Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: 1983parrothead
Thread ID: 2907
Thread Info
There are 8 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 2764 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Technos Japan / Million company discussion
1983parrothead
When most people think of Technos Japan, they mostly think of the Double Dragon franchise (especially its home console ports and exclusives, because home console gaming is more convenient than arcade gaming), followed by a few Kunio-kun titles like Renegade, River City Ransom, Crash 'n' The Boys Street Challenge and the arcade and Neo-Geo versions of Super Dodge Ball. Sometimes they think of Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer, The Combatribes and when they supported Data East in developing the Karate Champ and Tag Team Wrestling arcades.

But what about Minky Monkey (Technos Japan's first arcade game?), Dommy, Eggs, Scrambled Eggs, Mysterious Stone, Acrobatic Dog-Fight, Syusse Oozumou (an early sumo wrestling game), Mat Mania, Mania Challenge, Bogey Manor (play this during this Halloween), Battle Lane!, Xain'd Sleena, China Gate, Shadow Force - Henshin Ninja, Sugoro Quest++ Dicenics, Geom Cube, DunQuest and some licensed games based on Popeye and WWF franchises?

Technos Japan may deserve more credit than Data East in developing Karate Champ and Tag Team Wrestling, but they were founded by three former Data East employees. Yoshihisa Kishimoto, one of Technos Japan's main employees, was also a Data East employee, who's first game was Data East's Pro Soccer (released in November 1983). He later created Data East's interactive movie games Road Blaster (a.k.a. Road Avenger, Road Prosecutor, etc.) and Thunder Storm (a.k.a. Cobra Command (ntbcw the 1988 shooter)).

The LX-5 car later appeared in the garage seen in the very first part of the Double Dragon arcade (as well as its home ports), and the LX-3 Super Cobra helicopter later appeared in the garage seen in the very first part of the arcade version of Double Dragon II: The Revenge (as well as in most home ports of it). The reason why is that Yoshihisa Kishimoto, creator of Road Blaster and Thunder Storm, later went to Technos Japan and created the Double Dragon series, as well as the Kunio-kun series (including Technos Japan's first own successful game, Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun, better known outside of Japan as Renegade).

What makes the Kunio-kun and Double Dragon series so successful and popular is their influence by the Karate Champ arcade. When I noticed that both were developed by Technos Japan, I started comparing their gameplay and noticed that some characters in both Karate Champ, Kunio-kun and Double Dragon can attack in many ways. They even can attack backwards while facing the opposite direction.

Road Blaster and the Double Dragon series were both influenced by the Mad Max series; however, they closely match the references of the Hokuto no Ken series, which both Kenshiro and the Lee Brothers pay tribute to Bruce Lee, while Road Blaster was animated by Toei Animation, the same studio that animated the Hokuto no Ken anime. Of course, Hokuto no Ken was also influenced by the Mad Max series and Bruce Lee, it has some originality, like gigantic enemies (what Abobo, Burnov and other similar Double Dragon characters).

Kunio, like Sunsoft's mascot Hebe from the Hebereke series (or is he?), is also a company mascot (of Technos Japan), who also had his look and name changed, but more than once. Despite Kunio being the company's mascot, most people outside of Japan appreciate the Double Dragon series more than the Kunio-kun series, enough to get the Double Dragon series milked to death by crossing it over Rareware's Battletoads, have its own animated series made in the same fashion as the 1987 TMNT animated series (which were both loosely based on their original counterparts and were used to advertise their toylines), and have a not-so-good film that's probably better than the ones for the Mario and Street Fighter franchises.

After they released their last game, Kunio no Nekketsu Dodgeball Densetsu (known outside of Japan as the Neo-Geo Super Dodge Ball), they filed for bankruptcy and went out of business, while they later founded the successor, Million Co. Ltd.. Currently, Arc System Works supports them in developing and publishing some Kunio-kun titles.
Edited by 1983parrothead on 10. December 2010 04:32

NeoGeoNinja
1983parrothead wrote:
He later created Data East's interactive movie games Road Blaster (a.k.a. Road Avenger, Road Prosecutor, etc.) and Thunder Storm (a.k.a. Cobra Command (ntbcw the 1988 shooter)).

The LX-5 car later appeared in the garage seen in the very first part of the Double Dragon arcade (as well as its home ports), and the LX-3 Super Cobra helicopter later appeared in the garage seen in the very first part of the arcade version of Double Dragon II: The Revenge (as well as in most home ports of it). The reason why is that Yoshihisa Kishimoto, creator of Road Blaster and Thunder Storm, later went to Technos Japan and created the Double Dragon series...

YEP. I FOUND....
all the stuff I quoted f*ckin' cool! As soon as you said it, the Pontiac Firebird looking hot-rod just *clicked* in my head - both in Road Avenger AND Double Dragon! Amazing!! And of course the Helicopter too from Thunder Storm...

Yeah, they're some seriously cool facts right there! Cheers. Thumbs Up

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

shion
Wait, you're saying the car in the garage at the beginning of the game is from Road Blaster? Whoa. You're blowing my mind. I seem to recall the helicopter being in Double Dragon II, not one, but the inclusion of that icon is a nice too. Cool!

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
NeoGeoNinja
1st Super Tobalman wrote:
Wait, you're saying the car in the garage at the beginning of the game is from Road Blaster? Whoa. You're blowing my mind. I seem to recall the helicopter being in Double Dragon II, not one, but the inclusion of that icon is a nice too. Cool!

IT'S TRUE THOUGH...
that IS actually mindblowing! I love it!!

Ninja

TF73
Nice to have some new facts about a game that I really love, thanks!

1983parrothead
Here is something else that's exciting to know. It's returning from being offline and it's an upcoming, online, Flash-powered game titled "Kunio World":

http://www.kuniow...

And I recently noticed that Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer probably wasn't the first fighting game to allow players to obtain one of their defeated opponents' moves, weapons or other abilities. It probably was Strata's BloodStorm.

Speaking of Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer, I noticed that some people think that both that and the other Neo-Geo fighting game by Technos Japan, Double Dragon, are mediocre, but which is better in your opinion?
Edited by 1983parrothead on 07. December 2010 06:47

NeoGeoNinja
KUNIO WORLD...
looks pretty cool Parrothead! Something to do with River City Ransom by the looks of things???

Did this specific game (this flash-based one) exist before or after Scott Pilgrim - as they look VERY similar. I'll admit though... I prefer Scott Pilgrims graphical style here, although the animation on the moves looks way cooler in Kunio World (not to be confused with actual frames of animation!).

AND...
out of Gowcaizer vs Double Dragon...

I'd opt for Double Dragon. Every. Single. Time.

Ninja

merlin
A lot of good info there Parrothead. Nice thread. I haven't really played many Technos games just the Double Dragon series, Nintendo World Cup, China Gate and their three Neo Geo titles. I think overall Double Dragon 2 (NES) would be my favourite Technos game. Possibly the NES game I've played the most in multiplayer. A great beat 'em up.

I can remember Nintendo World Cup got a few bad reviews when it came out but I always enjoyed it. Nice that it's got a 4 player mode too. One thing that always amused me about the game was that when players get injured they just lie on the pitch for ages and their cpu controlled teammates still pass the ball to them. Grin

I keep hearing people say how great River City Ransom is even that it's one of the best beat 'em ups. I need to give it a try one of these days.

As for Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer and Double Dragon I'd say both are good fighters. The vast majority of people would probably say Double Dragon is by far the best of the two but I've always preferred Gowcaizer myself. Obviously there are much better fighters on the system but I like Masami Obari's character designs, the gameplay is fun and also gaining new moves is a pretty cool idea. I liked the game so much I also bought the VFG anime. Only the select few are able to appreciate VFG's qualities. Pfft

Jump to Forum: