Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: deank93
Thread ID: 2974
Thread Info
There are 24 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7822 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Your fav fighters?
deank93
I'm working my way through my new games and have found myself falling deeply in love with Real Bout Fatal Fury 2...I literally can't stop playing it...there just seems to be so much depth, so many characters to use, so many moves and combos to practice...as a result I've not even started on Samurai Showdown IV, Last Blade 1 or 2 and I've only given King of fighters 2003 a little of my time.

I was wondering what were peoples favorite fighters and why? I mean, there are so many to chose from so what is it that has you hooked on one over another?

cthulhu
Even though this topic has been done before, these are my current lists:

My 5 most favorite Neo Geo Fighting Games (in the following order):

- Waku Waku 7:
Great character and background designs, extremely responsive controls and lost of moves and combos. I especially like the humor in this game and I don't mind the small character roster because all characters are very differet from one another. By the way, this game is my most favorite Fighting Game ever.
- Bakumatsu Roman: Gekka no Kenshi (The Last Blade):
Extremely responsive controls, some of the best graphics on the Neo Geo and the atmosphere has yet to be beaten by any Fighting Game. Character designs are fantastic and each one has a lot of moves moves at their disposal. Even though the music is a bit weak, the lack of music with only background sounds is great.
- Samurai Spirits: Zankurou Musouken (Samurai Shodown 3):
For me this is the best game in the series. It has a brooding and dark atmosphere that I really like. Also the fights are over really quickly so the pace of this game is quite high, it's also really unforgiving when it comes to making mistakes.
- Real Bout Garou Densetsu 2: The New Comers (Real Bout Fatal Fury 2):
Again I think this is the best out of all Garou Densetsu games (Garou Mark of the Wolves also included!!!). Nice and vibrant colors and pretty good animations and character designs. The controls are very responsive. Also this game has my most favorite Neo Geo music.
- Fu'un Super Tag Battle (Kizuna Encounter):
Nice character designs except for one (Clown...he sucks) and overall graphics. Nice music and a very nice way of implementing a Tag Team system...makes the matches a bit short though.

My 5 most favorite non Neo Geo Fighting Games (in the following order):

- The Vampire series (Darkstalkers):
My second most favorite Fighting game ever for the very same reasons as Waku Waku 7.
- Asura Buster:
Not so well known Arcade game. Great backgrounds, character designs and music. Very responsive controls and for a three button game, the characters has a pretty large list of moves at their disposal.
- Hokuto No Ken (Fist of the North Star):
I really don't need to explain why I love this one.
- Guilty Gear XX The Midnight Carnival # Reload:
See Hokuto No Ken.
- Street Fighter Zero 3 (Street Fighter Alpha 3):
For me this is the best Street Fighter game ever althoug Street Fighter Zero 2 comes extremely close (maybe it even ties with 3).
My arcade stuff

"ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!"

reelmojo
Hmm, while there are many many fighters that I love that won't make this list, you've inspired me to make a top 5 fighting games list.

5. Daraku Tenshi - The Fallen Angels.
darakutenshi.t35.com/images/Shot2.png
If they had finished the game it would probably be number 1. Several beautifully dark design choices set it apart from other fighters. I could go on and on about this game (and I have) so I'll cut this short.

4. Last Blade 2
www.ntsc-uk.com/reviews/sdc/LastBlade2/06.jpg
What a gorgeous game! When I finally made the switch from LB1 to LB2 I had recently bought other games for my 360 that I really did like but I barely played them because I couldn't stop playing LB2! I'm pretty sure it's my favorite NG game.

3. King of Fighters XI
videolamer.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/kof3.jpg
The biggest, fastest, most complete game in the series for me. This pick is highly subject to change this coming Wednesday when KoF '02UM comes out on XBLA. I really wish they had stuck with the tag team mechanic for KoF XII!

2. BlazBlue
www.the-nextlevel.com/media/360/blazblue/blazblue-2.jpg
Take Guilty Gear's gameplay and make it more accessible to newcomers but still tremendously deep and you've got BlazBlue. The hand drawn characters make this one of the most beautiful games in existence. This is one my girlfriend actually enjoys watching me play, which is always a good thing.

1. Battle Fantasia
www.multiplayergames.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/battlefantasia.jpg
Set in a psuedo-Final Fantasy world this Arc fighter plays a lot more like Street Fighter than Guilty Gear. The world and story are so fully realized that they could make an RPG based on it, the characters are so interesting that you'll actually care about what happens to them, and the gameplay is so smooth that you'll forget other fighters even exist... at least that's what I did for like the first month I had the game. Some of my other picks could easily be dropped off the list in favor of some honorable mentions, but Battle Fantasia's spot at the top is safe in my mind.

...did I really just do a top 5 fighting games list and not include a single Capcom game!?

Some Honorable Mentions: Garou, Waku Waku 7, Asura Buster (nice pick, cthulhu), Martial Masters, Dissidia, Street Fighter Alpha 3, SSF2THDR, Last Bronx, Fighting Vipers 2...
Edited by reelmojo on 30. October 2010 15:06

Basashi King
cthulhu - great neo geo picks. im looking to snap up waku waku 7 very soon! id probably take lb2 over the first one though.

dean, as an aside, i know youve got the last blade 2 on mvs - id personally recommend getting the first one too and playing that for a few weeks before hammering the second one. theyre both amazing; im really glad i followed kaz's advice in his reviews (at least i think he suggested it) and enjoyed the first game before i hit the sequel. you wont have to do to much digging on here to realise people love the last blade games because of their atmosphere. theyre a pretty unique gaming experience.

eta - i see you already have the first game! cripes, you really did bugger off with all the loot! play it first and savour it!
Edited by Basashi King on 30. October 2010 15:05

NeoGeoNinja
MY FAVE NEO•GEO FIGHTERS HUH?...

I would have to go with...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) the REAL BOUT series as a whole: I really cannot choose one over the others. I have tried in the past and failed. For me, they all contain so many differences that make them ALL worthwhile owning and cherishing. The BEST fighters on the NEO•GEO in my opinion

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) the KING OF FIGHTERS: 95, 98, 99, 02 & 03. For me, these are T H E quintessential KOF games - and with good reason...

95 - improved on 94 initial promise and thus delivered what I still consider to be one of the BEST KOF titles ever. My joint fave KOF alongside 03.

98 - took the COMPLETE change incurred in 96 > 95 and perfected it! If you starting where you are, I'd say you have advantage of being able to pick specific titles to your own advantage. A such, 98 > 96 & 97.

99 - the FIRST time KOF took a completely different direction in many ways an din my opinion STILL the best of the NESTS saga - which, as a whole, had a very mixed reception. Definitely worth owning imo. My 3rd fave KOF after 95 & 03

02 - Took the whole NESTS saga and turned it into a more conventional affair. Did for 99, 00, & 01 as 98 did for 96 & 97. Regardless, I still believe 99 has a place alongside this, as they're both quite different.

03 - as close to KOF gaming perfection as your likely to get on the NEO•GEO. Not as widely liked as some of the other big hitters (namely 98 & 02) but this game has gameplay to die for. It really is a step up over any of the previous iterations. I think the game oozes a nice 'new age' NEO•GEO quality to it too. My fave alongside 03.

TRUTH BE TOLD...
if I could ONLY own one KOF though, I'd ALWAYS go for 03 > the rest

3) the SAMURAI SHODOWN series. Perhaps controversially though, I only TRULY enjoy playing SS3 & SS4. They are both the main highlights in the series for me, although I have NEVER properly played SS5Special. I believe that it's also pretty damn good. Costly on AES mind... not sure how much on MVS?

SS2 is the general favourite. I had never played this back in the day due to it's NEO exclusivity (AES/MVS), however, I managed to play it on the PS2's SSAnthology recently, an d while it was an improvement on the original SS1 (which I've had on 3DO for YEARS!) which is a game I also like, it certainly was NOT better than SS3 & 4 in my opinion.

Personal preference I guess but, in all honestly, SS1 & SS2 aren't really anything like SS3 & SS4. Completely different games really. Probably worth you trying SS3 & SS2 as well then.

As a side note: SS3 is my fave in the series. However, I still feel that overall SS4 is the best!

4) SNK VS CAPCOM Chaos - bit of an odd one this. Again, some PPL love this, and some don't at all. Personally, I think it's a great game with lot's of great character choices. It's simply awesome imo that you can pit KOF-esque Capcom legends against SNK's finest! Well worth a look. An interest in Capcoms fighting history definitely lends itself to this one though.

5) NINJA MASTERS - another game that is either snubbed or held in high regard. I'm one of the latter. Doesn't push the graphical boundaries of what the NEO is truly capable of, however, they're is a TOP notch fighter in this game. The playabilty is unreal!

Other Honourable mentions:
World Heroes Perfect, Matrimelee, Mark of the Wolves, Art of Fighting 3, Kizuna Encounter.

I guess that makes a skewiff top ten on my behalf, eh?

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

deank93
Basashi King wrote:
dean, as an aside, i know youve got the last blade 2 on mvs - id personally recommend getting the first one too and playing that for a few weeks before hammering the second one. theyre both amazing; im really glad i followed kaz's advice in his reviews (at least i think he suggested it) and enjoyed the first game before i hit the sequel. you wont have to do to much digging on here to realise people love the last blade games because of their atmosphere. theyre a pretty unique gaming experience.

I've got LB 1 and 2 but I've not got into either of them yet....there time will come.

Murikov
Good thread, Dean (although this surely was discussed already, but I don't care anyway as I'm relatively new too)!

First a little off-topic:

If I'm serious, I just entered the Fighting genre about 1 or 2 years ago and the time before I really detested Fighting games. As a kid and early adolescent I've never understood the rage about series like Street Fighter and KoF. For me these games just looked too boring or clumsy, and as a PC player I was always more into FPS's or strategy games.

As my older brother was ever-avowing Fighting game supporter (back in the days he even played indefatigably the Gameboy version of Street Fighter II) it really made my wonder why Fighting games do actually matter in a gamer's life.

And this was the point where I spontaneously picked up the PSP version of KoF Orochi Saga (shortly after discovering SNK and it's ever fascinating Metal Slug series).

And down to the present day I actually ended up as a 2D fighting game lover. Maybe not a too talented but definitely an enthusiastic one.

Anyway, never mind the garbage wrote previously and back to thread. Here are my personal top five:

5. The King of Fighters 2001
www.hardcoregaming101.net/kof/kof01-5.png
Surprised? KoF 98 might be the best one of the series, but somehow not my favorite one. Not few gamers detest the 8th episode of the everlasting KoF series, but somehow I feel connected to KoF 2001. Ok, some stage backgrounds like Brazil or Mexico don't look exactly brilliant and some music tracks are a bit "modestly". But the overall impression is fantastic. KoF 2001 offers some nice cutscenes and stages, a lot of characters, a fresh design (again this point is very controversial) and a really tough, cheap boss at the end. Everything what a great KoF needs to have. For me.

4. Samurai Shodown 5 Special (Uncut)
1.bp.blogspot.com/_p3CmuU70yxg/SMPybjiZ1rI/AAAAAAAAAIo/loOdjcyA020/s400/samsho5sp_a.png
A title I discovered recently but proves itself as a blast. I was pretty surprised that a non-original-SNK SamSho could be my favorite one of the series. Most moves are fool-proof to learn, the gameplay very liquid and the atmosphere is so dense, that it could even be split with a sword... And the fatalities are an awesome addition as well.

3. Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus
pspmedia.ign.com/psp/image/article/885/885379/guilty-gear-xx-accent-core-plus-screens-20080630034329054_640w.jpg
The best part of the Guilty Gear series I played so far. The gameplay is fast, quickly learnable and addictive. The backgrounds, character sprites and animations are just outstanding. But most notable for me is the soundtrack. Holy Damn, seriously, I almost get a mind-blowing orgasm when listening to this stuff. The music might not be everybody's taste but for my ears it's just remedy. Blazblue on the other hand might have better graphics, a better story mode and a really good overall presentation, but imo it doesn't overcome the last episode of the Guilty Gear series. Period.

2. Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
4.bp.blogspot.com/_QmsbCqyS6MM/TGq2igMBbjI/AAAAAAAAAKY/mcbt6ZKl-z0/s1600/street-fighter-alpha-3-max-20051116021245314_640w.jpg
The best version of SFA3 and the best Street Fighter title ever imo was released on *ta-dah* the PSP. The game itself might not have such a great gameplay system like SFIII one's but it has everything else what makes it top-notch. In addition to the traditional game there a few new characters (for example Yun, Eagle or Maki) and tons of new modes like the brilliant World Tour mode. It's definitely a must-have title for PSP owners. I'm serious.

1. Garou - Mark of the Wolves
www.retrocpu.com/mame/images/roms/g/garou_-_mark_of_the_wolves_bootleg.png
This was a hard decision to make and I know as well about the overall hype that it caused. But after all I can't hide my love to it. The gameplay, characters, effects, animations, backgrounds and the soundtrack as well are just tremendously awesome. And how can't you love a game where bad-ass guys execute special attacks which let flash the whole screen while they're sreaming like morons "BUUST...WOOULF!"? I think this epicness can't be forgotten at all. Love or dislike it - I'm definitely going for it.

At the end I wanted to say that I'm pretty sure that a title from the Last Blade or Real Bout series surely could have made it on this list. But down to the present day I've played them too insufficiently. I've still got a lot of catching-up to do...
Edited by Murikov on 31. October 2010 01:08
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

LIFE_IN_2D
Good choices guys.

Here are my personal favorites. Not at all the best fighters on the planet, but these are ones that I enjoy the most (hence that I play the most).

1) KOF 02 - Yes I said it. I know that picking a KOF not in the original SNK's legacy is a bit of an insult...but... this is my favorite hands down. I suppose I just think everybody is at their finest (in terms of move set and looks), except for Takuma. I love everybodies SDM and HSDM moves, they look so awesome. This game IMO is the best in term of gameplay, sure it might not be the flashiest but it plays like gold.

2) MOTW- Ummmm do I really need to explain this one?

3) SVC - I really enjoy this game. It's so original and oddball. Its great to see Capcom and SNK legends clash in SNK style. Sagat and Demitri never looked so good! Also seeing Mr. Karate wipe the floor with Capcom characters is just wayyyyyyy too enjoyable.

4) RBFF2 - The best of the Fatal Fury Series, hand f*cking down. I LOVE the in game art style and the use of bright vivid colors.

5) Capcom versus SNK 2 - Woah what a roster! It's nice to see our favorite SNK characters in Capcom style. I never get tired of this game. Only thing that sucks is the MUSIC, I actually turn off the BGM when I play this.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 31. October 2010 02:30
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

reelmojo
Glad to see multiple mentions of SVC Chaos! Sure, it might not be perfectly balanced for tournament play, but who cares? It's fun! Not every fighter has to be made for Shoryuken.com members.

cthulhu
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
The SAMURAI SHODOWN series. Perhaps controversially though, I only TRULY enjoy playing SS3 & SS4. They are both the main highlights in the series for me, although I have NEVER properly played SS5Special. I believe that it's also pretty damn good. Costly on AES mind... not sure how much on MVS?

Not that controversially as you think...a lot of people share you're opinion just like me. SS5 and SS5Special I don't really care about, the graphics take a step backwards and the atmosphere from the earlier parts in the series is as good as gone.

SS2 is the general favourite. I had never played this back in the day due to it's NEO exclusivity (AES/MVS), however, I managed to play it on the PS2's SSAnthology recently, an d while it was an improvement on the original SS1 (which I've had on 3DO for YEARS!) which is a game I also like, it certainly was NOT better than SS3 & 4 in my opinion.

While SS2 is a great game, it's in my opinion not as good as SS3 and SS4...I think that most people choose SS2 as the best in the series mainly because of nostalgic reasons.

As a side note: SS3 is my fave in the series. However, I still feel that overall SS4 is the best!

Personally I think SS3 is the best because even though SS4 is a great game, I think SS3 beats it just graphically and I think the backgrounds in SS3 are slightly more iteresting.

NINJA MASTERS - another game that is either snubbed or held in high regard. I'm one of the latter. Doesn't push the graphical boundaries of what the NEO is truly capable of, however, they're is a TOP notch fighter in this game. The playabilty is unreal!

I also really like Ninja Masters a lot, but it was outclassed by the others on my list...it is a really good game and people should take the time to play it properly.

I guess that makes a skewiff top ten on my behalf, eh?

Ninja

That may be, but think lists like yours are more interesting to read.
My arcade stuff

NeoGeoNinja
cthulhu wrote:
That may be, but think lists like yours are more interesting to read.

THANKS MAN...
this comment actually made me read back through my own list! All I can say is, sorry for all the retarded typo's... some make me sound like I'm incapable of speaking (typing?) my own native tongue!! Grin

Ninja

cthulhu
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
THANKS MAN...
this comment actually made me read back through my own list! All I can say is, sorry for all the retarded typo's... some make me sound like I'm incapable of speaking (typing?) my own native tongue!! Grin

Ninja

You should read Dutch forums...the huge amount of typo's is quite pathetic.
My arcade stuff

STE C
Aye its always worth coming back to this subject as its always interesting to hear about opinions of new members. Still a tricky one as I do go through love phases with certain games.

LB1 , still play this on a regular basis , not sure why I prefer it to 2 its maybe because I played the PS1 port to death in the late 90s before I actually owned the real deal. It is such a beautiful game absolute top drawer a masterpiece in every sense.

RB2 , its a close call between this and RBS but the newcomers just give it the edge, its a real intense fighter , maybe the most intense fighter ever. Being playing its sequel MOTW this weekend and I am really starting to realize how great it is but I think RB2 is a better value package at this time.

SS4 , possibly my fave NG game ( although I could say the same about LB ) this is one game that deserves its reputation.

Ninja Masters, check Ninjas reply I agree 100% with him, a game that deserves more love or as people call it the NGs hidden gem. Seems me and Ninja are in a minority with our love for this one.

I could choose any of the following KOF games to recommend as I love them almost as equals 95, 98,99,02,03 and 00 has being growing on me recently but im gonna chicken out and say 98 closly followed by 03.
Edited by STE C on 31. October 2010 18:54

deank93
Blimey, thats given me some food for thought, so many games I've never tried.

With my own collection I've decided that I'm going to build my fighter games from the first games in each seris onwards, that way i can become more familiar with the back stories and hopefully from that get just a little more enjoyment from each.

merlin
Definitely I think that's the way to go Dean working your way through each series in the order they came out.

It's always nice to do this kind of thread every so often and interesting to read other people's choices.

My Neo Geo top 5 favourite fighters: (in no particular order)

Samurai Shodown 4
The best game in the series IMO. Perfect character roster, great atmosphere and plays incredibly well.

Breakers Revenge
Very fast paced exciting game and relatively easy to make combos. Great character designs, music and graphics. One of the best fighters on the system.

Kizuna Encounter
The tag system is a very original idea and makes this game a lot of fun. Very good looking game. The boss battles at the end are really memorable too. The first game in the Fu'un series Savage Reign is almost as good though.

The Last Blade 2
A work of art. Great atmosphere, presentation and beautiful sprites and backgrounds. Difficult to choose between this and the first game but the extra characters do make me prefer the second game. Kojiroh and Hibiki are my favourite characters in the series.

World Heroes 2
Definitely not to everyone's taste but personally I love the World Heroes series and it's the
reason why I bought an AES in the first place. WH2 is the first AES game I ever bought and I put many many hours into it. Love the character designs, the death match mode is really fun and WH2 has my favourite music and backgrounds in the series. The final boss battle against Dio, although very frustrating at times, has an incredible atmosphere and is surely one of the most memorable boss encounters in a Neo fighting game.

My favourite non Neo Geo fighters: (in no particular order)

Street Fighter Zero 3
Warzard
Daraku Tenshi
The Killing Blade
Dragoon Might
Golden Axe the Duel
Guilty Gear XXAC+
Hokuto no Ken
BlazBlue
The Rumble Fish
Akatsuki Blitzkampf

Good to see others in this thread also picking SF Zero 3. I think the Zero series is Capcom's
greatest achievement in the fighting game genre. One of the fighters I've been playing the most in recent times is Golden Axe the Duel. Very underrated game I'm surprised it's not more popular.
Edited by merlin on 01. November 2010 18:41

bojan4o
hmm rumble fish 2?

YouTube Video

http://www.youtub...pfN-1hxEuE
Edited by bojan4o on 01. November 2010 20:05
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

TF73
My favourie SNK fighters:

1 - MOTW
2 - KOF'98
3 - SS2
4 - SS5

Non SNK favourite fighters:

1 - VF2
2 - VF5
3 - Fighters Megamix
4 - Soul Calibur

NeoGeoNinja
TF73 wrote:
1 - VF2
2 - VF5
3 - Fighters Megamix
4 - Soul Calibur

HMMM...
interesting how your non-SNK fighting faves are ALL 3D! Hmm

Aside VF5, I love all of them! I tried with VF5, but I really just couldn't get on with it. Couldn't put a firm finger on it, but there were many things I wasn't keen on - especially the lazy animation for my fave picks (Jacky & Sarah). VF4 is my fave VF ever as it perfected what VF2 & 3 had put before it. Then VF4evo as it took a new fresh twist on VF in general. VF4evo is the BETTER game - especially with regards to polish, content etc but I will always prefer how the characters were in VF4. Yeah, VF was perfected by 4 imo. VF5 just felt TOO sterile and flat by comparison imo. Would KILL to have console ports of VF5R and VF5FS... just to see how they differ! Pray

Ninja

TF73
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
TF73 wrote:
1 - VF2
2 - VF5
3 - Fighters Megamix
4 - Soul Calibur

HMMM...
interesting how your non-SNK fighting faves are ALL 3D! Hmm

Aside VF5, I love all of them! I tried with VF5, but I really just couldn't get on with it. Couldn't put a firm finger on it, but there were many things I wasn't keen on - especially the lazy animation for my fave picks (Jacky & Sarah). VF4 is my fave VF ever as it perfected what VF2 & 3 had put before it. Then VF4evo as it took a new fresh twist on VF in general. VF4evo is the BETTER game - especially with regards to polish, content etc but I will always prefer how the characters were in VF4. Yeah, VF was perfected by 4 imo. VF5 just felt TOO sterile and flat by comparison imo. Would KILL to have console ports of VF5R and VF5FS... just to see how they differ! Pray

Ninja

I have always been a Sega fan since I was a kid growing up with arcades. I wasn't really into one on one fighters before the VF games came along (with the exception of IK). So the VF series have a special place in my heart. I also enjoy the SF series, but I rank the games I have listed higher.
When it comes to 2d fighters I was a fan of Capcom's games before but have moved over to prefer the games from SNK today. Getting my hands on a AES console changed thatSmile

M-Kof
This is my Favourites SNK Fighters game :

3.KOF XI

2.Garou : Mark Of The Wolves

1.KOF 2002 UM

and for non SNK fighters game :

4.Capcom vs SNK 2

3.Guilty Gear XX Accent Core

2.Tekken 5

1.Tobal 2

Jump to Forum: