Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: shion
Thread ID: 2863
Thread Info
There are 13 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 7342 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Virtua Stick "High Grade"
shion
I'm thinking about splurging on one more VG purchase (they are rare for me)... Smile

On my search for high end sticks, yesterday I came across the Japan-only VIRTUA STICK High Grade:
http://www.1up.co...Id=8063928

Being a latecomer to the scene (the gaming scene for the past several years), this stick is news to me. It looks totally awesome though. If one comes across the initial reviews/previews for this stick, one will gather that it is a stellar controller, and, arguably, the best stick straight out of the box (I've read many stick connoisseurs call it better than any stick Hori has to offer...). However, I decided to dig deeper (I don't have a lot of money right now, and I have to make my money stretch). It turns out Sega recalled this controller shortly after releasing it!

http://ps3.ign.co...186p1.html

Here in the West, this story went under the radar for the most part, although I'm pretty sure the stick's actual release went under the radar too here. So, once again with things related to Sega today, all this information puts the stick in a rather gray area. The problem is the buttons don't register at times. However, what is seldom said (about this problem) on message boards is the problem only resides in six button games: i.e. Street Fighter games and similar Capcom titles. Basically: Capcom, Capcom, Capcom. It would affect other six button games that require pressing multiple buttons down too. However, I rarely play Capcom fighters, or six button fighters for that matter, so I'm not even considering buying one of these sticks for the sake of those games. I'd use it for a lot of early/mid 90s beat 'em ups and some 90s fighters on MAME. I'd also use it for Model 2 emulation. It's very hard to track one of these down now (especially new) after Sega recalled the controllers, and then, apparently, liquidated them all into the Japanese market quickly.

Interestingly, Sega still sold the controllers after the recall, after they "tried" to correct the problem. It is unclear as to whether the problem was totally corrected or not after the tinkering. Everyone I've read who tried the stick is using a different PC and Windows, hence, different results (which speaks mountains about Windows and PC's native environments, to say the least!). Does anyone have any experience with these sticks? Has anyone here even heard of this one? Thoughts? Thanks.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/1stTobalMan/contribu
NeoGeoNinja
CAPCOM...
make the best 2D fighters on the market, and always have. SNK are 2nd only to Capcom in this genre. Even if my preference IS SNK overall, SNK's fighters just aren't quite as tight or polished. What I do prefer about SNK's games though is the more complex systems on offer and the more ambitious gameplay overall... not to mention character designs, music design etc. I digress...

TO ADDRESS...
your original point, as much as I love SEGA and their previous sticks (JAP Saturn & DC) hearing what you've relayed here re: VSHigh Grade, I definitely wouldn't bother getting one. Whether you plan to play 6-button fighters/games on it or not, dysfunctionality isn't really something you should want to buy into (although PPL buy 360's everyday by the truckload!).

To my knowledge, the BEST Arcade Stick available is (wait for it...) the Street Fighter 4 T.E./Tournament Edition Stick by MadCatz. It basically mirrors the set-up available in the 'Viewlix' arcade cabinets round and about in Japan, and was in huge demand after it was announced as having such elite specs... at a price of course. Depends on your budget I guess, but you wouldn't catch me shelling 150+ for a stick...

Safest bet would definitely be a HORI Real Arcade Pro imo. They're affordable, of very high quality and are also serviceable and upgradeable - should you decide to in the future. PS3 version (has to be wired!) will work on PS3 and PC (via USB on both). MAybe well worth looking into...

SO YEAH...
the SF4 T.E. is the best out there right now, however, if you're not a tournament level pro, or well-off, you might be best off with a Hori Smile

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

shion
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
CAPCOM...
make the best 2D fighters on the market, and always have. SNK are 2nd only to Capcom in this genre. Even if my preference IS SNK overall, SNK's fighters just aren't quite as tight or polished. What I do prefer about SNK's games though is the more complex systems on offer and the more ambitious gameplay overall... not to mention character designs, music design etc. I digress...

This is just your opinion, of course. Smile

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
TO ADDRESS...
your original point, as much as I love SEGA and their previous sticks (JAP Saturn & DC) hearing what you've relayed here re: VSHigh Grade, I definitely wouldn't bother getting one. Whether you plan to play 6-button fighters/games on it or not, dysfunctionality isn't really something you should want to buy into (although PPL buy 360's everyday by the truckload!).

I know exactly where you're coming from, considering you have a Mac (as I do). In general, selling defective hardware/software is simply inexcusable on the manufacturer's part (yet so many companies do so anyway, if you know what I mean LOL). I believe you have a strong conviction for electronics that are solidly built, if simply for the sake of principle. Smile Some people have suggested replacing the stick's board with one that has no known defects, which would require modification, and thus, another expense. Even with the board, people have reported the same problem. Therefore, I don't even believe Sega knows what went wrong with these sticks... :( At the very least, this stick would make a cool collector's item!

SO YEAH...
the SF4 T.E. is the best out there right now, however, if you're not a tournament level pro, or well-off, you might be best off with a Hori Smile

Hmm, I'll have to check these out. Thanks for chiming in!
Edited by shion on 15. September 2010 22:21

NeoGeoNinja
1st Super Tobalman wrote:
This is just your opinion, of course. Smile

Hahahaa! Yeah man... without doubt! Wink

In general, selling defective hardware/software is simply inexcusable on the manufacturer's part (yet so many companies do so anyway, if you know what I mean LOL)

Absolutely! I know exactly what you mean - and it's shocking that the developers/manufactureres think that it's ok to just throw ENDLESS amount of money at the known issues and extend warranties (and the such) to try and mask the problem! Actually shocking!! And... AND... people still buy them!!! Shock

At the very least, this stick would make a cool collector's item!

Totally, plus it'd look cool in a collectors cabinet, as it looks really nifty...

Hmm, I'll have to check these out. Thanks for chiming in!

Hey, you're welcome! I err... didn't mention this earlier on but, I forgot to mention THIS specific Arcade Stick - pretty much designed to actually perfectly emulate a Vewlix Cabinet Arcade Stick...

http://www.play-a...-3py1.html
Very nice indeed! Yummy

Ninja

RiKo
Tobalman wrote :- the SF4 T.E. is the best out there right now, however, if you're not a tournament level pro, or well-off, you might be best off with a Hori Smile

I have a Hori EX 2 for my 360. its great the only things i dont like so much is the stick which i understand is how the Japanese generally like their sticks, so it has more travel than i would like. also i think i would like less travel on the buttons. that's just me though. my ideal stick is the Neo Geo stick. i love that. shame its not on 460 and it only has 4 buttons. i love the way the butons and stick register so fast with only small movements Smile
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
shion
I agree with you, Riko, I believe the N-G Stick, in all its forms, is the ultimate stick for home use. I believe there is a free, unofficial patch you can use on your Xbox to make it recognize PS3 controllers, I'm not 100% sure though...

Speaking of the original Virtua Stick for the Saturn, Ninja, I just found out Sega also released the Virtua Stick for the PS2. I don't believe this has ever been mention on this site before. What this means is, with a converter, the stick can be used to play games on the computer. Smile It's a great alternative to the stuff already mentioned.

Also, has anybody dealt with the X-Arcade sticks? They look so accurate to a typical arcade setup, yet I've never met anyone online (or offline) who owns one. Hmm.

NeoGeoNinja
Speaking of the original Virtua Stick for the Saturn, Ninja, I just found out Sega also released the Virtua Stick for the PS2. I don't believe this has ever been mention on this site before. What this means is, with a converter, the stick can be used to play games on the computer. Smile It's a great alternative to the stuff already mentioned...

YEAH...
I think it was mentioned quite a while back now! Hell, I remember some randomer just coming onto NGFL to offload one months ago!

I do actually want the official PS2 Virtua Stick, simply because it looks amazing! I would also like to get one for the Saturn too in the future, again, for my collection (as I can't use sticks to SAVE my life!). Have you ever seen the UK/US Virtua Stick equivalent? It's a f*ckin' joke!!
www.gaminggenerations.com/store/images/satrun_fightstick_front.jpg
It's okay, you're allowed to say it if you want... "What the fuck is that??!!"

Here's the PS2 Virtua Stick (for anyone wondering?)
www.gisoku-budo.com/wp-content/gallery/tragic-stuff/vstick.jpg

ALSO...
and I know this is subject we have discussed before, but, did you know about any of this??
http://www.play-a...-3ynq.html
If not, thought you may like to know about it... Wink

Ninja

Zakatek
Aren't HORI Real Arcade PRO.3 Premium VLX's buttons too close? Hmm

image1.play-asia.com/640/9n/pa.173593.3.jpg

I have a Hrap3 SA (for ps3 and pc) which i've slightly modded. It is really great. All sanwa parts and very responsive. Excellent for high score challenges. Headbang

img837.imageshack.us/img837/9239/hori.jpg
Edited by Zakatek on 24. September 2010 17:27

shion
It's okay, you're allowed to say it if you want... "What the fuck is that??!!"

Oh yeah! I remember seeing those back in the day. It definitely turned me off from sticks back then. To be fair, though, virtually all sticks of the early/mid 90s were Mickey Mouse toys. The designs back then put lots of people off from stick for many years. I'm glad to see a stick revival over the past few years. Street Fighter IV is said to have fueled the demand for sticks today. Go figure.

I didn't hear about that Virtual-On controller!! Sweet, dude. Smile

Bullet
Before I get started here, just let me say that you guys are jerks, leave the 360 alone!!! lol
With that out of the way...

I myself wanted that VF stick, but it was a bit too pricey for me and I had a stick or 2 at the time so I didn't bother, but if you could get a good deal on it and use it as a base it'd prolly be great start for a custom stick.

As a man who loves a good stick, nudge nudge wink wink, say no more, say no more. . . Wait... What? No I mean arcade stick. I'd say that the Madcatz TE or the Hori Real Arcade Pro are both great sticks, but with one problem. If you buy either they are great out of the box sticks... If and this is the big IF you are just playing casually and don't want the best control possible they are fine out of the box high end solutions. Now I only say this because the difference between a hori and madcatz sticks are for the most part small layout/design choices. So one may appeal because the Madcatz for example has the start and select buttons on the front of the stick so you don't hit them by accident etc, but where the most important part comes into play and that neither stick has out of the box is the gate, you really want one of these http://www.lizard...p_242.html They are easy to install and make your stick a thousand times better.

I recently started playing SSF4 on ps3 and went to pull out my ps3 version of the Madcats TE stick, which unlike my 360 TE stick doesn't have a Octa Gate and the difference was immediate and frustratingly loose compared to my 360 stick. All of my sticks have Sanwa sticks and buttons , either from the factory or installed by me and I'd say the most important part after buying the stick is getting that Octa Gate.

Here is the traditional "square" gate in the Hori or Madcatz sanwa sticks that you'd get in an unmodified stick.
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/DSC03069.jpg

What's a pimp without his pimp sticks? These are my weapons lol the 360 TE stick is heavily modified compared to the stock ps3 TE stick. I even removed and replaced the sides as you can see.
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/DSC05237.jpg

Oh and Ninja please!!!
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

NeoGeoNinja
OH BULLET!...
you're a big old brag!! Any opportunity... ANY... and you'll be there to show off your big ol' collection of WMD's Shrug Pfft

Seriously though, you pretty much echoed my initial response to this thread: Hori or T.E.
As for all this 'Octo Gate' and 'Square Gate' business?? Hahaha... we're not all tournamnent pro's like you Mr Bullet sir! Cool

Bullet wrote:
Before I get started here, just let me say that you guys are jerks, leave the 360 alone!!! lol
With that out of the way...

360's A BIG PIECE O TRASH...
and to be honest, the PS3 ain't all that far behind it. My PS3 'died' around 2-3 months ago, and I'm damned if I can be bothered spending 150 to repair something which I DIDN'T break!! ONCE... I may pay just the once BUT next time - I'm out...

Bullet wrote:
Oh and Ninja please!!!

PLEASE?...
Please what? I don't... I don't geddit! I'm totally confused... Hmm

Ninja

NeoGeoNinja
ZAKATEK!!!
great to see you throwing the odd post out here and there buddy! Thumbs Up

Zakatek wrote:
Aren't HORI Real Arcade PRO.3 Premium VLX's buttons too close? Hmm

NOW YOU MENTION IT...
Yeah. Maybe they are? Well spotted...

Zakatek wrote:
I have a Hrap3 SA (for ps3 and pc) which i've slightly modded. It is really great. All sanwa parts and very responsive. Excellent for high score challenges. Headbang

HAVE TO SAY...
it looks really nice that Zakatek. I like that specific stick (The Hori SA series) and it looks great in White - my favourite colour! In particular, I like your decision to 'cap' the buttons (L2 & R2 I presume) as I too find the whole 8-button set-up a pain on sticks! Too many times I have lost my 'handing' on a n 8-button set-up. That's why I like the Dreamcast stick so much...

Shame this particular model (SA3) was never released for PS2... :(

Ninja

Zakatek
It is really annoying to press L2 & R2 accidently so i capped them. Also i tried the octa gate but didn't like it. It makes throw of the corners bigger so i sometimes can't register some moves. Maybe it is just me but i feel play better with square gate.

Jump to Forum: