Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: NeoGeoNinja
Thread ID: 2844
Thread Info
There are 20 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 11217 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
FAST STRIKER - FOR DREAMCAST ^_^
NeoGeoNinja
OH YES...
It finally happened. That seemingly unattainable beast of a game for MVS has finally been give the go-ahead for DC. And I'm very happy that I'll finally get to try this game out, at a realistic price point no less Wink

Here's the link kids: http://www.ngdevd...

Now feed my prettys... FEED! Yummy

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Atomduck
This is good news indeed! If its for a decent price I'll try to get it! Thanks for the link.

merlin
Great news! I didn't really expect a home version so soon they must have realised there was a big demand for one. They did previously talk about doing a port sometime next year so that's great that it's going to be available Winter 2010 and for a very reasonable price too. Thanks for letting us know about this Ninja.Thumbs Up

STE C
F*cking get in , I shall have that for sure a NG on the DC long live both classic consoles.

RiKo
That is good news! They must have been working on it alongside the Neo version, but were keeping quiet to maximise sales. i got the impression there might be one at some time in the future from reading between the lines.

its cheaper than Border Down! Grin

i still wish my MVS one worked on my AES. i like my CMVS but i would rather just have one console. the only other game i play on CMVS is Metal Slug X
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
NeoGeoNinja
IT HAS FINALLY ARRIVED...
Indeed, both copies arrived at my residence this morning! I will give the game a go later on. Rather looking forward to it... not looking forward to going in the COLD gamesroom though! I've been all toasty warm in the living room SINCE the beginning of December, and don't particularly relish the thought of delving into my ice cold gaming cave! Shock

Still, needs must...

Ninja

RiKo
nice Ninja Thumbs Up, i really like that game. i think its up there with the best shooters on the Neo. i will be interested to hear what you think of it. i havent played mine much recently because the sound level is really low and i am a bit anal about things like that, i am trying to get a volume control fitted to my CMVS to boost it. if i turn the TV volume up it goes all buzzy:(

STE C
Its 11am Fri morning and I really need my copy to come today, it would be the perfect way to enter 2011.

STE C
Grrr it never came god damm post I hate them I wanted to play it tonight it wont be here until next week now. How you finding it Ninja ( you lucky buggerGrin) I ordered Last Hope Pink Bullets for DC as well although thats coming from a different source.

NeoGeoNinja
THOUGHT I'D COME BY...
and tell you all about Fast Striker, as I've recently been playing the Dreamcast version.

I'll be honest, right here and now. The game is fantastic! There, I said it. I had alluded to having some doubts after playing the more 'European' shmups DUX and Last Hope, however, have NO doubts, Fast Striker is top notch.

Quite a lot stands out about this game, so I'll attempt to break it down into bits for y'all. However, the thing that stands out the MOST is that his game was designed and runs on the NEO•GEO. I constantly think of this whilst embracing the DC release. Quite seriously, this game is amazing for the Dreamcast, but for a console A WHOLE DECADE it's senior? It's pretty mindblowing stuff...

Firstly, the GFX. They're really nice. The ship is nicely done, nothing special mind, but is perfect for the game (last Hope's looked odd imo). The enemies are all realy well animated and are painfully fluid too - on par with NEO's more 'well-established' 3D-rendered 2D shmups. As for the bosses? yeah, they're as epic and imposing as you'd expect. Again, really on par with the likes of the Cave and Takumi's monsters, whilst retaining NGDEV's unmistakable style. The scrolling BKGD's are nice too, however (and there's not too many of those!) there are a couple of 'flat' scrolling BKGD's - most notably the final stage - that are pretty, well, disappointing. It doesn't detract at all from the game overall, but when everything else is polished so highly, it stands out.

Secondly, Music & SFX. I'll be honest, the SFX are a pretty standard fair here. Functional is the best word, but then, shmups have never been celebrated for the sound of their artillery or jet engines. In fact, I have actually found it to be annoying when the SFX are noticeable. I think, in one of the Sonic Wings, one of the planes has a high pitched laser ALL the time? really p*sses me off. Anyway, the explosions look and sound nice, and that's the most important aspect imo. The music is awesome! It has to be said. It fits the game perfectly. It's mainly (excuse my teenage regression) progressive trance music AND it works really well. It wasn't Rafael Dyll this time around, however, the OST is outstanding. Well, I'm into indy and alternative music personally, however, this OST get's no complaints from me. Great stuff. I am indeed curious though to hear it on an MVS, as the DC offers CD quality music. I wonder if it sounds different on the NEO? (OST or AST or the same?).

Perhaps lastly, Gameplay. Yeah, the gameplay is absolutely spot-on. It has to be said, they've totally nailed it this time AND upped their game in the process. It may be wrong to look 'ahead' so prematurely, but when a game like this comes out you can't help but wonder and anticipate what will be next!

The game (at least 1.5? RiKo could shed more light here perhaps) contains FOUR different gameplay modes - and they are all slightly different.

NOVICE is literally as stated. Its a good starting point and is literally a trainer for the main game. It's also one stage short and gives you the 'Konami' try next level msg upon completion. It's fun, but you won't be going back to this mode once you've cracked. On the flip side, for PPL less 'shmup' inclined, this may be the most fun mode, as it's easy without being too easy, and simply offers a less intensive experience overall.

ORIGINAL is probably where it's at for the more 'average' shmupper - as not all PPL are into 'danmaku' shmups. It's a more traditional shmup experience and offers quite the challenge, I assure you. I can finish Novice in 1 LIFE, however, after 4hrs play, only managed to finish Original in 1CC. I'm petty happy with this, but I aim for a 1 LIFE finish soon if I were honest. Anyway, the gameplay differs slightly again here as the standard weapon set-up for the ship in original is different to Novice.

MANIAC is more akin to the likes of the DDP series. It has to be said. Many will try to side-step this, but it's unavoidable. The weapons and scoring system in Maniac include a chain system and a Grind Beam to maximise your chain potential. Sound familiar? Unlike DDP though, if your chain breaks, the chain counts down giving you a chance to pick it back up if your quick enough (more like MHSama). This is a REAL challenge for the shmupper. I'm going to take this more seriously upon nailing Original.

OMAKE mode is apparently NEW to 1.5 (RiKo?) and I'm VERY glad it was included in the DC release. This is 'it', literally, Bullet Hell mode! Maniac is pretty intense, but Omake is a new level again! This is my favourite mode personally, but I'm a sucker for shmups that offer an overwhelming possibility of NOT surviving. I find them more exhilarating! Yep, this version really sets the adrenaline alive and offers (most probably) the most replayability of all. Fans of Cave and Takumi's untamed shmups will love this!

As I have said somewhere above, I have only spent 4 hours with this so far, but it's pretty immediately clear when you play it that the game is VERY good. It's as close as the DC or NEO is ever going to get to DPP for their respective platforms. I'd like to hear more from RiKo about this game actually. He's not said all that much since getting it? I think the CMVS sound issues have somewhat dampened the poor chaps enjoyment. And understandably so I guess? And RiKo? I hate to say this, but did you know that the later release of Fast Striker (1.5) for MVS supports converters for the AES? Is it worth considering?? At least look into it if your interested.

AND...
don't know if I said this before, but if you don't own this game, you should buy it! Even if you don't own a DC, the game IS multi-regional and can be played on any console. The cost of the console AND the game is still massively less than an MVS copy (like, €550 less!).

Ninja

LIFE_IN_2D
^ Geez Ninja man. There is one good thing about your OCD, you really know how to break a game down and scrutinize it... microscopically. After reading your review I am REALLY tempted to bite the bullet buy a DC and Fast Striker. I've always wanted a DC anyways, but Fast Striker is just another reason to get one.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

RiKo
Hi Ninja, im glad you are enjoying it, it is a very good shooter. i wrote my first impressions in this thread http://www.neogeo...post_42162

i thought i did a mini review too at a later date where i said some good things about it, but i cant find that. i didnt want to sound too enthusiatic in case i didnt like it at a later date, but yes for me its on-par with the best shooters on the neo geo. the combo system on fast striker really reminds me of geometry wars 2.

what i like about the game is its dynamism, and that you feel like you are responding to the enemy threat on the fly a lot of the time rather than learning patterns or playing from memory, it makes you feel good when you play it. the control is great and there's a good level of challenge too.

my favourite mode is Original mode, mainly because i prefer that style of play to the grind beam mode. though that is a good mode too. i dont like novice mode much so i avoided that - it's def too easy. (i am not even that great at shooters). well done on completing it on one credit! Thumbs Up. i just play on one credit most of the time and i have yet to complete it.

yes theres no Omake mode in the one i have just the first 3 modes. damm i really want version 1.5 now, that woudl suit me cos i could sell my CMVS too, althogh i do need that to play Metal Slug X...so not sure yet.

i have been kind of waiting until i get my sound problems fixed until i played it much because like you - i like the music and i wanted to get the full experience. the guy from NeoTeam did say it was quiter than other games, so maybe 1.5 has been improved volume wise. my CMVS is a little quieter than my AES for all games which doesnt help.

i know its unlikely but i really want Neoteam to do a platform game next, but yes it will prob be some kind of shooter, though run + gun is a possibility.
Edited by RiKo on 02. January 2011 22:22

STE C
My copy came today and after a brief play I can confirm that Ninja's praise is indeed just. I wont go on to much as Ninja has nailed its + points spot on but I advise any DC owners or non DC owners who want a new NG game at a reasonable price to take the plunge. For instance you can buy Fast Striker for about 30 euros ( not sure on the exchange rate for $ ect) but a DC off ebay should set you about £20 so its probably easy enough to get the pair for about £50 which aint bad to be honest.

To buy a new NG or DC game in 2011 is bloody fantastic , I really have high hopes for what the Hellwigs can achieve in the future, hopefully Microsoft or Sony wont corrupt them with big bucks to make down loadable games and end future hopes of DC/NG development.
Edited by STE C on 05. January 2011 20:33

NeoGeoNinja
STE C wrote:
My copy came today and after a brief play I can confirm that Ninja's praise is indeed just. I wont go on to much as Ninja has nailed its + points spot on...

I'M GLAD YOU LIKE IT STE...
It's the dogs b*llocks, isn't it? It really is.

I've been playing it DAILY without relent. I can't get enough of it! Like you said, the Hellwigs have well and truly made a great game here... a game that is quality and would NOT have been out of place as a classic NEO•GEO game had it been released more than a decade ago.

I'm trying to master Original Mode right now, because I've realised, contrary to what I said earlier, I CAN'T quite complete Original in 1CC... very nearly though! I can reach the 2nd Boss of the final stage, but can't survive to make it a 1CC finish :( Nearly though. It's quite a challenging game, thank God! Truth be told, I would say that this game is the NEO•GEO's first proper 'shmup'.

IT MUST BE SAID...
that I'm pretty shocked at the apparent lack of serious interest in this game outside of the 'usuals' (Me, STE, RiKo & Merlin!). Only 2D has shown a possible interest. Seriously though, this game is great. I can't believe how underwhelming a response I've had to spilling the beans on Fast Striker, here on NGFL... Shrug

Ninja

merlin
Thanks for going into so much detail about the game Ninja and after reading that and also what RiKo and Ste had to say about the game I'm as keen as ever to play this. Does sound like a great shooter. I noticed at the shmup forums it has also been well received. Only problem for me is I don't have a DC and have no plans to get one. As unlikely as this might sound I'm hoping to find Fast Striker in an arcade later this year. By the way your review didn't go unnoticed Ninja.

http://twitter.co...

NeoGeoNinja wrote:
IT MUST BE SAID...
that I'm pretty shocked at the apparent lack of serious interest in this game outside of the 'usuals' (Me, STE, RiKo & Merlin!). Only 2D has shown a possible interest. Seriously though, this game is great. I can't believe how underwhelming a response I've had to spilling the beans on Fast Striker, here on NGFL... Shrug
Ninja

I feel the same way about Visco's Bang Bang Busters to be honest. Seems like not many here share my excitement about this game finally being released.

Bullet
I'll be honest, I'm quite interested in the game, but to be even more honest, if I have a list of great games to buy and one of them is a shooter, sadly its on the bottom of that list. I know, I know I'm a bad person lol, but typically with shooters they are fairly short. Usually in the half hour to 45 min range. So once you've "mastered" them they don't tend to give me the want to go back to them like a fighting game. The last shooters I bought were KOF Sky Stage, Guwange on xbla and the 2 Soldner X games on psn.

I think the game looks good for sure, just don't know when I'll get around to it, which also tempers my excitement for it.

Good review tho Ninja XOXO!!!
Edited by Bullet on 07. January 2011 20:39
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

RiKo
dont forget Fast Striker is a new Neo Geo game (in the year 2011!) so its extra special to us Neo dudes.

i do agree that i think most people on this board wont get an opportunity to play it on a Neo Geo. i know what im like, even thogh i have a DC and Last Hope i am still holding out to get a Neo Copy before i give it some proper time. i think a lot of people are like me. They want the Neo version or none at all.

however if you dont mind playing it on a Dreamcast then it's pretty cheap to get a 2nd hand dreamcast and like ninja says you get the 1.5 version with new Omake mode. and also there's loads of other awesome shooters you can play on Dreamcast like Mars Matrix , Chaos Field, Gigawing (1+2), Under Defeat, Ikaruga and Bangai-O (an acquired taste) Psyviar 2, Border Down, Twinkle Star Sprites (improved no slowdown version)

well done Ninja for getting mentioned on NeoDevTeams feed! Thumbs Up

STE C
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
[quote]

IT MUST BE SAID...

Ninja

DO YOU WANT TO PLAY AND OWN A NEW NEO GEO GAME. y/n

DO YOU WANT TO OWN ONE OF THE BEST SHOOTERS FOR THE NG y/n

DO YOU WANT TO PAY LESS THAN £60 OR $100 FOR THE PRIVILEGE, OR CHEAPER IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A DC. y/n

THEN ITS EASY BUY FAST STRIKER AND A DREAMCAST FOR THE ABOVE PRICE OR LESS AND YOU TO CAN ENJOY A QUALITY SHOOTER THAT I AM CERTAIN YOU WILL LOVE. AS NINJA SAID THIS IS THE REAL DEAL. THIS LOOKS AND PLAYS LIKE A MODERN CAVE SHOOTER IT IS NOT OF AMATEUR HOMEBREW QUALITY IT IS CLASS.

sorry about the block capitals but I feel Ninja's minor frustration about this game not getting the support it really deserves from the NG community, come on its a new NG game in 2011 so what if its on the Dreamcast you should all have one anyway.

hats off to Riko for actually buying the MVS copy its people like him that allow development for our beloved NG/DC to continue.

Kurisu
My Fast Striker came with an MVS flyer thanks to Lee over at VGI. It is one of the best shooters of all time and is a whopping 1560 Meg!! Also, if you go for the limited 1.5 version, you also get one of the best music soundtracks of all time. Forget games, think Ministry of Sound, think Faithless. Play it through headphones and you won't believe the bass...Pure joy. A NG/DC classic in 2011. I love it
Go forward for make away as joystick. Push A button for approach of enemy. Break of enemy for A and B. Make high score for break get together - Neo Mr Do!

STE C
Kurisu wrote:
My Fast Striker came with an MVS flyer thanks to Lee over at VGI. It is one of the best shooters of all time and is a whopping 1560 Meg!! Also, if you go for the limited 1.5 version, you also get one of the best music soundtracks of all time. Forget games, think Ministry of Sound, think Faithless. Play it through headphones and you won't believe the bass...Pure joy. A NG/DC classic in 2011. I love it

Now this man has taste, wow Kurisi you think its one of the best shooters ever thats a pretty bold statement but I am glad you are enjoying it, after all thats the purpose of it and it serves that purpose well.

Jump to Forum: