Helicopter
Neo Beast
is the new champion in
3D Stick FPS with 79375 points
3D Stick FPS

Thread Author: The eccentric cat
Thread ID: 2811
Thread Info
There are 27 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 6697 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Ninja Combat: Yay or nay?
Yay of course! A great beat em up! Yay of course! A great beat em up! 7%[1 Vote]
Pretty good, but nothing we haven't seen before Pretty good, but nothing we haven't seen before 27%[4 Votes]
Mediocre, its really nothing to write home about Mediocre, its really nothing to write home about 40%[6 Votes]
Nay, bad, not good at all Nay, bad, not good at all 27%[4 Votes]
Total Votes : 15
 Print Thread
Ninja Combat discussion
The eccentric cat
Hello, and welcome to Game of the Week!

Ninja Combat is a rather generic sidescrolling beat em up. There's not much to say about this really.. its a rather mediocre game for the NeoGeo.

Come join the discussion thread instead!

Ninja Combat

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_162/ninjacombatposter_t2.jpg

Genre: Beat 'em Up
Players: 2
Size: 46 megs
Released on: AES, MVS, Neo CD

Brief Description:

Ninja Combat is a 1991 side-scrolling action game, developed by Alpha Denshi and published by SNK. It was one of the launch titles for both the Neo Geo MVS and AES systems. Among action side-scrolling games, it is legendary for its high level of difficulty. The journey takes the ninja heroes from an amusement park to the top of Ninja Tower. Along the way, they must survive endless attacks from the members of Kage Ichizoku and their minions. Several of the bosses (who are testing the player or are deceived by the enemy): Musashi, Kagerow and Gembu, when defeated, become allies and fight alongside Joe and Hayabusa as playable characters.

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_87/ncombattitle.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_87/ncombatintro.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_87/ncombatselect.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_87/ncombatshot1.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_87/ncombatshot2.jpg

Reviews:

Ninja Combat review by Kazuya_UK

Videos:

YouTube Video

Highscore Challenge:

http://www.neogeo...ad_id=2808

Good luck!

Past GOTW Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->

#2 Nam 1975 -->

#3 Pulstar -->

#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->

#5 Blues Journey -->

#6 Fatal Fury -->

#7 Shock Troopers -->

#8 Sengoku -->

#9 Ninja Commando -->

#10 Ninja Master's -->

#11 Crystalis -->

#12 Thrash Rally -->

#13 Art of Fighting -->

#14 Waku Waku 7 -->

#15 Andro Dunos -->

#16 KOF '94 -->

#17 Nightmare on the Dark -->

#17 Twinkle Star Sprites -->

#18 Zupapa -->

#19 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->

#20 The Last Blade -->

#21 Crossed Swords -->

#22 Cyber Lip -->

#23 Samurai Shodown -->

#24 King of the Monsters -->

#25 The King of Fighters '95 -->

#26 Fatal Fury 2 -->

#27 Aero Fighters 2 -->

#28 Neo Bomberman -->

#29 Metal Slug -->

#30 Kabuki Klash -->

#31 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->

#32 Mutation Nation -->

#33 Blazing Star -->

#34 World Heroes -->

#35 King of Fighters '96 -->

#36 Neo Drift Out -->

#37 Magical Drop 2 -->

#38 Top Hunter -->

#39 Savage Reign -->

#40 Metal Slug 2/X -->

#41 Alpha Mission 2 -->

#42 Aggresors of Dark Kombat -->

#43 Art of Fighting 2 -->

#44 Super Sidekicks -->

#45 Sengoku 2 -->

#46 Metal Slug 3 -->

#47 Burning Fight -->

#48 Money Puzzle Exchanger -->

#49 Panic Bomber: Bomberman -->

#50 King of Monsters 2 -->

#51 Samurai Shodown 2 -->

#52 World Heroes 2 -->

#53 Last Resort -->

#54 Rage of the Dragons -->

#55 Leauge Bowling

#56 Metal Slug 4 -->

#57 Legend of Sucess Joe -->

#58 Puzzle Bobble -->

#59 Pochi and Nyaa -->

#60 Robo Army -->

#61 Captain Tomaday -->

#62 Metal Slug 5 -->

#63 King of Fighters '97 -->

#64 Athena/Psycho Soldier -->

#65 The Super Spy -->

#66 Strikers 1945 Plus -->

#67 Ghost Pilots -->

#68 Iron Tank -->

#69 Magical Drop 3-->

#70 Fatal Fury 3 -->

#71 Art of Fighting 3 -->

#72 Viewpoint -->

#73 Sonic Pocket Adventure -->

#74 Prehistoric Isle in 1930s -->

#75 Beast Busters -->

#76 Shock Troopers 2 -->

#77 Real Bout Fatal Fury -->
Edited by The eccentric cat on 30. August 2010 23:59
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

merlin
ADK have produced so many excellent games for the Neo Geo but unfortunately this game an exception to that. I think Ninja Combat is terrible. The game features some quite ugly looking sprites and very uninspiring dull frustrating gameplay. The only positive thing I can say is that it does have some comedy value because of the very funny speech and text between stages so it's worth playing all the way through once just for that. One of my least favourite Neo Geo games.
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

NeoStrayCat
I agree, the ridiculous difficulty, cheesy dialogue, and graphics/gameplay does make it mediocre.
card.exophase.com/1/712966.png

http://www.youtube.com/user/NeoStrayCat
Murikov
Ok... First of all Ninja Combat is a game that really doesn't motivate me to complete it a second time. Why?

The character design is almost scary and the other chars beside the two ninjas are just boring (ok, the ninjas are boring too). One of the most memorable part of the game was the last boss; I remember how long I took to beat that ugly son of a b****.

I mean it just makes the game a shameless and hungry coin eater that really isn't able to compete with other titles of the same era (and especially not on the Neo Geo).

The good things that Ninja Combat offers are a bit of fun at the beginning and, as you guys already wrote, the funny dialogs of the heroes. Ok, maybe these were not so good too. Shrug

And at last an unimportant thought. I think Sengoku 3 should have been released as Ninja Combat 2 because the title would match a bit more with the characters and setting. But the developers surely were aware that Ninja Combat wasn't the best game back in time and so they definitely weren't thinking about name it that...
Edited by Murikov on 17. August 2010 18:54
i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/SNK%20stuff/SNK_zps13025fff.gif

LIFE_IN_2D
I've never played this. This game looks so bad that I HAVE to play it. Hearing about cheesey dialog and bad characters makes me want to play it more.

Most likely, this game would be extremely horrible and tedious to play alone, so if anybody wants to go 2P on Kaillera , please PM me!
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 17. August 2010 18:20
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

STE C
Despite its age and reputation I often have a quick blast of this on NGCD. It belongs to a time when these side scrollers were popular in the arcades and perhaps belongs in 1990 whennit was released.

I think its a charming little game that despite not aging as well as Sengoku 2 or Robo Army I actually prefer this over Burning Fight & Sengoku. I would say pick it up if you see it on the cheap ( really cheap). Its old but still playable and not as bad as people make out.

AngelaAsakura
I only played the first stage on this. It doesn't seem too bad. I agree that it's tedious to play solo, as are all "beat 'em up" games IMO. It's probably something that I wouldn't want to go through too often, though.
farm6.staticflickr.com/5160/7182649455_b7024d0591.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/AngelaAsakura/
NeoGeoNinja
STE C wrote:
Despite its age and reputation I often have a quick blast of this on NGCD. It belongs to a time when these side scrollers were popular in the arcades and perhaps belongs in 1990 whennit was released.

I think its a charming little game that despite not aging as well as Sengoku 2 or Robo Army I actually prefer this over Burning Fight & Sengoku. I would say pick it up if you see it on the cheap ( really cheap). Its old but still playable and not as bad as people make out.

SO STE...
you would have been the SINGULAR vote of:
"Pretty good, but nothing we haven't seen before..." Pfft

SERIOUSLY THOUGH...
we rarely disagree on games (do we Ste?), however, this game is royal turd! I remember attempting a playthrough ONCE on my SNK Vol.1 for PS2 - and that has infinite credits! F*ck - I really couldn't be arsed! A horrible horrible game... one which I'm going to TRY again to either concrete or alter my opinion.

AAAND...
2D - don't do it! This game is definitely NOT in the so bad it's good category;
just the bad category Grin

MY ADVICE TO ALL:
Avoid. Avoid! AVOID! AVOID!! (etc)

Ninja
(p.s. and just for the record, they're are NO frikkin' ninjas in this game Roll Eyes )
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Basashi King
holy smokes! its ninja combat!

i played this on emulation about six months ago. it didnt take me long to realise that this game was utterly detestable. utter crap. i persisted in playing it, though, out of a sick curiosity to bust it, so that i would never have reason to boot up the rom again.

...but it won. it actually hurt, playing it. i was actually physically pained. it hurt so bad; i just wanted it all to stop.

finally, i gave up.

...and i never want to see it again!

Shock

Bullet
I've played this game a few times and have beat it with all the characters, lol
It's not a great game by any means and really screams Sega Genesis/MegaDrive in a lot of ways, which if you have played Ninja Combat and have yet to play a Genesis/MegaDive, I may have just turned you off for life lol. I'm sorry.

For all the great games on the Neo Geo hardware there really wasn't a standout side scrolling beat'em up for the machine. There were a few attempts, but nothing approaching the greatness that is Streets of Rage, Final Fight, River City Ransom, Violent Storm or Double Dragon. None of these game were on superior hardware, so its not like the Neo couldn't handle it. With that said I'd say Sengoku 3 would arguably be the best the Neo has to offer in this category.
Edited by Bullet on 18. August 2010 18:33
i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

Glowsquid

we rarely disagree on games (do we Ste?), however, this game is royal turd! I remember attempting a playthrough ONCE on my SNK Vol.1 for PS2 -

It isn't on that compilation - maybe you're confusing it with Sengoku.

On-topic: Everything has already been said. Horrible, horrible game.

None of these game were on superior hardware, so its not like the Neo couldn't handle it.

The arcade hardware Violent Storm ran on was certainly superior to the Neo. Just look at the insane effects in Metamorphic Force.
Edited by Glowsquid on 18. August 2010 19:27

STE C
This game is actually very hard to find on NGCD believe it or not . Ha ha all the negative mail is amusing it is not that bad or perhaps so bad its good, come on somebody apart from me must think its ok Shrug
Edited by STE C on 18. August 2010 18:38

NeoGeoNinja
Glowsquid wrote:

we rarely disagree on games (do we Ste?), however, this game is royal turd! I remember attempting a playthrough ONCE on my SNK Vol.1 for PS2 -

It isn't on that compilation - maybe you're confusing it with Sengoku.

On-topic: Everything has already been said. Horrible, horrible game.

YOU'RE RIGHT...
GlowSquid, it isn't. Unfortunately (now I realise!) it made itself known by being part of my ADK compilation instead! How dare it take up valuable disc space with the likes of Ninja Masters, Ninja Commando's, Gan Gan & TSSprites - How DARE it??! Angry

I'm gonna try and scratch it outta ma disc with a compass later... Shock

Ninja
(p.s. oddly, I quite like Sengoku! Pisses on NCombat, that's for sure Pfft )

LIFE_IN_2D
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Ninja
(p.s. oddly, I quite like Sengoku! Pisses on NCombat, that's for sure Pfft )

QFT.

BTW: I dunno why, but I actually prefer the first Sengoku over the second. Probably because the boss fight with Shiva is awesome. Also I think the hero (with the red jacket) is twice as awesome as either hero from 2. Not to mention the extremely creepy chanting, as Sengoku 2's chanting is not nearly as creepy. Although I can't deny that gameplay-wise, Sengoku 2 pisses on Sengoku 1's face.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

priest
...Yea, I can see that the Ninja combat HSC being REALLY popular after reading the majority of posts of this thread...

Shock
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s49/huwuno/userpriest.png

Used with the kind permission from their creator "Shiny"

http://www.motalaarkadhall.se/
Basashi King
quite a funny thread! and youre not alone ste - at the moment, according to the votes, its split 50 / 50 between folks who think its playable and those who dont want a piece of it!

NeoGeoNinja
STE C wrote:
This game is actually very hard to find on NGCD believe it or not . Ha ha all the negative mail is amusing it is not that bad or perhaps so bad its good, come on somebody apart from me must think its ok Shrug

KEEP ON SHRUGGIN'...
me old pal - ain't no-one gonna save ya now! Grin

In light of your Ninja Combat fanboyism, I (re)located a tidy desktop wallpaper, just for you!

Enjoy...

game.snkplaymore.co.jp/download/wp/adk/ninkon_1600.jpg

Ninja

STE C
NeoGeoNinja wrote:

In light of your Ninja Combat fanboyism, I (re)located a tidy desktop wallpaper, just for you!

Enjoy...

game.snkplaymore.co.jp/download/wp/adk/ninkon_1600.jpg

Ninja

Thank you very much Ninja I am flattered you have used your skills to make me a lovely desktop ( which I shall use for a little while). Can we not agree that Ninja Combat is a CULT game this thread is becoming rather amusing SOMEBODY please back me up and say that its not such a bad game. Grin

Murikov
STE C wrote:
Thank you very much Ninja I am flattered you have used your skills to make me a lovely desktop ( which I shall use for a little while). Can we not agree that Ninja Combat is a CULT game this thread is becoming rather amusing SOMEBODY please back me up and say that its not such a bad game. Grin

Actually that's an official wallpaper which can be found on the SNKP website... Grin

It crossed my mind too when I read this thread the first time. But why does SNKP even create a wallpaper dedicated to an ADK game which better needs to stay in the past?

And if I remember correctly, that artwork was also used for the ADK Anthology for PS2.
Edited by Murikov on 19. August 2010 19:06
i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x434/Murikov/SNK%20stuff/SNK_zps13025fff.gif

STE C
Go on you know its worth it

http://cgi.ebay.c...o_Games_JS

Jump to Forum: