Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: Widescreen
Thread ID: 280
Thread Info
There are 22 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 8667 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
Cursor hackers target WoW players
Widescreen
World of Warcraft players are being targeted by hackers exploiting flaws in how Windows handles animated cursors.
The flaw came to light in late March and lets attackers take over vulnerable PCs via booby-trapped websites.

Warcraft players seem to be one of the targets because accounts for the game are potentially worth significant sums of money.

Microsoft has issued a patch for the flaw early to combat the rising number of attacks.

Player power

Security firms tracking how criminal hackers are exploiting the cursor flaw suspect there are many websites hosting the code that can be used to take over vulnerable PCs.

Some of the sites have been specially created but others have been hacked to be unwitting hosts for the infection.

The potential for the flaw to do harm grew significantly with the discovery of a website that automatically generates all the attack files needed to turn a site into a booby-trap.

A large number of criminally-minded hacking gangs are cashing in on the flaw.

One Chinese group known to be using the animated cursor flaw scored some success in February when it managed to hack a Superbowl website and use it to host code for spyware.

Analysis of that malicious software showed that it lay dormant on a victims machine until they ran World of Warcraft (WoW) at which point it captured login data and sent it to the hacking group.
The group's enthusiastic use of the cursor flaw suggests it is trying to do the same again.

The online fantasy game now has more than eight million active players around the world.

Research by security firm Symantec suggests that the raw value of a WoW account is now higher than a credit card and its associated verification data.

One card can be sold for up to $6 (3) suggests Symantec, but a WoW account will be worth at least $10. An account that has several high level characters associated with it could be worth far more as the gold and rare items can be sold for real cash.

In a bid to head off the growing threat from the animated cursor flaw, Microsoft took the unusual step of releasing a patch for the bug on 3 April.

Usually Microsoft issues security patches on the second Tuesday of every month. The patch for the cursor flaw arrived a week early and Microsoft has been preparing it since December when the bug was first reported.

Windows users can get the patch via automatic updates or visit Microsoft to download it manually.

On its security blog, Microsoft said the patch was released early "to help better protect customers from this threat".

The software giant urged Windows users to download and install the patch.

It said there was a chance that attacks via the vulnerability would increase but had seen little evidence of widespread use yet.

http://forums.widescreenxp.net
Raiken
lol WoW LOL I remember my days playing Dark Forces II online and all the weirdass hacks people would use to cheat like rapid fire missiles that never stopped.
oi61.tinypic.com/ettchv.jpg

candycab
Im proud to say that I have never played "WoW" or looked at "My Space"

People who think its ok to pay $50.00 for software then pay a monthly fee to use it should probably be shot for supporting that type of business model :eh:
Edited by candycab on 06. April 2007 06:09
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

James Newell Osterberg, Jr

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Widescreen
candycab wrote:

People who think its ok to pay $50.00 for software then pay a monthly fee to use it should probably be shot for supporting that type of business model :eh:

the reason i posted this article here is because kaz is mortaly addicted to WOW .. LOL

Widescreen
oh yes i know Wink

Midian
I will never, ever buy a copy of WoW. Pfft

My friends are waaay too addicted to it.
img386.imageshack.us/img386/9493/ballinqq8.gif

Kazuya_UK
I have downloaded all the latest updates so I should be protected hopefully Smile

I blame Emo Fairy for getting me addicted to WoW, but I do love the game though Grin. Now I have to figure out what I want more - WoW or Xbox Live now that I have a 360! :sweat:

Kaz
gamercards.exophase.com/224299.png

http://www.neogeoforlife.com
candycab
Widescreen wrote:
candycab wrote:

the reason i posted this article here is because kaz is mortaly addicted to WOW .. LOL

Haha... I know I laugh everytime I speak to him thesedays [ not too often ] He mentions how it eats all his time up LOL

A couple of my neighbors are all consumed aswell. I just laugh when they tell me " Dude, you need to get it and play with us " Now they are trying to get all into the LOTR game on top of playing WoW. lol its like watching some goofball cult members try to function sometimes Grin
I spent most of the eighties, most of my life, riding around in somebody else's car, in possession of, or ingested of, something illegal, on my way from something illegal to something illegal with many illegal things happening all around me.

"Last screw is hidden under a warranty-voiding sticker. Darn, cant return this thing to the store - guess Ill just have to make a laptop out of it!"

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Raiken
The south park episode of WoW is something all players of that game should see LOL
oi61.tinypic.com/ettchv.jpg

candycab
Raiken wrote:
The south park episode of WoW is something all players of that game should see LOL

Thats definitly about the best South Park I have seen over the last few years. Grin

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

phry
That hacking sounds pretty bad, mainly because of the sheer volume of WoW players (I heard 8 million somewhere). I guess that If something gets so popular, then a hack is an unfortunate inevitability.

I've always been interested in playing WoW, as I've a few friends who play it. However, it's a game I'll most likely saty away from as it looks very time consuming and odds are, I'll never get round to playing enough of it to do the game justice. It's very impressive how they keep adding new content to always keep the game fresh and the sheer scale of the thing is impressive.

Thats definitly about the best South Park I have seen over the last few years.

"You can stay outside and play in the fresh air...or you can go inside and do somehting that matters!"
Awesome episode! Blizzard's involvment using the WoW game engine makes it all the funnier!

xplics
candycab wrote:

I am also a deep beleaver in not having to pay monthly for a GAME after buying it. WOW should be on a system like xbox live were you pay for all of your games to be played online with a community setting instead of just paying for that one game at one time. Maybe this new xbox live geared for vista will fix this for PC gamers out there.
As for the myspace thing sadly I tried it out before.
LONG LIVE SNK

Kazuya_UK
I do agree, Xbox Live is pretty good value for money when you think about it, but then again Blizzard make a lot of money out of WoW and people will keep paying it, so they are bound to keep milking it. I do enjoy the game and I do get my monies worth from it, so I don't mind too much.

Just to make a point by the way - I'm not actually on WoW that much recently so my not being around the site or even on the 'net much isn't due to being addicted! LOL

No.... honestly!!!! It really isn't! Grin

Kaz

Widescreen
*cough*bullshit*cough* Pfft
Edited by Widescreen on 10. April 2007 13:42

candycab
Widescreen wrote:
*cough*bullshit*cough* Pfft

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL :twisted:

Ben Heck on PS3 Slim

Kazuya_UK
Hey, if I was on WoW, I'd be on MSN more seeing as I play it windowed a lot of the time! Pfft Pfft Pfft

Kaz

Vickz
haha someone I know got hacked last week. They stole all his gold and items in his inventory.

Shiny
Just found out my sister's addicted to WoW... It's like seeing a toetag on her cold dead corpse.

Crag
Vickz wrote:
haha someone I know got hacked last week. They stole all his gold and items in his inventory.

Was it adam????

I have never played WoW and maybe never will I saw the change in Kaz when he started playing it ...... now hes a changed man ..... forever........... Shock
img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/craghimself/he-called-his-wife-a-bitch-get-it.png

Vickz
Crag wrote:
Vickz wrote:

Was it adam????

I have never played WoW and maybe never will I saw the change in Kaz when he started playing it ...... now hes a changed man ..... forever........... Shock

Nah was his brother Lee, haha made me laugh when I found out. I personally would not play this game either as I see the changes in those around me. It's taking away there social lifes, it's disgusting.

Jump to Forum: