Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: NeoGeoNinja
Thread ID: 2959
Thread Info
There are 21 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 5008 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Faulty NEO•GEO AES game: 'The Return'
NeoGeoNinja
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS AN EPICALLY LONG POST...
for those with little time or inclination to read my NEO•GEO sob story PLEASE fast-forward and go to my SECOND/2ND post which surmise's THIS post - as it will give you ALL the gist. Thanks guys... Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SO, NOT QUITE WHAT YOU WERE EXPECTING HUH?...
because what I'm here to discuss is a dilemma which has been haunting me since JUNE/JULY this year.

BASICALLY...
in June or July of this year I decided to full on purchase what was to be my first ever NEO•GEO AES game. As such, seeing as the release of Fatal Fury 2 was my first ever experience playing on a NEO•GEO plus the fact that I adore that game, I thought it fitting that Fatal Fury 2 (or Garou Densetsu 2!) be my first proper purchase.

ANYWAY...
I looked on eBay for a copy and found a particular seller who had 3 different copies. However, they were all 'graded' differently and subsequently the price of the games were affected by this. Naturally, being the perfectionist type, I opted for the MOST expensive of the 3 on offer (which wasn't at all expensive, in the grand scheme of all things AES related!). In fact, I would say that this was one of the MORE expensive copies available full-stop at that time - on average I mean. IT SHOULD HOWEVER be noted that this game had been rated by the seller 9.5/10 throughout! As such, I felt it would be worth the little extra. In my mindset, who wouldn't? The game cost me €30 (£26) plus €15 p+p. Yes, that's right... 15 F*CKING EURO! Still... if the game's MINT, I can deal with it.

HOWEVER...
when the game arrived, I was VERY disappointed to see that:
THE case was scuffed
THE insert was discoloured
THE manual was also discoloured and rather worn
THE cartridge had the Garou Densetsu 2 label stuck OVER another label! God knows what the one underneath was!!

ONE thing I did know: this was going back.

I CONTACTED...
the seller to inform him (her?) of my horrific dismay! "9.5 out of 10 my arse!"... I explained, or something to that effect. He said: "No problem. Here is my address. Send it back"... and so I bloody well did! OBVIOUSLY return shipping is NOT free. So because of his mis-description I then had to fork out a further €10 to ship it back! (Euro's eh? I guess you've figured by now, this guy lives in Europe then, huh?)

He also said to contact him in a fortnight to confirm arrival. I found this a little odd though. Surely HE should be contacting ME to let me know it has arrived?? Lazy b*stard. I digress. Again and AGAIN I contacted him. "Has it arrived yet?". Apparently not was the tune of his response. Multiple times over a 'decent' timescale...

SEPTEMBER...
yes, September this went on until I finally received a message saying (and I quote!)
'hi. no problem i talked with my business partner and he received it in july so no worry. do you need another game or refund? let me know. thanks.'

He received it back in July, so no worry huh? WHAT ABOUT all my wasted f*cking time worrying about where this game had gotten too. But he received it a week or so after I sent it! *sigh*.

SO THEN...
what is it to be: refund or game? You know, I thought I WANT an goddamn AES game. That is what I set out to acquire. So recently, with said message of promised refund/replacement in tow - I set off to look for said AES game. After browsing his site for some time I came across several options - but ONE in particular stood out to me. What ACTUALLY looks to be a MINT copy of Samurai Shodown 3 for AES - another game which is one my AES shortlist (along with KOF95 & RB1).

I GOT IN TOUCH...
with the guy, reminded him of my plight and said I was willing to pay the little extra towards the SS3 to make up the deficit (it's €60 as opposed to FF2's ¢30) because I think it's worth it. I've seen several HD pics of SS3, so I can confirm this time, that it is actually MINT.

However, upon contacting the guy I stated that:
'Also, what shall we do about shipping, as I have already paid €15 to get a 'not as described' FF2 delivered that I had to pay to send back too! Would you be good enough to send the SS3 for free if I pay you the €30.00 towards SS3? Under the circumstances (and all the unnecessary waiting and chasing I had to do!) it only seems fair in my opinion. What do you think? Also, I'm sorry if I seem rude, but unfortunately I can't speak in French! Sorry.'

He came back:
'hi. oh no problem i don't feel you as rude. so i think we can say "deal". please remind me your full adress. best regards ****'

So I give him my full address. He then advised me that he would contact me on Monday (yesterday) re: further action.

I woke up this morning to this:
'hi. you have to pay the difference of price between the 2 games and 12 euros additional shipping cost. our paypal is ****@hotmail.com. thanks'

AND HERE WE ARE...
and this is my plight. What do YOU guys think and PLEASE don't be biased towards me, as you don't know the guy. I just want an honest opinion. Do you think I should now pay the additional p+p in light of this whole situation, or argue the opposite.

Personally, I think he SHOULD send it for free as a gesture! I'm not blackmailing the guy!! He sent me an item which was not as described. If it was, YOU wouldn't be reading this right now and I'd be playing Fatal Fury 2!

Your thoughts guys... they'd be much appreciated! Flowers

Ninja

(p.s. apologies for the EPIC post, but I had to get this one out there. I've been bottling it for some time...)
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

NeoGeoNinja
IN SHORT...

1ST CHAPTER:
I bought Fatal Fury 2 for AES @€30 plus €15 p+p
It was described as being 9.5/10 condition throughout
It wasn't
I paid an EXTRA €10 to ship it back - in July
I message the guy - on his request - to ensure the game arrives safely
He claims for MONTHS that he hasn't received it
By SEPTEMBER the guy insists he STILL hasn't received the game (2 months later!!!)
Eventually I get a message stating: Ah, no problem, I ACTUALLY received the game back in July
I say: thanks for messing me around all this time... now get your f*cking act together
He adds do you want a refund or another AES title...

2ND CHAPTER:
I decide I WANT that goddamn AES game. Gimme gimme.
I find a suitable replacement, HOWEVER, it's twice the price
I contact the guy and offer to pay the deficit (€30 I guess) but NOT the shipping
I feel, under all the circumstances he should REALLY ship the game to me for FREE
After all, it's not my fault my initial purchase of FF2 was 'not as described'. Is it?
He says 'Deal' and that he will contact me Monday (yesterday) re: further action

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SO, TO RECAP AND TO BRING YOU UP TO SPEED...
I contacted the guy, and stated:
'Also, what shall we do about shipping, as I have already paid €15 to get a 'not as described' FF2 delivered that I had to pay to send back too! Would you be good enough to send the SS3 for free if I pay you the €30.00 towards SS3? Under the circumstances (and all the unnecessary waiting and chasing I had to do!) it only seems fair in my opinion. What do you think? Also, I'm sorry if I seem rude, but unfortunately I can't speak in French! Sorry.'

He came back:
'hi. oh no problem i don't feel you as rude. so i think we can say "deal". please remind me your full adress. best regards ****'

So I give him my full address. He then advised me that he would contact me on Monday (yesterday) re: further action.

I woke up this morning to this:
'hi. you have to pay the difference of price between the 2 games and 12 euros additional shipping cost. our paypal is ****@hotmail.com. thanks'

AND HERE WE ARE...
and this is my plight. What do YOU guys think and PLEASE don't be biased towards me, as you don't know the guy. I just want an honest opinion. Do you think I should now pay the additional p+p in light of this whole situation, or argue the opposite.

Personally, I think he SHOULD send it for free as a gesture! I'm not blackmailing the guy!! He sent me an item which was not as described. If it was, YOU wouldn't be reading this right now and I'd be playing Fatal Fury 2!

Your thoughts guys... they'd be much appreciated! Flowers

Ninja

Basashi King
hiya ninja, sorry to hear about your bum deal.

my guess is that theres a french bloke working over here in japan buying up cheap aes games on the side and shipping them back home to a pal / brother in france who is responsible for shipping them out to ebay buyers. this character in france seems a bit half-arsed and not particularly on the ball. maybe he got mixed up and sent you the wrong ff2 - one of the lower grade ones. who knows. it could well be an unfortunate mistake by reputable guys also - who knows.

you can try and argue for not paying the shipping and see what they say - although being 'pally' in tone rather than self-righteous would probably yield better results, despite how youre feeling.

good luck with getting whatever youre after; once youre done put this one down to experience.

on another note, i feel i should point out that its not actually that easy to find neo games in japan of that vintage absolutely mint. there will usually be some defect that you would find unacceptable. i can wait and snap up a good copy for myself; but when businesses are getting orders it must be tough to find a 100% mint old game. there are some titles on the machine which i have never seen mint, for example.

whilst i try to pick up only mint games, i do buy them to play and i dont mind if i slightly scratch a cart etc. i certainly dont want to put games in display cases. from reading your posts, i really do think that going cmvs is the only way for you to go, because that way you will be able to create your own experience of the system.

personally id go for the refund and put the cash towards a cmvs or converter.
Edited by Basashi King on 26. October 2010 17:00

merlin
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
What do YOU guys think and PLEASE don't be biased towards me, as you don't know the guy. I just want an honest opinion. Do you think I should now pay the additional p+p in light of this whole situation, or argue the opposite.

Ninja

That's a shame Ninja. Sounds like a bit of a nightmare. I really think that since the copy of Fatal Fury 2 was not described accurately and since you had to pay to have it shipped back (not to mention the hassle of trying to contact him) that he should definitely cover the shipping cost of SS3. It's possible he just misunderstood and didn't realise you were asking for free shipping. I think if you ask him again about it he may well agree. He has let you down so it's the least he can do to make up for it. It's only fair.
Edited by merlin on 26. October 2010 17:21

STE C
Sorry your AES collecting has got off to a sh*t start Ninja I can understand your frustration, as Basashi said I reckon hes just a middle man and a twit by the sound of it. Let us know when your SS3 arrives and in what condition.

You have been very reasonable but maybe his idea of 9.5 and yours are different but he has a cheek claiming it was nearly mint..

Collecting games eh if it was that easy and stress free it would be somewhat more popular.

priest
Ninja: I´m really sorry to hear about this tragedy of a deal and I know how you value a game in mint condition.

I think that you should be persisting that the game you got didn´t match the sales add and so you shouldn´t have to pay any more for the shipping than you have already done. You shouldn´t even have been made to pay for the return shipping of FF2 (IMO). The only thing you SHOULD pay is the difference between FF2 and SS3, this price should even be reduced since the the seller did the original "misstake".

Damn I get angry and fired up just thinking about your troubles with this seller. I wouldn´t let this guy get of that easy as to pay for additional shipping (I´m a stubborn s*n of a b*tch when it comes to deals like this)

How did you pay for this (paypal?), don´t you have any way to complaint or get a refund?

i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
LIFE_IN_2D
If the guy described the game as "9.5/10" or "mint", then the f*cking game should be.... ummm.... MINT! Jesus... people like this piss me off. Ninja, this guy sounds like a dick, and you've been wayyyyyy more polite than most of us would be. Don't pay for shipping AGAIN, F*CK THAT. Piss on this guy, if he was half way decent he'd pick up postage, because he is the one who screwed up. Ninja, IMO (totally un-baised), this chode owes you free shipping at least. If he says "no", then I'd count my losses, get a refund and quit dealing with this filthy crook.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 26. October 2010 23:01
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

TF73
If this dealer had been serious he would have shipped the game to you for free and even given you a discount as a gesture. I have had a couple of episodes on ebay but the sellers have always corrected their mistakes in a very service minded manner.

This guy sounds a bit like he really doesn't care about his customers and he doesn't care if you buy from him again or not. I would just ask to get the money back.

deank93
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:
If the guy described the game as "9.5/10" or "mint", then the f*cking game should be.... ummm.... MINT! Jesus... people like this piss me off. Ninja, this guy sounds like a dick, and you've been wayyyyyy more polite than most of us would be. Don't pay for shipping AGAIN, F*CK THAT. Piss on this guy, if he was half way decent he'd pick up postage, because he is the one who screwed up. Ninja, IMO (totally un-baised), this chode owes you free shipping at least. If he says "no", then I'd count my losses, get a refund and quit dealing with this filthy crook.

Got to agree, this fella is taking the piss, Don't pay him a penny extra.

NeoGeoNinja
HEY EVERYONE...
just to say a big thanks for ALL of your support on this one! For your own interest, here is the finale:

ME:
"Hi. Sorry for my delay in replying to you. I'm just unsure as how to go about this whole thing.

Basically, I sent you a message last week saying that I was happy to pay the extra €30 towards getting Samurai Shodown/Spirits 3 BUT... I said I was NOT prepared to have to pay shipping costs for the 3RD time so far! As I really don't think it's very fair. After all, it isn't my fault that the Fatal Fury 2/ Garou Densetsu 2 WAS NOT in the condition it was described to be (9-9.5/10!).

I've already HAD to pay €25+ in shipping for a game that wasn't how it SHOULD have been. Do you really think it's fair that I should have to pay for shipping... again!?

Even worse that the game arrived back the same month I sent it and it took until SEPTEMBER for you to realise this??!

I've looked carefully at the HD photo's of SS3 on your site, and I'm happy with what I see. All I ask is that I pay you the €30 extra and you ship the game. Then we can put all this behind us and move on...

Thanks."

SELLER:
"hello. yes i do understand,so let's say without shipping. it's fine for me Smile
regards XXXX"

ME:
"Thanks! I appreciate your understanding on this matter.
I will now go and make a payment of €30 to your PayPal address ()
Thanks again and I look forward to receiving the game ^_^"

SO THERE WE HAVE IT...
I'm hoping my persistence pays off in the end. From what I've seen the SS3 looks truly mint! Fingers crossed eh? Seemingly the guy was cool about it in the end. It's just that sometimes, language barriers can be quite problematic because the emotion and reasoning can be lost in translation I guess. Still, I'm just grateful this guy understands English, because my French is pretty much none existant!

Thanks again everyone! I appreciate your taking time to share your thoughts. I'll give you the heads up when it arrives. Hopefully it should be problem free. Hopefully...

Ninja

bojan4o
ok hopelly it would arrive as he says i hope he wont forget to send it to you as he forgot that he received it but may i ask a question what is actually a mint sorry for my silly question but i really dont have any idea what is a mint LOL and hope everything is fine
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

priest
Ninja: You´re still too polite in your tone to this guy (IMO). I just hope that he takes this agreement seriously and really delivers...

priest
Bojan4o: Mint - condition as new on whatever...

Supergrafx
Good to hear that the seller is doing the right thing by you.I guess one of the main problems when a situation like the one you have is that both ebay and paypal have time limits on you making any sort of claim and looking at the amount of time that has gone by in your case i would say you would have been well past the allotted time to open a case against the seller.
Fingers crossed that the next post in this thread is you telling us how awesome SS3 is.Mai

deank93
Can i ask who the bloke is and where he advertises so i can avoid him.

NeoGeoNinja
deank93 wrote:
Can i ask who the bloke is and where he advertises so i can avoid him.

HAHAHAHA...
I'll do you a deal. If... IF the SS3 I have ordered turns out to be disappointing, I'll be sure to let you (and everyone else) know ASAP. However, if it turns out to be alright, I'd be keen NOT to reveal his identity. I guess time will tell...

Ninja

Basashi King
glad things have worked out to your satisfaction ninja. im sure ss3 will be mint - bizarrely ive never actually seen one that wasnt in all the time ive been on these shores!

enjoy!

NeoGeoNinja
HEY GUYS...
just to put a nice quick end to this Kerrrazzy saga; my SS3 arrived the tail end of last week (Friday, I think?) and indeed, it is absolutely immaculate! I'm finally, a happy bunny. All I need now is a controller to play it with, as I might as well stab myself in the eye with a blunt pencil as opposed to using my stick... that's how painful it is! I'll get an adaptor sorted pronto...

Thanks again everyone for your support and advice. I really REALLY appreciate it! In Love

Ninja

Basashi King
Joe great news!

re: the controller, im sure youll be happy with your pad - but if you could ever be arsed to learn how to use that stick of yours, i dont think there would be any going back!

all's well that ends well - enjoy the game, ninja.

STE C
Good news Ninja I know how much you love that game, get yourself a pad sorted and get playing. It will be interesting to hear if you prefer playing the real deal as opposed to your Saturn/PS2 versions, if anybody can tell a difference its you.

Jump to Forum: