Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: The eccentric cat
Thread ID: 2923
Thread Info
There are 28 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 8588 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Is Samurai Shodown 3 any good at all?
Of course! Its great! One of the best games in the series! Of course! Its great! One of the best games in the series! 35%[6 Votes]
Its great! The new system really makes it stand out! Its great! The new system really makes it stand out! 41%[7 Votes]
Its good, but it feels so shallow.. Its good, but it feels so shallow.. 18%[3 Votes]
Meh, not good at all Meh, not good at all 6%[1 Vote]
Total Votes : 17
 Print Thread
Samurai Shodown III discussion
The eccentric cat
Hello, and welcome to Game of the Week!

Samurai Shodown 3 is a the third game in the already popular Samurai Shodown series. Its regarded as the black sheep compared to the others. While it does have a very unique style and gameplay (introducing the new Bust/Slash system for starters!), it failed to live up to the high expectations after Samurai Shodown II, and is considered inferior to its predecessor.

With that said, I don't think its all that bad. Its really fun to play, and introduced some of the most popular characters in the series! (Rimururu and Shizumaru~)Give it a shot if you ever have the chance! Samurai Shodown fans shouldn't be disappointed. :3

Samurai Shodown/Spirits III

i.imgur.com/uq31w.jpg

Genre: Fighting
Players: 2
Size: 282 megs
Released on: AES, MVS, Neo CD, PSX, Sega Saturn, Samurai Shodown Anthology (PS2, Wii, PSP)

Brief Description:

Samurai Shodown III: Blades of Blood, known as Samurai Spirits: Peerless Blade of Zankuro in Japan and Fighters Swords in Korea, is the third game in SNK's popular Samurai Shodown series of fighting games for the Neo Geo. While it is the third game in the main series, it is the first part of a two-chapter interquel between Samurai Shodown and Samurai Shodown II.

The most obvious difference between this game and the others in the series is the notably darker aesthetic. The more light-hearted characters (Earthquake, Cham Cham, and Gen-an to name a few) from the previous games have been excised, and even the kabuki master, Kyoshiro Senryo, received a redesign, transforming him from a flamboyant stage performer into a grim-faced, muscular man. All of the characters have been completely redrawn. The animation is very smooth for all characters, another departure from the graphical style of the second game.

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_114/samsho3title.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_114/samsho3intro.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_114/samsho3intro2.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_114/samsho3select.jpg

Reviews:

Samurai Shodown III review by Kazuya_UK

Videos:

YouTube Video

Highscore Challenge:

http://www.neogeo...ad_id=2920

Good luck!

Past GOTW Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->

#2 Nam 1975 -->

#3 Pulstar -->

#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->

#5 Blues Journey -->

#6 Fatal Fury -->

#7 Shock Troopers -->

#8 Sengoku -->

#9 Ninja Commando -->

#10 Ninja Master's -->

#11 Crystalis -->

#12 Thrash Rally -->

#13 Art of Fighting -->

#14 Waku Waku 7 -->

#15 Andro Dunos -->

#16 KOF '94 -->

#17 Nightmare on the Dark -->

#17 Twinkle Star Sprites -->

#18 Zupapa -->

#19 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->

#20 The Last Blade -->

#21 Crossed Swords -->

#22 Cyber Lip -->

#23 Samurai Shodown -->

#24 King of the Monsters -->

#25 The King of Fighters '95 -->

#26 Fatal Fury 2 -->

#27 Aero Fighters 2 -->

#28 Neo Bomberman -->

#29 Metal Slug -->

#30 Kabuki Klash -->

#31 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->

#32 Mutation Nation -->

#33 Blazing Star -->

#34 World Heroes -->

#35 King of Fighters '96 -->

#36 Neo Drift Out -->

#37 Magical Drop 2 -->

#38 Top Hunter -->

#39 Savage Reign -->

#40 Metal Slug 2/X -->

#41 Alpha Mission 2 -->

#42 Aggresors of Dark Kombat -->

#43 Art of Fighting 2 -->

#44 Super Sidekicks -->

#45 Sengoku 2 -->

#46 Metal Slug 3 -->

#47 Burning Fight -->

#48 Money Puzzle Exchanger -->

#49 Panic Bomber: Bomberman -->

#50 King of Monsters 2 -->

#51 Samurai Shodown 2 -->

#52 World Heroes 2 -->

#53 Last Resort -->

#54 Rage of the Dragons -->

#55 Leauge Bowling

#56 Metal Slug 4 -->

#57 Legend of Sucess Joe -->

#58 Puzzle Bobble -->

#59 Pochi and Nyaa -->

#60 Robo Army -->

#61 Captain Tomaday -->

#62 Metal Slug 5 -->

#63 King of Fighters '97 -->

#64 Athena/Psycho Soldier -->

#65 The Super Spy -->

#66 Strikers 1945 Plus -->

#67 Ghost Pilots -->

#68 Iron Tank -->

#69 Magical Drop 3-->

#70 Fatal Fury 3 -->

#71 Art of Fighting 3 -->

#72 Viewpoint -->

#73 Sonic Pocket Adventure -->

#74 Prehistoric Isle in 1930s -->

#75 Beast Busters -->

#76 Shock Troopers 2 -->

#77 Real Bout Fatal Fury -->

#78 Ninja Combat -->

#79 Neo Turf Masters -->

#80 Last Blade: Beyond the Destiny -->

#81 Bubble Bobble 2 -->

#82 King of Fighters '98 -->

#83 Wind Jammers -->
Edited by The eccentric cat on 19. October 2010 01:54
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

neogeoeno
I'm agree with you sweaty samurai spirit 3 is great game and not in less compare to the first &second part.but the release of ss1 & 2 was more dramatic than 3 because it was in 1995 and the psx 3d gaming was arrive and the people keep there focus on tohshinden . tekken . motor toon instead of 6 years old 16 bit systemShrug. so the game didnt take the right judge due to the introduce of virtua fighter 2 and tekken:(
Edited by neogeoeno on 12. October 2010 00:23

LIFE_IN_2D
I actually love SS III, the "original" version of course. There is a version of the cart that is "corrected" due to SSIII's high damage. I actually love this game because of this, 3-4 hard slashes and you're done for (or you opponent is). This damage system is very much to my liking since it seems very realistic to me... as a Samurai duel would probably end with 1 stroke anyway. Pfft I love this game, btw the backgrounds are awesome, the music of course rules and the in-game art is absolutely amazing.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 12. October 2010 01:30
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Wonderboy
I never really properly played this game before. But, what many people don't know is Samurai Shodown Pocket 1 & 2 are based on the fighting system of this game. The Pocket versions also include the new characters from SS3. Many years ago, I did have Samurai Shodown Pocket 2, so I guess you could say I sort of experienced SS3 through it. I actually like the fighting system because it approaches the concept (of fighting with weapons) differently. Squaresoft, back in the mid 90s, also experimented with a similar system in Bushido Blade 1 & 2. At the time, I didn't like the system, but, then again, I used to think Capcom fighters were the end all, be all of fighting games (how naive was I?!)... Thumbs Down It (the fighting system) definitely is an acquired taste, but I would imagine that true fighting fans (who naturally appreciate diversity) can pick it up and enjoy SS3.
Edited by Wonderboy on 12. October 2010 02:44

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
STE C
WHOS THAT FUCKING SPAM TOSSER ABOVE ME TRYING TO SELL BLOODY HANDBAGS FUCK OFF.

This game is Ninjas baby I believe

SS3 this should be a a good GOTW thread as a lot of peolpe have a love/hate relationship with it and some say it stands uncomfortably between 2&4. I am fortunate to own the NGCD version of SS2 ( since about 95) which has an option to change the button layout to that of SS3 1 button for hard slash so I was enjoying the easier (superior ) control method before I even played SS3.

I do agree that SS3 has a rather rushed or raw feel to it compared to other games in the series and its not a game I play as much as 4 or 5 but I must congratulate the new style, dark atmosphere and button layout. The difficulty level is tough ( I gotta put my dip switches down when I play it) but the graphics really are fantastic. The Sega Saturn version is also very good as it is compatible with the 1 or 4 meg ram cart ( SS4 is only compatible with the 1 meg version very odd). I would say its defo not as good as 4 , 2 or 5 ( I wish 5 had its control system) but its well worth owning as its a common AES/CD game and according to NG.COM a very common MVS game which is bollocks as its the least seen SS apart from Special on ebay from my experiences.

All in all its a very good game thats has been surpassed in every way by its sequel which is fair enough as thats what sequels should do.

NeoGeoNinja
STE C wrote:
WHOS THAT FUCKING SPAM TOSSER ABOVE ME TRYING TO SELL BLOODY HANDBAGS FUCK OFF...

HAHAHAHAHA...
Very funny Ste. Yeah... FUCK OFF SPAM TOSSER! Grin

But yeah, Ste's spot on. SS3 is where it's at for me. With some of you here, I know I'm going over old ground, but here it is again:

SS3 = my favourite Samurai Shodown
SS4 = what I think is the best Samurai Shodown.

Two different things entirely. SS3 is my favourite and is the most likely version I'll put on for some fisticuffs with mates etc. However, I do feel that SS4 IS the better game. It's just that SS3 & SS1 were the SS's I grew up with, so I guess nostalgia (re: SS3) and familiarity play a big part too. But like 2D said, the raw and bold BKGD's and overall raw feel (visually, mainly) really appeals to me. It just makes the game look and feel pumped up and aggressive. It gives it a real epic feel to me, disbanding the slow gameplay mechanics and softer character iterations of the past and just going full-on. Big brash character designs and animations, violent SFX and insane damage!! Great stuff.

For me (going from SS1 to SS3)... SS3 was the day SShodown REALLY manned up.

Shame it lost it's steam by SS5 :(

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Bullet
Yeah Sam Sho 3 is my favorite of the series , in a series I don't really like very much. I love the series for its style and art direction, but I've never really enjoyed them in any other way then aesthetically. I still think Sam Sho 2 is insanely overrated.(unleash the hounds) It seems to rest somehow in the love/pleasure centers of the brain, in this imaginary place where the game was anything other than nice to look at. They are slow and plodding with occasional bursts of speed. I really don't think I like them as games, lol Try as I might, as I do come back to the series from time to time, effectively just to remind myself why I don't play them.
Edited by Bullet on 12. October 2010 17:03
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

Wonderboy
How does one know the difference between the original SS3 and the "corrected" version (2-D mentioned), besides observing the gameplay?

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
NeoGeoNinja
1st Super Tobalman wrote:
I never really properly played this game before. But, what many people don't know is Samurai Shodown Pocket 1 & 2 are based on the fighting system of this game. The Pocket versions also include the new characters from SS3. Many years ago, I did have Samurai Shodown Pocket 2, so I guess you could say I sort of experienced SS3 through it...

I KNOW YOU...
probably hate PPL pointing these sorts of things out, however, from experience, SS2! on NGPC was basically more like a pocket SS4 as opposed to SS3 (it even had Sogetsu & Kazama in!). It also featured a similar combo system to what SS4 employs too - which is pretty neat!

So yeah, pretty much 'like' SS4 as opposed to SS3 - as they both feel very different in their own right Wink

(p.s. NEVER played the NGP's SS1! though...)

Ninja

GeeseTheDuck
The graphical style and artstyle makes it look really great and i wish they stayed with it instead of coloring it up for IV. The music is also some of the best you can get in a Samsho title.
As for the game itself...
I'd say it's good, albeit unbalanced fun.
img820.imageshack.us/img820/5397/snksig.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/VoidAvesta
Black Shroud
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
1st Super Tobalman wrote:
But, what many people don't know is Samurai Shodown Pocket 1 & 2 are based on the fighti..

I KNOW YOU...
probably hate PPL pointing these sorts of things out, however, from experience, SS2! on NGPC was basically more like a pocket SS4 as opposed to SS3 (it even had Sogetsu & Kazama in!).:

But, what many people REALLY don't know, is that Samurai Shodown Pocket 1 is pocket conversion of SS4, and Samurai Shodown Pocket 2 is pocket conversion of SSAZ (Asura Zanmanden). The pocket conversion of SS3 is called Nettou Samurai Spirits and was released on GameBoy (maybe on ngpc too, dont remember); and it has Jubei as bonus character.

P.S. Jubei's moveset there is unlike SS2 and SS4
Edited by Black Shroud on 16. October 2010 16:29
i160.photobucket.com/albums/t170/Viscelon/sign1lesser.gif

spirits.kaillera.ru
Raiken
I remember really liking the artwork in this game when I first played it. Somewhere I've got a black and white sketch I drew of Nakoruru's portrait from the opening.

merlin
As much as I love the first two games in the series I feel this was a definite improvement.
Reducing the number of kicks and slashes from 6 to 4 makes a lot of sense considering the Neo Geo only has 4 buttons. I don't think having three different strengths of kick in a weapon fighting game is really necessary. I much prefer the control scheme of SS3 over the previous games.

Graphically SS3 was a major upgrade over the first two games. The large sprites look impressive and are very smoothly animated. Gorgeous backdrops for the fights too especially the stages for Haohmaru, Amakusa and Nakoruru. I'd say this is one of the best looking fighting games on the system. The way the backgrounds change when both fighters are low on energy in the third round is very cool indeed and makes things that bit more dramatic. I like the darker atmosphere in the game too.

All the new cast members are very well designed and appealing with Rimururu being a personal favourite of mine. Love the inclusion of the slash/bust system too which effectively doubles the cast by giving you two different versions of each character to play as. Zankuro is a really impressive looking boss and probably my favourite boss in the series. I know some people object to the high amount of damage you can do in the game but personally I like it. It makes the fights more dramatic and also more realistic considering you are using bladed weapons.

There's no doubt that the game was a little rushed and there are bugs and infinites in the game. Personally I'm not really that bothered about this myself and it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game at all. There is a patch available which fixes these problems if it bothers anyone but I'd rather just play the game in it's original form.

All in all a top quality fighter. The gameplay of SS3 is more enjoyable for me than in the previous games although I still feel SS4 is the best game in the series.
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

NeoGeoNinja
merlin wrote:
As much as I love the first two games in the series I feel this was a definite improvement.
Reducing the number of kicks and slashes from 6 to 4 makes a lot of sense considering the Neo Geo only has 4 buttons. I don't think having three different strengths of kick in a weapon fighting game is really necessary. I much prefer the control scheme of SS3 over the previous games.

Graphically SS3 was a major upgrade over the first two games. The large sprites look impressive and are very smoothly animated. Gorgeous backdrops for the fights too especially the stages for Haohmaru, Amakusa and Nakoruru. I'd say this is one of the best looking fighting games on the system. The way the backgrounds change when both fighters are low on energy in the third round is very cool indeed and makes things that bit more dramatic. I like the darker atmosphere in the game too.

All the new cast members are very well designed and appealing with Rimururu being a personal favourite of mine. Love the inclusion of the slash/bust system too which effectively doubles the cast by giving you two different versions of each character to play as. Zankuro is a really impressive looking boss and probably my favourite boss in the series. I know some people object to the high amount of damage you can do in the game but personally I like it. It makes the fights more dramatic and also more realistic considering you are using bladed weapons.

There's no doubt that the game was a little rushed and there are bugs and infinites in the game. Personally I'm not really that bothered about this myself and it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game at all. There is a patch available which fixes these problems if it bothers anyone but I'd rather just play the game in it's original form.

All in all a top quality fighter. The gameplay of SS3 is more enjoyable for me than in the previous games although I still feel SS4 is the best game in the series.

MERLIN...
you absolutely nailed it. Spot on! Clap

Ninja

marktheshark
I don't really like this game back when I first played it around last year or so. Recently, though, I think it's my favorite Samurai Spirits game besides Samurai Spirits II & IV. Unfortunately, the bust/slash system is just dumb & the PSX & Saturn ports aren't very good.

I can't understand why everybody thinks it's hard. I'm able to at least go through a few fights at the MVS difficulty. I think Samurai Spirits II is actually harder than III.

NeoGeoNinja
marktheshark wrote:
I don't really like this game back when I first played it around last year or so. Recently, though, I think it's my favorite Samurai Spirits game besides Samurai Spirits II & IV. Unfortunately, the bust/slash system is just dumb & the PSX & Saturn ports aren't very good.

I can't understand why everybody thinks it's hard. I'm able to at least go through a few fights at the MVS difficulty. I think Samurai Spirits II is actually harder than III.

YOU SAY THE SATURN PORT...
isn't very good? Is this 1st hand experience or something you've read?? I've had the Saturn port for years and... I have no complaints. So whats the deal? The PSX port... sure. That isn't very good at all, but the Saturn port is good.

And, as for the Bust/Slash system being 'dumb'... that's just opinion I guess, but it's something I sorely miss from 5/Zero and indeed the prequels. I like the option myself. Dumb is, I dunno... forcing a six-button set-up onto a game, for a console, that utilises a four-button controller...

Ninja

STE C
Yeah the Saturn port is spot on but I doubt Mark has even played it, hes probably been listening to the shite they spiel on NG.COM and tried to pass it off as his own answer, no disrespect like Mark. Never played any PSX SS ports but all Saturn ones and KOF conversions are very good ( pretty hard to tell the difference to look at) as I ( as well as Ninja) actually have the pleasure of owning them I consider that pretty final.
Edited by STE C on 18. October 2010 17:53

Murikov
I completed SamShoIII two days ago (right after completing SamSho II) and was I amazed how well the series improved so far. The new dodging system and the new button set-up feels very easygoing and smooth as well. And I also agree with most of you that the stages, music and the gloomy atmosphere are all terrific (especially Nakoruru's and Ukyo's stage really impressed me).

The only drop of bitterness imo is the character roster. Some of the new fighters are splendid, but I really miss classics like Wan-Fu, Earthquake or Jubei. Maybe SNK thought that these "veterans" wouldn't match to the darker setting, but for me it's only a shame.

That's why I declare SamSho IV as the better masterpiece in conclusion.

marktheshark wrote:

I completely agree with you, Mark. I played it in MVS difficulty as well and made much better progress as in the prequel (which really wasn't easy at all).
i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/SNK%20stuff/SNK_zps13025fff.gif

NeoGeoNinja
Murikov wrote:
...The only drop of bitterness imo is the character roster. Some of the new fighters are splendid, but I really miss classics like Wan-Fu, Earthquake or Jubei. Maybe SNK thought that these "veterans" wouldn't match to the darker setting, but for me it's only a shame.

That's why I declare SamSho IV as the better masterpiece in conclusion.

I AGREE WITH THIS...
too Murikov. I love the SS3 roster BUT I do miss Earthquake and WanFu in particular. Oddly, I care less for Jubei & Charlotte BUT they are still an awesome re-addition to SS4. Tam Tam however... *shudders* I mean, with WanFu and Earthquake on the table? What were SNK thinking Shrug

It's true: SS4 IS the better game, I just prefer SS3. It's f*cking hardcore Headbang

Murikov wrote:
marktheshark wrote:

I completely agree with you, Mark. I played it in MVS difficulty as well and made much better progress as in the prequel (which really wasn't easy at all).

I FEEL THE SAME...
way about this too. I find SS3 to be a cinch compared to SS2...

AH YES...
the final battle against Zankuro: quite possibly the most EPIC final battle in a fighting game I have ever encountered?! Hmm

Ninja

NeoStrayCat
SS3 to me is alright, but yeah I concur with its abusive difficulty and damage, but sure it makes it more realistic, but true nonetheless. And sure I'll deal with the Roster back to 12 (13 if you play as Zankuro in Console Port) with the "Classic" Characters not on 3. But all in all a good game.
card.exophase.com/1/712966.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
Jump to Forum: