3D Stick FPS
boogiepop
is the new champion in
Pacman with 124330 points
Pacman

Thread Author: The eccentric cat
Thread ID: 2796
Thread Info
There are 11 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 5901 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
Real Bout Fatal Fury: Good game to play?
Yeah! Its great! One of the best in the series! Yeah! Its great! One of the best in the series! 55%[6 Votes]
Its very good! If only outdone by its sequels Its very good! If only outdone by its sequels 36%[4 Votes]
Its mediocre, nothing really special about it.. Its mediocre, nothing really special about it.. 9%[1 Vote]
Bleh, forgettable Bleh, forgettable 0%[0 Votes]
Total Votes : 11
 Print Thread
Real Bout Fatal Fury discussion
The eccentric cat
Hello, and welcome to Game of the Week!

The sequel to Fatal Fury 3, Real Bout Fatal Fury is the first in the Real Bout series, which are the most popular games in the Fatal Fury series.

The gameplay has gotten updates now, there are now only three attack buttons (A punches, B Kicks, C is a Power attack, and D switches plane), and there are now Ring Outs, its not a really bad change, and you should get used to it quickly if you're a familiar with FF. ^^

All characters from Fatal Fury 3 return, including bosses. Its a great game, if you're a fan of Real Bout, and you should find something to like here. ^^

Real Bout: Fatal Fury

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_162/rbff-front_t2.jpg

Genre: Fighting
Players: 2
Size: 346 megs
Released on: AES, MVS, Neo CD, Playstation, Sega Saturn, Playstation 2 (Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol. 2)

Brief Description:

Real Bout Fatal Fury is a 1995 fighting game released by SNK for the Neo-Geo arcade and home platforms. It is the fifth installment in the Fatal Fury series, following Fatal Fury 3: Road to the Final Victory. Real Bout changes the play controls from the previous Fatal Fury games, reducing the number of attack buttons from four to three: a standard Punch and Kick button, a "Strong Attack" button which can be either, a stronger punch or kick attack, depending on the character. Real Bout introduces a Power Gauge which fills up as player performs normal or special techniques against their opponent or defend themselves, similar to many super move gauges featured in other fighting games.

Screenshots:

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_107/rbff1title.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_107/rbff1intro.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_107/rbff1intro2.jpg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_107/rbff1select.jpeg

www.neogeoforlife.com/images/photoalbum/album_107/rbff1shot.jpeg

Reviews:

Real Bout Fatal Fury review by Kazuya_UK

Videos:

YouTube Video

Highscore Challenge:

http://www.neogeo...post_41782
Good luck!

Past GOTW Discussions:

#1 Magician Lord -->

#2 Nam 1975 -->

#3 Pulstar -->

#4 Baseball Stars Professional -->

#5 Blues Journey -->

#6 Fatal Fury -->

#7 Shock Troopers -->

#8 Sengoku -->

#9 Ninja Commando -->

#10 Ninja Master's -->

#11 Crystalis -->

#12 Thrash Rally -->

#13 Art of Fighting -->

#14 Waku Waku 7 -->

#15 Andro Dunos -->

#16 KOF '94 -->

#17 Nightmare on the Dark -->

#17 Twinkle Star Sprites -->

#18 Zupapa -->

#19 SNK Vs Capcom: Match of the Millennium -->

#20 The Last Blade -->

#21 Crossed Swords -->

#22 Cyber Lip -->

#23 Samurai Shodown -->

#24 King of the Monsters -->

#25 The King of Fighters '95 -->

#26 Fatal Fury 2 -->

#27 Aero Fighters 2 -->

#28 Neo Bomberman -->

#29 Metal Slug -->

#30 Kabuki Klash -->

#31 Breakers/Breakers Revenge -->

#32 Mutation Nation -->

#33 Blazing Star -->

#34 World Heroes -->

#35 King of Fighters '96 -->

#36 Neo Drift Out -->

#37 Magical Drop 2 -->

#38 Top Hunter -->

#39 Savage Reign -->

#40 Metal Slug 2/X -->

#41 Alpha Mission 2 -->

#42 Aggresors of Dark Kombat -->

#43 Art of Fighting 2 -->

#44 Super Sidekicks -->

#45 Sengoku 2 -->

#46 Metal Slug 3 -->

#47 Burning Fight -->

#48 Money Puzzle Exchanger -->

#49 Panic Bomber: Bomberman -->

#50 King of Monsters 2 -->

#51 Samurai Shodown 2 -->

#52 World Heroes 2 -->

#53 Last Resort -->

#54 Rage of the Dragons -->

#55 Leauge Bowling

#56 Metal Slug 4 -->

#57 Legend of Sucess Joe -->

#58 Puzzle Bobble -->

#59 Pochi and Nyaa -->

#60 Robo Army -->

#61 Captain Tomaday -->

#62 Metal Slug 5 -->

#63 King of Fighters '97 -->

#64 Athena/Psycho Soldier -->

#65 The Super Spy -->

#66 Strikers 1945 Plus -->

#67 Ghost Pilots -->

#68 Iron Tank -->

#69 Magical Drop 3-->

#70 Fatal Fury 3 -->

#71 Art of Fighting 3 -->

#72 Viewpoint -->

#73 Sonic Pocket Adventure -->

#74 Prehistoric Isle in 1930s -->

#75 Beast Busters -->

#76 Shock Troopers 2 -->
Edited by The eccentric cat on 17. August 2010 01:21
Without love, the truth cannot be seen.

LIFE_IN_2D
A very, very, very, very, very good step in the right direction for the Fatal Fury series. They just got better and better after this release. This game is awesome even by today's standard. A classic, IMO.

BTW: Angela, you still owe me some online bouts on this game!Andy Since you wounded my already weak sense of pride last time we played...Real Sad:$
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 10. August 2010 04:22
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Will
As new as the game is, it seems basically like a remake of "Fatal Fury 3 - Road to the Final Victory", because it uses the same characters plus a few extra and it uses the same music tracks. You do get to see Sokaku's face this time. However the new stages look very colourful and atmospheric. Also the new fighting feature by defeating your opponent other than draining his/her vitality is to push the opponent 'Out of Bounds'. It's particularly funny when I push my opponent into the cargo ship in the Southtown Dockyard stage. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a plotline by the end of the game, just another confrontation with Geese Howard.

This game, I cannot say if it is better than Fatal Fury 3 or vice versa, but its getting its due presentation this week.

STE C
Hey this is Ninjas baby he loves this game. I have always been a bit puzzled as to why this and FF3 came out in the same year, although both games are worth owning if you are a FF puritan. I have always slightly preferred FF3 over this and both its sequels offer a lot more for your money.

If you were looking to buy just one RB game for your collection ( although I think its worth owning both the sequels) then I would say go for either of its siblings as they are simply much better games. Still I'm taking nothing away from it, great game and very cheap on NGCD under 8 easily.

merlin
Excellent fighting game and although I really like Fatal Fury 3 this is a significant upgrade. Gameplay does overall have a better feel to it than in the previous installment and it's all round a more polished effort. The ring outs are a nice idea although can sometimes be a bit frustrating especially when the barrier has been broken in a previous round and you get knocked out with most of your lifebar intact.

It's a very good looking game and the graphical style is less 'cartoony' than the other Real Bouts which is something I prefer. One thing that does hurt this game a bit is that there are so few backgrounds - only 5 if I remember correctly. They do look very good but they should really have included a few more to give a bit more variety. All in all a great fighting game though and essential for any Neo Geo owner.
i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss13/merlin196/Video%20Games/perseval-6.gif

Bullet
Not to say that the previous Fatal Fury games were bad, they were not, but for me, this is where the series came into its own. I mean outside of FF proper, in the KOF games the Fatal Fury cast had shown up and developed quite well, but in their own series it was a bit stiff control wise and the water was becoming a bit stagnant to be honest until the Real Bout games. Fatal Fury 3 was a good game, but Real bout made me care about the Fatal Fury games series again, not just who from FF was going to show up in KOF this year.

i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

AngelaAsakura
Bullet wrote:
Not to say that the previous Fatal Fury games were bad, they were not, but for me, this is where the series came into its own. I mean outside of FF proper, in the KOF games the Fatal Fury cast had shown up and developed quite well, but in their own series it was a bit stiff control wise and the water was becoming a bit stagnant to be honest until the Real Bout games. Fatal Fury 3 was a good game, but Real bout made me care about the Fatal Fury games series again, not just who from FF was going to show up in KOF this year.

My thoughts exactly. RBFF is one of the best games in the series. It and Real Bout Fatal Fury Special are my most favorite games in the series.

LIFE_IN_2D wrote:Angela, you still owe me some online bouts on this game!Andy Since you wounded my already weak sense of pride last time we played...Real Sad:$

Sorry. I actually thought that you had beat me more than I had you. Shrug
Edited by AngelaAsakura on 12. August 2010 03:07
farm6.staticflickr.com/5160/7182649455_b7024d0591.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/AngelaAsakura/
LIFE_IN_2D
AngelaAsakura wrote:

Sorry. I actually thought that you had beat me more than I had you. Shrug

Hahahaha! I was just playing ( grossly exaggerating) about my wounded pride Pfft . But I really do wanna play against you again, I really enjoyed it.
Edited by LIFE_IN_2D on 12. August 2010 04:20
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

Tobalman
Admittedly, I was raised on generous doses of SFII and the VS series. In turn, I didn't really give Fatal Fury its due, and have yet to appreciate it properly. I'll definitely have to devote some attention to the Real Bout series. Overall, it seems to play better than anything Capcom has done, IMO. In hindsight, I regret missing out on this series!
Edited by Tobalman on 13. August 2010 04:37

http://www.youtube.com/1sttobalman
peiper
there's something about this game and ff3 that i really don't like. maybe because i have real bout special and real bout 2 which imo are far better...

Tesu
Back in 1995, I saw this game on a 50" screen and was intrigued by the pace of the demonstration match. While I knew this was heavily based on FF3 (which I instantly dismissed), I knew that it would be a challenging, fun experience.

I definitely say the RB series is a milestone for SNK. 2 and Special - very well done.

Imagine if MOW had this same level of complexity...

Tesu!

Jump to Forum: