Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: The eccentric cat
Thread ID: 2884
Thread Info
There are 16 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 12275 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Is King of Fighters 98 as good as everyone says?
Yeah!! Its one of the best in the series! Yeah!! Its one of the best in the series! 79%[11 Votes]
Its really good! If only outdone in few aspects, but still very fun! Its really good! If only outdone in few aspects, but still very fun! 14%[2 Votes]
Its good, but.. certainly not the best on the system Its good, but.. certainly not the best on the system 7%[1 Vote]
Poor.. Poor.. 0%[0 Votes]
Total Votes : 14
 Print Thread
King of Fighters '98 discussion
The eccentric cat
Hello, and welcome to Game of the Week!

Ah, yes, KOF '98.. easily one of the most popular fighting game on the system, and of the series. For good reason! It brought back many of characters from the previous games, so it isn't restricted by storyline issues!

Its one of the best in the series, so be sure to check it out! Fighting game fans should also give it a try, you won't be disappointed! ^^

King of Fighters 98

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_162/kof98_t2.jpg

Genre: Fighting
Players: 2
Size: 683 megs
Released on: AES, MVS, Neo CD, Playstation, Dreamcast, Playstation 2/Xbox Live Arcade (King of Fighters 98: Ultimate Match)

Brief Description:

he King of Fighters '98 (commonly abbreviated as KOF '98) is a 1998 fighting game released by SNK released for the Neo Geo arcade and home console. It is the fifth game in The King of Fighters series. This installment was advertised by SNK as a "special edition" of the series, as it featured most of the characters who appeared in the previous games (from KOF '94 to '97), regardless of whether the character was killed off in the series' ongoing storyline (which would resumed in the following game in the series with a new story arc).

The gameplay does not differ much from the previous game, KOF '97. Like in KOF '97, the player has a choice between two playing styles: Advance and Extra, with a few slight modifications to Advance mode (unlike in KOF '97, the character will resume to normal if the player performs a Super Special Move in MAX state). This time when one character loses a round, the losing team is given a handicap in its favor. In Advance mode, this means that the player's stock capacity for Power Gauges is increased by one. In Extra mode, the time it takes to charge one's power gauge to maximum level is shortened

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_48/kof98title.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_48/kof98intro.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_48/kof98select.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_48/kof98shot.jpeg

Reviews:

King of Fighters 98 review by Kazuya_UK

Videos:

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

Highscore Challenge:

http://www.neogeo...ad_id=2881

Good luck!

Past GOTW Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->

#2 Nam 1975 -->

#3 Pulstar -->

#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->

#5 Blues Journey -->

#6 Fatal Fury -->

#7 Shock Troopers -->

#8 Sengoku -->

#9 Ninja Commando -->

#10 Ninja Master's -->

#11 Crystalis -->

#12 Thrash Rally -->

#13 Art of Fighting -->

#14 Waku Waku 7 -->

#15 Andro Dunos -->

#16 KOF '94 -->

#17 Nightmare on the Dark -->

#17 Twinkle Star Sprites -->

#18 Zupapa -->

#19 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->

#20 The Last Blade -->

#21 Crossed Swords -->

#22 Cyber Lip -->

#23 Samurai Shodown -->

#24 King of the Monsters -->

#25 The King of Fighters '95 -->

#26 Fatal Fury 2 -->

#27 Aero Fighters 2 -->

#28 Neo Bomberman -->

#29 Metal Slug -->

#30 Kabuki Klash -->

#31 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->

#32 Mutation Nation -->

#33 Blazing Star -->

#34 World Heroes -->

#35 King of Fighters '96 -->

#36 Neo Drift Out -->

#37 Magical Drop 2 -->

#38 Top Hunter -->

#39 Savage Reign -->

#40 Metal Slug 2/X -->

#41 Alpha Mission 2 -->

#42 Aggresors of Dark Kombat -->

#43 Art of Fighting 2 -->

#44 Super Sidekicks -->

#45 Sengoku 2 -->

#46 Metal Slug 3 -->

#47 Burning Fight -->

#48 Money Puzzle Exchanger -->

#49 Panic Bomber: Bomberman -->

#50 King of Monsters 2 -->

#51 Samurai Shodown 2 -->

#52 World Heroes 2 -->

#53 Last Resort -->

#54 Rage of the Dragons -->

#55 Leauge Bowling

#56 Metal Slug 4 -->

#57 Legend of Sucess Joe -->

#58 Puzzle Bobble -->

#59 Pochi and Nyaa -->

#60 Robo Army -->

#61 Captain Tomaday -->

#62 Metal Slug 5 -->

#63 King of Fighters '97 -->

#64 Athena/Psycho Soldier -->

#65 The Super Spy -->

#66 Strikers 1945 Plus -->

#67 Ghost Pilots -->

#68 Iron Tank -->

#69 Magical Drop 3-->

#70 Fatal Fury 3 -->

#71 Art of Fighting 3 -->

#72 Viewpoint -->

#73 Sonic Pocket Adventure -->

#74 Prehistoric Isle in 1930s -->

#75 Beast Busters -->

#76 Shock Troopers 2 -->

#77 Real Bout Fatal Fury -->

#78 Ninja Combat -->

#79 Neo Turf Masters -->

#80 Last Blade: Beyond the Destiny -->

#81 Bubble Bobble 2 -->
Edited by The eccentric cat on 05. October 2010 00:52
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

Will
Good to have another KOF game this week. The title opening has become kind of sloppy from the previous ones. I never expected in this game the return of Rugal, I thought that he was finished for good in KOF 95'. New teams that appear are the Veteran Team consisting of Heidern, Takuma and Saishu Kusanagi, then there's the shame of the return of the USA Sports Team, the Orochi Team and the strange combination team of Billy Kane, Blue Mary and Yamazaki. Fancy a police officer teaming with a couple of rogues, which in some way differs from the Korean Team. Once again King and Mai are lucky to have Chizuru on their team. Also now you get the chance to play as Rugal.

The scenes in the game are very good and some them seem to reflect previous KOF fighting scenes, but its a pity you don't where in the world you are fighting. The referee's voice in the game sounds a bit like Blue Mary and her accent is funny and amusing.

I would finalise that KOF 98 though not impressive plotline wise still has enough to satisfy a player's appetite.

The eccentric cat
Note: I did not include any artwork/extras yet, I'm still trying to figure out the right format to include the artwork in (not trying to clutter up the thread >_< ). That list needs to be shortened..

I'm sorry for the inconvenience everyone!

Murikov
What a coincidence - I snatched a AES copy of KoF '98 about two weeks ago.

What can I tell about this fine game? It has a very nice overall presentation, superb music and lots of characters (of course hidden ones too) as well. But what makes this game definitely splendid is the Versus mode. No other KoF IMO (besides '02) offers that much for a nice 2P challenge. And somehow I enjoy KoF '98 more than '02 - I think it might be due to the livelier atmosphere, the stages or music... Whatever!

I also have to agree with Will that the storyline is nothing spectacular - if not one of the "worst" of the KoF series. Rugal in a submarine base? No scenes or even short dialogues between characters? WTF? Ok, KoF '98 might be a Slugfest/Dream Match or whatever, but SNK could have done this better.

Nevertheless, 98' is definitely one of my favorite KoF's and probably the most remarkable one of the series.
i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/SNK%20stuff/SNK_zps13025fff.gif

STE C
KOF 98 , 02,03,99, any of these games for me could be called the best KOF. But for some reason I see to enjoy playing 98 the most, something about the game that I cant put my finger on, it screams I AM THE BEST KOF. Yeah Rugal sucks at the end but its a dream match like 02 so no story required.

I really love the backgrounds especially China and the rarely seen level outside the temple gates (when you fight the old timers team ). The game is bright colorful and solid, people say I should try the PS2 update but fact is I dont need it the original is enough. If you are gonna buy just one NG KOF then I would say get this or 02/99/03 all of which are just as good if not equal.

Murikov
STE C wrote:
I really love the backgrounds especially China and the rarely seen level outside the temple gates (when you fight the old timers team ).

My two favorite stages too! I like the way how the old temple refers to a stage from a certain KoF prequel...

img337.imageshack.us/img337/3334/kof95.png
img529.imageshack.us/img529/9100/kof98.png

Deja vu? Or should I say "Before and After"? Smile
i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/SNK%20stuff/SNK_zps13025fff.gif

NeoGeoNinja
THE DEFINITIVE KOF'S...
as far as I'm concerned are: 95, 98, 99, 02 & 03.

Out of these games, I would say 98 is at the bottom of that AMAZING pile. I do like 98, however, for me, the 96-98 era of KOF was my least favourite in terms of how the characters played (except Robert! He's mega between 96-98!!) and how the games felt overall, with 98 refining that shitty 96 feel by the end...

The best thing about 98 is the roster. Simple. Gameplay is decent, but bettered by the NESTS iterations imo (without factoring in balance!). For me, the game lacks in terms of exciting BKGD designs and music. Don't know what it is, but even though they're BEAUTIFULLY presented, they're definitely uninspired and a very lonely step back from the likes of 95' & 96's... and then improved upon again (BOTH MUSIC and BKGDs) in 99. Like I say, it's all a bout the roster as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah - not dribbling over KOF 98 as 'tehs bestez KOFZ evars' (insulting and condescending that 'tehs' shit, isn't it?) but it's definitely the best from that 96-98 era.

I have much more POSITIVE feelings for the remastered 98UM version though... it's just epic! It just feels more responsive, tighter and just nicer than 98 or 98DM (DC). The updated EX characters are amazing too...

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

bojan4o
for me there is no bad kof or great kof or awesome kof cuz they are all equal....

AWESOME

yea i agree with murikov about the best stage of the game is this one

img529.imageshack.us/img529/9100/kof98.png

just because when someone hit the ground really hard a top of the ceiling which is made from wood falls to the ground its just epic i like stages like that to be made more like wind blows the hair of the character is moving along with it if they hit the ground really hard with some special move to leave a small hole or crack or big crack if you hit something on the way to fall then the gameplay will be really great i hope somebody will make something like that maybe i will wel of course if i learn how to make it first LOL

Again sorry for the long post see ya in a another long post LOL

2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

NeoStrayCat
KOF '98(inculding DM and UM) is a really solid Dream Match title that includes everyone (including the UM extras), and it has a real good feel of fighting with every character from 94-97, yeah, I hear you guys that it may or may not be a good KOF, but at least it has its doubts. Also, Cat, don't forget that KoF 98(UM) was also ported to the 360 (XBLA) as well.
Edited by NeoStrayCat on 01. October 2010 18:52
gamercards.exophase.com/33313.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
Keita-Kata
KOF 98! One of the best of the best, it's a great game and I love playing it. Good character roster.
Edited by Keita-Kata on 13. January 2014 03:01
i39.tinypic.com/16as66f.jpg

PSN: KeitaKata and BlackWings83

The eccentric cat
The Stray wrote:
Also, Cat, don't forget that KoF 98(UM) was also ported to the 360 (XBLA) as well.

Point taken.

LIFE_IN_2D
I know that KOF '98 is supposed to be one of the best , actually THE best Kof... but It's really not that to me. It's not terrible, IMO but I really don't like the in-game graphics and quite frankly I think the Sports team is a waste of roster space. The character select screen is very ugly ,IMO. I suppose I should pick this up again sometime and try to see what other people see in it. Like I said it's not terrible, but gimme '00,'02 or '03 over it, any day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, this game probably has the best official art in any year. Check out this picture, everybody is in character. Kyo ; in the center soaking up the spot light, with a tux with a black undershirt, unbuttoned collar ( to show his youth-full rebellion). Terry, of course, is casual : Jeans, cool sports blazer and of course he would never trade in his red Chucks for silly dress shoes Terry. Iori wearing a dark purple suit (his flame color), in the background, totally alone and anti-social. Maybe I looked into this a bit too much, but I find it amazing how SNK strived to give each fighter their own defined persona (much more so than Capcom), very awesome.

en.wikivisual.com/images/9/92/Kof98-006.jpg
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 05. October 2010 01:54
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

NeoGeoNinja
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:
I know that KOF '98 is supposed to be one of the best , actually THE best Kof... but It's really not that to me. It's not terrible, IMO but I really don't like the in-game graphics and quite frankly I think the Sports team is a waste of roster space. The character select screen is very ugly ,IMO. I suppose I should pick this up again sometime and try to see what other people see in it. Like I said it's not terrible, but gimme '00,'02 or '03 over it, any day...

I HEAR YA 2D...
you have similar sentiments to myself RE: 98. Dunno if you have or not already (sometimes PPL don't??) but check out my comments above. You'll probably be able to relate to what I've said... Wink

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

bojan4o
LIFE_IN_2D wrote:
I know that KOF '98 is supposed to be one of the best , actually THE best Kof... but It's really not that to me. It's not terrible, IMO but I really don't like the in-game graphics and quite frankly I think the Sports team is a waste of roster space. The character select screen is very ugly ,IMO. I suppose I should pick this up again sometime and try to see what other people see in it. Like I said it's not terrible, but gimme '00,'02 or '03 over it, any day.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, this game probably has the best official art in any year. Check out this picture, everybody is in character. Kyo ; in the center soaking up the spot light, with a tux with a black undershirt, unbuttoned collar ( to show his youth-full rebellion). Terry, of course, is casual : Jeans, cool sports blazer and of course he would never trade in his red Chucks for silly dress shoes Terry. Iori wearing a dark purple suit (his flame color), in the background, totally alone and anti-social. Maybe I looked into this a bit too much, but I find it amazing how SNK strived to give each fighter their own defined persona (much more so than Capcom), very awesome.

en.wikivisual.com/images/9/92/Kof98-006.jpg

and can you find more pictures like this?
2.bp.blogspot.com/-ydrrBL7IMp4/TcJO0vWWqzI/AAAAAAAAAfU/7iKc_MKXqaY/s1600/The+Lone+Wolf.jpg

STE C
That pic is kinda cool I have always loved it and yes 2D I agree with your sentiment about the characters personality's at that lovely looking dinner party.

Wonderboy
I can see your point 2-D. KOF '96 is the money shot gameplay-wise (pardon my French), KOF '98 is icing on the cake, the after sex kisses, gameplay-wise (pardon my French again). This is probably the best way to put it, especially for n00bz. The intro of KOF '96 is so much better than '98 (what the heck is up with the cheesy Aerosmith guitar sounds in the back?), but that's just my pet peeve. KOF '96 actually has a story, unlike '98. Story or more characters, what do you prefer? Hmm. It's a matter of preference. Ultimately, we're just debating how many angels can dance on the tip of a pin... I give '98 the edge because more people play it on GGPO and Kaillera, and tournaments in general (right now, in the year 2010).
Edited by Wonderboy on 06. October 2010 21:34

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
Jump to Forum: