its a great game for the NeoGeo! 42%[5 Votes]
Really good! Its not the best, but its certainly a lot of fun! Really good! Its not the best, but its certainly a lot of fun! 42%[5 Votes]
Average, its ok, but not too good either Average, its ok, but not too good either 8%[1 Vote]
Poorly, really not worth spending time into Poorly, really not worth spending time into 8%[1 Vote]
Total Votes : 12
 Print Thread
Street Hoops discussion
The eccentric cat
Sorry about the delays... But Game of the Week is back!

Street Hoop is one of the few sports games on the Neo Geo. It also seems to be inspired by NBA Jam.. Unfortunately, I've never tried it, so I don't have much to say.

Instead, come join the discussion thread!

Street Hoop

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_162/922298_88787_front_t2.jpg

Genre: Sports
Players: 2
Size: 94 megs
Released on: AES, MVS, Neo CD, Wii Virtual Console

Brief Description:

Street Hoop, known in Japan as Dunk Dream and known in North America as Street Slam, is a basketball game developed by Data East for Neo-Geo, released in 1994. Every team in both versions has a total of 18 points in several characteristics (Dunk, 3pts, Speed, and Defence), and 8pts max for each.
Every team has its own characteristic. For example, America (New York in the US Version) is good in dunks and bad in 3pts. Unlike Taiwan (Philadelphia in US version) which is good in 3pts and bad in dunks. There are 3 players for each team.

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_130/shooptitle.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_130/shoopintro.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_130/strhoopintro2.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_130/shoopselect.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_130/shoop1.jpeg

Reviews:

Street Hoop review by Kazuya_UK

Videos:

YouTube Video

Highscore Challenge:

http://www.neogeo...ad_id=2997

Past GOTW Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->

#2 Nam 1975 -->

#3 Pulstar -->

#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->

#5 Blues Journey -->

#6 Fatal Fury -->

#7 Shock Troopers -->

#8 Sengoku -->

#9 Ninja Commando -->

#10 Ninja Master's -->

#11 Crystalis -->

#12 Thrash Rally -->

#13 Art of Fighting -->

#14 Waku Waku 7 -->

#15 Andro Dunos -->

#16 KOF '94 -->

#17 Nightmare on the Dark -->

#18 Twinkle Star Sprites -->

#19 Zupapa -->

#20 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->

#21 The Last Blade -->

#22 Crossed Swords -->

#23 Cyber Lip -->

#24 Samurai Shodown -->

#25 King of the Monsters -->

#26 The King of Fighters '95 -->

#27 Fatal Fury 2 -->

#28 Aero Fighters 2 -->

#29 Neo Bomberman -->

#30 Metal Slug -->

#31 Kabuki Klash -->

#32 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->

#33 Mutation Nation -->

#34 Blazing Star -->

#35 World Heroes -->

#36 King of Fighters '96 -->

#37 Neo Drift Out -->

#38 Magical Drop 2 -->

#39 Top Hunter -->

#40 Savage Reign -->

#41 Metal Slug 2/X -->

#42 Alpha Mission 2 -->

#43 Aggresors of Dark Kombat -->

#44 Art of Fighting 2 -->

#45 Super Sidekicks -->

#46 Sengoku 2 -->

#47 Metal Slug 3 -->

#48 Burning Fight -->

#49 Money Puzzle Exchanger -->

#50 Panic Bomber: Bomberman -->

#51 King of Monsters 2 -->

#52 Samurai Shodown 2 -->

#53 World Heroes 2 -->

#54 Last Resort -->

#55 Rage of the Dragons -->

#56 League Bowling -->

#57 Metal Slug 4 -->

#58 Legend of Sucess Joe -->

#59 Puzzle Bobble -->

#60 Pochi and Nyaa -->

#61 Robo Army -->

#62 Captain Tomaday -->

#63 Metal Slug 5 -->

#64 King of Fighters '97 -->

#65 Athena/Psycho Soldier -->

#66 The Super Spy -->

#67 Strikers 1945 Plus -->

#68 Ghost Pilots -->

#69 Iron Tank -->

#70 Magical Drop 3-->

#71 Fatal Fury 3 -->

#72 Art of Fighting 3 -->

#73 Viewpoint -->

#74 Sonic Pocket Adventure -->

#75 Prehistoric Isle in 1930s -->

#76 Beast Busters -->

#77 Shock Troopers 2 -->

#78 Real Bout Fatal Fury -->

#79 Ninja Combat -->

#80 Neo Turf Masters -->

#81 Last Blade: Beyond the Destiny -->

#82 Bubble Bobble 2 -->

#83 King of Fighters '98 -->

#84 Wind Jammers -->

#85 Samurai Shodown III -->

#86 Puzzle de Pon/R -->

#87 Eight Man -->
Edited by The eccentric cat on 28. December 2010 21:28
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

valgalder
The game is a lot of fun 2 player. Can't say I played it much single player. The best part about this game though, IMO is the ridiculously (awesome) music. Got some fresh beats! haha

"We shoot three on three street basketball
If you want to get in you have to answer the call.
no short pass (? something) doesn't make any difference at all
when the whistle blows - it's a free for all !!

MAGIC ON THE BLACK TOP - WORK THAT BALL!

Shrug
Edited by valgalder on 16. November 2010 16:02

slangman
I don't really care much for sports games (especially basketball), but from looking at the YouTube videos, this looks pretty darn good. The soundtrack is actually very interesting.
I am curious what this one is like in single player.

I might try this one out some time via the Virtual Console.
Edited by slangman on 16. November 2010 17:05
i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/slangman2000/terry5.gif

Bullet
Yeah, I'm not really a fan of sports games myself, but arcade style sports tend to be more frantic and fun. As a kid I played games like Hit the Ice, NBA Jam etc and while I never owned a copy of Madden I still dig arcade style sports games now and then.
The Neo is home to some classic series like Baseball Stars, Super Sidekicks, 2020 Super Baseball, Neo Turf Masters etc.
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

valgalder
Ended up playing a few rounds before work today, single player and it's actually a lot of fun. Games tend to be close and competitive, especially because you have to make sure you outscore on the first half or lose a credit. All about learning defense. I'm pretty good at stealing, but still terrible at blocking shots / dunks.

It's a fun and solid bball game all around. In the genre, NBA Jam is still much better, but it's nice to have 3 on 3 instead of just 2 on 2. I'd say it's better than that Charles Barkley Shut up and Jam.. (and way better than that horseshit of a game for Jaguar, White men can't jump.. which is probably the worst Basketball game ever. I would have said Magic Johnson's Super Slam Dunk but the amazing commentary is hilarious and makes up for it.
Edited by valgalder on 16. November 2010 19:01

Murikov
Recently I got the MVS version of Street Hoops and after all I'm more than satisfied with this game. Along with Windjammers and Neo Turf Masters this title is a top-notch Neo Sports game and highly recommended for a quick match with a buddy.

As Valgalder already wrote, I only can confirm that the soundtrack is superb. Personally I don't like any kind of Hip Hop, but this kind of cheesy and catchy 90's Rap is just awesome.

"We shoot three on three street basketball
If you want to get in you have to answer the call.
no short pass (? something) doesn't make any difference at all
when the whistle blows - it's a free for all !!
MAGIC ON THE BLACK TOP - WORK THAT BALL!

Shrug

The lyrics from this video are just screamingly hilarious!

YouTube Video

i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/SNK%20stuff/SNK_zps13025fff.gif

LIFE_IN_2D
Like most of SNK's sports games, this is one I have never played. But I might have some time to kill in the near future, so I'll give this a go.

BTW, what other basket ball games does the Neo offer?
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 17. November 2010 15:55
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

NeoStrayCat
2D: I think this is the only B-Ball game ever released on Neo.

On Topic: Although I really don't fare much for sport titles as well, this is somewhat enjoyable.
gamercards.exophase.com/33313.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
Murikov
LIFE_IN_2D wrote: BTW, what other basket ball games does the Neo offer?

There's still a unreleased prototype called Dunk Star, developed by Sammy in 1991.

Although it doesn't look so enjoyable, if you ask me.

http://www.neogeo...k_star.htm
i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/SNK%20stuff/SNK_zps13025fff.gif

1983parrothead
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:BTW, what other basket ball games does the Neo offer?

Dunk Dream '95 / Data East's Hoops.

Running Wild
Data East, after becoming cocky from winning the court case between them and Capcom for their Street Fighter rip-off, Fighters History, Data East decides to try to rip-off another extremely popular arcade game - NBA Jam.

Like Fighters History, the game is a flop and mocked for being a rip-off of a much superior game and fails to innovate.

Also, for a Basketball game, African Americans are actually the minority here (at least in the original version).
img842.imageshack.us/img842/6448/wildsig.png

http://www.twitch.tv/runningwildvidya
RiKo
i got Street Hoops and after Merlin recommended it, and its a a good game. i love the graphics and overtop presentation. i havent really played it enough yet to comment further, but i worry it might get a bit too repetitive.

i agree with Murikov about cheesey 90s raps. the one on SFIII is funny too and Sonic Adventure 2 has a cheesey one about looking for rings on the 2nd level
raptr.com/badge/LensFlare/fs_lastplayed.png

Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/

i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr45/RimShot69/TwitGeorge_zps65e0dea7.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
merlin
Glad you've been enjoying the game RiKo. I love this game in fact it's my favourite sports game on the Neo Geo. Graphics look really nice and colourful and the music with the cheesy rap lyrics is really amusing. Gameplay is fast paced and exciting and the special moves look pretty cool. Very fun game with two players. As for the comparison to NBA Jam well personally I think Dunk Dream is a lot better. Graphics, music and presentation are superior in Data East's game and I find the gameplay much more enjoyable too. I also like the fact that it's 3 vs 3.

It always surprises me how many people say they don't like/play sports games. I'm not someone who watches sport on TV or ever plays any sports myself but I find games like Dunk Dream, Neo Turf Masters, Baseball Stars 2, Neo Geo Cup '98 etc. very entertaining. The sports game genre is actually one of the Neo Geo's strengths. Even if you think these games wouldn't appeal to you please give them a try. You might be surprised.
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

Shiny
Kerwality game. Initially I bought the CD version just for the collection's sake but when I actually sat down and played it I was pleasantly surprised. Loads of fun. I prefer it to NBA JAM by a country mile.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

valgalder
merlin wrote:
It always surprises me how many people say they don't like/play sports games. I'm not someone who watches sport on TV or ever plays any sports myself but I find games like Dunk Dream, Neo Turf Masters, Baseball Stars 2, Neo Geo Cup '98 etc. very entertaining. The sports game genre is actually one of the Neo Geo's strengths. Even if you think these games wouldn't appeal to you please give them a try. You might be surprised.

Agreed! I'm also surprised at how many people say they "don't like sports games" but never bothered to play any of these games. You don't really have to be a big sports fan to enjoy these aracde style games. I love'em, and wish there were more of them instead of 3236 soccer games.

Imagine if Tecmo made a football game back in the day - would have been legendary. Football Frenzy tries to take that approach, but Tecmo mastered the arcade football.

too bad there was no Hockey games made.. not that it's a huge sport elsewhere, but would have been fun!

merlin
A hockey game on the Neo Geo would have been great Valgalder I agree. I used to love playing the NHL games by EA on the Mega Drive. A Tecmo Football game would have been nice too. I've always quite enjoyed Football Frenzy myself. Not a terrible game like some people make it out to be. I'd say the only genuinely bad sports game on the system is Power Spikes 2. Sports games don't get much worse than that!

Shiny
I think one problem is that folk compare Neo sports games with home console games. I'll admit that they don't offer the same level of depth as some but then they weren't designed that way, they're arcade games.
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/avbar5.png

NeoGeoNinja
merlin wrote:

valgalder wrote:
Agreed! I'm also surprised at how many people say they "don't like sports games" but never bothered to play any of these games. You don't really have to be a big sports fan to enjoy these arcade style games...

AND I'M ONE OF THOSE...
people who also say "I don't like sports games" although it's not entirely true. In my youth especially, I would dedicate a lot of time to playing such games with my friends on the MD & SNES - especially The PGA Tour games on the MD and NBA JAM TE across SNES & MD (nver could decide which version I preferred?). Also of note was Major Title on the SNES. Whilst other friends had the PGA series , which I liked, I actually MUCH preferred Major Title on the SNES, although it didn't have the pulling power of the PGA name and license. And as most of you now know, Major Title was in fact the prequel to Turf Masters soo... yeah I'd probably enjoy it -even if it is just a 'filler' title Merlin! Hahahaha...

Yeah, as a 'rule' I don't particularly like Sports Games, but there is the ODD exception to the rule. In my case:

NBA JAM series
Golf games (in particular, the 16-bit era)
Tennis games (esp. Virtua Tennis and Smash Court for SNES & PS1)
Beach Spikers for the GameCube
'Track & Field' style games (esp. Decathlete, Winter Heat & Virtua Athlete 2K!)
Pool/Snooker games - ONLY 16-bit 'overhead' ones (esp. Side Pocket 1 & 2)

That's about it really. I have affinity for team based sports games whatsoever (football, rugby, Ice Hockey, PROPER Basketball games etc) - but 2 on 2 NBA JAM is fine by me! Grin

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

CrazyDiamond
I have this game on Data East Arcade Classics. It's very frustrating.

merlin
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Major Title was in fact the prequel to Turf Masters soo... yeah I'd probably enjoy it -even if it is just a 'filler' title Merlin!

LOL Can't beat some good filler titles in your collection. I do want to try out those pre-NTM
Irem golf games like Major Title for myself one of these days. Speaking of tennis games I really love Smash Stars by Capcom. One of the best tennis games around.

Interesting to note that Dunk Dream (along with some other Data East Neo Geo titles like Magical Drop 3, Fighters History Dynamite and Miracle Adventure) has been released on the Zeebo console. I wonder if any other Neo Geo games will appear on that system. Would be nice to see Ghost Lop finally getting an offical release too. It seems that in the future the Zeebo will be available in more different countries including China in 2011.

YouTube Video

Edited by merlin on 29. December 2010 10:06

Jump to Forum: