Donkey Kong
Spooky
is the new champion in
Helicopter with 1125 points
Helicopter

Thread Author: NeoGeoNinja
Thread ID: 2772
Thread Info
There are 23 posts in this thread, and it has been viewed 5962 times.
  View Thread
Who is here? 1 guest(s)
 Print Thread
R3PLAY - Arcade, Retro & Videogame Expo...
NeoGeoNinja
CAN'T SAY THAT I'M NOT EXCITED...
because the truth is: I really am Grin

i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/R3PLAY.jpg

I recently found out that a Videogaming Expo set up by the 'CGEU' will be hiting my 'backyard', Blackpool in Nov 2010! As if anything EVER happens around the corner from where I live?? Literally though - 10mins down the road. It's just plain sick! I'm totally pumped... TOTALLY! I also think that it's a great tribute to the Blackpool of 'old'... as it used to be a GREAT place to get your teeth into plenty of Arcade gaming action! To be honest, I'm just really grateful that this is actually happening so very locally, as I'm a grade A wuss when it comes to 'solo' distance travelling Shock

Here's some more info!
http://www.r3play.../index.php & http://www.cgeu.i...

Oh, and Gail Porter is going to be presenting the show... random?! Apparently she's bang into videogames so it should be pretty cool. Maybe she's even... good?!

PERHAPS...
just as importantly, there is going to be a SSFighter4 tournament on the Saturday and a Tekken 6 tournament come Sunday! May have to finally put time in on both games now prior to this - as I'd love to grab me some tournament action! Wink

Ninja
i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv359/NeoGeoNinja/NGNsignatureRev1.jpg

Murikov
This sounds too awesome, I would even watch "High School Musical" for such an expo in my neigbourhood! And especially you, Ninja, are darn lucky as you just live a stone's throw away! Well, have fun then! Thumbs Up

But why is SNK(P) missing at the Systems list? At least the Neo Geo is announced in the Consoles sector.
i.imgur.com/aLu1k0m.gif

RiKo
wow yes does look good, i want to go to one of those one day. I used to love the arcades in Blackpool. my aunt lived up there so i used to go up and see her sometimes. i was there last about year 1999. they still had some good machines then. i remember a sit-in 18-Wheeler machine and huge rooms of games.

good luck in SFIV, Tekken 6 tourneys Ninja, win them both for NG4L haha. I remember Merlin saying you were good
Mini-Reviews of films I have just watched : http://richwatmov...press.com/
Mini-Reviews of ZX Spectrum games : https://iplayzxsp...ress.com//

http://www.youtube.com/user/PhoenixRisen7
Bullet
Sounds awesome, I'd say take part in the tournaments for sure, win or lose you'll gain from the experience and enjoy some competition.

They are also fun to meet like minded people, enjoy good sir.

i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii174/Bulletsonnet/opr00FUJ.gif

STE C
I am well up for this sounds great hopefully bump into some of you.

merlin
Sounds like a great event and pretty lucky that it's so close to where you live Ninja. Wish something like that would happen near where I live! Hope you and Ste have a good time and let us know how it turned out. Good luck in the tournaments too.

Arcadian
Hiya, ta for creating a thread about R3PLAY (I'm one of the organisers) Smile

Just to confirm, in addition to AES & NGCD consoles, we will also have a number of MVS cabs present (three at the latest count).

So, hope to see some of you in November! Grin

NeoGeoNinja
Arcadian wrote:
Hiya, ta for creating a thread about R3PLAY (I'm one of the organisers) Smile

Just to confirm, in addition to AES & NGCD consoles, we will also have a number of MVS cabs present (three at the latest count).

So, hope to see some of you in November! Grin

HEY THERE...
you're welcome! Grin

What can I say? It's cool to have one of the organisers floating around here on NGFL! As you've noticed, I've put the word out (here and at a fellow Atari Jaguar forum I frequent) and hope to see some faces around.

I, like many here, am a BIG retro enthusiast, and the NEO•GEO is just one of the many great consoles I enjoy of yesteryear! As such, I'm really looking forward to heading down to R3PLAY and checking it out. If I brush up on my SFighter skills, you 'may' see me in EDojo's tourney too... we'll have to see.

It's great to have something like this so local to me too - literally just down the promenade! Yep... it's something I'm definitely looking forward too! It's great to see something like this happen in Blackpool too. It's quite the ideal venue if you think about it...

Ninja

NeoGeoNinja
LATEST UPDATE:
OK... I really don't know where to start with this one, and I think a few here will grasp the gravitation of such events (esp. RiKo & Ste C) but...

R3PLAY are hosting an official IK+ (International Karate Plus) tournament, none other than on the Amiga itself! Sound awesome no?

WAIT FOR IT...
the winner of the tournament earns the right to ACTUALLY face-off against
Archer Maclean HIMSELF on IK+, as he's actually going to be at the event!!!

My God... I can hardly contain myself!

Still sure you can't afford to come along Ste?? Pfft

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HERES... the link: http://www.r3play...thecreator
HERES... 'the man' Headbang

www.r3play.info/images/IKPlus_AMchallenge_600.jpg

NOW REMEMBER: "Boards... don't hit back! But bouncing balls and bombs on the other hand..."

Arcadian
NeoGeoNinja wrote:
Oh, and Gail Porter is going to be presenting the show... random?! Apparently she's bang into videogames so it should be pretty cool. Maybe she's even... good?!

Iain Lee's opening the show now, as Gail's gonna be on I'm A Celebrity ... Wink

Murikov wrote:
But why is SNK(P) missing at the Systems list? At least the Neo Geo is announced in the Consoles sector.

Apols about that.

Just for you, I dropped the Amstrad logo on the new poster and replaced it with something I think you'll like!

www.r3play.info/img/R3PLAY_Poster_lores.png

Finally, some important info from the R3PLAY homepage for y'all:

Please note that online ticket sales for R3PLAY will cease on Sunday 31st October at 10:00pm (or earlier if they sell out: we are already very low on stocks of single-day tickets for the Saturday).

From Monday 1st November you will only be able to buy advance tickets from the WHO shop in Blackpool (whilst supplies last). Either buy them in-store at 30-32 Coronation Street, Blackpool FY1 4PB or reserve them by phone using a credit/debit card (01253 291188) and collect in person on the weekend of the show.

Tickets for the event will only be available to buy on the door on Sunday 7th November.

Come and find me at the show you guys, I'll have a "Dave Moore" badge on because ... well ... that's me name! Grin
Edited by Arcadian on 27. October 2010 03:19

TF73
Would have been awesome to attend this event! And to play against Archer in IK+ would have been something to tell my grand childrenThumbs Up

Great to see events like this is happening, if only this could happen in Norway....
Edited by TF73 on 27. October 2010 20:12

NeoGeoNinja
Arcadian wrote:
Iain Lee's opening the show now, as Gail's gonna be on I'm A Celebrity ... Wink

MILDLY GUTTED...
about this, as I've never even heard of this Iain Lee bloke! My GF has though, so I guess that's something, although she couldn't, for the LIFE of her, place what she knows him from. I watched a video of him on YouTube to try and familiarise myself (spurned on by the guys on the RetroGamer forums, who seemed to be keen to down play the guy?). I found Iain's knowledge of the 'Monkee's' to be most impressive! Grin

Arcadian wrote:
Apols about that.

Just for you, I dropped the Amstrad logo on the new poster and replaced it with something I think you'll like!

HAHAHA!...
were very appreciative of that Mr Moore! However, I seemingly now have an overwhelming sense of guilt directed towards the absence of the Amstrad logo! Shock

I think... I think it's the 'Acorn' who should have taken the bullet! Hmm

After all, Amstrad were the one's who brought us the MIGHT of the GX4000 *cough*

Arcadian wrote:
Come and find me at the show you guys, I'll have a "Dave Moore" badge on because ... well ... that's me name! Grin

HEY DAVE...
I'll definitely have an eye out for ya! You'll definitely be able to spot me quite easily, as I'll be the ONLY guy there with an eyeball, cleanly removed from it's socket, hanging gingerly from the end of it's optic nerve fibres solely with one intent: looking for you!

TF73 wrote:
Would have been awesome to attend this event! And to play against Archer in IK+ would have been something to tell my grand children Thumbs Up

I'M GLAD TO SEE...
at least one person here understands how amazing such an opportunity is! I've been playing IK+ on and off all my life, mainly as a child on the A500. To finally have the chnace to play the guy who physically MADE THE GAME ITSELF?? It's kinda mindblowing imo...

Ninja

TF73
I'M GLAD TO SEE...
at least one person here understands how amazing such an opportunity is! I've been playing IK+ on and off all my life, mainly as a child on the A500. To finally have the chnace to play the guy who physically MADE THE GAME ITSELF?? It's kinda mindblowing imo...

Ninja[/quote]

I grew up with this game on C64 and it was a amazing game that has passed the test of time.
The Amiga verision is also excellent with a special mention to the music also that is nothing else but superb! One of the best games ever made!
Edited by TF73 on 29. October 2010 23:22

NeoGeoNinja
RATHER EPIC...
is probably a quite fitting description for this weekend gone!

Without spending far too long languishing finer details on the event that was R3PLAY, I have to say that it was unbelievable. I have never been to a gaming convention before, so it has amazing too see how many PPL actually came to this event. It was completely rammed, but NOT overly... it was just right overall.

I don't really know where to start. There were consoles, common, uncommon, rare and goddamn obscure everywhere. Tables had been set-up with said consoles with boxes of games designated for use with the associated hardware. Many of the games were actually accompanied with convertors so that games from all regions could be used on one modded console (i.e. SNES, MD etc). Other consoles like the 'older' 8-Bit gen had ridiculously awesome flash carts that plugged into the console as normal complete with a removable SD Card loaded with roms! Whilst I think that this method was potentially the way forward for most consoles there, nothing beats the nostalgia for none-hardcore gamers of just picking up a familiar cart and ramming it into the slot! Similarly, Amiga's had loaded HD's with games and other Commodore systems too.

Unfortunately the NEO•GEO only had a few games, but me and my friends spent quite some time on KOF98! (the other two were RoboArmy and GhostPilots). There was an NGCD too, but again, only with Neo Drift Out! I think they should have perhaps offered a range of 'back-ups' to choose from, as other consoles there did this already (DC, PS1 etc all had a nice selection of back-ups to try out).

They had a JAP Arcade cab section which was any shmup fans wet-dream come true (Seriously!). I managed to try my hand at games such as MuchiMuchi Pork, Ketsui and Akai Katana - amongst other great games such as Psyvariar 2, Deathsmiles, Sengoku Ace and a sneaky SFZero2 & Cosmc Smash cab too! I actually took part in the shmups tournament too, and whilst I did ok (I REALLY cannot use a stick to save my own life!) there was some REAL talent on show there. One guy in particular was, basically... a master. His scores are legitimately unobtainable! He truly was a combination of D.A.R.Y.L. and Johnny 5. Most of the cabs were either Astro City or Egret 2's. They were all lovely Grin

Also there were floor stands for the Wii showcasing up and coming games (like Goldeneye and NBA Jam, Kirby's Epic Yarn etc) and same for Sony too. SEGA also had their spot (curiously?) right at the back of the show. They had a Sonic 4 comp: set the fastest time on a pre-determined zone and win ALL of SEGA's games of 2011! Not bad huh?

I could really go on and on and on about what was there. Truth is, you shoulda been there to see it for yourselves! (UK Residents, I'm talking to you!). Hehe... I'm kidding of course, but I doubt you'dve been disappointed. Speaking of which, I managed to hook up briefly with STE C! That's right: STE made the journey!

OF COURSE...
I couldn't close without word of the tournament eh? Hahaha! My SSF4 participation was dreadful! Not only do I not actually like the game I was marred by the fact that I actually played badly too. This coupled with beyond stiff competition and I was out for the count. Nah, I didn't enjoy that one. I made a joke about cracking out some 3rdStrike or CVS2 'later', but I got a dirty look. How dare I, eh?

As for Tekken 6? I actually did alright in this one! I beat all my opponents up until reaching a guy who was actually from Electronics Dojo itself. Needless to say his ability to keep opponent off the ground and afloat in mid space was (depending on how you see it?) impressive. Still, I didn't give him an easy time but he nailed me soon enough.

All in all, great fun! The more hardcore stick using dudes took it to the finals in the end though. Impressive bunch.

I WAS PRESENT...
for the full duration: both days - 20hrs in total! I can tell you though, it soon flew and I still didn't manage to get round everything as much as I'dve liked. I think a LARGE stall filled with collectable videogames at the back of the show probably had something to do with it! Grin

An obvious thing to say, but I'd love to see another! The atmosphere was fantastic and, it sounds perhaps peculiar to say this, but you ACTUALLY felt at home there!

If there was ever a next time, perhaps this would be a great opportunity for an NGFL meet up? Hmm

Ninja

merlin
Sounds amazing Ninja thanks for the report. I'd love to go in the future to something like this.
I hope they do it again. I like the sound of all those arcade cabs with shoot 'em ups. So what
did you think of Akai Katana? I'm desperate to give that one a try myself. Pretty cool that they had the wondrous Ghost Pilots there too! Wink As for using a stick Ninja I'm sure it wouldn't take you that long to become good with one if you put your mind to it.
Edited by merlin on 08. November 2010 17:20

STE C
Ninja has said it all above, I was simply overwelmed by the experience it was WAY WAY bigger than I expected and a retro fans dream. I am sure Ninja wont mind if I mention it had I think 3 MVS cabs to play which had KOF 03, MSX and pretty sure 2. MSX was at the front with the big Cave hitters and considering its age always seemed to have people playing it.

Next time I am booking a weekend off work and will spend the whole 2 days with Ninja playing all them games and being competitive, my 1 day was simply not enough as I had to also get down to the promenade to see the brilliant H2 Overdrive ( arcade sequel to Hydro Thunder) and Deadstorm Pirates , 2 games I really had to play.

Craig
Yeah R3play was great...
Just got back from Blackpool this morning...
The event was packed with people but most machines were actually very easy to get on!!!
The only was which were difficult to get on were Akai Katana, Muchi Muchi Pork and Deathsmiles.
I have heard next years event is already being planned Smile
Great news!!!!

TF73
It's almost as if I envy you guys! It sounds like it was a lot of fun and a wet dream for every retro gamerSmile

LIFE_IN_2D
Nice they had better give the Neo-geo some love Angry ! Glad to hear that the MVS cabs were busy. This sounds like an awesome event, those of you who attended are very lucky.
i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86/sevenheadedunicorn/sig-1.jpg

shot in the eye
shot in the brain
shot in the ass...

hitorkori
it was excellent lots of neo love & mvs cabs a top loader & aes set up too Smile

Jump to Forum: