Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: reelmojo
Thread ID: 2987
Thread Info
There are 13 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2759 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Classics Collections - Most Wanted
reelmojo
So I'm a big fan of classics collections like Taito Legends, Soinc's Ultimate Genesis Collection, SNK Arcade Classics etc... Most of us here are probably classic gamers, so we've probably all thought of classics collections that we'd want to see. That's what this thread is for. What collections would you rush out and buy on day one?

Apogee Classics - I always thought old Apogee games should have gotten console ports. With 3D Realms pretty much dead and just sitting on the intellectual rights to all of these great games, why not slap them on a disc and make some quick money? Of course, include behind the scenes info and interviews with developers and stuff. Most wanted games:

Duke Nukem 1 and 2
Bio Menace
Crystal Caves
Rise of the Triad
Commander Keen
Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold and Planet Strike
Hocus Pocus
Xenophage
Raptor
Death Rally
Alien Carnage
Balls of Steel

Power Instinct Collection - Knowing this series I'm sure the collection would have a stranger name than that. This would be a great way for those outside of Japan to learn more about this series. I've always been curious to see more of it. As it is now I've only played Matrimelee and the first Power Instinct. I'm especially interested in Groove On Fight. It looks awesome but emulates slowly on my PC. I'll have to import the Saturn version at some point.

Taito Legends 3 - Self explanatory. It wouldn't matter all that much to me what games they picked, so long as Little Samson made the cut.

Cave Collection - Talk about some games that need to be released outside of Japan! If you have to divide these into two collections that'd be fine. I'd definitely buy both!

DonPachi
DoDonpachi
ESP Ra.De.
Guwange
Steep Slope Sliders
Progear
Dangun Feveron
Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi
DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou
Espgaluda 1 and 2
Ibara
Pink Sweets
Mushihime-sama

IGS Fighter Collection - Just three games. Alien Challenge, The Killing Blade, and Martial Masters. Mostly because Martial Masters is one of the most criminally underrated games I've ever played.

Okay, that's all for now. What would you like to see?

LIFE_IN_2D
I'm with you on the Apogee collection! I grew up on that stuff. I'd include Monster Bash though, a awesome horror platformer! Try it if you can.

Oh yeah, I'd also include Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure on the Apogee Collection.

Oh yeah( my last "Oh yeah" ).... I'd also like to see an Epic Games collection:

Jazz Jackrabit 1&2
One Must Fall 2097 (a VERY VERY awesome fighting game)
Epic Pinball
Jill of the Jungle
Xargon
Brix
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 08. November 2010 00:13
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

reelmojo
Yeah, I definitely didn't include all the games that should be on an Apogee collection and the two you named definitely belong on there too. And an Epic collection from the pre-Unreal years would be great! I used to play the shareware version of Epic Pinball constantly! It'd be nice to finally play all of those other tables.

I thought of another one that I'm pretty sure I've brought up on the boards before:

Namco Fighting Collection - Mid to late 90's.

Weaponlord
Tekken 1, 2, and 3
Soul Blade
Fighting Layer (assuming they own the rights or can license it from Arika)
Soul Calibur

marktheshark
I would really like to see a Guilty Gear collection be released for the Wii, Xbox 360 & PS3. :

Guilty Gear: The Missing Link (Have the boss characters & Baiken be playable in all the modes.)

Guilty Gear X Plus (Story mode would be translated in English. There can also be an option to switch between the Arcade version music & the Dreamcast/PS2 version music. Also have the option to pick between English or Japanese voices for Story mode.)

Guilty Gear XX: Midnight Carnival (PS2 version. Have the option to choose either English or Japanese voices for Story mode.)

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus (Wii/PS2 version. Have the option to choose either English or Japanese voices for Story mode.)
Edited by marktheshark on 08. November 2010 03:42

merlin
I like the sound of that IGS collection Reelmojo. Would also be well worth including their
fourth fighting game too: SVG. Actually I'd like to see an IGS collection which also includes
games like Oriental Legend 2, Knights of Valour series, The Gladiator, Demon Front, DoDonPachi 2 Bee Storm etc. It's a shame that many people have never played these games, they really need a home release.

Good call on the Guilty Gear collection too marktheshark. I would definitely buy that if it was released. Needs to have netplay too of course well at least for Accent Core.

One thing that always disappointed me (since I only have an ntsc-j PS2) was that only one volume of Capcom Classics was released for PS2 in Japan. Seems like a strange decision for Capcom to make. The games on the second volume are more interesting to me as well.

Here are a few of my collection ideas.

Irem arcade classics

GunForce
GunForce 2
Hook
Ninja Spirit
Undercover Cops
Ninja Baseball Batman
Blade Master
R-Type Leo
X Multiply

Banpresto collection

Denjin Makai
Denjin Makai 2
Gundhara
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon
Air Gallet
Pururun
Metamoqester

Visco arcade classics

Breakers Revenge
Neo Drift Out
Captain Tomaday
Andro Dunos
Puzzle de Pon
Neo Mr. Do!
Ganryu
Vasara
Vasara 2

NMK shooting collection

I don't think NMK get the recognition they deserve. They've produced a lot of quality shooters over the years.

Desert War
P-47 Aces
Zed Blade
Thunder Dragon
Thunder Dragon 2
Hacha Mecha Fighter
Saint Dragon
etc.

reelmojo
Merlin, I knew you'd be into the IGS idea. I forgot they developed Spectral Vs. Generation though. Yeah, I'd definitely add that in there too. Also, didn't The Killing Blade get an updated release somewhat recently? I'm pretty sure I'd buy all of the other ones you mentioned on release day too, although I don't know much about NMK. Mark, a GG collection would be great! I missed out on most of the series so it'd be nice to catch up on it. Plus I know GG fans want a version with online play pretty badly.

More ideas...

Golden Axe Complete Collection - Since it's only one series and a lot of the games are already on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection I'd want Sega to go all out with the extras for this one. Online multiplayer for every game, interviews with developers, art gallery, soundtrack CD, both comic mini-series, and anything else relevant to fans of the series.

Golden Axe (Arcade version with the Genesis version as an unlockable. The arcade version may look better but the Genesis version has an extra stage which happens to be my favorite in the game!)
Golden Axe II
Golden Axe III
Golden Axe - Revenge of Death Adder (Long overdue home port!)
Golden Axe: The Duel
Golden Axe Warrior
Ax Battler: A Legend of Golden Axe
Golden Axe: Beast Rider

Doom Classics Complete Collection - I want every Doom engine game together on one disc. Console versions would be great, but PC would be okay too. If it's on consoles licensing some of the better maps and total conversions would be great, especially Foreverhood and Knee Deep in ZDoom. And yes, I know there's already a collection of the classic Doom games, but I want the other games to get some exposure too.

Ultimate Doom
Doom II (Include "No Rest for the Living" the new episode from the XBLA release!)
Final Doom
Heretic
Hexen
Strife
HacX
Chex Quest 1 and 2 (Just kidding... kinda)
Edited by reelmojo on 12. November 2010 22:27

STE C
Great idea for a thread I am defo with Merlin on the Irem collection that would be a brilliant purchase.

OK here is my fantasy collection just imagine owning arcade perfect of these babies on a next gen console.

Sega Model 2 collection

VF2
Daytona USA
Sega Rally
Virtua On
Virtua Cop ( not sure how this would work on modern televisions)
Last Bronx
Dead Or Alive
Sega Touring Car
Top Skater
House of the Dead ( not sure how this would work on modern televisions)
Fighting Vipers
Motor Raid ( really want to play this game)
Manx TT

Even better Sega Model 3 Collection

Scud Race
Daytona 2
Sega Rally 2
VF3
Le Mans 24
The Lost World
The Ocean Hunter ( love this game shame its rare)
Emergency Call Ambulance
Star Wars Trilogy
Harley Davidson

I would never leave my house for a while if I had them babys ( apart from going to work but would book at least week off)

NeoGeoNinja
STE C wrote:
Sega Model 2 collection

VF2
Daytona USA
Sega Rally
Virtua On
Virtua Cop ( not sure how this would work on modern televisions)
Last Bronx
Dead Or Alive
Sega Touring Car
Top Skater
House of the Dead ( not sure how this would work on modern televisions)
Fighting Vipers
Motor Raid ( really want to play this game)
Manx TT

QUITE A LOT OF THESE...
exist on the PS2 already dude - especially the likes of V-Cop, V-On, VF2, FVipers, LBronx and - not mentioned - Dynamite Deka (how could you forget??). The Japs got pretty lucky with these imo, plus the SEGA Rally version too! However, in tune with what your saying, I would have loved to have seen a a compilation disc containing: Daytona, Manx TT, SEGA Touring Cars & SEGA Rally - all on ONE disc. Bet it would have been a licensing nightmare though!

Model 1 PERFECT VF1 would have been nice too... so maybe they could have done a VF comp disc too? With VF1, VF2 and VF3 ALL Arcade Perfect?

Sorry to ramble on, but you mentioned HOTD1 too? I really wish SEGA had've included this somewhere on one of the Wii's compilations! As a bonus or unlockable on either HOTD2&3R or HOTD-OKill. It's easily my fave HOTD ever and it's a shame that it's still Arc/Sat/PC only...

ALSO...
DOA wasn't developed by SEGA, so I reckon including it would be pushing it a bit Pfft

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

reelmojo
Capcom B-Sides Fighting Collection - ...need to work on that title a bit. It would be a collection of Capcom fighters that aren't a part of any popular series. Because there was a time that Capcom made fighters without Ryu in them.

Star Gladiator
Plasma Sword
Rival Schools
Project Justice
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (possible licensing issues)
Tech Romancer
Cyberbots
Ring of Destruction: Slam Masters II (maybe include the original too)
Warzard (or Red Earth or whatever they decide to call it)

I feel like I'm leaving something important out. Oh well.

LIFE_IN_2D
reelmojo wrote:

Doom Classics Complete Collection - I want every Doom engine game together on one disc. Console versions would be great, but PC would be okay too. If it's on consoles licensing some of the better maps and total conversions would be great, especially Foreverhood and Knee Deep in ZDoom. And yes, I know there's already a collection of the classic Doom games, but I want the other games to get some exposure too.

Ultimate Doom
Doom II (Include "No Rest for the Living" the new episode from the XBLA release!)
Final Doom
Heretic
Hexen
Strife
HacX
Chex Quest 1 and 2 (Just kidding... kinda)

Yeah a Doom only collection would be nice, IMO.

I'd go further and make a Heretic collection:

Heretic
Heretic 2 (an absolute classic, Imo)
Hexen

Good to know somebody else has played Heretic and Hexen. Have you ever played Heretic 2, Mojo? It's fantastic.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

reelmojo
I've only played Heretic, Hexen, and Heretic 2 a little bit, and I only ever played the demo version of Hexen 2. I've not dug too deeply into Strife either, so you can see why I'd really like to see that collection happen. I wish I had the money for all of those games when they were new because I was crazy about FPS games back then, especially Doom and Duke Nukem 3D. I even used to design levels for Duke, but that was before I had the internet so none of them are available online.

RiKo
i very much like the idea of the Cave collection and the Irem one. Visco one sounds good too Thumbs Up its hard to think of any more. but i am probably the only person who would want a Superior Software compilation (from the days of the BBC Micro)

Exile, Elite, Repton, Galaforce, Revs, Citadel, Palace of Magic, Magic Mushrooms and Zarch (Virus)

i would also like a best sports games ever collection, with the most playable sports titles on. i used to like football games where you actually had to aim the ball yourself, rather than just press shoot. like Kick Off 2 (Amiga) and Sensi Soccer (Amiga). also games like NHL 95 on Megadrive were great. Virtua Tennis could be on there too, and other playable sports titles.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
reelmojo
I'm a silly American, so the use of the word "football" instead of "soccer" confused me for a second.

As for sports games compilation, EA could make some quick cash (and we all know they love doing that) by putting all of their Genesis sports games on one disc. Then more people could finally come to understand the basketball perfection that is Coach K's College Basketball! Licensing fees would probably be through the roof though.

Sega could do the same thing and they know first hand how lucrative these collections can be so that's probably more likely.

Kunio-Kun Collection - I'm not going to list all of the games because it's hard to keep track of all of them, but it'd be hard to say no to a compilation featuring River City Ransom, Nintendo World Cup, Super Dodge Ball and a myriad of others. Maybe they could get more accurate localizations too so that the western world can finally learn who Kunio is.

Jump to Forum: