Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Supergrafx
Thread ID: 2890
Thread Info
There are 10 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 3227 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
3DO and ATARI JAGUAR
Supergrafx
Any members own either or both of these systems?And what do you think of them?The 3DO has the best home conversions of both Samurai Shodown and Streetfighter2 IMO.Mai

NeoGeoNinja
SURE...
I'm quite heavily into both these systems!

For your viewing pleasure, please feel free to take a look at my 'attempts' at starting similar threads a while back (like nearly 2yrs ago!)...

MY 3DO THREAD...
http://www.neogeo...ad_id=1471

MY ATARI JAGUAR THREAD...
http://www.neogeo...ad_id=1472

Please add you thoughts and what not to these/my existing threads if possible? (if the mods/admin don't mind?).

That way these threads will come back from obscurity and newer members (since said threads) can add their thoughts etc too.

Cheers...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

kgenthe
I'm still around NeoGeoNinja Smile

Anyway, instead of resurrecting the old threads, I'll post here.

I own both systems. I hardly touch my 3DO. I've played Gex and Need for Speed quite a bit, but both are also available for the PlayStation. That's about all I got to say about that.

I am a big Jaguar fan and have somewhere around 20 games. Super Burnout is a terrific 2D racer showing off the 2D capabilities of the system. Raiden is a great shmup, though it doesn't look nearly as good as the Neo Geo shmups. Rayman is obviously terrific. I find Tempest 2K a bit over rated, same goes for AvP (slow and boring). Power Drive Rally is also a fun top down racer, but is no where near as impressive as Neo Drift Out. I'll also give a shout out to Doom and Atari Karts.

The Jaguar is a decent system, but certainly doesn't have a deep library.

http://www.implantgames.com
Supergrafx
The Atari Jaguar is another games machine that bled to death through lack of third party game titles....back then if you didn't have Capcom,Konami and Electronic Arts making games for your system you were always going to struggle.Atari had no support from any of these software giants,Electronic Arts were throwing all their support at the 3DO while Capcom and Konami were being held on a tight leash by nintendo.The only third party support Atari got was from Acclaim,Ubisoft and I.D.Certainly whoever designed the controllers for the Jaguar had never played a video game in his/her life and should have been shot.The problems with the controllers were being voiced by gamers from the day the machine was released but Atari ignored the issue and concentrated on getting the CD rom drive out.The Jaguar versions of Doom and Wolfenstein were actually the best on a home console at the time,Bubsy and Rayman were excellent platformers but fighting games were the most popular and the Jaguar failed miserably in this department.....again due to the controller issue....if you were playing a 2 player fighting game on the Jaguar you would have more fun trying to bash each other with the controllers than playing the game.There was supposed to be a Jaguar version of Mortal Kombat but the cost of the game along with a controller to play it got that one shelved.

Total Carnage,Atari Karts,Tempest 2000,Alien vs Predator and the earlier mentioned games are all very good games and IMO worth owning a Jaguar for.....Iron Soldier and Iron Soldier 2 are also worth trying.Mai

kgenthe
I disagree slightly with the controller comment. The controller is actually very comfortable to hold. It looks strange, and the number pad is a bit retro, but it's a decent design. The mushy d-pad and button on the other hand... lousy. Still not as bad as an SMS pad Smile

Towards the end of the Jaguar's life, it did receive a proper controller with 6 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons, and better button feel. (too little too late)

I am fairly certain that Mortal Kombat 3 had the green light (being ported and paid for by Atari themselves) but the Jaguar died prior to any real work being done. Not due to controller issues or price problems (well, not directly). Ultra Vortek is generally well liked, but certainly didn't have the name recognition to matter.

Despite it being a somewhat sparce system, most people do find a few games to justify it's purchase (like yourself).

http://www.implantgames.com
Bullet
Fight For Life.

oh and I hated daisy chaining controllers on the 3DO.
Edited by Bullet on 01. October 2010 02:23
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

RiKo
i dont like the controller either on the jag im afraid. its a bit cheap looking too.

what was the point of daisey chaining the controllers anyway on the 3DO? i am thinking it was just to save money on extra sockets on the console, and you wouldnt need a 4 player adpator. nice idea in a way i suppose.
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
valgalder
I'm a big Jaguar fan.. used to run J.F.P.N (Jaguar Front Page News) site from 1997- 2007)

I kind of lost track of the community, but still check it out once in a while because there is still a decent hombrew developers out there. I wish there was the same for Neo Geo! I recently busted out all my Jaguar games and a lot of them do not age well unfortunately, but there are still the few that are as amazing now as they were back then (Tempest 2000!)

I'm still looking forward to the new Gorf game coming out for it (10+ years in the making). It's amazing the amount of prototypes, and unreleased games that have been professionally released in the past few years though. It's really nice to see all that effort.

I also did have several 3DO consoles over the years, and liked it. It had some great ports, but suffered also from lousy advertising, being too expensive. It even had EA support for a while (Madden, Road Rage..) .. and the ports of Wolf 3D and Doom were terrible (although the music in Wolf 3D was excellent) the Jag kills it.

My favorite game for the 3DO is Return Fire.. one of the most run 2 player games around, and worth finding a cheap 3DO for it IMO. ALso like somebody mentioned, the Street Fighter 2 port was great, as was SamSho, but who needs a port of that game when you have a real Neo Geo? Smile

NeoGeoNinja
kgenthe wrote:
I'm still around NeoGeoNinja Smile

KGENTHE!
Good to see you around buddy Wink

Ninja

NeoGeoNinja
valgalder wrote:
I'm a big Jaguar fan.. used to run J.F.P.N (Jaguar Front Page News) site from 1997- 2007)

I kind of lost track of the community, but still check it out once in a while because there is still a decent hombrew developers out there. I wish there was the same for Neo Geo! I recently busted out all my Jaguar games and a lot of them do not age well unfortunately, but there are still the few that are as amazing now as they were back then (Tempest 2000!)

I'm still looking forward to the new Gorf game coming out for it (10+ years in the making). It's amazing the amount of prototypes, and unreleased games that have been professionally released in the past few years though. It's really nice to see all that effort.

I also did have several 3DO consoles over the years, and liked it. It had some great ports, but suffered also from lousy advertising, being too expensive. It even had EA support for a while (Madden, Road Rage..) .. and the ports of Wolf 3D and Doom were terrible (although the music in Wolf 3D was excellent) the Jag kills it.

My favorite game for the 3DO is Return Fire.. one of the most run 2 player games around, and worth finding a cheap 3DO for it IMO. ALso like somebody mentioned, the Street Fighter 2 port was great, as was SamSho, but who needs a port of that game when you have a real Neo Geo? Smile

NICE TO SEE THAT...
we have a REAL Jag fan here Valgalder. So what happened to JFPN then? Sounds interesting?? I'm quite new to the Jaguar 'scene' and I can already see that it's quite the political community!! I hope this wasn't the reason why you took a backseat?

Like you say though, it's quite exciting to see how many PPL are still so heavily interested and passionate about the Jaguar. It's cool to see new stuff coming out all the time, although I think it's safe to say that you have to be cut from a certain cloth to appreciate the angle of the Jaguar if I was honest. It takes a strong man and an open mind to see any redeeming qualities in the likes of Aircars for example Grin

As for Wolf3D on Jag and 3DO - I really don't see it anywhere near as clean cut as you portray it if I was honest. Personally, I reckon that the 3DO version is probably the BEST home console version available, while the Jaguar offers a nice unique version not found anywhere else. Swings and roundabouts I guess...

Ninja

Jump to Forum: